Thycotic

Awesome job

Current Employee - Software Developer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Thycotic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, great location, awesome management, astounding benefits, and overall just a great atmosphere.

Cons

Constantly challenged to grow your horizons and expand your abilities.

Keep up the great work, and provide more feedback to your employees.

Sep 6, 2014CEO

Thank you for your review. We will look at ways to provide more feedback - we did just start a 360 degree review program using an outside 3rd party - this is helping to get more info for the leaders ... More

Constant Learning, Great Environment for an Intern

Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at Thycotic as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

As an intern, I pair with the full-time software engineers and do the same things they do. There are no boring intern tasks that undervalue my skills - I work on real product code that goes into production. I learn a lot from my experienced co-workers and we learn a lot together when we come across an issue neither of us have experience with. There are a lot of very intelligent programmers here to learn from and share ideas with, making everyone a better software engineer at the end of the day. I also get a prorated amount of vacation days since I'm part-time, which NONE of my friends in college with internships receive. The company also offers the option to pre-load your metro SmartTrip card at the beginning of the month and take out those funds pre-income tax, which is a small but helpful benefit. There is no limit to the amount of hours I can work so long as there is work to be done, and Thycotic is VERY flexible and reasonable regarding my schedule with college. There are no unrealistic expectations for me and an unlimited amount of opportunities to learn new things here, making it a joy to come to work. No one is overly critical or judgmental in the workplace - ideas are valued and shared on a regular basis, and decisions are usually team-based (even if subject to approval of those higher in the chain of command). Similarly, management is usually readily available if questions need to be answered or advice needs to be given. The development process allows for every bit of code to be reviewed by several pairs of eyes, allowing many opportunities for feedback from different engineers. Location-wise, Thycotic is very close to the Farragut North and Farragut West metro stations, so the walk to them is only about a block or two - this makes the DC commute a bit less daunting. The overall laid-back and productive environment of Thycotic make it a great place to work without micro-management or criticism - there are rarely any "slow days" where work seems to drag on and be unproductive.

Cons

The commute to DC can be rough and time-consuming for some people - my commute to and from work is 1.5 hours one way (this is definitely worth considering when working anywhere in DC, and not wholly specific to Thycotic by any means). Although the pay for interns is fair, I know several (intern) peers in college who work elsewhere with higher hourly rates than mine ($17/hr, $18.50/hr, $21/hr) - this is mediated by the benefit of paid time off (which none of those interns receive) and the flexible schedule I work. While some may prefer a higher hourly rate for a high-level part-time internship, it is worth taking those things into account when talking about compensation, along with the constant learning/growing as a programmer and possibility of becoming a full-time employee down the road - being an intern at Thycotic pays off in the long run in more ways than just the monthly paycheck. Speaking of which, the monthly pay can be tricky for some people to deal with - most companies are bi-weekly or even weekly, but this is really a personal preference that will just have to be adjusted when working at a company that pays monthly.

One-on-one meetings are definitely a great time to address any concerns and give any praise where it is due - interns especially value positive feedback to let them know that they are pulling their weight and improving from where they started. My experiences in the past six months I have been employed at Thycotic, including the one-on-one meetings I have had with management have been very pleasant and productive - this is merely forward-looking advice.

Nov 4, 2014CEO

Thanks for taking the time to write this review - and for being so thorough - really appreciated. I think this will be really helpful for other interns considering joining our team.

I am glad
    ... More

Great environment and awesome industry with ability to grow.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Thycotic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Great team. I really enjoy the people with whom I work across all departments.
    - Great company culture. Laid back but most everyone works hard. People have autonomy for the most part. Micro-managing is nearly non-existent.
    - Working in a fast paced and growing industry. Industry trends are always changing which make for an interesting and exciting challenge.
    - Travel both domestic and international.
    - On-par compensation plans, depending on your department.
    - Honest care from management. Small business usually has this as people work closely across all departments.
    - Most people care about their craft. "When you stop learning, you die."
    - Hard work is starting to become recognized more often.
    - Very strong collaborative environment!
    - Organic growth with no external funding. One of the few if not only companies in this space/industry which is not backed by a multi-million/billion dollar company or VC fund. This means company cares about the solutions we sell and the problems we solve. No external shareholders or management dictating the direction of the company.

- Overall great place to work and would definitely recommend this company to people looking to work in a small but growing environment in a very fast paced and ever-changing industry. There are waves to be made, and this company is definitely making waves. We have dramatically increased our brand awareness and constantly eating away at our competitors stake in the industry. With a little more time spent on development, we will soon outpace our competitors and be the gold standard within the PAM space. As long as we keep to our roots and do what we do best, we will continue to shine and make a name for ourselves.

