Thrift Town Thrift Store

CEO

1. Supervising Sales Associate

Former Employee - Supervising Sales Associate in San Leandro, CA
    Former Employee - Supervising Sales Associate in San Leandro, CA

I worked at Thrift Town Thrift Store full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Treated well by management and sales/floor crew. If you want to stay busy, moving around the sales floor all day long, then this is job have. Great job to get your cardio rhythm going. There are also opportunities available to branch out your talents in the areas of store management and assistant store management. Your contributions as an employee are noted and valued.

Cons

Not always fun to work in a store with no air conditioning.
    At the start of every shift, you are required to participate in a brief session of mild muscle stretching and bending in order to loosen up and to get the blood flowing. (Not too bad really).
    The required uniform is a very uncomfortable apron that ties around the neck and at the waist (It's cute if you don't move around too much) but it requires constant adjusting. The break times are 15 minutes long. This barely gives enough time to take a decent break, since, if you want to take your break outside the store, to grab a few breaths of fresh air and cool off a little, going outside means you are required to take off the apron and name tag and place them inside of your employee locker before heading outside. They provide small lockers with the number combination locks, (like the type we had in high school) : ) turn right--then left--and right-and unlock-next: open locker next: take off lanyard, take off apron and stuff them in the locker-next: close door and secure lock Next: uh oh! Don't forget to grab your snack money out of your purse before locking the door! Oh brother! ! Note: 10 minutes of your break time has already passed. You now have 5 minutes to get your snack, eat it while performing your ceremonial unlock procedure, retrieve your name tag and apron and put them back on as you are heading back to your work area! Whew! ! Unless you are full of energy, physically fit, and enjoy a serious break time challenge, don't take a break outside the store. Otherwise you will be hustling to make it back in time.

Advice to Management

Only require purses and personal items to be kept locked up. Provide a shelf with a cubby or bin for each employee to drop off and pick up the tag and apron. Keep a few bins located closer to the exit doors, for those employees who enjoy breaking outside for a breath of fresh air and maybe a quick call phone call on their cell phone.

2. Customer Service Excellence

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Thrift Town Thrift Store full-time

Pros

Being able to provide great upcycled clothing and pre-owned products to the community at large. Great customers that are excited to find great buys. In addition, the satisfaction of knowing that my job is contributing to my local community.

Cons

Watching young management have consistent missed opportunities with regard to increasing their shopping customer base. Training is delegated with no regard to competence levels. Pay should reflect individual productivity levels.

Advice to Management

Thrift Town is a great store with an outstanding mission. There are many highly productive employees that care about their job, the customers and giving 100% at all times. There will always be the element of part time students and pass throughs that contribute at sub optimal levels which is to be expected. However, with that being said--Team management are hard working, dedicated and sincere but might not "see the forest through the trees." At the start of shifts (when daily work assignments are designated) managers spew out projection numbers; obviously based on last years sales..THAT FALL ON DEAF EARS. This means nothing to some that simply 'do their jobs' and are satisfied with working for a paycheck and looking for their next 10 min break. There is too much rotation of duties/departments. When a 'challenged' employee is great at something..leave them there! They reached their level of competency! Ultimately the revolving door effect happens otherwise. Additionally, when we lead by example there are blind spots in managing when we do not recognize natural talent that will unequivocally grow the business. Having disheveled management would benefit professionally if they were neat and tidy personally. The image we project starts with our employees and in turn reflects greatly onto our customer base. By the same token; the personal disorganization spills over from the time product is received from the back door...through it's journey past the register, into the bags and out the front door. Commitment to quality customer service is paramount. Good or even great employees are hard to find. Labor is wasted with missed opportunities in recognizing potentally career employees. Just like our shoppers--It takes more money to get customers in the door than it does to keep them happy.
    Quality products at affordable prices with outstanding customer service! THAT'S what sets Thrift Town apart from the rest... Our customers have a choice when "thrifting" and we want to keep them coming.
    There are many ways to increase sales..
    Experience in managing through motivation and cultivation of talents-- partnered with creative style brings success. Hammering sales numbers from last year to a $7.50/hr employee (like somehow they're responsible for "getting them in the door." There are missed opportunities for advertising through social media and social services that have unlimited potential.
    I would like to stay long term, but have many reservations. I will give it time. I would also like to see Management from California visit the store.. (in the evening without calling first!) Thank you.

