Tiffany & Co.

Updated November 16, 2014
Updated November 16, 2014

Tiffany & Co. Chairman and CEO Michael J. Kowalski
Michael J. Kowalski

Pros
  • If you are looking for a stable place with good benefits this is a good place for you (in 25 reviews)

• There is great work/life balance and the benefits are fantastic (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance, culture is horrible, continuous power struggle with senior management (in 9 reviews)

• Graded harshly on everything by upper management on how you acknowledge a customer to challenges making sales targets (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Good starting job, but no room for advancement within company. Would recommend if you are not that motivated.

I have been working at Tiffany & Co. (more than 3 years)

Pros

People who work there are outgoing and friendly. Company has many perks. Many areas of the company lead to dead ends.

Cons

Poor salary along with minimal opportunity for advancement. Very monotonous work while dealing with less than desirable people

Increase internal opportunity. Make more incentive based. Develop more practical skills.

Company has lost sight of importance of valuing, rewarding and offering internal career progression to its employees.

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Tiffany & Co. full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nice employee store with discounted merchandise. Company is well regarded in high end luxury market. Corporate offices are nice and in good location in Manhattan.

Cons

Too many ongoing changes since lay offs of 2008, has left a very nervous employee population creating a very sour and demotivating working environment. Management not focused on right priorities and needs to communicate more openly and honestly on all levels. Pay not in line and very poor yearly increases are given, even for best performers. Very political environment creates an unpleasant daily experience. HR is very ineffective, and basically will do nothing to back up employees. Be careful about continuing to hire top management from the same foreign country.

Go back to the core values which originally made the company a well respected organization. Appreciate and reward appropriately high and outstanding performers. Get rid of ineffective and abusive higher level management, and focus on motivating your employees effectively. Make the company a dynamic, inspiring and fulfilling place to work, and you will see great results on your surveys!

It's a typical retail job just like any other retail establishment.

Current Employee - Branch Security Officer in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Branch Security Officer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Tiffany & Co. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The healthcare benefits are pretty good and a 401k with matching contributions is nice. It's an easy retail job and the name recognition makes one stand out a bit amongst friends and peers. If one enjoys the luxury retail atmosphere and the type of clientele luxury retail attracts one might find this a comfortable place to work.

Cons

There is no room for growth or professional expansion based on merit. The company's policy of not promoting from within mean that employees are stuck in their hired positions no matter their skill level or ability. Sales stay sales, security stays security, and customer service stays customer service. Management is hired from outside the company and very seldom have comprehensive management skills. The outstanding and exceptional managers use the company as a springboard to further their career. This is likely because there is no growth potential with Tiffany. Any legitimate grievance or complaint regarding the company's policies are met with the threat of termination. The pay is stagnant and 'merit' wage increases can be withheld for arbitrary reasons. When 'merit' wage increases are given out they range from 1%-3% typically.

There is no reason to give advice to upper management. Branch level employees are a disposable resource to them and empathy seems to be a disqualifying quality for Management candidates.

Apres Moi, le Deluge.

I have been working at Tiffany & Co. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ridiculously good discount for overpriced items. Nice perks like being able to stub your toe and be late for work for 6 months. No accountability whatsoever. Only better place to work was the Post Office before the economic downturn. Subsidized oxtail stew and other disgusting items that the entire staff, due to diversity, is forced to eat, are a daily "treat". Pretty place to work. Most people are pleasant.

Cons

Disrespect is rampant and misinterpreted according to where one hails from. Fear of Human Resources is the norm. Laziness, rudeness and "I got mine" is rewarded. Racial profiling and hostility is the norm. They can't even get a simple concept like wardrobing right. Major disconnect between Executive and front line.

Learn French. Grow a pair. Prioritize effectively. Dare to leap into the 21st century. Fire the lazy. Fire the under achievers. Fire those who think they have it all figured out since they were 18 and have 20 more years to go until retirement. Fire the drains on the 401K. Fire the Matrix abusers. Hell. Get rid of Matrix! No such thing as work-life balance, unless one is in the Executive offices.

