Threespot Media Reviews

4.0
Bill Barbot and William Colgrove

1. Hard working, transparent company

I have been working at Threespot Media full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Employees at Threespot work hard for clients who "do good", which makes coming into work so much easier. The company's owners are transparent about almost every facet of the company's business, and host monthly town hall style meetings to go over news and to rely information. Benefits are better than any other company I've worked for and the company's values are in line with people in the "do unto others" mindset.

Cons

Because Threespot works for such prestigious clients in the non profit and government sector, there is a lot of pressure to do really great work. It can be stressful, but at the same time it does tend to bring out the best in people.

2. Different from the rest

I have been working at Threespot Media full-time

Pros

Threespot allows me to do positive work for the world while staying at a creative agency. Instead of working for any client that will pay the bills like so many other agencies, Threespot is focused on serving "the good guys," as they like to say. This focus attracts a very engaged, community-spirited group of people. Threespot's other main differentiator is how they encourage employee involvement in the company’s evolution and "the business of the business." They currently host monthly "town halls" where employees hear about what's going on with the company, including financial goals, business development, current work, launches, winning pitches, employees’ personal events, etc. These meetings also serve as a place where you can voice any concerns or ideas you have for Threespot, clients, the industry, or anything else you have on your mind. While this type of environment can be challenging at times (see below), all in all it creates a very open, transparent, family-style workplace. Definitely the biggest pro for Threespot is the people. You get to work with a super-smart, creative, wanting-to-do-good-in-the-world, hard-working, fun group of people.

Cons

As mentioned above, Threespot has a very open and transparent culture where employees are informed and involved with the company in a more granular way than most places. While this is empowering and demands a lot of personal responsibility, I sometimes miss a more formal, traditional style of leadership. It's a catch-22, for sure. As other reviews have mentioned, a motivated, entrepreneurial-spirited person is the best fit for Threespot. Because the company hierarchy is smaller and "flatter," there isn't a lot of room to move up. So while people seem to stay longer than most agencies, if they are looking to "move up the ladder," they will eventually outgrow Threespot and move on (although it seems pretty reluctantly). Not sure if there is much they can do about that without drastically changing the culture, but it's a challenge nonetheless.

Keep trying to find the balance of open and transparent yet involved management, so employees feel a part of things, but also guided.

3. Direction and leadership are lacking.

I have been working at Threespot Media full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The client roster is impressive for an indie DC agency. If you look back far enough in time some of the work coming out of here is innovative. If you happen to be more junior then this place is a good introduction to the agency world without all the pressure of a big creative shop working with blue chip clients. There is also a casual family feel which is both good and bad.

Cons

An underwhelming and very lost leadership team has burned away most of the promise this place seemed to have a few years back. You get the sense most of the people running Threespot would rather be doing something else. The company isn't going anywhere as a result so if you're looking for opportunities to build your portfolio there are better places to do this kind of work with more competent people in charge.

Find a way to attract and keep more senior people. So many senior people have left or been laid off over the past two years and it shows.

5. My experience has been great

I have been working at Threespot Media full-time

Pros

Threespot does excellent work for amazing clients. The people who work here are extremely creative and very smart. The office location is right on the metro and bus lines - all plusses!

Cons

The flat, hands-off management style can feel difficult for people who need a bit more day to day guidance and feedback.

Management could stand to either promote senior practitioners to manage junior folks, or to be less hands-on with projects, spending more time mentoring junior team members.

6. In a word, awesome.

I have been working at Threespot Media full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Threespot is an amazing place to work - I've been here a number of years now, and have never tired of the amazing people, the awesome clients, and the insane levels of creativity that greet me when I walk through the door every day. I've always felt motivated to do my very best because I'm surrounded by rockstars who set a great example. There is a level of trust and ownership here that is very rare in a professional setting - Spots are encouraged to take charge of their piece of the machine that is Threespot, and are trusted to keep it moving, make it better, or move it in another direction entirely.