3. Great job if you like working with second hand merchandise

Current Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thrift Town Thrift Store full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity for growth of your willing to work 12 hours a day and at least 6 days a week

Cons

Long hours required and six days a week

Advice to Management

Great management

5. A Mom and pop company that's attempting to run at corporate level. Manages on Emotion vs. Policy .

Current Employee - Store Supervisor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Store Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thrift Town Thrift Store full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unique product and clientele. Great for busy bee workers and students , and retirees.

Cons

Where do I begin. From the interview to the lack of development . Let's start with the interviews also known as "cattle calls ". Their is little to no preperation for these interviews. It I'd basically a first come first serve . The questions are unprofessional and very generic. The training and new hire is just ridiculous . Most of the "benifits" that are listed are no longer in place . They basically just threw me out on the floor and coupled me with a floor worker to train me ..WTF right ?. Managment is a joke . Most managers have little to no management expirence . Most employees and managers including some Corp level employees are drugies, alcoholics or sleep with one another. Which as you can imagine can make for a intreatibg day at work . After putting myself through this anguish I decided to leave the company. I am disgusted and feel like I wasted my time with this company . The company is a joke. Last but not least . The for-profit speach is BS. They own the company who they purchase the product from . It is a scam. I have never heard of or from the charities the company "says" they donate to. I am a advid volunteer to my community and never once was thrift town mentioned to giving back to the local community.

Advice to Management

Hire trained , educucated drug free managment. Work on being consistant . Give your employees pay increases. Provide regular performance reviews . And manage per policy vs. Emotion. Last but not least . Comb your hair , iron your clothes. And brush your teeth . I kid you not almost every manager was missing teeth . It's just unprofessional.

6. Okay

I have been working at Thrift Town Thrift Store

Pros

Discount
    Easy schedule
    Good hours
    Good breaks
    Get to see everything put out first

Cons

Poor management
    Low pay: 7.45
    Too much work for little pay
    Disorganized
    People coming and going

Advice to Management

Get better mangers

7. A flexible part-time job while in school

Former Employee - Cashier/Floorworker in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Cashier/Floorworker in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Thrift Town Thrift Store

Pros

flexible schedule, down to earth management, sweet 30% discount, unique clientele, first to see things go out on the floor

Cons

relatively low pay, corporal management

Advice to Management

I did not feel that the corporal management really cared about the store employees but the store managers were very helpful and friendly.

8. Not exactly Club Med

Current Employee - Sales in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Thrift Town Thrift Store

Pros

The steady work, and full-time retail is hard to find anywhere else. What the company stands for (their explicit policies) and the customers who come to shop are admirable.

Cons

Favoritism to management. They sit in their offices and work their employees like slaves. Management does not allow trainees to rest in downtime, nor even sit when they fold and organize what's on the bottom shelves. Caesar Chavez banned the short hoe because it led to too many workplace injuries in harvesting crops. Thrift Town hasn't got the message, apparently. The back room workers also complain of being worked too hard. The object is apparently to get them to quit.

Advice to Management

Make your workplace policies reflect the noble mission statement you say is company policies. You'll lose the best employees to stores that actually respect them in action, rather than merely in words.

9. Thrift Town

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Thrift Town Thrift Store

Pros

The variety of duties within your assigned position. Constantly staying busy. Being able to float between Sales floor and Back room production duties. Being able to crosstrain allowed better knowledge of store operations and understanding of how each employee can best be utilized.

Cons

Pay. The pay is minimum wage to start then at the 1 yr. mark, if the employee hasnt given up and is still there , they get a pay raise. Small payraise. The pay is not based on performance or even other comparible jobs in the same market. Corporate policies and lack of importance towards employees. The attitude and treatment from the corporate level regarding employees is "They come and go". It seems to me that if a position of "Manager" or "Director" is a persons title they should have control in a termination decision due to being in direct contact with that employee and aware of their work ethics and dedication to the company instead of having to follow "corporate policy" and releasing a proven good employee.

Advice to Management

Consider the employee, their work performance, dedication, and any feedback from customers as well as fellow employees or supervisors when making decisions regarding that individuals employment status. Allow decisions to be made at a local management level. It is more cost effective to work with a good existing employee than to train and allow for the learning time mistakes and possibly costing the company customers and/or money, which both are the main goal of the company.

10. Thrifttown? I wouldn't ever work there again..

Former Employee - Floor/Cashier
    Former Employee - Floor/Cashier

I worked at Thrift Town Thrift Store

Pros

40 hours weekly, health/dental/eye benefits after 6 months, bonuses for achieving goal for day

Cons

Rude/uncaring management didn't know management, understaffed/overworked don't get paid enough for how much they want you to work

Advice to Management

Hire enough people to properly run a store and give raises to people who deserve it.

RSS Feed </> Embed