Tiffany & Co. Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
352 reviews filtered by

Hierarchical culture, wasteful processes, good discount

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Tiffany & Co. full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good discount, summer hours, prestigious brand

Cons

Your time is not valued - expect to put in many hours on projects that will never be reviewed, or work late into the night on an assignment that's due the next morning but then come to find out the meeting is rescheduled to another tbd time; and it will all be your fault.

Rigid bureaucracy, entrenched leadership

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Tiffany & Co. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, decent pay, convenient office location in Flatiron

Cons

TCO went public in 1987; they've been around for a while. Over the years they have developed effective processes and procedures to streamline their operations. It's good for them, but in my opinion it inhibits professional development and personal growth. Specifically working in finance, I lived in a silo with little understanding of how my group connected with other groups to drive the business.

I understand the need for procedure -especially for such a large brand with a quarterly reporting schedule. Job rotation could help get more out of your finance employees.

Selling Pencils from a Cup on Michigan Avenue Would be a Step Up

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Professional in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Professional in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Tiffany & Co. full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The product sells itself. Some of the people you work with are just amazing. They really care about the product, and stay out of the pettiness. The people in operations are valuable resources for information. The discount on the product is great even if it does not apply to all products. The location is amazing.

Cons

Compensation is lackluster with a low commission structure for seasonal temps. Management is condensing and will speak down to you in front of other colleagues on the sales floor. Cross training in other departments such as Customer Service as well as on the job education is nil. I even offered to come in and train on my day off, but was told that they would not cross train seasonal workers much to our detriment. I learned more about the Schlumberger which sells at a trickle whereas I learned nothing about Return to Tiffany which sells constantly. Job shadowing is short (I shadowed for one day, and did not even ring up a transaction before I was put on the floor to sell for myself). Making a small mistake on a transactions means that you'll get a lecture about whatever easily correctable mistake you made after the fact instead of training their employees' to prevent such mistakes. This maelstrom of negative culture makes you second guess yourself and made me feel uncomfortable around managers which is a feeling that I have never felt before. There is a cliquey culture where either you belong or you don't. The sales professionals, "professional" is perhaps a bit of a stretch, will go out of their way to give you the least amount of training so that you are not competing with their sales. If you complain that you have not received enough training, and make a comment that "x" did not train you properly or for long enough. Instead of addressing the issue and keeping it confidential, my manager told the employee that I had lodged a complaint against her and told her all of the things that I had said to her in confidence. Thus, nothing was resolved except this employee would no longer even say "Hello" to me or address me in any way after the fact. Since the floor managers are rarely on the floor, their information about you will be coming from other sources so let's hope that your colleagues like you. The managers have meetings where they talk about employees with the door open (where you can hear how they actually feel about you instead of the usual "happy to see you" facade they put on). Seeing a colleague cry because they overheard the managers' gossip about him/her really made me realise that everything in this store, including the products and interactions between managers and associates, are merely gilded.

You cannot be friends with everyone as a manager, but you should treat everyone fairly instead of having favourites; this is not high school. Having double standards for permanent and seasonal employees (they have selling priority so for the first few weeks you will learn nothing because you will not have customers since it isn't busy) is unacceptable. Do not promise open full time positions after the season when you have not received the okay from New York to hire people on. Managers and even some of the employees (some are little more than cashiers) should be more professional, at least pretend that they work in a luxury environment. Chewing gum on the floor and responding to customers with "Gotcha" is not high end. Managers should value education and try not to talk down to their employees when they have questions (I have had managers roll their eyes at me when I have asked questions).

5. High Stress, High Reward

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Tiffany & Co. full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The benefits and perks were great, as well as the jewelry discounts. The environment was super fast paced which made days go by fast and there is always something interesting going on.

Cons

With the fast pace nature came a high stress environment. Part of the daily routine is all everyone gossiping and talking about what everyone is wearing, so slightly intimidating if fashion isn't your passion. A few management positions were just impossible to please.

A little recognition would go a long way

A fine company..if your in Sales or Management

Current Employee - Branch Security Officer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Branch Security Officer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Tiffany & Co. full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits that start on your first day of work, including a 30 - 50% employee discount on Tiffany products. Not too shabby!

Cons

Working security at Tiffany & Co. is almost like being a broken wind-u toy. They wind you up with all of the security training and assessments they put you through, but instead of releasing you, they put you at the door where you stand guard all day (8 hours or more) and serve basically as a doorman. The problem with this is real doormen actually make A LOT of money! security acting doormen do not.

Security Professionals should only ever be at the door during the presence of suspicious persons in-store. Besides that, we should be allowed to work undercover in plainclothes.

Company changing rapidly

I worked at Tiffany & Co. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits
    Employee discount
    Good team environment

Cons

Management micro manages excessively. Questions small decisions, does not have enough faith in employees. As a supervisor i was told it was my job to babysit employees. Management distrusts that employees are working hard.
    Little room for advancement.
    Senior management is very old TCO and not changing with the times.

Empower your employees to make decisions rather than treating them like toddlers.
    Review pay scales, wages are well below industry standards.

8. Great people, great benefits.

Former Employee - Operations Assistant in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Operations Assistant in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Tiffany & Co. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people who I worked with were amazing, made great friends. It didn't feel like your typical retail store job.

Cons

Not a lot of career advancement options in the retail stores.

9. Great place to work

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Professional in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Professional in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Tiffany & Co. part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Amazing discounts on store merchandise as an employee, and there is an employee store where you can buy things for almost nothing. Good working environment, liked working with the other employees. This store felt like a real "family" and there was very little drama.

Cons

Pay was not the greatest as a temporary/seasonal employee. You would think Tiffany would pay more in order to hire and keep quality employees.

Amazing Summer IT Internship

Former Intern - Database Intern in Parsippany, NJ
    Former Intern - Database Intern in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at Tiffany & Co. as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly atmosphere
    Hours very flexible (come in and leave when you want as long as you hit the 8.5 hrs)
    Staff is very eager to help you
    Cafeteria food is awesome.

Cons

As an intern, you run out of work very quickly. You then have to wait for more work to come in.
    As a full time employee, depending on your position in the company you will have to work over night shifts or weekends.

Hire less interns so there is more work for the fewer amount of interns

Get your money and run!

Former Employee - Sales Professional in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Professional in New York, NY

I worked at Tiffany & Co. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

For a retail job this isn't that bad. Great gig for a couple years to save money. Make sure you get out and leave so you can have a life.

Cons

Difficult work life balance. No growth. This gig makes you hate people!

This is a sinking ship.