Thycotic Reviews

Updated August 12, 2014

4.2

Thycotic CEO Jonathan Cogley
Jonathan Cogley

Great environment and awesome industry with ability to grow.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Thycotic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great team. I really enjoy the people with whom I work across all departments.
    - Great company culture. Laid back but most everyone works hard. People have autonomy for the most part. Micro-managing is nearly non-existent.
    - Working in a fast paced and growing industry. Industry trends are always changing which make for an interesting and exciting challenge.
    - Travel both domestic and international.
    - On-par compensation plans, depending on your department.
    - Honest care from management. Small business usually has this as people work closely across all departments.
    - Most people care about their craft. "When you stop learning, you die."
    - Hard work is starting to become recognized more often.
    - Very strong collaborative environment!
    - Organic growth with no external funding. One of the few if not only companies in this space/industry which is not backed by a multi-million/billion dollar company or VC fund. This means company cares about the solutions we sell and the problems we solve. No external shareholders or management dictating the direction of the company.

- Overall great place to work and would definitely recommend this company to people looking to work in a small but growing environment in a very fast paced and ever-changing industry. There are waves to be made, and this company is definitely making waves. We have dramatically increased our brand awareness and constantly eating away at our competitors stake in the industry. With a little more time spent on development, we will soon outpace our competitors and be the gold standard within the PAM space. As long as we keep to our roots and do what we do best, we will continue to shine and make a name for ourselves.

Cons

- Some collaborative tasks are hard to get passed through management. However this trend is shifting and teams are given more autonomy.
    - Come review time, you will have to prove your worth to the company to receive bonuses. Sometimes hard for non Type-A personalities to achieve this.
    - Certain individuals can dictate projects or shut down ideas because of their tenure and/or strong personalities - once again this trend is starting to shift. Sometimes senior management either ignores and/or is blind to this happening.
    - Personal growth is slow but feasible. Remember, this is still a small but growing business. Not everyone can be a manager.

Keep on doing what you are doing. I think the company is definitely headed in the right direction. I would continue the trend of giving teams more autonomy and only stepping in when problems are imminent. Even then, it's good to let people bump their head and learn from mistakes (unless it will be a very expensive mistake). I think a clear picture of the future of the company and the direction management wants to take it, needs to presented to the company in a more open format. We are definitely given the "why" things are happening, but where do we see the company in 5-10 years, and how are we going to empower our teams to take the company there? Are we giving the teams the right tools to succeed?

I'm very blessed to work here.

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Thycotic full-time for less than a year

Pros

zero micro managment
    positive people
    fun atmosphere
    hard workers all around
    people care about their craft
    knowledgeable staff
    great perks
    great flexibility
    great industry
    food, so much food
    casual dress
    great paid time off (PTO)
    great recruiting methods
    growing organization
    bright future

Cons

learning technology is challenging and there aren't a ton of reading or video resources to draw from so you need to have a bit of a go get em attitude about learning your craft, inexperienced sales team but at the same time, they're so excited to get better and learn and grow and everyone is humble

have more recognition meetings baked into the schedule for motivation and positive news and individual recognition

Better than I'd dreamed

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Thycotic full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone at the company is your friend. You will constantly be encouraged in what you do and constantly challenged to improve yourself. I am excited to go to work everyday in this amazing atmosphere, doing what I love daily.

Cons

I have yet to find anything that dissatisfies me, and I've been working here for a year.

Keep up the brilliant work.

Jun 23, 2014CEO

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review - I am so proud of our team that we can get such great comments - they are an amazing crew right across the board.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

You will work hard, but you will never starve!

Former Employee - Confidential  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Confidential in Washington, DC

I worked at Thycotic full-time for more than a year

Pros

You will never starve - employees receive a catered lunch once a week, and there are plenty of leftovers. In some cases, employees are bringing in food and leaving it in the kitchen for all to eat. The company also sponsors social occasions a few times a year where you can eat great food and have a good time.

Close to many food vending trucks and restaurants. All within easy walking distance. Near a great park to sit and relax.

Accessible to two metro stops.

Great benefits and vacation plan. The company really looks out for you.

Small gym in the office building available for free for all tenants.

