TigerDirect

www.tigerdirect.com

TigerDirect Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014
TigerDirect – Miami – “Corporate HQ's”

TigerDirect – Miami – “Corporate HQ's”

TigerDirect Chairman & CEO Richard Leeds

Richard Leeds

Pros
  • Met a lot of really good people, great employee discounts, the ability to practice my craft (in 5 reviews)

• The HR lady is really sweet and we did get paid on time (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay structure for Sales Associates (in 4 reviews)

• You feel like you are in a cage when mgmt, it is there way or no way your input is not necessary (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good growing experience

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsUpside unlimited
    To a degree you hold power to make as much $$ as you want
    Friendly coworkers

ConsCRM tools are not good enough/not user friendly. Too much time wasted trying to get data AND ORDERS into system
    Too many processes, "death by paper cuts" a colleague referred to it as
    Not enough time spent selling, too may other non-sales things to deal with

Advice to Senior ManagementPurchase an industry standard CRM and forget trying to home grow one
    Streamline the process, entirely too many cooks in the kitchen with regards to people AND systems
    Remove the obstacles and let the agents have more time to sell

Confusing Pay Structure

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsOpportunity to make more money is always available (if there are customers). Training is available for all products. Discounts on in-store purchases and bonus programs via different vendors. Intel has their RetailEdge program which allows the TigerDirect (and other retail employees) the opportunity to purchase CPUs at a good discount every year.

ConsPay structure for Sales Associates. You're 100% commission, so if there are no customers for the entire day, you didn't make any money that day at all. Almost no full-time positions available, so you won't likely get insurance, even though you'll be working 40+ hours. The tags tell the Sales Associates what they're supposed to be paid but is frequently wrong. Between the color of the tags and the letters informing how much profit is gained for the item, the sales team is supposed to be able to figure out their projected income. If they expect to make 9% of the item's retail price but they learn the tag is wrong, it will likely pay out 1% of the retail price.

Advice to Senior ManagementEase up on the demands for your sales team; you don't have enough customers to meet expectations. Fix your tags; I inquired recently about the status of the tag-to-pay system and it still isn't fixed after 5 years. That's just ridiculous. Allow your team members the opportunity to improve the store based on their location. Many times when I worked there, the Florida stores would have the proper store designs to incorporate certain end-caps or product place/cross-merchandising. It failed horribly in many other stores. Also, check with the associates to see what's selling and buy those items. My store would have a need for certain items, usually items with 100-1000% profit (see cables and accessories) but the team responsible for making purchases for the stores never payed any attention to what an individual store needed. We had almost 2000 battery backups and sold maybe 20 per year. Money was wasted on a daily basis.

They dont care

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Clearwater, FL

ProsFriendly environment. I enjoy working here and as long as you work hard your pay check will speak for itself.

ConsYou feel like you are in a cage when mgmt, it is there way or no way your input is not necessary. And sometimes we did get paid days late

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great People, Terrible Management

Wireless Associate (Current Employee) Hoffman Estates, IL

ProsAlmost impossible to get fired, Other employees are great people. Excellent earning opportunities. Flexible Schedule.

ConsUnrealistic expectations, low base pay, terrible hours, condescending management.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare! This isn't a prison, it's a business! Also you have to understand your business and match quotas to sales. You can't rely on how many people enter the building, but how many people are buying.

b2b sales

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosi would not recommend to anyone

Conspay is aweful management is retared

Advice to Senior Managementhave a heart

No chance for advancement

ProsIt's a job and it's better than being unemployed. Those are the only pro's.

ConsVery little training. Managers are paid around 50k a year if that. Not worth it to make a move from sales to management. No chance to grow.

Management Trainee - Retail

ProsThe coworkers are amicable, kind and respectful to one another. Management is not a brooding presence in the retail store, and employees get one hour lunch breaks.

ConsConstantly dealing with customers impatience and attitude. The store suffers from product shrink and petty theft so sales associates and cashiers are very pressured to methodically check every transaction and it better be done right. With several hundred transactions a day, you leave the register soaked in sweat from the stress.

The first week is spent almost entirely staring at a computer screen in a stark, cold office in the store.

The job is not mentally challenging. More endurance and repetition takes place, rather than critical thinking. It is a good entry level job, but I would not want to do this for more than a year. I would rather get paid less to do something more fun.

$30,000 a year starting salary.
    The hours as a management trainee are abysmal. 7am-6pm Mon-Fri.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest to the new entrants. This is a retail store attached to a mall. It ain't glamorous and you will be used like a machine. The Flagler store serves the middle class Latin American community. 90% of the customers will only speak Spanish.

Poor management and employee's turnaround

Tiger Direct Employee (Current Employee) Pembroke Pines, FL

ProsNone, management is not a team player.

You want a successful store; care and be part of your employees, motivation is key to the success of a company.

ConsNo work and life balance.
    Schedules: done weekly received on Saturday's- no planning for family events.
    No motivation for advancement, very sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementMr. Leeds; I would visit this particular store and get to know your employees of the Pembroke Pines store. They work hard and we need more experience upper management to succeed and be the best we can be.They should informed employee schedules bi-weekly to give team members time to plan ahead.

The company policies, training and processes are very poor.

They give part time employees one hour for lunch why not 30 minutes an hour is not logical.

Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ConsAt times traffic flow of customers will be ridiculously slow and there will be times that you will have to assist in other things such as stocking which you don't get paid for as a commissioned sales rep.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would only say to make sure every field in the stores have enough reps rather than have sale reps do jobs they don't get paid for.

Good entry level experience

Account Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsYou get back what you put in.

ConsManagement has a lot of issues to work out. Dealing with corporate out of state got old fast! Mixed bag of colleagues.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees

Worked for TigerDirect? Contribute to the Community!