Thumbtack Reviews

26 reviews filtered by
4.9
Thumbtack CEO Marco Zappacosta
Marco Zappacosta

I love working for thumbtack

Current Employee - Anonymous in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Thumbtack

Pros

I love working for them. Great work environment and great benefits. And I love the people I work with. Wouldn't work anywhere else.

Cons

No cons. I don't have any complaints about working for this company. This is a great job , it really is. Love it . Love it or leave it.

2. Best company I've ever worked for

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Thumbtack is amazing. The culture is extremely open and trusting. Everyone has a manager, but they are very non-interfering. Thumbtack hires extremely intelligent individuals who are capable of getting whatever tasks assigned to them done. Therefore, managers aren't micro-managing and are really there to ensure your development as a person.

Everything that goes on is super transparent. Every meeting that occurs has meeting minutes that are emailed out to the entire company. Any email list or slack channel is open for anyone to join. We work in an open-floor plan, meaning that I sit two desks over from the CEO. Everyone from the CEO, to the VP of engineering, to the person you sit next to is very approachable and extremely willing to hear your thoughts about anything.

I love all of my coworkers. I would seriously be very happy to hang out with every single one of them outside of work. They are all super friendly, super smart, and super humble. They all want you to succeed on anything you are working on because we are all one team, with one mission, trying to make service professional interactions better. They are all very willing to give up their time to make sure your projects succeed.

Lastly, but not least importantly, the Thumbtack product is amazing. There was a survey done of our service professionals, asking where they would be without Thumbtack. One of the most common responses we received was "hungry." These professionals literally would not be able to find customers without Thumbtack and would not be able to afford food. I love waking up everyday and coming to work because I know I am making people's lives drastically easier and better.

Cons

The only negative I can think of is that we're now getting to a size where I don't know everyone's name. That's normal at most companies, but starting off knowing everyone and suddenly not being able to anymore is a little sad for me.

Keep up the good work! Also, make sure as we grow, we maintain this amazing culture.

3. It has been everything I've been looking for in working for a company!

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer
    Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

I have been working at Thumbtack (less than a year)

Pros

Competitive Compensation, Amazing Leadership, Great Benefits, Smart & Collaborative People. I have worked for many reputable tech companies (For ex. Microsoft, Amazon) and none have compared to the exciting work I am able to do at Thumbtack. They have the resources of a larger company, but have passionate people who don't get caught up in politics and titles.

Cons

Have yet to find any

5. Amazing culture and opportunities for learning and growth.

Current Employee - Analytics Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Analytics Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Growing user base.
    Excellent and supportive culture.
    Transparency.
    Meaningful and tangible product.

Cons

Honestly, no major cons that I can think of.

Great Company to Work For

I have been working at Thumbtack

Pros

Thumbtack is an amazing place to work. The company's culture is the best I've seen in SF- humble and incredibly smart colleagues who I love working with, everyone really respects and likes each other, tons of opportunities to get to know everyone by sitting next to new people everyday for lunch/morning workouts/rooftop evening yoga. Thumbtack is tackling a pretty massive problem and growth has been really great to see- $130M in funding since I've joined, the team size has doubled, we've set up a new office in Salt Lake City, and we've hired a handful of really sharp senior hires to learn from.

Cons

The company is still young and leaders are still learning as we grow.

Great place to work full of mission-driven, intellectual people

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Thumbtack is a really great company with a very strong culture and an obsessive focus on improving itself. Everyone from the engineers to the recruiters to the operations teams are approachable, curious, humble, dedicated to learning, and fun to talk with. The product makes a difference in people's lives and the opportunity is huge, which makes the environment exciting and the work satisfying. Decisions from hires to product changes to ad buys are made in a very thoughtful, rigorous manner, but bad decisions are owned up to and abandoned quickly.

Very little ego or politics within the company, as everyone seems committed to making the best decisions to help the team, and working hard to make that decision making process as analytically rigorous and free from bias as possible. As a start up there are many opportunities for team members to contribute and expand their horizons and leadership offers support for people to figure out and implement new things.