Casual work environment - keep your suits and ties at home. You don’t have to worry about the dry cleaning bill. Business casual.

Small office library with good books.

Investing in the company - the CEO is investing some profits back into the company by hiring new employees, purchasing new equipment, and expanding the office space. There is a real commitment to constantly improve the products.

Products - good reputation in the industry. Improvements are always being made. There is a real effort to get customer feedback and incorporate their suggestions. Employees really care about their work.

Open to new ideas - you don’t have to be a wallflower. If you have a good idea or suggestion, speak up. People will listen, and sometimes, they will even like what you have to say.

Cons

Hard work - you will have to work hard. If you are seeking an easy 9 to 5 job, look elsewhere. Many employees come to work early and work late, depending on the projects or assignments. It can be difficult to establish a work/life balance. However, there is enough vacation time to help reduce burnout and stress.

Fast paced work environment - if you are use to working in a more structured or conservative work environment, Thycotic may not be the place for you. Because of the industry, changes can occur very rapidly, which can sometimes lead to confusion. New policies are constantly being added or being amended. You need to keep up. Although the company started in the mid-1990s, it still has a start-up feel to it, and still has some growing pains. While working in a company with a start-up vibe may be romantic to some, if you come from a large company, you could be in for a cultural shock.

Promotions - there is not always a set structure on how people are promoted. It is usually up to the CEO. Because the company has only an HR consultant who is onsite maybe once or twice a week, there is not always formal promotional structure or printed announcements. Unlike a publicly owned company or a governmental agency, there is no requirement to officially announce new job openings. So it can be a little unclear about what you have to do to be promoted. But the good news is that no one is walking around wearing the "high hat" or being bossy. If you prefer getting on a fast promotional track, you may be better off working for a major corporation.

Love thy neighbor - if you love working in an office with your own desk, or behind high cubicles, Thycotic may not be the place for you. The company has an open office seating policy. While great for consulting with your neighbors, it can lead to distractions and the office can be a little noisy at times. You better have a high degree of concentration and self-discipline to focus on your work. There are private areas to work if you really need to concentrate, but I wouldn’t make it a habit.

Jun 23, 2014CEO

Thank you for the very detailed review. Your experience seems to have been very positive which is nice to hear. I agree that Thycotic is a culture of hard work and can be fast-paced but I wouldn't ... More

Great company

I worked at Thycotic full-time

Pros

Thycotic was a great company to work for. It was a place where I enjoyed going to work on a daily basis. There are too many reasons to list why, however, here are a few:

-great work environment
    -great benefits
    -great travel opportunities
    -great people to work with
    -no micro managing
    -easy to go to owner/senior management with issues, thoughts, or problems

Basically, the whole culture at Thycotic is awesome!!!

Cons

I think that the company could use a little more structure. However, they are growing at a rapid pace and I can understand how this could make it difficult.

My only advice would be to keep on doing what you are doing. I would try my best to preserve the culture that you have created as you grow and become a huge company.

May 1, 2014CEO

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review - it is really nice to get your feedback. We will try our best to keep everything just the way it is as we grow - we have a really ... More

Awesome job.

Current Employee - Marketing Team  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Marketing Team in Washington, DC

I have been working at Thycotic full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Benefits are great
    -There is a lot of room for learning and growth. If you are just starting of your career, there is a lot of room to stretch your wings, wear new hats, and build new strengths.
    -No micro-managing, as long as you work hard
    -Work with a team of smart and motivated individuals
    -Company is growing at a steady pace, not too fast
    -Stable company with a start-up vibe
    -Very low turn over rate speaks for itself
    -Job security, we are working in a very promising industry

Cons

If living outside of DC, commuting can be a pain.

Keep up the good work!

Dec 23, 2013CEO

Thanks for the great review. The people here on the team are the magic to our success.

Great company working in a very necessary space

I worked at Thycotic full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Security. Thycotic's products are extremely necessary for every business and organization in the world. Everywhere. No doubt, this company is only going to continue booming.
    -Open office space encourages teamwork
    -Friendly office mates
    -Organize your own schedule during the day
    -Valuable learning experience. The CEO encourages employees to write goals relevant to your professional and personal growth, and gives you bonuses according to your level of achievement. It's like you're getting paid to learn what you want.
    -CEO is very transparent with team. All-hands meetings and status meetings to keep the entire team filled in on company goals.
    -New ideas are welcomed and valued.