Cons

- Some collaborative tasks are hard to get passed through management. However this trend is shifting and teams are given more autonomy.
    - Come review time, you will have to prove your worth to the company to receive bonuses. Sometimes hard for non Type-A personalities to achieve this.
    - Certain individuals can dictate projects or shut down ideas because of their tenure and/or strong personalities - once again this trend is starting to shift. Sometimes senior management either ignores and/or is blind to this happening.
    - Personal growth is slow but feasible. Remember, this is still a small but growing business. Not everyone can be a manager.

Keep on doing what you are doing. I think the company is definitely headed in the right direction. I would continue the trend of giving teams more autonomy and only stepping in when problems are imminent. Even then, it's good to let people bump their head and learn from mistakes (unless it will be a very expensive mistake). I think a clear picture of the future of the company and the direction management wants to take it, needs to presented to the company in a more open format. We are definitely given the "why" things are happening, but where do we see the company in 5-10 years, and how are we going to empower our teams to take the company there? Are we giving the teams the right tools to succeed?

Nov 4, 2014CEO

Thank you for your thorough review. Your suggestions are most welcome.

We did recently have an open panel format during our all-hands meeting where anyone at Thycotic could pose questions to the
    ... More

I'm very blessed to work here.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Thycotic full-time (less than an year)

Pros

zero micro managment
    positive people
    fun atmosphere
    hard workers all around
    people care about their craft
    knowledgeable staff
    great perks
    great flexibility
    great industry
    food, so much food
    casual dress
    great paid time off (PTO)
    great recruiting methods
    growing organization
    bright future

Cons

learning technology is challenging and there aren't a ton of reading or video resources to draw from so you need to have a bit of a go get em attitude about learning your craft, inexperienced sales team but at the same time, they're so excited to get better and learn and grow and everyone is humble

have more recognition meetings baked into the schedule for motivation and positive news and individual recognition

Nov 4, 2014CEO

Thank you for taking the time to write this review - it means a lot. We can only grow and improve things if we know about them.

We have had multiple suggestions to provide more recognition for

Better than I'd dreamed

Current Employee - Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Thycotic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyone at the company is your friend. You will constantly be encouraged in what you do and constantly challenged to improve yourself. I am excited to go to work everyday in this amazing atmosphere, doing what I love daily.

Cons

I have yet to find anything that dissatisfies me, and I've been working here for a year.

Keep up the brilliant work.

Jun 23, 2014CEO

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review - I am so proud of our team that we can get such great comments - they are an amazing crew right across the board.

You will work hard, but you will never starve!

Former Employee - Confidential in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Confidential in Washington, DC

I worked at Thycotic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You will never starve - employees receive a catered lunch once a week, and there are plenty of leftovers. In some cases, employees are bringing in food and leaving it in the kitchen for all to eat. The company also sponsors social occasions a few times a year where you can eat great food and have a good time.

Close to many food vending trucks and restaurants. All within easy walking distance. Near a great park to sit and relax.

Accessible to two metro stops.

Great benefits and vacation plan. The company really looks out for you.

Small gym in the office building available for free for all tenants.

Casual work environment - keep your suits and ties at home. You don’t have to worry about the dry cleaning bill. Business casual.

Small office library with good books.

Investing in the company - the CEO is investing some profits back into the company by hiring new employees, purchasing new equipment, and expanding the office space. There is a real commitment to constantly improve the products.

Products - good reputation in the industry. Improvements are always being made. There is a real effort to get customer feedback and incorporate their suggestions. Employees really care about their work.

Open to new ideas - you don’t have to be a wallflower. If you have a good idea or suggestion, speak up. People will listen, and sometimes, they will even like what you have to say.

Cons

Hard work - you will have to work hard. If you are seeking an easy 9 to 5 job, look elsewhere. Many employees come to work early and work late, depending on the projects or assignments. It can be difficult to establish a work/life balance. However, there is enough vacation time to help reduce burnout and stress.

Fast paced work environment - if you are use to working in a more structured or conservative work environment, Thycotic may not be the place for you. Because of the industry, changes can occur very rapidly, which can sometimes lead to confusion. New policies are constantly being added or being amended. You need to keep up. Although the company started in the mid-1990s, it still has a start-up feel to it, and still has some growing pains. While working in a company with a start-up vibe may be romantic to some, if you come from a large company, you could be in for a cultural shock.

Promotions - there is not always a set structure on how people are promoted. It is usually up to the CEO. Because the company has only an HR consultant who is onsite maybe once or twice a week, there is not always formal promotional structure or printed announcements. Unlike a publicly owned company or a governmental agency, there is no requirement to officially announce new job openings. So it can be a little unclear about what you have to do to be promoted. But the good news is that no one is walking around wearing the "high hat" or being bossy. If you prefer getting on a fast promotional track, you may be better off working for a major corporation.

