Thycotic

Thycotic Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Thycotic CEO Jonathan Cogley

Jonathan Cogley

I'm very blessed to work here.

Account Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Proszero micro managment
    positive people
    fun atmosphere
    hard workers all around
    people care about their craft
    knowledgeable staff
    great perks
    great flexibility
    great industry
    food, so much food
    casual dress
    great paid time off (PTO)
    great recruiting methods
    growing organization
    bright future

Conslearning technology is challenging and there aren't a ton of reading or video resources to draw from so you need to have a bit of a go get em attitude about learning your craft, inexperienced sales team but at the same time, they're so excited to get better and learn and grow and everyone is humble

Advice to Senior Managementhave more recognition meetings baked into the schedule for motivation and positive news and individual recognition

Better than I'd dreamed

Engineer (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsEveryone at the company is your friend. You will constantly be encouraged in what you do and constantly challenged to improve yourself. I am excited to go to work everyday in this amazing atmosphere, doing what I love daily.

ConsI have yet to find anything that dissatisfies me, and I've been working here for a year.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the brilliant work.

Jun 23, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review - I am so proud of our team that we can get such great comments - they are an amazing crew right across the board.

You will work hard, but you will never starve!

Confidential (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsYou will never starve - employees receive a catered lunch once a week, and there are plenty of leftovers. In some cases, employees are bringing in food and leaving it in the kitchen for all to eat. The company also sponsors social occasions a few times a year where you can eat great food and have a good time.

Close to many food vending trucks and restaurants. All within easy walking distance. Near a great park to sit and relax.

Accessible to two metro stops.

Great benefits and vacation plan. The company really looks out for you.

Small gym in the office building available for free for all tenants.

Casual work environment - keep your suits and ties at home. You don’t have to worry about the dry cleaning bill. Business casual.

Small office library with good books.

Investing in the company - the CEO is investing some profits back into the company by hiring new employees, purchasing new equipment, and expanding the office space. There is a real commitment to constantly improve the products.

Products - good reputation in the industry. Improvements are always being made. There is a real effort to get customer feedback and incorporate their suggestions. Employees really care about their work.

Open to new ideas - you don’t have to be a wallflower. If you have a good idea or suggestion, speak up. People will listen, and sometimes, they will even like what you have to say.

ConsHard work - you will have to work hard. If you are seeking an easy 9 to 5 job, look elsewhere. Many employees come to work early and work late, depending on the projects or assignments. It can be difficult to establish a work/life balance. However, there is enough vacation time to help reduce burnout and stress.

Fast paced work environment - if you are use to working in a more structured or conservative work environment, Thycotic may not be the place for you. Because of the industry, changes can occur very rapidly, which can sometimes lead to confusion. New policies are constantly being added or being amended. You need to keep up. Although the company started in the mid-1990s, it still has a start-up feel to it, and still has some growing pains. While working in a company with a start-up vibe may be romantic to some, if you come from a large company, you could be in for a cultural shock.

Promotions - there is not always a set structure on how people are promoted. It is usually up to the CEO. Because the company has only an HR consultant who is onsite maybe once or twice a week, there is not always formal promotional structure or printed announcements. Unlike a publicly owned company or a governmental agency, there is no requirement to officially announce new job openings. So it can be a little unclear about what you have to do to be promoted. But the good news is that no one is walking around wearing the "high hat" or being bossy. If you prefer getting on a fast promotional track, you may be better off working for a major corporation.

Love thy neighbor - if you love working in an office with your own desk, or behind high cubicles, Thycotic may not be the place for you. The company has an open office seating policy. While great for consulting with your neighbors, it can lead to distractions and the office can be a little noisy at times. You better have a high degree of concentration and self-discipline to focus on your work. There are private areas to work if you really need to concentrate, but I wouldn’t make it a habit.

Jun 23, 2014

Thank you for the very detailed review. Your experience seems to have been very positive which is nice to hear. I agree that Thycotic is a culture of hard work and can be fast-paced but I wouldn't ... More
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company

Account Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThycotic was a great company to work for. It was a place where I enjoyed going to work on a daily basis. There are too many reasons to list why, however, here are a few:

-great work environment
    -great benefits
    -great travel opportunities
    -great people to work with
    -no micro managing
    -easy to go to owner/senior management with issues, thoughts, or problems

Basically, the whole culture at Thycotic is awesome!!!

ConsI think that the company could use a little more structure. However, they are growing at a rapid pace and I can understand how this could make it difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy only advice would be to keep on doing what you are doing. I would try my best to preserve the culture that you have created as you grow and become a huge company.

May 1, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review - it is really nice to get your feedback. We will try our best to keep everything just the way it is as we grow - we have a really ... More

Awesome job.

Marketing Team (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Pros-Benefits are great
    -There is a lot of room for learning and growth. If you are just starting of your career, there is a lot of room to stretch your wings, wear new hats, and build new strengths.
    -No micro-managing, as long as you work hard
    -Work with a team of smart and motivated individuals
    -Company is growing at a steady pace, not too fast
    -Stable company with a start-up vibe
    -Very low turn over rate speaks for itself
    -Job security, we are working in a very promising industry

ConsIf living outside of DC, commuting can be a pain.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Dec 23, 2013

Thanks for the great review. The people here on the team are the magic to our success.

