Thumbtack

Updated August 14, 2014
Updated August 14, 2014

4.9

Marco Zappacosta

Awesome environment with talented people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Exceptional people; pretty much everyone is very good at what they do. No tolerance for jerks and a nice departure from the increasingly common "brogrammer" startup culture. Lots of opportunity for trying new things and stretching yourself. Everyone really cares about what the company is trying to accomplish. Solid work/life balance - people work hard, but no one is afraid to take vacation or work from home if the cable guy's coming.

Cons

The flip side of lots of independence is that there isn't the degree of mentorship or training you might find a more established company - you really have to seek it out and make it happen.

This team is awesome and the opportunity is incredible

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- The team is really amazing. People are whip smart, thoughtful, and hard working while simultaneously being humble and earnest. Thumbtack optimizes its hiring process for people who are 1. humble, 2. really super smart, and 3. mission-driven. You can see the outcome of this process in the current team - I seriously feel like I learn so much from my colleagues - both on a professional and personal level - every day. I feel so lucky and blessed to be here.
    - The opportunity is incredible for two reasons: 1. the enormous size of what we're going after is insane - we're trying to improve the way the entire professional services economy is run globally!! - and 2. we're helping real people in the real world. Literally every day we have service professionals write in to us and thank us for building Thumbtack - "I was down on my luck and out of work, then I found Thumbtack. Thumbtack has transformed my life. I'm now able to put food on the table for my family again, feel proud of myself again, I just bought a new pickup truck and am finally able to invest in myself..." Seriously. Every day. I can't tell you how good it feels to build a product that affects so many people in the real world so positively.

Cons

- The distance between the current product and its potential is huge - this can be frustrating. I sometimes wish we were able to move 10x faster than we currently do!
    - It's a relatively young company - there is tons of room here for people of all experience levels but particularly for people who have been around the block and can contribute managerial and general company-building expertise.

Thumbtack is an incredible place to work in a contagious collaborative environment with very sharp people.

Current Employee - Product Team  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Team in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Thumbtack has been a dream place to work at - everyone here is super smart, driven, and cares about the customers and professionals we are striving to help achieve. The startup environment is still very much alive, and there are so many perks of working here it's hard to describe - incredible breakfast/lunch/dinners, rooftop deck, a kegerator, and all the snacks you could ever want. But the backbone of the company is the incredible coworkers I'm lucky enough to work with daily.

Cons

We move lightning quick - sometimes it's tough to keep track of everything happening at once, but that is also part of the experience. I will forever be a better person because of my time here.

I've never questioned the decisions made by everyone in senior management here. The benefits/compensation are second to none - more than I could have ever dreamed. Training is sometimes reactive, but it can be difficult to gauge what is needed ahead of time in a startup environment.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Momentum

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Thumbtack is an ideal work environment: thoughtful and smart colleagues oriented around a massive, challenging problem that has a lot of momentum.

The culture focuses on thoughtful, data-driven decision making and dedication to the product. There are great perks like a beautiful office and fantastic chefs who cook lunch and dinner every day.

Cons

Keeping up with growth and scale is not always easy. I wish there were 10 of me, and 10 of each of my colleagues, to keep up with everything.

Cool place to work - hip, friendly, and lots of young, smart people.

Pros

Some of the most open minded and intelligent people I've ever worked with. Great food, great culture, great overall feel - I was always excited to come to work there.

Cons

Company has some growing pains and confusion on where leadership comes from.

Amazing team tackling huge opportunity

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- Be surrounded by incredibly sharp and driven team members. From engineering to customer operations the team is really, really strong.
    - Work in a collaborative, chill atmosphere. While everyone wants to build something great, people are very relaxed at work, which fosters a friendly, warm and collaborative environment. It's driven by the personalities of the founders.
    - Have a meaningful impact on people's lives. We're helping our customers accomplish some of their most important projects (e.g., putting a new roof over their home or planning their wedding). We're also helping our professionals grow their businesses and put food on the table for their families. This is really gratifying. And it's not just for people right around us in SF, but it's happening across the country.

Cons

- While the team is long on smarts, it's not very experienced. For people early in their career, there's plenty of mentorship, but for those who have some experience, it's hard to find a lot of mentorship within the company. The team is actively looking to bring in more experienced team members, which should change this balance in the next few months.

There are so many great things about working at Thumbtack.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- The people that work here are amazing. They are smart, driven, and thoughtful, and most importantly they are people that you want to be around. Thumbtack is a community, and the culture is awesome. Please spend time with each other because they want to. For example, today our book club met (we're reading Season of the Witch--it's great) and we recently started a rock climbing group.
    - The work is meaningful. Thumbtack has helped so many small business owners grow their businesses, and their stories are inspiring.
    - The work is flexible. As a software engineer, I have a lot of autonomy and the freedom to work when and where I am most productive.
    - The company is super transparent.
    - The perks are great. A yoga instructor comes to the office and teaches a class every Thursday morning. We have an amazing chef who cooks super healthy lunch and dinner every day.

Cons

- The office is a little cramped and loud right now, but that's because we're growing so much! We're moving into a new office soon.

Great place to be introduced to the start-up world

Former Employee - Summer Analyst  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Summer Analyst in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I worked as a summer intern, focusing on data analysis and SEO. This was a wonderful opportunity for me, since I had very little experience in the field, but with a little help, I was able to accomplish a lot. The company is so small that I was daily able to see all the different aspects that went into running a company. Not only are the people smart and driven, the work atmosphere was very focused on making the company cohesive - Friday meetings where everyone shared a little of what they were working on, daily all-company lunches and dinners (with a chef!), ping pong table, etc. I had a wonderful summer and I would highly recommend Thumbtack to anyone. Also, they just raised a lot of money from Sequoia!

Cons

There were very few downsides to working at Thumbtack - and any downside seems more to do with characteristics of start-ups, rather than with Thumbtack in particular. Since it is such a small company, don't expect them to do any hand-holding. No one really has much time for that, but they're very willing to point out a couple helpful things if you ask. Also, it sounds like the particular chef they previous hired is leaving, but I'm sure they will hire a good replacement.

I think very highly of the management!

Great place to intern and learn more about marketing services online

Former Employee - Marketing Intern  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Internship spanned across multiple areas of the start up process, given the chance to gain experience in all areas of building a site geared toward services. Daily interaction with executives, all managers are very open to answer questions and assist with any problems, completely hands on. Continuous learning environment. Gained a lot of experience in a short amount of time. Environment reminded me of Google, interns could come to work in comfortable clothing, use their own laptops, and were given free range of offices to choose the most comfortable work environment; believed that if interns were comfortable, there would be great efficiency and productivity.

Cons

During my internship at Thumbtack I can honestly say there were no downsides. The executives/managers even brought in a chef to cook interns lunch and dinner so that we could continue working while getting a great meal!

As mentioned before, GREAT MANAGEMENT! Extremely hands on and friendly, complete transparency and trust from the CEO down to each intern.

Worked for Thumbtack? Contribute to the Community!