Threshold Enterprises

Updated September 9, 2014
1.9

Ira Goldberg

Continuous Improvement!

I have been working at Threshold Enterprises full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Threshold is a self-starter dream… jobs and functions (beyond line staff) are flexible and dynamic. You are limited only by our own initiative and capability. The company has grown quickly and in doing so there is much ground to cover. Knowledge workers have wide latitude of responsibilities and can define and cover just about any initiative. Company is undergoing a positive transformation.

Cons

Threshold is over 30 years old… so it has a deep and rich culture. Like any culture it has both positive and negative aspects. Some business practices and habits are a bit date and “stuck in the past”. Business processes (some) need refreshing.

Amazing place to grow

I have been working at Threshold Enterprises full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, relaxed, flexible. The CEO built this company out of the trunk of his car and now employs over 900 people in Santa Cruz county. He is brilliant and has a great sense of humor. Changes are happening to streamline processes and the company continues to grow.

Cons

The unhappy people like most that post on this website. Be grateful you have a job and if your unhappy go somewhere else!

A very negative work environment provided by a company stuck in the past.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scotts Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scotts Valley, CA

I worked at Threshold Enterprises full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Minimal benefits cost the employee a lot, especially if they are trying to provide for their family. You get paid.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement are very political. If you know the right people, you have an advantage. Morale in this company is very low. Management doesn't incorporate "all-hands" meetings to keep employees invested in the company. Management treats employees poorly. Culture is lacking, and perks? Parking is a daily challenge.

Treat your employees with dignity and respect. Then maybe you can effectively change the waning morale in this company. It comes from the top down.

Great for educational experience, not a career setting.

Current Employee - Lab Analyst in Scotts Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Lab Analyst in Scotts Valley, CA

I have been working at Threshold Enterprises full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good people to work with, low stress work environment, and lots of potential to learn and gain experience in a industry setting.

Cons

Poor management, lack of employee appreciation, low pay, poor training, outdated/inexistent operational procedures, lack of motivation, high turnover rate, and underemployed.

Provide incentives, increase pay and/or over staff to catch up on outdated processes and prepare for high turnover.

Terrible work environment, with little to no compensation.

Former Employee - Packaging Operator in Scotts Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Packaging Operator in Scotts Valley, CA

I worked at Threshold Enterprises full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most of the co-workers are great.

Cons

There are so many problems with this company I don't know where to begin. First off I would like to comment on some of the positive reviews, either they worked inside the sales department, or they are the higher ups writing them. I worked my way around manufacturing, packaging, and quality control.and found it absolutely horrid. The work site itself is a mess. Three of the seven lines were illegally set up. When an audit from either the FDA or OSHA would come the packaging department would put signs on lines five and six stating that they were construction zones even though the line was still running, manufacturing department would deep clean the whole week that the auditors were there. Management, when asked, would not even hesitate to tell workers that the reason was because if they ran product through the audit that the plant would get shut down. 90% of all the equipment used is from the 70's and doesn't work right. The language barrier is also a huge problem in these departments, although the workers are very nice, it is almost impossible to learn anything if you do not speak spanish.

Remember that the people making your product are people and not machines. Give them a good work environment and they will give you good product. Stop overworking them, give them new machines, and train them properly. A fool uses the revolving door strategy while a genius works to grow with their employees, as it costs more to train new employees than to accommodate the ones you have.

Inadequate Place To Work At

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Scotts Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Scotts Valley, CA

I worked at Threshold Enterprises full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you must absolutely find a job in Santa Cruz, you can work here. Nonetheless, please do yourself a favor and work elsewhere. Your mental health will thank you for it.

Cons

-Low Pay
    -Low Morale
    -Very unorganized
    -Number one thing what your co-workers will talk about with you: how unhappy they are about "Threshold".

Increase pay and benefits for your employees.

Unfair, unsafe, unjustified management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scotts Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scotts Valley, CA

I have been working at Threshold Enterprises full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hires anyone including ex cons.

Cons

In my one year of working there I came to realize the monarchy that is Threshold. Opportunities for advancement were very limited to your acquaintances of higher management. Your work performance was solely based on how fond of you management was. I worked in the packaging department and although I was capable of performing several duties beyond my scope, it was never appreciated or recognized. For example your daily output per line was 3,500 bottles. I was capable of having an output of up to 7,000 yet management would call me in to the office for acquiring "too much time" cleaning my machine (aprox. 30 min). There were also several incidents were employees were severely hurt, but Threshold ruled it as negligence of the employee. Their machines are rundown and unsafe. Efforts to have the mechanics "fix" the equipment were worthless, because the ether left it to another shift or did a "half-fast job" to have the machine running again.

Management needs interpersonal communication skills to be able to communicate in an adequate manner with the staff, rather than threatening or harassing them.

VERY POOR QUALITY

Current Employee - Packaging in Scotts Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Packaging in Scotts Valley, CA

I have been working at Threshold Enterprises full-time (more than an year)

Pros

3 Different shifts, and a lot of good people with a minimum wage salary. Everybody makes the same money.

Cons

I work in Packaging Department where employees put the tablets, liquids or cream inside the bottle. The employees need to wear a lab coat during their shift. Lab coats are less than number of employees. So the employees need it to wear the same for several days or use somebody else. Inside the building it gets so hot, sometimes 84 degrees and the packers are sweating over the product. Is not water inside, so the employees do not drink enough. Myself I spoke to one of supervisors about this, but the supervisor said " IRA (owner) doesn't want to pay for the air conditioning" The lab coats are returned dirty after washed. DO NOT BUY THE PRODUCT, the company make the employees to work under bad conditions.

Managers and Supervisors: You need to support the employees. They are the ones who are doing the work and you the one who makes the money You need to talk to IRA the owner and let him know about the unfair conditions.

Bad management

Current Employee - Fulfillment Handler in Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Handler in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at Threshold Enterprises full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, nice coworkers. it is fun when we have to jump in the shelves.

Cons

Management need to get a training. They don't have skills how to treat employees. Supervisors many times doesn't have any clue how to run their department. Employees have so much fun watching this.
    Human Resources have few employees that it is difficult to trust them, because they DO NOT HELP the employee.

I work in FULFILLMENT DEPARTMENT and I would to start with the SENIOR MANAGER, who always support the other MANAGER no matter what. They become the best friends and both need to learn how to treat employees. They don't care about employees, but they only care about looking good in front of the owner IRA.

Cheap

Former Employee - General Administrative in Scotts Valley, CA
    Former Employee - General Administrative in Scotts Valley, CA

I worked at Threshold Enterprises full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Can not think of anything

Cons

The CEO is cheap and a coward, he has people like Don Cleveland and Brain Cayton do his dirty work. The bathrooms our dirty, very few places to eat your lunch, pay increases are never on time. They have a CFO that have been at work only a dozen times for a year. Management are friends of Ira and have no experience in management. I would not advise anyone to take the products the CEO Ira buys the cheapest product he can - once we saw metal scrapes in tablets and we were told to just bottled it anyway. Scary place don't take Source Naturals or work at Threshold. The craziest unhealthy group of people I have ever seen!

You should be ashamed of yourself!