Thunderbird School of Global Management

Thunderbird School of Global Management President Larry Edward Penley

Larry Edward Penley

Excellent school

I have been working at Thunderbird School of Global Management

ProsLearned a great deal. Diverse student body. Incredibly smart people. Lots of clubs and extracurricular activities. Excellent professors. Marketing program is world class.

ConsIt's in Glendale AZ, not the most interesting place to be. The weather can be extreme in the summer. However, it's a short drive to Phoenix. Slightly longer to Scottsdale.

Admission Graduate Assistant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Thunderbird School of Global Management

ProsGood people, flexible working time, relatively high wage among student employees, good practice for phone personality, chance to talk to people around the world

Conswage depends on hours rather than productivity, limited work responsibilities, recruiting efforts are skewed toward certain countries, not so much interaction except with recruiters

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to its student body, staff and faculties

Passionate people, poor management, challenging business model

Business Development Director (Former Employee)
Glendale, AZ

I worked at Thunderbird School of Global Management full-time for more than 5 years

Prosthe people Thunderbird attracts are amazing. The founding vision and mission of the institution

Conspoor leadership and management. very scarce resources.

Advice to Senior Managementdevelop leadership skills and people to leverage the passion that initially brought them to Thunderbird to begin with. Don't extinguish the fire.

To be associated to Thunderbird was the best job experience of my life.

Professor (Former Employee)

I worked at Thunderbird School of Global Management full-time

ProsIt provided with a frame to apply my multilingual and cultural skills, and open up opportunities to grow professionally

ConsAppeared to be financially strapped.

Thunderbird Mystique

TSG President (Former Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Thunderbird School of Global Management as a contractor for less than a year

ProsExtremely diverse and sociable people

ConsGoing through changes, which many don't agree with. We'll see how it all turns out.

Lacks talent and professionalism

Client Director (Current Employee)
Glendale, AZ

I have been working at Thunderbird School of Global Management full-time for more than 5 years

ProsStudent body. YMCA is nearby. Close to highways. Near Bell Road. Responsive IT help desk.

ConsDirectors appointed to roles lacking experience and leadership capability.
Lots of discriminatory and inappropriate behavior by 'Senior team' which are hushed and swept under the rug by HR.
Rules & processes are bent for non-minorities and created for minorities. Processes are in place only for the lowest paid.
Salary is haphazardly paid to faculty and staff.
No room for growth.
Managing directors lack ability to sell products and manage people. There is no matrix in place for their bad behavior. They each have their own oligarchy.
Lacks diversity at Senior and Management level.
Only one true location - Glendale.
The school is on a budget decline, there have been 4 layoffs in 2 yrs.
Tribute is paid to work/life/balance but does not truly exist.
I would not recommend working at this place.

Advice to Senior ManagementUtilize faculty knowledge. Its a business school which teaches business yet the personnel in place lacks the wherewithal to harness the resources at its fingertips. Capitalize on the faculty.

Angel Cabrera is not the CEO - Larry Penley is running the place into the ground.

Which Direction?

Enrollment Counselor (Former Employee)
Glendale, AZ

I worked at Thunderbird School of Global Management full-time for more than a year

ProsThe depth of staff of experience is vast and creative thinking is encouraged.

ConsA lack of honesty regarding lay offs and the school's financial future fosters instability and distrust.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to utilize and recognize the skills of their staff. Too many Directors of departments with independent mind sets will send mixed messages to subordinates. Eliminating top producers and minorities with positive attitudes does not reflect the school's mission.

Rollercoaster. As the school transitions, expect more of the same.

Director of Content (Former Employee)
Glendale, AZ

I worked at Thunderbird School of Global Management full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIncredible students from around the world creating amazing new companies.

ConsInstitutional in its approach, meaning that turf protection.

Good community

Student Worker (Current Employee)
Glendale, AZ

I have been working at Thunderbird School of Global Management as an intern for less than a year

ProsNice people. Global minded community. Employees truly care about each other. Flexible work environment.

ConsNo consistent strategy. Uncertainty. Compensation can be higher.

Advice to Senior ManagementA plan.

Navigating Change

Faculty (Current Employee)

I have been working at Thunderbird School of Global Management part-time for less than a year

ProsA glimpse of the world we live in, instead of the world our parents knew. Interaction with top-quality faculty, staff, and students.

ConsCurrent administration seems to be struggling with dual challenges of recent global economic downturn and the alliance with a for-profit global education machine is trouble to many alumni.

Advice to Senior ManagementHeed some of your own teaching: find outside expertise (neither T'Bird nor Laurent) to look at the current changes as an opportunity to leverage Laurent's global access to enhance the core brand. This is not necessarily a diminished state for the unique core program, but perhaps access to a broader emerging market. imo, there will still be exceptional students who will aspire to the residential case-based experience of the Thunderbird degree.

Worked for Thunderbird School of Global Management? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Thunderbird School of Global Management reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Thunderbird School of Global Management CEO Larry Edward Penley. All 31 reviews posted anonymously by Thunderbird School of Global Management employees.