Threespot Media
www.threespot.com Washington, DC 50 to 149 Employees

Threespot Media Reviews

Updated Jun 16, 2014

Bill Barbot and William Colgrove

My experience has been great

ProsThreespot does excellent work for amazing clients. The people who work here are extremely creative and very smart. The office location is right on the metro and bus lines - all plusses!

ConsThe flat, hands-off management style can feel difficult for people who need a bit more day to day guidance and feedback.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement could stand to either promote senior practitioners to manage junior folks, or to be less hands-on with projects, spending more time mentoring junior team members.

In a word, awesome.

ProsThreespot is an amazing place to work - I've been here a number of years now, and have never tired of the amazing people, the awesome clients, and the insane levels of creativity that greet me when I walk through the door every day. I've always felt motivated to do my very best because I'm surrounded by rockstars who set a great example. There is a level of trust and ownership here that is very rare in a professional setting - Spots are encouraged to take charge of their piece of the machine that is Threespot, and are trusted to keep it moving, make it better, or move it in another direction entirely.

ConsThis can be a tough environment for a person who isn't self-directed. BUT, if such a person is willing to step out of his or her comfort zone and give taking charge of their process a shot, any feelings of directionlessness can turn around quickly. Also, someone who is looking for a specific growth path might feel disappointed, as Threespot's hierarchy is relatively flat - one must feel satisfaction in taking on new tasks, bigger clients, or tougher projects in order to mark their professional progression.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that not all people are the same in terms of motivation, goals, and professional growth. Be willing to set individual professional goals and foster the critical thinking needed for each of your direct reports to push themselves forward, and Threespot will flourish as a result!

A great tenure

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsThreespot is a unique and remarkable agency. They're an awesome group of people with a fun culture... there is no small amount of effort put into creating an enjoyable place to work. The work also tends to be excellent: with a client list including the National Park Service, Planned Parenthood, Peace Corps, and the Brookings Institution, you're bound to be working on something new and interesting at regular intervals. Also, the Threespot notion of "we do good work for great clients" does hold some real value in my opinion. Coming from a background at advertising agencies, I can honestly say that my projects at Threespot stood out as work to take pride in.

ConsOn the flip side of Threespot being a unique and remarkable agency, it is very much still an agency, and thus suffers from many of the common agency troubles: accommodating client needs frequently leads to hiccups in resourcing and creeping project scope, non-technical account/project management staff frequently over-promises or under-sells fundamentally technical deliverables, and process tends to favor creative freedom over technical constraints. These factors together tend to create feast-or-famine workloads, and tend to yield outdated solutions. While I didn't feel that Threespot was doing any worse than similar companies in this sector, I did notice increasingly frequent turmoil as they grew in size (probably also very common).

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. I was always able to pull them aside and talk to them directly (which I will miss dearly at any large company that I might work at in the future). I think they're doing a good job of recognizing where they need to course-correct, and I've been proud to work with/for them.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One of the better agencies in DC

Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsIncredibly smart, creative people who are passionate about what they do and who they do it for. Makes a genuine effort to support and show appreciation to employees through good benefits, work from home policies, and social events like happy hours and scavenger hunts. The work/life balance seems to be better than at most agencies.

ConsThe downside of incredibly smart, creative people is that they tend to over-think/complicate things which causes stress, endless amounts of meetings, and battles between egos. They try very hard to create a social environment, but the atmosphere is still a bit off...

Advice to Senior ManagementToo much process can be a bad thing, try to simplify. Stick to the principles that the company was founded on and don't veer too far towards profitability over quality of work/life for employees, otherwise you'll be just like all the other churn and burn agencies in DC.

Threespot is full of talented, creative and brilliant people

Designer (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsThroughout the office, there's a general feeling of empowerment. If you feel like a job should be done, no one will hold you back. It's a great place to start your career; managers are open to new ideas and willing to explain their reasoning. People work their butts off and still leave time in their day to talk about their lives, make jokes and drink beers.

ConsTitles are wish-washy. This helps some workers create innovative work without worrying where their job requirements end; on the other hand, it often causes confusion. Without job definition, there's an octopus effect that overworks employees and weakens their main purpose.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs a young employee, new to the field, I sometimes feel really confused and frustrated with my job. When I'm in this moment, I'd really like to feel more welcome to grab a manager and talk it out.

Great People who do great work

Developer (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsThe people are great and the client list is awesome. After you put in a couple years here, you can get a job pretty much anywhere. Happy hours and scavenger hunts are great for breaking down any potential barriers between teams.

ConsSome of the technology is outdated. Developers and designers don't have the best tool available. They tend to stick with things they know in order to give accurate estimates and maximize profitability.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo much process and too many meetings.

Threespot's not a bad place...as long as you get a good team

Washington, DC

ProsLike any other place, it's all about who you work with. Threespot has some amazingly talented people, and some people that have serious personality deficits.

ConsIf you end up working with a challenging personality, it can be tough. This place is all about relationships. Go to the happy hours, go to people's art exhibits. Find ways to interact outside of work and it will pay huge dividends.

Excellent Indie Agency

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsThreespot provides a truly creative work environment with a very strong staff. Threespot is great for mid-level agency professionals seeking an opportunity to do great work for non-profits, associations and other organizations. The work life balance is paramount and it is a family environment.

ConsThreespot is strong in large-scale website redesigns -- it's work is primarily based in the non-profit and association worlds. There's limited upside for senior staff and the pay is less than at other gaencies (but so are the hours).

Advice to Senior ManagementThe senior management team at Threespot is solid. They might consider giving more control to senior staff and/or implementing more development activities.

The little agency that could?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThreespot has some very passionate and talented people on their creative staff. They have an amazing client list and care deeply about socially progressive issues.

ConsYou get the feeling that the management layer of the agency are living in the past. They seem to be frustrated that all they are doing are large re-designs for advocacy type organization but don't really understand how to expand their offerings. The work environment is really odd - conversation is frowned upon. They try to create a "library" type environment so that people can focus don't have to work typical agency hours. But people still put in 65-70 hour weeks quite a bit. So not a "fun" work environment and long, grueling hours - worst of both worlds.

Worked for Threespot Media? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Threespot Media reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Threespot Media CEO Bill Barbot and William Colgrove. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Threespot Media employees.