TiER1 Performance Solutions

Updated December 13, 2014
Updated December 13, 2014
3.6

Greg Harmeyer

Great company-provides freedom to grow

I have been working at TiER1 Performance Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about TiER1 for me is the freedom to pursue and develop the work that motivates me. Naturally (and obviously) that work must fit into the framework of the company and our clients. But no one tells me precisely what tasks or projects I will be supporting each year. I can and have reached out both within the company and with our clients and shaped projects and tasks to add value in areas and ways that motivated me. I don't want to give the impression that this has been easy. It has been a challenge. I like challenges. I have not always been 100% successful in setting up areas and projects to work within that were perfectly aligned with what I wanted to do. But the ability to influence it has been exciting and keeps me engaged at TiER1.
    I truly enjoy the people I work with. There is also a lot of freedom there. I can and have developed relationships across different parts of the company. I have never encountered a barrier. No one tells anyone that they can or can't work with any team or individual. For the vast majority of people I have worked with, it has been enjoyable, educational, and inspirational. When I have not found common ground with someone, there has been no pressure to work with a person or a team or project and as a team we found good ways to work the off-ramp and transition.
    My personal performance goals are clear and objective. Provide value in my work. Work well with my teams. Hit my utilization target. I feel that all of these are within my control. I love that.

Cons

Honestly, I have not seen any significant challenges to working at TiER1 compared to other places. I have worked at quite a few other organizations prior to joining TiER1. There are no unique challenges at our company. We are a consulting firm. That work can be stressful because you are working to help people achieve their goals and objectives. I have had many good days and some stressful days. But the people around the company have always been supportive.
    Here are what others might consider cons (I don't): long hours; high expectations for high quality work.

The 80/20 rule applies everywhere. Don't let a vocal minority distract you from the majority of good work and great impact the company is having. Keep things in perspective.
    Continue to focus on relationship both internal and external to the company.
    I think you do a good job of listening to people within the company--continue to give that a lot of emphasis.
    A few bad apples can be disruptive and destructive--help them find other places to work.

Great company, great people, terrific leadership

I worked at TiER1 Performance Solutions full-time

Pros

Work life balance was important to me and the company really was supportive of my personal needs and knew I would always be available and exceed client requirements and needs.

Cons

The office location is a little north of the downtown Pittsburgh and while cranberry is 5 min away via car, you can't really walk anywhere to lunch

Senior Management was great to work for, demonstrated empathy when needed, extremely trust worthy people.

Some of the best people I've ever been around.

Current Employee - Consultant in Covington, KY

I have been working at TiER1 Performance Solutions full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

First, in full disclosure, I’m Greg Harmeyer, CEO and one of the co-founders of TiER1 Performance Solutions. My views of TiER1 are admittedly a little biased. But I’ve worked here pretty much since the beginning so I thought they were also relevant.

The positives:
    The people at TiER1 are some of the best people I’ve ever been around in my life. Hands down how people treat each other and the level of compassion people have for others is the best thing about the company. (A close second is the level of talent they have). The character, personal values, commitment to great work, and compassion for others that exist are both humbling and inspiring. If you walk into a TiER1 office, you will feel the energy, camaraderie and warmth. It is a special environment and the people make it so.

It is a growing organization. It has grown about 25% per year and is profitable. It will grow about 25% in 2014 and we project similar growth in 2015. Profitable growth is a “pro” because it provides both a secure environment and opportunities for individual growth. It has been amazing to watch people flourish here; I certainly have grown considerably.

TiER1 is low on structure. It is very client-centric and client focused and doesn’t have a lot of bureaucracy. If you prefer a lot of structure and/or direction it may not be the best environment.

It has a great deal of transparency (ironically, our main office has “glass doors”….and glass walls as well). Everything – strategies, financials, successes and failures, underperforming projects - is shared openly with everyone.

People at TiER1 will do anything to help each other professionally and personally. I have seen countless situations where people have faced personal challenges and the entire organization has rallied around them. It is one of the many reasons I am deeply connected to the people here.

TiER1 has two central core values: People and Performance. The company philosophy is that People are at the center of our lives and our work. This is true in the relationships we have with our clients and in the actual work we do. But it is also true internally; the organization consistently puts the well-being of people above everything else.

