TigerDirect Canada

TigerDirect Canada Chairman & CEO Richard Leeds

Richard Leeds

I worked at TigerDirect when they were CompUSA

Trainer (Former Employee) Tallahassee, FL

ProsThe positions paid well, had good benefits, and offered lots of training.

ConsThere is a lot of competition in the technology industry, there are new developments almost daily. It can be demanding at times to stay on top of all the information coming at you. There was also a lot of cross training of positions. A lot to learn. But me, I like learning.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement was top heavy.

Meh.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Richmond Hill, ON (Canada)

ProsThe staff (Corp Sales, Admin, CS, etc) are excellent to work with. People generally have a very positive attitude and work very hard.
    In recent years an attempt has been made to eliminate the internal corruption that has plagued the company. That has helped improve the overall morale of the organization in the last 5 years and improved employee treatment.

ConsAs an unwritten policy there is absolutely no promotion from within. New jobs are not posted for internal staff to see. HR actively seeks to hire from outside and keep new openings/jobs quiet until the role is filled.
     The upper management do not see employees as valuable assets, but rather as liabilities.
    Aside from Corporate sales, reviews are few and far between. Raises are non-existant. Salaries are low.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up and use the staff that you have to full advantage. Grow your employees.

Great at the start, Horrible when management changed

A+ PC Technician (Former Employee) Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Pros-Great sales and associates to work with.
    -Hours are variable depending on position

Cons-Management tends to have it's own agenda.
    -Company tries to make everyone have sales goals, even if you were hired without them.
    -Can be fired for the smallest thing(they will find others or a way of making it work to their advantage).

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be sheep. TD is not the end all for the company.
    Get some morals. Selling product to the customers with false ideas is wrong. Total Defense is a horrible product, yet you make people lie to customers so they will buy it.

Pay more attention to your tech section. Either you want technicians or sales people.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I've been working at Tigerdirect for too long.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsThe retail level is great. Staff is easy to get along with and most of the managers are easy to talk to.

The hours are stable and depending on your job position, not too stressful.

Overall this is a great place to gain entry level experience.

ConsThe company has very unrealistic goals for its sales staff. The CA or TD anti virus software that they push the staff to sell is unanimously acknowledged as the worst software in the market.

The health benefits leave a lot to be desired.

This company does not give raises. The person walking through the door for a new job will be making the same wage as a seasoned veteran who has been there nearly a decade.

All in all, this company does not care about it's employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo store managers, I'd say be on the hunt for a new job, because you're just as expendable as the seasonal staff that you hire.

To the people running the show from Miami, give your employees an incentive to stay. It's not difficult.

good at the beginning.. crap at the end

Bench Technician (Current Employee) Burlington, ON (Canada)

Prosexperience wit technology and working withthe public

Consgarbage corporate handling of every day things

Advice to Senior Managementrun it like a Canadian company , not an american one

I need a raise.

Cashier (Current Employee)

ProsVery minimal responsibility.
    Coworkers are friendly.
    Flexible scheduling.

ConsYou make very little money as a cashier.
    Fighting to compete for warranty sales with sales associates.
    Return policy changes all the time.
    Unhappy customers when you charge them a restocking fee.
    New management/sales associates not properly trained and informing customers with the correct return policy.
    If your till is short you have to pay out of your own pocket or contact the customer to get them come back and pay the difference.
    The turn over is very high, every month it cycles through new staff.
    G tickets are ridiculous and a waste of paper as they get tossed out at the end of the day.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a return policy that works for the store and makes the customer happy as well, and stick with it. Give bonuses or raises to the front end staff who have been there for more than a year. Stop wasting paper with G tickets, it makes the store look bad.

Good people Bad company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Prossometimes can make alot of money
    alot of the people there are a pleasure to work with

Consstrange company policies.
    no training at all.
    alot of people there dont care about the product and just sell to make money.
    upper management doesnt care about the employees.
    too focused on sales numbers and less on customer satisfaction, no matter how much they say they care.

Advice to Senior Managementinvest more in your employees and appreciate them.
    dont try to become a big box retailer. reach out towards the community and receive their input.

They are OK. Uncapped salary

Corporate Account Manager (Current Employee) Etobicoke, ON (Canada)

ProsUncapped salary
    easy job
    access to lots of product
    moderate pressure

ConsDepends on which coach you end up with
    technical issues
    annoying policies

Advice to Senior Managementtrain coaches on management techniques

A place where shady people thrive (at least they think they do)

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, ON (Canada)

ProsAbsolutely nothing is good about this establishment, nothing.

ConsNo training
    Reluctant to help when you ask a manager for assistance
    Sales people shove tickets to people they haven't helped
    Sales people ignore customers they don't think are going to buy a laptop
    Sales people offend customers with the profanity they use around them
    Management is so lazy
    There are a couple good employees but they always get overshadowed by shady employees that suck up to the even more shady management

Advice to Senior ManagementRemain within the confines of the store because you can't get away with your antics in the real world.

it was a learning experience.

Customer Service (Former Employee) Pembroke Pines, FL

Prosdiscount when it was available, all the technological toys and keeping updated with the latest gadgets

Consdiscount wasn't always available, only certain time of the month which discourages you from buying. management needs better training and growth in the company was limited.

Worked for TigerDirect Canada? Contribute to the Community!