Cons

This can be a tough environment for a person who isn't self-directed. BUT, if such a person is willing to step out of his or her comfort zone and give taking charge of their process a shot, any feelings of directionlessness can turn around quickly. Also, someone who is looking for a specific growth path might feel disappointed, as Threespot's hierarchy is relatively flat - one must feel satisfaction in taking on new tasks, bigger clients, or tougher projects in order to mark their professional progression.

Remember that not all people are the same in terms of motivation, goals, and professional growth. Be willing to set individual professional goals and foster the critical thinking needed for each of your direct reports to push themselves forward, and Threespot will flourish as a result!

A great tenure

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Threespot Media full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Threespot is a unique and remarkable agency. They're an awesome group of people with a fun culture... there is no small amount of effort put into creating an enjoyable place to work. The work also tends to be excellent: with a client list including the National Park Service, Planned Parenthood, Peace Corps, and the Brookings Institution, you're bound to be working on something new and interesting at regular intervals. Also, the Threespot notion of "we do good work for great clients" does hold some real value in my opinion. Coming from a background at advertising agencies, I can honestly say that my projects at Threespot stood out as work to take pride in.

Cons

On the flip side of Threespot being a unique and remarkable agency, it is very much still an agency, and thus suffers from many of the common agency troubles: accommodating client needs frequently leads to hiccups in resourcing and creeping project scope, non-technical account/project management staff frequently over-promises or under-sells fundamentally technical deliverables, and process tends to favor creative freedom over technical constraints. These factors together tend to create feast-or-famine workloads, and tend to yield outdated solutions. While I didn't feel that Threespot was doing any worse than similar companies in this sector, I did notice increasingly frequent turmoil as they grew in size (probably also very common).

None. I was always able to pull them aside and talk to them directly (which I will miss dearly at any large company that I might work at in the future). I think they're doing a good job of recognizing where they need to course-correct, and I've been proud to work with/for them.

8. One of the better agencies in DC

Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Threespot Media full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Incredibly smart, creative people who are passionate about what they do and who they do it for. Makes a genuine effort to support and show appreciation to employees through good benefits, work from home policies, and social events like happy hours and scavenger hunts. The work/life balance seems to be better than at most agencies.

Cons

The downside of incredibly smart, creative people is that they tend to over-think/complicate things which causes stress, endless amounts of meetings, and battles between egos. They try very hard to create a social environment, but the atmosphere is still a bit off...

Too much process can be a bad thing, try to simplify. Stick to the principles that the company was founded on and don't veer too far towards profitability over quality of work/life for employees, otherwise you'll be just like all the other churn and burn agencies in DC.

9. Threespot is full of talented, creative and brilliant people

Current Employee - Designer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Designer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Threespot Media full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Throughout the office, there's a general feeling of empowerment. If you feel like a job should be done, no one will hold you back. It's a great place to start your career; managers are open to new ideas and willing to explain their reasoning. People work their butts off and still leave time in their day to talk about their lives, make jokes and drink beers.

Cons

Titles are wish-washy. This helps some workers create innovative work without worrying where their job requirements end; on the other hand, it often causes confusion. Without job definition, there's an octopus effect that overworks employees and weakens their main purpose.

As a young employee, new to the field, I sometimes feel really confused and frustrated with my job. When I'm in this moment, I'd really like to feel more welcome to grab a manager and talk it out.

10. Great People who do great work

Former Employee - Developer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Developer in Washington, DC

I worked at Threespot Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great and the client list is awesome. After you put in a couple years here, you can get a job pretty much anywhere. Happy hours and scavenger hunts are great for breaking down any potential barriers between teams.

Cons

Some of the technology is outdated. Developers and designers don't have the best tool available. They tend to stick with things they know in order to give accurate estimates and maximize profitability.

Too much process and too many meetings.

Threespot's not a bad place...as long as you get a good team

I have been working at Threespot Media

Pros

Like any other place, it's all about who you work with. Threespot has some amazingly talented people, and some people that have serious personality deficits.

Cons

If you end up working with a challenging personality, it can be tough. This place is all about relationships. Go to the happy hours, go to people's art exhibits. Find ways to interact outside of work and it will pay huge dividends.