But Performance also matters. The organization has high expectations. People that do well at TiER1 have high expectations of themselves and love being around other high-performers. If you like being challenged and being around others who do, it’s a good environment. If you prefer more predictability and consistency in the work environment, it’s probably difficult. It is, fundamentally, a client-driven consulting organization. That means there are often real deadlines and real demands placed upon people. This is the nature of professional services. While most people’s work weeks are very reasonable, it is a professional environment. You shouldn’t expect a 40 hour work week to be typical and if you do, it’s not the right place for you.

On the other side, you have tremendous flexibility to manage your life. (There really is no excuse for you to miss events with your kids…anyone here at TiER1 will help you manage your work so that you don’t have to.)

Overall, for me, it's been a great place to work. There are days where it can be challenging. There are always opportunities to improve; there exists a great deal of openness in seeking ways to get better and we're continually getting ideas surfaced. The best evidence that it is, on the whole, a good place to work is the nearly dozen awards as a Best Place to Work in Cincinnati and Pittsburgh (awards given based on annual anonymous all employee surveys). That said, meeting and talking to the people who work at TiER1 is far more compelling.

While most reviews on this site are anonymous and for good reason, anonymity keeps you from knowing the context of the individuals. It can make an assessment of the company challenging. If you really want to know something about TiER1 - or any company - I'd suggest you talk to people who work there. If you don't know anyone at TiER1, connect with someone on LinkedIn and I'm sure they will be happy to help. I'm also certain you'll get an honest opinion.

Cons

The cons:
    Growth can be a con because sometimes it stresses the organization; we do have a unwavering commitment to delivering to our clients. Sometimes in a growing environment that can be demanding. If you are looking for a predictable 40 hour work week, this isn't the right place.

It’s a growing company with big dreams. Sometimes the resources to realize those are stretched thin.

TiER1 rewards initiative, but expects initiative. If you don’t assert yourself, you might struggle. Developing relationships w high performing mentors and career advisors is very important to help with this.

It is a very flat environment. Some people are far better suited in something more structured and hierarchical.

Amazing culture for high-performers to learn, grow and help others

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

tons of opportunities to stretch and grow, variety of clients, positive culture where "thank yous" abound, value and appreciate the "whole person" (in that they recognize the importance of family, well-being, etc. to your ability to perform and allow a great deal of flexibility for when and how you work. Ability to "jump around" to find the best fit/focus for you.

Cons

High expectations for performance, pressure to be as wonderful as smart and talented as the people you work with (good problem to have!)

TiER1's leaders do a wonderful job. It's hard to find something to criticize other than the benefits plans are expensive, but this is in line with national trends.

One of the best places to work in Cincinnati

Current Employee - Consultant in Covington, KY

Pros

I’ve been a part of TiER1 for 3.5 years and it’s easily been the best portion of my 18 year career in terms of personal growth and how much I've enjoyed my work. No company is perfect, but from my perspective (based mostly on experience with Fortune 50 companies) TiER1 is a very good company and group of people to work with.

It’s important to me that organizations “walk the walk” and I believe TiER1 does a good job of that related to its core values (High Performance, Initiative, Value, Accountability, Relationships, and Fun). It's mission is about improving people and performance and in turn it also seeks to be a high-performing organization.

I see TiER1 as a group of talented people who ended up working together mainly because they were attracted to the company culture. Annual all-company events, monthly all-company “Pulse” meetings with free pizza, and events like the Cincinnati Scurry and the annual holiday party are some ways that the company tries to foster a fun, team atmosphere. Leadership is transparent about financial results and the impacts. The cool office in Covington mirrors how I describe TiER1 to friends: a nice mix of a stable business/learning consulting co. and a hip, creative ad agency (but thankfully without the ad agency drama).

I believe that a few things I read in other posts were false. Fitbits were a holiday gift, one that many were excited about as healthy alternative to chocolates and caramel popcorn, not a bonus replacement. For its size, TiER1 has actually been remarkably consistent about paying out full company bonuses to all employees every 6 months, which I see as an indication that the leaders care about their employees and manage the company financials well. I'm sure some are unhappy for one reason or another, but I recently ended the workday at a celebratory happy hour with about 25 smiling and laughing colleagues. Groups often get together to run races, volunteer, or just try out a new restaurant for lunch. Yes, there’s usually beer in the company fridge, but there are also several employees who don’t drink at all and they fit in just fine.