Great company working in a very necessary space

Account Manager (Former Employee)

Pros-Security. Thycotic's products are extremely necessary for every business and organization in the world. Everywhere. No doubt, this company is only going to continue booming.
    -Open office space encourages teamwork
    -Friendly office mates
    -Organize your own schedule during the day
    -Valuable learning experience. The CEO encourages employees to write goals relevant to your professional and personal growth, and gives you bonuses according to your level of achievement. It's like you're getting paid to learn what you want.
    -CEO is very transparent with team. All-hands meetings and status meetings to keep the entire team filled in on company goals.
    -New ideas are welcomed and valued.

Perks:
    -Travel
    -Benefits!
    -Bonuses
    -Team lunches every week

Cons-It's still a start-up, so your job may require multiple functions. You should be flexible, adaptable, and willing to work hard.
    -Since the company is still new and maturing, you don't exactly have the resources that more established companies have. (i.e. HR, procedures, certain contracts for business, etc.)
    -Lots of meetings (can be bad on an already-busy day)
    -Not much room for promotions as it is still a small company. However, as the tools develop and the company continues to grow, there is no doubt that growth opportunities will arise.

Advice to Senior ManagementMgmt, you definitely care about your employees and consider all of our opinions and thoughts with genuine interest. However, you can be really hard to persuade into changing procedures that still may be better for the company in the long run.
    -You have a huge work load. Get a sales manager to manage your sales team!

Sep 1, 2013

Thanks for the great review. We have introduced a Senior Account Manager position and have our first Senior Account Manager (you can guess who). This will help with the sales management side ... More

Great place to work with a fast-growing company

Pros-Small team
    -Great product in high demand-You will get some of the praise!!
    -Evolving industry, so lots of room for product development, suggestions.
    -Excellent leadership with open-minded and experienced professionals
    -Quick implementation of great ideas and ways of doing things
    -Open space interaction yet good personal space
    -AMAZING benefits-Pay is also very good.
    -You can work on many different projects if you really want to.
    -Casual wear every day. You could technically wear a tie and you could still fit in.
    -Free lunches on Wednesday; great way to interact more with other team members that are not that close to you.
    -The list goes on.

ConsIt's a small company with a great and evolving product, so expect some change and adjustments around the product and your work. This could be a Pro as well. I can't think of any other con.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep attracting great people with a good dose of flexibility, and great work experience.

Jul 23, 2013

Thanks for the great review.

Good place to work

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsI worked here for a few years and it was a great place to start my career. I learned and developed a lot of best practices that I will continue to use. Even now, working at another company, it is surprising how effective the agile practices are and how much respect I get from applying them when most employees don't. For example, Thycotic really teaches you not only how to test your code well, but also how important testing it really is.

- Opportunities are there to advance your career
    - Good health benefits
    - Coworkers are fun to be around
    - Good processes mean that the environment is extremely low-stress, but things still get done pretty fast
    - Lots of learning opportunities

ConsCareer advancement opportunities are more push than pull. If you want to get promoted, want a big raise, or want to have more responsibilities, it is up to you to bring it up to management.

Advice to Senior ManagementActively engage with employees to help advance their career. Don't wait for them to come to you. To attract more employees, I suggest having more of a "start-up" vibe. Some ideas might be to eliminate timesheets and have more lenient hours (i.e., 11 am standup). To remain competitive with startups and larger tech companies, and to keep employees highly motivated, look into stock options or, more feasibly, profit sharing.

Sep 1, 2013

Thanks for the great review.

We do check in with all staff every 6 months from a career perspective during goals review - some speak up and want more responsibility, others don't. Moving up
    ... More

Great place to start out...

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsVery fast paced and academic environment which embraces the proper way to develop. Any new developer will grow their skills extremely fast in this company. Lot of smart people using the newest and coolest tools.

ConsDon't expect to get a lot of leadership growth and potential from this company. You are a developer and that is it. A hired gun. You will not get any say in the direction or decision making of the company no matter how long you stay. You are expected to give about 50 hour of your own time to grow as a developer (work on other projects for the company, get certified, etc.) and in exchange you might or might not get a good bonus.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're making a boatload of money off the backs of very skilled junior developers and you know what is best for but you and your company BUT please don't try to convince your employees that you have their best interests at heart.

Jul 23, 2013

Ok. I don't think our team would agree with you. We would never describe an engineer at Thycotic as a "hired gun". We gather feedback all the time and it is implemented (retrospective meetings are ... More

Although the overall experience was a net-positive, I disliked working at Thycotic Software.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsI liked most of my coworkers and felt they supported me. It is nice working in downtown DC - close to metro. Benefits were good and the pay was average.

ConsI disliked the leadership and felt there was a high level of unrealistic expectation across the board. If you were a yes-person, you get ahead. I am not and never will be a yes-person. I felt that there was a general misrepresentation of the the company and the position requirements. Most of my efforts went unnoticed and/or under-appreciated. I expected no recognition having worked in thankless jobs before, but what I didn't expect was retribution.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing a small company, either hire outside consulting for general HR/operational management or hire a full time office manager and staff manager. Owner/CEO is unfit for long term management - a common problem for start-ups.

Jun 25, 2013

I am pretty sure this individual was fired for poor performance. I will let you draw your own conclusions from this fox's sour grapes.

Worked for Thycotic? Contribute to the Community!