My Experience at Tiffany & Co.

Former Employee - Sales Professional in Frontenac, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Professional in Frontenac, MO

I worked at Tiffany & Co. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun job over all! If you are social and enjoy jewelry and learning about the history of such a legendary company with so much impact on the way we see jewelry today, you will really enjoy these aspects of the job! The sales approach is more of a consultative once over all. You also get typical retail perks.

Cons

You sell in a more consultative way, but still have to make your goals, which seem to get larger as the demand gets smaller. If someone at your company quits, your goals increases until they find someone else, whether they will admit to it or not--they don't admit to much. Part of a manager's job is to keep you thinking everything is great, understandably, but it's very frustrating. The last year I was there, the company changed the commission structure so that we would have more "potential for larger commissions." With the old structure, you would receive 1-2% depending on what you sold or whether or not you made your goal. With the new structure, you receive a plat 1% fee if you didn't make your goal, 1.5% if you made your goal or exceeded it by 15%, I believe it was, then if you exceeded it by 15% you could get 2% and so on. Additionally the goals increased and there were fewer new or large purchase clients coming in everyday. That holiday season was one of the worst I'd see or heard of. Basically it was near impossible to reach the "potential" 2.5 or 3% commission. Also, You would make less money than with the previous structure, EVEN WHEN YOU MADE YOUR GIAL, which became increasingly difficult to do, especially if you hadn't been there at the beginning of the store's opening to snag the local consistent, wealthy bunch.

To top it off, managers and non-sales employees are brought out to help sale during busy times (you know, when the sales are actually good) and would take sales from sales from Sales Professionals--they usually aren't allowed or won't to pass the sale over to you, even when you free up.

Smaller issues I couldn't handle were working all but one weekend a month. I would have liked to work just one weekend day 3 times a month, then get one full weekend off, but then again, I would have likely been further from my goal that way. Also, vacation days are few and difficult to get. Good luck making your goal on the months you take vacation--even though you are paid to supposedly take into account the missing commission you would have earned during the time you were gone (may not be accurate), if you don't make your goal, you lose out hugely on the rest of your commission.

Also, not much room for growth or very slow growth.

Never Again

I have been working at Tiffany & Co.

Pros

* Some co-workers look out for each other
    * The name looks good on a resume

Cons

* Senior Management only care about keeping their jobs
    * No quality of life
    * Horrible morale

Very Corporate, good benefits

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Tiffany & Co. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

After leaving Tiffany's and working where I do now, I realize how cushy of a job I had. The hours were always 9 - 5 and if I needed to stay late for a project it was usually until 5:30. The benefits were fantastic and the culture was kind.

Cons

I wanted more and to work harder, I wanted more responsibility and unfortunately they would not support me in those needs. It wasn't until I was leaving did they offer me the position I had been pushing for, for over a year. The pay was not great.

I think upper management should consider and respect the new talent they're hiring. They want to be innovative and be a leader in their industry but they are continuously scared to take chances and put a little faith into their new team members.

Excellent

Current Employee - Transportation Associate in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Transportation Associate in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Tiffany & Co. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Repetitive tasks so you really know your job. The educational benefit.

Cons

Pay is low, little time off

Hold onto some older employees, they have valuable experience

I had a great experience working there.

I worked at Tiffany & Co.

Pros

Strive for excellence. Great people.

Cons

Becoming more corporate over time.

People are the highest asset and the front line to consumer.

Mediocre management from top to bottom.

Former Employee - Security Officer in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Orlando, FL

I worked at Tiffany & Co. full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Discount on jewelry is about it.

Cons

Poor training of managers, false promises, cheap company that leaves stores looking ragged and dirty. Infighting amongst employees.

You all need to be replaced with people who have the ability to manage. You're more concerned with reports than making the company profitable.

Tiffany & Co. Photos