Thresholds Reviews

Mark Ishaug

1. Great NPO

Former Employee - Team Leader in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Chicago, IL

I worked at Thresholds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very person-centered approach to mental health recovery, excellent mission, and a lot of opportunity for growth within the agency.

Cons

Pay is not comparable to the demands of the job, often asked to do more than is feasible within a typical work day.

Advice to Management

Find ways to compensate your employees in a way that reflects the demands of the work, invest more in your staff, and focus more on training your leadership staff.

2. Terrible pay and lack of supervision for very hard work

Current Employee - Community Support Specialist II in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Community Support Specialist II in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Thresholds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can gain a lot of experience and knowledge working with individuals with severe and persistent mental illness at Thresholds. For those working toward licensure, you can accrue hours (but more on that in the cons). The new employee orientation was very thorough and benefits were decent. Schedule can be somewhat flexible (if you finish all your visits for the day before 5 pm you can head home and type up case notes remotely).

Cons

Okay, about those licensing hours...as a member of a CSS team, I was told that Team Leaders were too busy to provide individual supervision for those working toward their LCSW and that group supervision was not offered to anyone whose Team Leader was an LCSW. I was told to count the morning team meetings as supervision, which under Illinois does technically count but it's not sufficient, particularly for new grads. This is difficult work and if Thresholds wants to support its staff, they need to offer actual supervision. They also need to compensate fairly. Again, this job is grueling. You're driving around all day, often without time to eat, trying to see members and hit your quota (which is next to impossible) and the starting pay is $32K? That's crap. I took the job because I was desperate but left very quickly. It's just not worth it. Also, the CSS teams need to work on a more streamlined new staff training and operating with better communication as things were constantly falling through the cracks.

Advice to Management

Pay your staff what they're worth. Recognize that this is difficult work and support them. Offer actual supervision.

3. Great NPO

I worked at Thresholds

Pros

Great mission, very client and recovery focused. The people that work there are passionate and very caring. Our clients were also very endearing. Huge array of programs!

Cons

Pay is low, but that is to be expected with an NPO. Funding issues cause some anxiety when it comes to job/program security.

Advice to Management

Try to find a way to compensate your employees better, in order to prevent burnout. The demands of the job are completely incongruent with the pay.

Would Not Recommend Working Here

Former Employee - Case Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Thresholds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

That I was employed. Some of the staff were nice. I liked being outside of the office, but not all day long.

Cons

Pay is below average. Expectations are ridiculous and interfere with quality service delivery.. Supervisors don't effectively supervise. Management is top heavy and makes the big bucks.

Advice to Management

Hire and train competent supervisors. Demonstrate appreciation for staff through increasing pay.

Great people to work with

I worked at Thresholds

Pros

The clients and coworkers are great.

Cons

The pay could be better

leadership?

I worked at Thresholds

Pros

They have some excellent staff dedicated to behavioral health and quality of life to the clients

Cons

Salary is terrible and department heads vision of what they believe is the right path is a joke. The lack of consistency with duties and goals come across as someone suffering with undiagnosed multiple personalities.

Advice to Management

Go back for training

Good experience

Current Employee - Community Support Specialist III
    Current Employee - Community Support Specialist III

I have been working at Thresholds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Respect for their clients. Harm reduction.

Cons

Office atmosphere is unbearable. 7 clinicians are jammed in a tiny office with 4 computers and expected to bill for five hours of service per day. It's completely unreasonable.

Advice to Management

Care about your work environment as morale is important when your employees do such emotionally draining work.

Very difficult place to work in an already challenging field.

Former Employee - Community Support Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Community Support Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Thresholds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working directly with individuals in need of physical and mental assistance

Cons

Their "peer-to-peer" model in which consumers of mental health are deliberately hired (often times in positions of management) seems useful in concept, however, in practice much of the staff have severe mental disorders and as such are difficult to work with. In many ways working at Thresholds is like emerging yourself in the environment in which you are attempting to aid "member's" (clients) in escaping from.

Advice to Management

Implement previously discontinued financial incentives for working at Thresholds and eliminate the "peer-to-peer" program as it does more harm than good to the company as a whole.

No room for growth

Current Employee - Community Support Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Community Support Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Thresholds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Providing needed help to members is basically the only positive part. The people that are hired are generally hard working and compassionate.

Cons

Poor compensation and lack of support from management. Productivity target is not reasonable. The people who are hired who are compassionate and hard working get burnt out quickly due to the workload and lack of sincere support.

Advice to Management

It is impossible to get all the workload done in the time allotted. The services we provide are important and challenging but it seems the only part of our work is definitely not valued.

Great agency with great mission.

Former Employee - Employment Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Employment Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Thresholds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at Thresholds really changed my outlook on life and gave me experiences I will take with me for the rest of my career. The training for ES was very valuable and if you're interested in vocational rehabilitation, Thresholds has the best of the best supported employment department, hands down. The team I worked for was extremely skilled and came from different backgrounds which really contributed to the services provided and my day. The benefits were similar to many other agencies. There is plenty of room for growth. I am really going to miss the staff and my members.

Cons

The software and technology could use some reworking. It freezes often and doesn't always save.

Advice to Management

Rework caseloads based off of travel and geographic location

RSS Feed </> Embed