Thumbtack Reviews

Thumbtack CEO Marco Zappacosta
Marco Zappacosta

1. Best Company in Utah

I have been working at Thumbtack

Pros

Amazing opportunity for growth and to share ideas.
    The people are genuinely happy and glad to be at work.
    Free FOOD!

Cons

They are always improving. There is a suggestion box as well as open forums to share ideas for improving.

Advice to Management

Stay amazing through the growth.

2. Email specialist

Current Employee - Email Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Email Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time

Pros

They legitimately care about their employees. We see a lot of the CEO and President who fly out to keep in touch. They even take phone calls when they come out, so they really know exactly what the agents on the ground are dealing with. Our benefits are awesome and the culture is phenomenal.

Cons

It's really cramped in the office, but we're building a new office. Just growing pains. For now there's a lot of desk sharing and a lot of pressure to work from home, but that will go away when we move into our new building next spring.

Advice to Management

You guys are killing it, just make sure not to let people get lost in the shuffle as we grow.

Thinking from first principles

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only place I've ever worked where the team truly thinks about things from first principles. What's the right way to solve the problem, not just the best existing way.
    Intellectually curious bunch which makes for very fun lunches (provided by inhouse chefs).
    Super data driven, rigorous thinking and problem solving.
    Lots of people who care about health and fitness so great food, yoga, personal training provided.

Cons

Pretty serious bunch - quiet and hardworking during work hours. Headphones on.
    (But they do throw great term parties.)

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing! Hire people who are smart thinkers, not necessarily the experts.

Great place with a bit of drama

Current Employee - Engagement in Sandy, UT
    Current Employee - Engagement in Sandy, UT

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Thumbtack is great! If you like a place that is always changing and challenging you to become better this is the place for you! If you don't like numbers and pushing to the next level I would keep looking .

Cons

immaturity, everyone is young and full of drama. Even the management. There seems to always be an "issue" somewhere or with someone. I really enjoy working from home to get away from that. I gave Culture and value 3 stars. Because while they talk a lot about the culture. Its not really what they are aiming for currently it's more drama teen stuff, of who is better.

Advice to Management

Stop dancing around issues and just say it. The management is so worried about hurting someone's feelings, they tip toe around and important information is missed or not clearly communicated because they are afraid some drama will come out of it.

High school all over again

Former Employee - Thumbtack Support Specialist in Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Thumbtack Support Specialist in Sandy, UT

I worked at Thumbtack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent wage
    Free food (even though is vegan garbage)
    Free MacBook
    Thumbtack.com, the concept is genius and is a great service.

Cons

Popularity contest
    Lack of mature management
    It's just a call center for hipsters.
    They fire people for not fitting in. It's basically discrimination.
    The owners are just flexing their financial muscle. As soon as they grow huge enough and beat out Angie's list that company is going to the highest bidder and your going to be out of a job because India is cheaper.

Advice to Management

Hire real managers. Not people who hire their friends so only those people actually progress through the company.
    Be realistic
    Value the talent you have not your friends.

Great company but management matters

I have been working at Thumbtack

Pros

Very fun to work for, the food is fantastic, my co-workers are nice

Cons

The leadership has communicated certain decisions in bad ways leading to unnecessary drama, especially between groups

Customer Support Manager

I worked at Thumbtack full-time

Pros

Awesome team of co-founders/people. Great company. I'll be loyal forever! :)

Cons

I am not longer with the company:(

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

Best company I've ever worked for

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Thumbtack is amazing. The culture is extremely open and trusting. Everyone has a manager, but they are very non-interfering. Thumbtack hires extremely intelligent individuals who are capable of getting whatever tasks assigned to them done. Therefore, managers aren't micro-managing and are really there to ensure your development as a person.

Everything that goes on is super transparent. Every meeting that occurs has meeting minutes that are emailed out to the entire company. Any email list or slack channel is open for anyone to join. We work in an open-floor plan, meaning that I sit two desks over from the CEO. Everyone from the CEO, to the VP of engineering, to the person you sit next to is very approachable and extremely willing to hear your thoughts about anything.

I love all of my coworkers. I would seriously be very happy to hang out with every single one of them outside of work. They are all super friendly, super smart, and super humble. They all want you to succeed on anything you are working on because we are all one team, with one mission, trying to make service professional interactions better. They are all very willing to give up their time to make sure your projects succeed.

Lastly, but not least importantly, the Thumbtack product is amazing. There was a survey done of our service professionals, asking where they would be without Thumbtack. One of the most common responses we received was "hungry." These professionals literally would not be able to find customers without Thumbtack and would not be able to afford food. I love waking up everyday and coming to work because I know I am making people's lives drastically easier and better.

Cons

The only negative I can think of is that we're now getting to a size where I don't know everyone's name. That's normal at most companies, but starting off knowing everyone and suddenly not being able to anymore is a little sad for me.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Also, make sure as we grow, we maintain this amazing culture.

Account manager

I have been working at Thumbtack

Pros

Really fun working environment and fun to work with clients

Cons

A lot of teenage drama. Even with the adults!! People just love to start stuff. Super annoying

I love working for thumbtack

Current Employee - Anonymous in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Thumbtack

Pros

I love working for them. Great work environment and great benefits. And I love the people I work with. Wouldn't work anywhere else.

Cons

No cons. I don't have any complaints about working for this company. This is a great job , it really is. Love it . Love it or leave it.

RSS Feed </> Embed