Thrillist Media Group

Ben Lerer

TMG Tech is incredible.

Tech (Current Employee)

I have been working at Thrillist Media Group full-time for more than a year

Prosreally smart people slinging hundreds of lines of nearly flawless code, fast-paced environment, tons of opportunity to advance. tech has a huge commitment to writing stable code that isn't so precious as to be called "craft."

Constech kegerator often has substandard beer compared to fifth floor. lines for company lunches can be long. employee discount for jackthreads makes it too easy to buy stuff.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep it coming!

Can't speak for other departments, but working for Tech is a great experience!

I have been working at Thrillist Media Group full-time

ProsGreat coworkers, fun and laid-back atmosphere, and plenty of opportunities to take the lead on projects and use new technologies. Management is very open and accessible, and they seem to appreciate feedback and ideas. The company is growing really fast, so there are lots of opportunities to take on new roles and responsibilities.

ConsLong hours and not the best benefits (especially for a technology company). It can be difficult to have work/life balance in this job, and I imagine it would be very hard to balance family commitments.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees if you want to retain talent!

Great time...if your in the "in crowd"... Under payed & over worked

I have been working at Thrillist Media Group full-time for more than a year

ProsKeg in office & relaxed atmosphere

ConsFavoritism, unqualified managers & directors , unorganized leadership which trickles down into employees working harder not smarter.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire & promote qualified people ....and Pay them what they're worth so they stick around more than 6mths

Typical Startup

N/A (Former Employee)
Des Moines, IA

I worked at Thrillist Media Group full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat office environment if the idea of a fraternity appeals to you, possibility of telecommute for certain employees, constructive advice, decent benefits... all with the caveat of "for a startup".

ConsNo transparency in career path. Absolutely none. Weaker employees will occasionally become "gilded", and visibly treated better/promoted above far stronger/more seasoned staff. People can be ignored, or eliminated, on a whim and without justification. The company strategy changes every six months, chasing short term goals with no apparent consideration of the long term. Expect to wear a lot of hats (regardless of if you're qualified for them) and then be judged on them.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember where you came from, and think about where you want to be five years from now. Not just what you want to see tomorrow.

A worthwhile experience on how a company shouldn't be run.

Editor (Former Employee)

I worked at Thrillist Media Group full-time for less than a year

ProsWas able to experience a pseudo-editorial role that I could possibly take into a better regarded, valid media publication.

ConsNo concern or love for remote employees, poor salary for a company that's supposedly "doing well", constant changing of editorial strategy before key metrics can be taken into account of what's "working", fraternity atmosphere, extremely unprofessional working environment at corporate office, no opportunity for advancement of remote employees, sketchy upper management decisions (employ of people who have committed fraud), basically chasing short term success instead of a long-term editorial vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith the current management in place, I don't foresee Thrillist lasting. It's already no longer a factor or resource for the local content readers want. Being a Buzzfeed knockoff is far from innovative. Trust the people in the roles you've designated and recognize them when they succeed.

Horrible and uncaring

Jackthreads (Current Employee)

I have been working at Thrillist Media Group full-time

ProsRelaxed place to work, happy hours

Consvery low pay, can never give advice to management, very high turn over rate - don't care about employees easily replaced. NO OPPORTUNITY FOR GROWTH

Advice to Senior Managementcare more about the employees and listen to what they have to say, the upper management really is out of touch with the core day to day responsibilities

Such an educational and inspiring experience...

Web Applications Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Thrillist Media Group full-time for more than a year

ProsI started off working at Thrillist Media Group as an entry-level developer. Over the course of the year, I developed great friendships and learned so much from my peers. This place taught me how to be a great developer.

There are opportunities to use a lot of new technologies here. The work environment is a great team effort, and everyone's expertise is utilized.

Also, there are many after-work activities. My superiors are very mindful of our personal needs. I never feel stressed at this job.

ConsSometimes you feel like eat too much bacon, lol.

Beware

I have been working at Thrillist Media Group full-time for more than a year

ProsFun. That's all Thrillist is. The office has a full bar, and drinking is not only allowed, it is encouraged.

ConsMake sure you know what you are getting yourself into. This place is great for interns and recent grads, but if you are serious about your career, Thrillist will not take you anywhere. The company is run by founders/execs who were all college buddies and have no management (or work for that matter) experience outside of Thrillist. All the senior execs with real experience who joined, left or were let go (who knows what really happened?) within a year.

You will be overworked, underpaid, not treated as a professional, not treated with respect, and stressed out of your mind. But you will have fun and lots of good stories to take with you to your next and better job.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop worrying about your public image and start paying attention to all the internal issues. YES, you ARE a cool company with lots of unhappy employees.

Tons of fun with very little actual editorial experience.

Editorial Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Thrillist Media Group as an intern for less than a year

ProsIf you're a millennial looking for a social media, photographic, or production internship Thrillist is a very, very fun place to work. Relaxed corporate culture (some might say too relaxed), fun job (i.e. taking pictures of, eating, and discussing food/fashion). Looks nice on a resume, but Thrillist isn't that well known so your milage may vary.

ConsIf you're signed up to be an editorial intern, you won't end up writing... anything. Or editing. Or even spellchecking. You're basically a gopher.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the interns more substantial jobs. You'll benefit from it, and so will they.

Doomed.

I have been working at Thrillist Media Group full-time for more than a year

Prosif you like being overworked, under-appreciated, and underpaid, this is the company for you.

Cons-management is too concerned with maintaining the "cool" image of the company. we don't care about whiskey wednesdays. And the company reply-all emails with gifs and memes are annoying.

-compensation does not match skills or effort put into our jobs. you will be underpaid and if you try to negotiate for a raise, your manager will lie to your face and tell you we don't have any money in the "budget"-- the money was probably sent on alcohol to decorate the office bar.

-high school cliquey mentality. you can't sit with them.

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to ALL your employees concerns- not just the "popular" ones. bagel fridays do not balance out our sad excuse of a paycheck.

Worked for Thrillist Media Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Thrillist Media Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Thrillist Media Group CEO Ben Lerer. All 21 reviews posted anonymously by Thrillist Media Group employees.