Perks:
    -Travel
    -Benefits!
    -Bonuses
    -Team lunches every week

Cons

-It's still a start-up, so your job may require multiple functions. You should be flexible, adaptable, and willing to work hard.
    -Since the company is still new and maturing, you don't exactly have the resources that more established companies have. (i.e. HR, procedures, certain contracts for business, etc.)
    -Lots of meetings (can be bad on an already-busy day)
    -Not much room for promotions as it is still a small company. However, as the tools develop and the company continues to grow, there is no doubt that growth opportunities will arise.

Mgmt, you definitely care about your employees and consider all of our opinions and thoughts with genuine interest. However, you can be really hard to persuade into changing procedures that still may be better for the company in the long run.
    -You have a huge work load. Get a sales manager to manage your sales team!

Sep 1, 2013CEO

Thanks for the great review. We have introduced a Senior Account Manager position and have our first Senior Account Manager (you can guess who). This will help with the sales management side ... More

Great place to work with a fast-growing company

I have been working at Thycotic full-time

Pros

-Small team
    -Great product in high demand-You will get some of the praise!!
    -Evolving industry, so lots of room for product development, suggestions.
    -Excellent leadership with open-minded and experienced professionals
    -Quick implementation of great ideas and ways of doing things
    -Open space interaction yet good personal space
    -AMAZING benefits-Pay is also very good.
    -You can work on many different projects if you really want to.
    -Casual wear every day. You could technically wear a tie and you could still fit in.
    -Free lunches on Wednesday; great way to interact more with other team members that are not that close to you.
    -The list goes on.

Cons

It's a small company with a great and evolving product, so expect some change and adjustments around the product and your work. This could be a Pro as well. I can't think of any other con.

Keep attracting great people with a good dose of flexibility, and great work experience.

Jul 23, 2013CEO

Thanks for the great review.

Good place to work

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Thycotic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked here for a few years and it was a great place to start my career. I learned and developed a lot of best practices that I will continue to use. Even now, working at another company, it is surprising how effective the agile practices are and how much respect I get from applying them when most employees don't. For example, Thycotic really teaches you not only how to test your code well, but also how important testing it really is.

- Opportunities are there to advance your career
    - Good health benefits
    - Coworkers are fun to be around
    - Good processes mean that the environment is extremely low-stress, but things still get done pretty fast
    - Lots of learning opportunities

Cons

Career advancement opportunities are more push than pull. If you want to get promoted, want a big raise, or want to have more responsibilities, it is up to you to bring it up to management.

Actively engage with employees to help advance their career. Don't wait for them to come to you. To attract more employees, I suggest having more of a "start-up" vibe. Some ideas might be to eliminate timesheets and have more lenient hours (i.e., 11 am standup). To remain competitive with startups and larger tech companies, and to keep employees highly motivated, look into stock options or, more feasibly, profit sharing.

Sep 1, 2013CEO

Thanks for the great review.

We do check in with all staff every 6 months from a career perspective during goals review - some speak up and want more responsibility, others don't. Moving up
    ... More

Great place to start out...

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Thycotic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very fast paced and academic environment which embraces the proper way to develop. Any new developer will grow their skills extremely fast in this company. Lot of smart people using the newest and coolest tools.

Cons

Don't expect to get a lot of leadership growth and potential from this company. You are a developer and that is it. A hired gun. You will not get any say in the direction or decision making of the company no matter how long you stay. You are expected to give about 50 hour of your own time to grow as a developer (work on other projects for the company, get certified, etc.) and in exchange you might or might not get a good bonus.

You're making a boatload of money off the backs of very skilled junior developers and you know what is best for but you and your company BUT please don't try to convince your employees that you have their best interests at heart.

Jul 23, 2013CEO

Ok. I don't think our team would agree with you. We would never describe an engineer at Thycotic as a "hired gun". We gather feedback all the time and it is implemented (retrospective meetings are ... More

Worked for Thycotic? Contribute to the Community!