Cons

Growth has caused changes to roles and processes and inevitably that leads to some friction. What worked 5 years ago may not work today or may be difficult to replicate with different teammates. Compensation isn't what you might get a some other larger companies, but I believe it's fair, especially considering the culture and work environment. Internal processes and systems could use improvement. Pressure to deliver client work can make it difficult to coach others or be coached. If you aren't staffed on a big project, you'll need to network well internally if you want to find enough project work to hit your utilization target.

I don't necessarily think I need to provide any advice here. I’ve shared several ideas directly with the CEO and others on a wide variety of topics including project prioritization, bonus calculation, how we provide feedback to teammates, and updates to our our core values. I’ve always found a willing ear and an open mind, even if not everything is acted upon. Thanks and keep it up.

As I mentioned before, I think the culture is what attracted most of us to TiER1. If we keep it we'll continue to attract talented and caring people; if we lose it I think we'll start losing good people too.

An Agency Showing Danger Signs

I worked at TiER1 Performance Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

TiER1 can have a fun atmosphere and culture, which is the initial draw to work at the company. Devotion to co-workers and shared hobbies is also a plus and can keep you working there for perhaps longer than you should.

Cons

TiER1 is following the classic trend of a consulting agency with recent rapid growth now entering a decline. This decline, from this poster's perspective, is due to lack of operational and managerial ability to manage employees and drive company growth.

The company shifted from focusing on employee personal growth to company growth and as such, employee value has sharply decreased. Words that appear most often in meetings whether they be team or one-on-one is "billable," "utilization," and "resources." Resources refers to people and their job role. This focus was not prevalent until one year ago. Since these initiatives began, employee satisfaction has steadily decreased and is reaching dangerous disengagement levels in multiple locations in the company.

Compensation is not competitive and health benefits are mediocre. You will find a second source of income is a necessity. Salary bonuses were replaced with Fitbit bracelets in December 2013, which generated a temporary surface-level buzz but didn't ultimately replace the skipped bonuses.

Career advancement is very difficult in this company unless you dedicate a lot of time playing inter-company politics. Meeting performance expectations as laid out in the employee handbook does not guarantee advancement. While this is no different from any other company, TiER1 commonly uses phrases such as "TiER1 is a flat organization," meaning that all employees and their views are valued regardless of position. This is an attractive phrase in theory but is not used in practice. You can and will permanently run afoul in this organization if you give constructive criticism about its performance. It is recommended that you do not accept this phrase at face value and play the game at this company no differently than you would at companies that have the usual array of complex and ultimately negative politics.

In short, unless you are within a small subset of the company that can only be entered after playing the political game, you will feel undervalued, underused, and dissatisfied and to reverse these experiences on your end will take more time than it is to find new employment. I do not recommend this company to either entry-level employees or veterans unless drastic changes are made.

Cut out the poisonous apples who are either performing poorly or attempting to drive the company for their own personal gain. Their gain is not synonymous with the health and longevity of the company or the satisfaction of its employees. Salvage the good employees you have and re-invest in your existing talent before they cut and run. Resume hiring and focus on acquiring top-notch talent once again. That is what made TiER1 grand inside and out.

A different kind of consulting company

I have been working at TiER1 Performance Solutions full-time

Pros

autonomy, fun team atmosphere, decent benefits, company values, good work-life value (for the most part)

Cons

satellite offices get overlooked, salary not competitive for consulting

pay for performance

I would not work here

Current Employee - Consultant in Covington, KY

Pros

From the outside, TiER1 does an good job of presenting a good image and making themselves "look good", (glossy marketing, cool office, etc.) but don't be fooled because it's only an illusion. Vacation time is decent. Compensation is fair (health benefits not so much). That's about it, unfortunately. The owners/founders of the company I believe, are genuinely good people but have lost control due to very rapid growth in the last 3 years and poor leadership who lack accountability directly under them, which is really unfortunate. Maybe a good place to work straight out of college to get some experience for a year or maybe two, but that's it.

