Thumbtack

Thumbtack CEO Marco Zappacosta
Marco Zappacosta

Very laid back company that will excel in 2015

I worked at Thumbtack full-time

Pros

Senior management is very supportive which allows the employees to be much happier. I actually loved going to work every day.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement were somewhat lacking however the culture of the company is so great that I wouldn't really consider this a negative.

Best place to work in the Bay

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've only ever worked at start-ups and, unfortunately, a big percentage of them require non-stop work with little reward, cut-throat team members and no say in major changes. Thumbtack has been a breath of fresh air in a sea of ridiculousness. Of course there are the perks that every other company here offers - home cooked meals, fancy gadgets, beautiful office, lots of fun events, but it's really the kindness and support that makes Thumbtack stand out.

It's the handwritten letter from the founders on your work anniversary. It's the encouragement to really explore what you want out of your career. It's the complete transparency around tricky situations. It's the trust given to you because you know that if Thumbtack hires you, you're opinion and expertise is respected.

It doesn't hurt that the benefits are good too - unlimited vacation (no - for real, you're encouraged to take it), good pay, work from home days and an amazing $1500 education stipend. Working here makes me feel like I'm not only investing my time in Thumbtack, but investing in my career long-term, wherever that takes me.

Cons

The one similarity Thumbtack has to many start-ups is the crazy fast growth that sometimes means important decisions and processes are long over-due. Sometimes you'll hard on a project that then gets changed last minute. Or that they're so busy hiring leadership that you end up floating and without a ton of direction for stretches of time. The opportunities for career growth here at Thumbtack are unclear. I think management is open to progression (promotions/raises) in theory, but I've never seen it in practice. A lack of cost-of-living raises is also a bit of a downer.

Don't stress so much about making Thumbtack a fun place to work. Trust that Thumbtack itself can be enough. Office parties and boat trips and Onesie Wednesday are all great, but many of us would much rather have raises any day. Career coaching, mentors and opportunities for growth within Thumbtack stand out more than you'd think.

Thumbtack has an excellent work environment, interesting challenges to solve, and a great culture.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Thumbtack provides a wide range of perks and makes an effort to stay competitive with their salaries. They also encourage employees to always be improving themselves and to take online courses together or even teach eachother things in an informal classroom setting if they are so inclined. The culture is warm and encouraging, and it definitely inspires great work from the employees.

Cons

As is often the case with smaller companies, employees are expected to learn whatever they need to learn to get the job done in the best way possible. At the time of writing there are about 80 employees in the San Francisco office, so you'll often find yourself quickly becoming the authority on a subject since no one else has done your work before. It can be stressful at times if you find yourself in over your head. There are two sides to this issue, however, since you will learn a lot by being in this position.

Overall the management is very strong. If you are interested, all of the meeting notes for every team in the company are published, so you can easily learn about what other teams and even what management itself is working towards. My biggest hope for management is that they can keep the recruiting bar high so that this culture is maintained in the long run despite the rapid predicted growth.

Always interesting work; great people

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Before Thumbtack I was working for a larger corporation... in search to work for a smaller and more innovative company, I found Thumbtack. I have absolutely loved it here. We operate at a super fast pace, which keeps you on your toes. Thoughtfulness is also highly valued, and therefore people arent sloppy with their work. We do things with intention and it ties up into the bigger picture. Also with the growth, by default I've been able to own a substantial chunk of the business. I've thrived off of the breadth of responsibility and opportunity for broader impact.

Needless to say, the perks are great too. We have flexible time off (so there is no set bank) and we have the "typical tech start up" perks - i.e. 3 chefs.

Cons

With rapid growth there are of course some growing pains. For example, we are building out a new org structure for one of the departments and the changes were not communicated to the right people at the right time. It raised questions and caused the existing team, which was very passionate about what they were doing, to question decisions. That said, I think everybody learned from the experience, and now we have a VP of HR to help with this sort of thing!

Good Platform

I have been working at Thumbtack

Pros

Good For New Employees according to their growth and also for the growth of the Company.

Cons

Interesting Projects, More Familiar, Great safety Precautions.

Great team, Great mission

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is one of the best work environments I've ever been a part of. The team is smart and dedicated. Everyone is pulling their weight and collaboration is fun, not competitive.

Compensation is generous and the benefits are comprehensive. Family style meals a huge plus, lots of opportunities to be social with the team.

Cons

The company is growing fast, and the inevitable growing pains can be a drag. Initiative is required on the employees' part that might not be required at bigger, more established companies. On the other hand, it is a big plus to have a ton of autonomy.

Rocketship startup. amazing culture. transparent and impact driven team

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Thumbtack has an impressive group of talented, thoughtful, fast-moving people. It's been a pleasure and absolute fire hose working here. You take on as much responsibility as you can like and in a company growing this quickly, it's endless. Love the no politics, get things done attitude. Checks the boxes on all the silicon valley startup perks.

Cons

As with any startup, there's growing pains around communication and and moving too quickly. However, be proactive and bring up issues as you see them, and people really appreciate it and always (almost immediately) work to make it better.

Over communicate. Be clear about why decisions are made. People will find out the actual reasons - don't hide them.

Awesome environment with talented people

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Exceptional people; pretty much everyone is very good at what they do. No tolerance for jerks and a nice departure from the increasingly common "brogrammer" startup culture. Lots of opportunity for trying new things and stretching yourself. Everyone really cares about what the company is trying to accomplish. Solid work/life balance - people work hard, but no one is afraid to take vacation or work from home if the cable guy's coming.

Cons

The flip side of lots of independence is that there isn't the degree of mentorship or training you might find a more established company - you really have to seek it out and make it happen.

This team is awesome and the opportunity is incredible

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- The team is really amazing. People are whip smart, thoughtful, and hard working while simultaneously being humble and earnest. Thumbtack optimizes its hiring process for people who are 1. humble, 2. really super smart, and 3. mission-driven. You can see the outcome of this process in the current team - I seriously feel like I learn so much from my colleagues - both on a professional and personal level - every day. I feel so lucky and blessed to be here.
    - The opportunity is incredible for two reasons: 1. the enormous size of what we're going after is insane - we're trying to improve the way the entire professional services economy is run globally!! - and 2. we're helping real people in the real world. Literally every day we have service professionals write in to us and thank us for building Thumbtack - "I was down on my luck and out of work, then I found Thumbtack. Thumbtack has transformed my life. I'm now able to put food on the table for my family again, feel proud of myself again, I just bought a new pickup truck and am finally able to invest in myself..." Seriously. Every day. I can't tell you how good it feels to build a product that affects so many people in the real world so positively.

Cons

- The distance between the current product and its potential is huge - this can be frustrating. I sometimes wish we were able to move 10x faster than we currently do!
    - It's a relatively young company - there is tons of room here for people of all experience levels but particularly for people who have been around the block and can contribute managerial and general company-building expertise.

Momentum

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time

Pros

Thumbtack is an ideal work environment: thoughtful and smart colleagues oriented around a massive, challenging problem that has a lot of momentum.

The culture focuses on thoughtful, data-driven decision making and dedication to the product. There are great perks like a beautiful office and fantastic chefs who cook lunch and dinner every day.

Cons

Keeping up with growth and scale is not always easy. I wish there were 10 of me, and 10 of each of my colleagues, to keep up with everything.