Love thy neighbor - if you love working in an office with your own desk, or behind high cubicles, Thycotic may not be the place for you. The company has an open office seating policy. While great for consulting with your neighbors, it can lead to distractions and the office can be a little noisy at times. You better have a high degree of concentration and self-discipline to focus on your work. There are private areas to work if you really need to concentrate, but I wouldn’t make it a habit.

Jun 23, 2014CEO

Thank you for the very detailed review. Your experience seems to have been very positive which is nice to hear. I agree that Thycotic is a culture of hard work and can be fast-paced but I wouldn't ... More

Great company

I worked at Thycotic full-time

Pros

Thycotic was a great company to work for. It was a place where I enjoyed going to work on a daily basis. There are too many reasons to list why, however, here are a few:

-great work environment
    -great benefits
    -great travel opportunities
    -great people to work with
    -no micro managing
    -easy to go to owner/senior management with issues, thoughts, or problems

Basically, the whole culture at Thycotic is awesome!!!

Cons

I think that the company could use a little more structure. However, they are growing at a rapid pace and I can understand how this could make it difficult.

My only advice would be to keep on doing what you are doing. I would try my best to preserve the culture that you have created as you grow and become a huge company.

May 1, 2014CEO

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review - it is really nice to get your feedback. We will try our best to keep everything just the way it is as we grow - we have a really ... More

Awesome job.

Current Employee - Marketing Team in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Marketing Team in Washington, DC

I have been working at Thycotic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Benefits are great
    -There is a lot of room for learning and growth. If you are just starting of your career, there is a lot of room to stretch your wings, wear new hats, and build new strengths.
    -No micro-managing, as long as you work hard
    -Work with a team of smart and motivated individuals
    -Company is growing at a steady pace, not too fast
    -Stable company with a start-up vibe
    -Very low turn over rate speaks for itself
    -Job security, we are working in a very promising industry

Cons

If living outside of DC, commuting can be a pain.

Keep up the good work!

Dec 23, 2013CEO

Thanks for the great review. The people here on the team are the magic to our success.

Great company working in a very necessary space

Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Thycotic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Security. Thycotic's products are extremely necessary for every business and organization in the world. Everywhere. No doubt, this company is only going to continue booming.
    -Open office space encourages teamwork
    -Friendly office mates
    -Organize your own schedule during the day
    -Valuable learning experience. The CEO encourages employees to write goals relevant to your professional and personal growth, and gives you bonuses according to your level of achievement. It's like you're getting paid to learn what you want.
    -CEO is very transparent with team. All-hands meetings and status meetings to keep the entire team filled in on company goals.
    -New ideas are welcomed and valued.

Perks:
    -Travel
    -Benefits!
    -Bonuses
    -Team lunches every week

Cons

-It's still a start-up, so your job may require multiple functions. You should be flexible, adaptable, and willing to work hard.
    -Since the company is still new and maturing, you don't exactly have the resources that more established companies have. (i.e. HR, procedures, certain contracts for business, etc.)
    -Lots of meetings (can be bad on an already-busy day)
    -Not much room for promotions as it is still a small company. However, as the tools develop and the company continues to grow, there is no doubt that growth opportunities will arise.

Mgmt, you definitely care about your employees and consider all of our opinions and thoughts with genuine interest. However, you can be really hard to persuade into changing procedures that still may be better for the company in the long run.
    -You have a huge work load. Get a sales manager to manage your sales team!

Sep 1, 2013CEO

Thanks for the great review. We have introduced a Senior Account Manager position and have our first Senior Account Manager (you can guess who). This will help with the sales management side ... More

Great place to work with a fast-growing company

I have been working at Thycotic full-time

Pros

-Small team
    -Great product in high demand-You will get some of the praise!!
    -Evolving industry, so lots of room for product development, suggestions.
    -Excellent leadership with open-minded and experienced professionals
    -Quick implementation of great ideas and ways of doing things
    -Open space interaction yet good personal space
    -AMAZING benefits-Pay is also very good.
    -You can work on many different projects if you really want to.
    -Casual wear every day. You could technically wear a tie and you could still fit in.
    -Free lunches on Wednesday; great way to interact more with other team members that are not that close to you.
    -The list goes on.

Cons

It's a small company with a great and evolving product, so expect some change and adjustments around the product and your work. This could be a Pro as well. I can't think of any other con.

Keep attracting great people with a good dose of flexibility, and great work experience.

Jul 23, 2013CEO

Thanks for the great review.