Cons

Another earlier post here on Glassdoor about TiER1 (“Appearances are Deceiving....”) said it best... "Where to start..." This is a very, very cliquish company. You find out really fast if you are "one of them" or not. If not, your career is basically over at this company.

Project management is incredibly poor, and leadership (with the exception of ownership) is even worse.

Very little accountability and people throwing everyone under the bus to save their own butts is pretty much the way it goes here.

Projects (and ultimately people) are constantly set up for failure due to incompetent leadership.

Many long hours, late nights, and weekends cleaning up project catastrophes are the norm.

Leadership claims they are open to suggestions, but it is essentially a kiss of death for ever speaking up.

Everyone acts as though they are happy, drink the Kool-Aid, and act like the biggest cheerleaders for the company, but at least 80% will tell you in confidence how absolutely miserable they really are. If you are truly a consultant (and not a recent grad) you will likely be miserable as well.

Leadership talks about values and culture constantly, but it is amazing how little it is really exercised (and even blatantly ignored).

Despite all of this I still like the CEO.

Unfortunately you are more concerned about rapid growth and profit margins (in all likelihood to try to sell the company) and over the last few years just about everything has spiraled out of control in terms of caring for your biggest and most important asset - your people. You really don't seem to understand (or not even really aware) how disgruntled most of the company is. Your employees may clap their hands and smile at company meetings, but most are pretty miserable and would leave, but there really aren't a ton of options in Cincinnati or Pittsburgh, so they reluctantly stay.

You are blowing it. This company has such potential, and there are a lot of hard-working and talented people trying to do their best but get thrown under the bus or stabbed in the back and ultimately demoralized. You say you truly care, but actions speak louder than words. The office politics and gossip (even by your top brass) is very unprofessional.

Appearances are Deceiving....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Covington, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Covington, KY

I worked at TiER1 Performance Solutions full-time

Pros

From the outside, company looks like a great place to be. Great place to work if you like to drink alcohol (there's a beer fridge in the office). Company owners are very kind and interested in growth.

Cons

Where to start.....?
    -If you are not a hipster, don't bother applying...you won't fit in (unless you're older than "hipster" and find their antics and quirky personalities cute).
    -The compensation is ridiculously low, and benefits are pretty pitiful as well.
    -Communication between employees, management, and pretty much everyone is not great.
    -Lots and lots of exhausting office politics.
    -Lack of clarity in expectations and assignments.
    -You have to watch your back constantly. There is always someone ready to take advantage or stab you in the back at any point.
    -Once you're an "outsider," you don't make it back "in."
    -The hiring process is incredibly slow and disorganized.
    -A constant feeling of being set up for failure.
    -Clients are never wrong. It doesn't matter if you have to miss your kids' events or work 24 hours straight. Even if the client is making ridiculous demands and has been unhappy for no reason, there's never anyone trying to set realistic expectations and manage the relationship effectively.
    -If you don't drink alcohol, you won't move up. There are lots of happy hours and office parties where beer and wine is consumed. If you're not a drinker, you won't fit in, and those who don't fit in at Tier1 don't ever get promoted....it's just that simple.

Your enthusiasm and dedication to growing the company is great. However, it seems like you are clueless about the underlying issues that are taking place in the office. You are allowing your office to be run by employees who are not located on-site, and are getting information from other employees who have their own interests in mind. There is a major political game that's being played in the office, and it makes for miserable employees who have to put on a smile, or risk being tossed out of the office clique. I don't remember anyone who wasn't afraid of supervisors, who could just decide to fire anyone on a whim.

Tread carefully...

I worked at TiER1 Performance Solutions as a contractor

Pros

Connections with great clients; good opportunities for contractors to work for top employers.

Cons

Hiring process is disorganized, and anyone new to consulting may be blindsided by poor communication. Good people can drift away without feeling valued.

More respect needs to be shown regarding feedback. Not every employee is going to be a great fit for every job, but each deserves respect as a person. Plus, we all have connections and people talk. Unfortunately, negative impressions don't go away overnight.

TiER1 Performance Solutions Photos