Tidewater Transit Reviews

John McNairy

1. driver

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Cowpens, SC
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Cowpens, SC

I worked at Tidewater Transit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

home time was great.

Cons

this was one of the best places to work until they changed management

Advice to Management

get rid of the better than thou mentality, it used to be drivers were your life blood, until you moved around some managers.

2. CDL Driver

Current Employee - OTR Driver in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - OTR Driver in Houston, TX

I have been working at Tidewater Transit full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

More money would be a plus

3. A company that honestly cares about their employees

Current Employee - Driver in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Driver in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Tidewater Transit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Home time when it's needed. Stable, debt free, honest, understanding, etc. Dispatch is great and understands how you like to run. The entire company feels like one big family no matter what terminal you may visit. From shop to VP everyone is always happy to see you and their for you when ya need them. Equipment is top notch and when I have had something break, it's fixed ASAP.

Cons

Benefits are a little expensive, yet still affordable, when compared to other companies, but quality of life outweighs this con by far. Other companies pay more, but again they do not treat you as well as TWT.

Advice to Management

You are wonderful and have made my career a dream!

5. Worst job I ever had. Tank driver slaving out of Columbia, SC.

Current Employee - Tanker Driver in West Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Tanker Driver in West Columbia, SC

I have been working at Tidewater Transit full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros. If I could just work in the office it would be great. Monday through Friday, company paid lunch everyday and a knap after lunch. I could leave early on Friday and tell everyone " it sucks to be you".

Cons

Health insurance is out of reach expensive. You have drivers that have no insurance. We cannot afford it. No insurance no check ups or physicals. twt should be ashamed of what's happening in Columbia! DAK what a joy 70 hours of week oh thanks work every weekend wooo hooo Pay is terrible Assistant mechanic rummaging through belongings in your truck thanks

Advice to Management

Treat people like humans not a commodity you use up and throw out. Keep hiring student drivers. Enjoy your pay back to treating experienced drivers like dogs. Safety is a joke! Keep taking our money, twt obviously needs it worse.

One Year too long

Former Employee - Tanker Driver in Cowpens, SC
    Former Employee - Tanker Driver in Cowpens, SC

I worked at Tidewater Transit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

gave me the year I needed to move along

Cons

the truck was fairly new, mechanic played favorites with equipment so never could make tracks to make any money; insurance cost an arm, leg and liver and we will be paying the hospitals forever; clerical staff must be having fun because they cannot get peoples paperwork done so you get paid for what you do... I worked hard too but don't consider myself above others... just wanted HoNest days pay for my honest long day!

Advice to Management

you will always have a job while drivers come and go... consider some automation beside that out-dated PeopleNet. A benefit would be some folks who understand concept of customer service goes beyond the customer being served, its to one another. Kindness goes Very far in this world. Truck drivers are not all trash.

Driver in kingsport Tn. For 6+ years

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Tidewater Transit full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good truck & trailers Great people in shop.

Cons

Low pay high insurance they are cheap on loading &unload pay only pay 50.00 dollar for holiday pay

Advice to Management

Wakeup before it to late

Driver for 4 years here.

Current Employee - Tanker Driver in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Tanker Driver in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Tidewater Transit full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hometime is better than most other companies in my area. Pretty driver friendly company in my terminal (Kingsport) and trucks are above avg.

Cons

However, pay is lower, benefits are very poor (health ins. Is worst I've ever had due to very high cost and poor plan) no sick days, only $50 holiday pay and 401 k is average. Management is only out for themselves. They will not go to bat for drivers and are micromanaging the company way too much. They act like your best friend and try to make you feel important then their actions speak louder than words. I bust my butt for them with no appreciation in return. I don't feel like there is a future here and I will only last until I get a better opportunity with another company.

Advice to Management

Encourage your employees through positive reinforcement not through punishment and intimidation. It's all about respect and management has none.

I am a driver working out of the Columbia, SC terminal

Current Employee - Tanker Driver in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Tanker Driver in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Tidewater Transit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Herman, He keeps the trucks in good shape and always available for some witty advice.

Cons

DAK of Americas. $ 22.00 to load a trailer. $ 15.15 per hour after first two hours. 14 hour work days. At TWT you work 14 hour days 6 days per week. Load two trailers before you leave. Usually 7 hours of work before you start driving. 70 hours per week given to TWT. Pay certainly does not reflect 70 hours of work. Insurance is very expensive. Cannot afford to have insurance while working at TWT. The sleeping assistant mechanic. Tough pill to swallow while you required to work so hard. Safety department. They like to take your safety bonus money. Safety man has never driven a truck and knows it all! Likes to take working mans money. Cannot get more then 34 hours per week off. Work every weekend Time off very difficult to get because they cannot keep drivers. Dispatch- enough said

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. Try working one 70 hour week. Try working one weekend. Work past 3:30. Drivers day half over and management leaving with grin on his face. Go to bat for the driver. Need to go to percentage like other terminals.

10. Better than most.

Current Employee - Tanker Driver in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Tanker Driver in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Tidewater Transit

Pros

If one wants to work they usually have it. I have made more money here than any other job, but it's mostly due to the fact that I work more than most others. Some terminals have mileage pay while others have percentage. Percentage is better. Management big on safety because we haul deadly stuff. Generally good place to work.

Cons

Benefits could be better. Health ins. not good and way too expensive for what one gets. Cost me $580 monthly for family coverage for bad plans. Holiday pay is only $50 and no sick/personal days. I think pay should be more per trip due to the high risk we take handling such dangerous product.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. However, I think it is reasonable to offer better benefits. I have compared ours with some of our major competitors and theirs are much better. Almost better enough to make me think twice if I was to be offered a job with them.

11. Clerical

I have been working at Tidewater Transit full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people and management for the most part are wonderful to work with. Family oriented and laid back good people. Any one who is quick witted would fit right in and most likely advance within the company.

Cons

The Pay scale is reasonable but that great. The insurance is very high.

RSS Feed </> Embed