I love coming to work here.

Cons

The relentlessly thoughtful decision making process means that the company can move more slowly than it perhaps should at times. Engineer hiring has proven to be a major bottleneck due to absurdly high standards for new hires. As a result, teams that could get by with less than world-class engineers are left without any engineering resources at all. Also as a result the product has simple, glaring flaws that go left unaddressed, and there are clearly areas of the company set up years ago that have been given no thought in a while as attention is focused elsewhere. Huge opportunity for new hires to fix these things and help this company realize its potential.

The company is incredibly transparent but somehow key decisions aren't getting communicated across teams. Resources that are largely locked within certain areas today could be made more available to others. Consider hiring more experienced staff across the board so there is a diminished need for everyone to be learning on the job at the same time. More experienced staff could also provide leadership and guidance that is somewhat lacking today.

nice ppl

I have been working at Thumbtack

Pros

good job. They were very nice and they helped me with what I needed help with. I would definitely work for them again

Cons

The coworkers are pretty mean. Once, a girl tried to spit gum in my hair, I was like, come on! this is not high school!

keep it gucci

Best place to work in the Bay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I've only ever worked at start-ups and, unfortunately, a big percentage of them require non-stop work with little reward, cut-throat team members and no say in major changes. Thumbtack has been a breath of fresh air in a sea of ridiculousness. Of course there are the perks that every other company here offers - home cooked meals, fancy gadgets, beautiful office, lots of fun events, but it's really the kindness and support that makes Thumbtack stand out.

It's the handwritten letter from the founders on your work anniversary. It's the encouragement to really explore what you want out of your career. It's the complete transparency around tricky situations. It's the trust given to you because you know that if Thumbtack hires you, you're opinion and expertise is respected.

It doesn't hurt that the benefits are good too - unlimited vacation (no - for real, you're encouraged to take it), good pay, work from home days and an amazing $1500 education stipend. Working here makes me feel like I'm not only investing my time in Thumbtack, but investing in my career long-term, wherever that takes me.

Cons

The one similarity Thumbtack has to many start-ups is the crazy fast growth that sometimes means important decisions and processes are long over-due. Sometimes you'll hard on a project that then gets changed last minute. Or that they're so busy hiring leadership that you end up floating and without a ton of direction for stretches of time. The opportunities for career growth here at Thumbtack are unclear. I think management is open to progression (promotions/raises) in theory, but I've never seen it in practice. A lack of cost-of-living raises is also a bit of a downer.

Don't stress so much about making Thumbtack a fun place to work. Trust that Thumbtack itself can be enough. Office parties and boat trips and Onesie Wednesday are all great, but many of us would much rather have raises any day. Career coaching, mentors and opportunities for growth within Thumbtack stand out more than you'd think.

Very laid back company that will excel in 2015

I worked at Thumbtack full-time

Pros

Senior management is very supportive which allows the employees to be much happier. I actually loved going to work every day.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement were somewhat lacking however the culture of the company is so great that I wouldn't really consider this a negative.

Thumbtack has an excellent work environment, interesting challenges to solve, and a great culture.

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Thumbtack provides a wide range of perks and makes an effort to stay competitive with their salaries. They also encourage employees to always be improving themselves and to take online courses together or even teach eachother things in an informal classroom setting if they are so inclined. The culture is warm and encouraging, and it definitely inspires great work from the employees.

Cons

As is often the case with smaller companies, employees are expected to learn whatever they need to learn to get the job done in the best way possible. At the time of writing there are about 80 employees in the San Francisco office, so you'll often find yourself quickly becoming the authority on a subject since no one else has done your work before. It can be stressful at times if you find yourself in over your head. There are two sides to this issue, however, since you will learn a lot by being in this position.

Overall the management is very strong. If you are interested, all of the meeting notes for every team in the company are published, so you can easily learn about what other teams and even what management itself is working towards. My biggest hope for management is that they can keep the recruiting bar high so that this culture is maintained in the long run despite the rapid predicted growth.