Tijuana Flats

I loved working here

Server (Current Employee)
Orlando, FL

I have been working at Tijuana Flats part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat vibe, fun environment, always a good time.

ConsNot enough money from tips. Hourly was good though.

Good Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Tijuana Flats

ProsGreat for college students with busy schedules

Conssplit shifts between morning shift and closing shift

Great, easy college job.

I have been working at Tijuana Flats

ProsEasy, flexible, good pay, fun atmosphere

ConsManagement issue, inexperienced, unethical, lazy

great company

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Tijuana Flats full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI have worked here for several years, enjoy the company

Consdoes not pay managers fair market price

Great place

Corporate Trainer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Tijuana Flats full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat pay .lots of hours if your willing to work ,fun atmosphere, good people , I can be myself and not look like a weirdo ! Accepting and understanding !

ConsHiring mangers outside of the company ! They treat the hardworking dependable workers like poop ! There's lots of favoritism ! If you don't go out with the mangers you can say bye bye to moving up in the company! I had a manager just because he didn't like me scheduled me like two shifts a week but then the manager that did like we would schedule me 30 hours a week !

Not bad for a taco place

Line Cook (Former Employee)
North Miami, FL

I worked at Tijuana Flats part-time for less than a year

ProsManagement were very comfortable to work with . They actually cared about their employees.Only stessful day was taco tuesdays but everyone worked as a team. A rewarding job for young people.

ConsNo cons just that the management team should get more along.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet along with other managers

Franchise Owner

Franchise Partner (Former Employee)
Tampa, FL

I worked at Tijuana Flats full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat caring people. High Energy environment. Intense competitive environment. Compassion for employees and unyielding customer service and support. Constant training of employees at all levels. field level employee empowerment

ConsNot open to field influence. Slow to respond to changes in the economic environment

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open to those operating in the field who have ideas for improvement. Create a culture to nurture field innovation

An employer with a personality as unique as you

Altamonte Springs, FL

I have been working at Tijuana Flats full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe culture that is defined within the company is strong and transparent. The company refuses to change or mold to any other expectations. The commitment to personal and professional growth is unparalleled. The support that I have received throughout my career at Tijuana Flats has motivated me to want to be a better professional.

ConsThe company could consider making greener initiatives through the reduction of paper usage and the Styrofoam cups used in the restaurants.

Great place and great co workers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Tijuana Flats

ProsMeet tons of people, promote from within

ConsIrregular schedule, have to work weekends

It's a 50/50 split between good and bad.

Cashier/Trainer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Tijuana Flats part-time for more than a year

Pros- Holidays off, flexible schedule, meals half off, friendly nature, very relaxed atmosphere--you can be yourself, casual uniform.
- I started working here when I moved to FL, so I've became friends with my coworkers/managers and they feel like a family.
- It's easy to get a shift covered, especially in the spring and summer in my area-- we were practically fighting for hours
- Great for college or high school kids wanting extra spending cash, or anyone wanting to only work a few hours per shift.
- They have opportunities to move up, but in reality, it is very hard to obtain for some people. I've had 2 people in my store who have moved up to management.

Cons- Some of the biggest concerns I had with working here is that when you're first hired, you're basically treated as a guinea pig, extra man power doing piddly things like cleaning/stocking instead of actual training. They have trainers that work with you, and if you aren't working with one on a shift, it's not counted as a training shift, so your training gets pushed back. They have a training manual that is supposed to take a week at most to complete, 7 days/shifts. It took me a full month to get out of training, and has been the same with the girls I have since trained in the front of house (FOH); cooks are treated the same way.
- The managers are friendly, but sometimes they become way to personal and I've had instances where my personal life has been brought into my work life from them, for instance, I was teased one night by a manager calling my boyfriend names because he didn't have a job at the time. Not to mention the managers have literally cussed at employees when they've made simple mistakes. There was one instance when a guest actually walked up and told the GM he was being very unprofessional in the way he was talking me during one of the "Heat Talks." Had another guest tell me she "didn't know how we could stand working for them" because she had also overheard management talking to an employee. So embarrassing!!
- There's a lot of favoritism with employees and double standards. They will discipline some for actions while others they turn the other cheek.
- The hours are so sporadic that it's hard to make a decent income here. You can be scheduled for good hours, but it's guaranteed that you will lose a few hours a night, even as a closer because of labor. There were several nights that I was scheduled 5-close but was cut at 8:30. They no longer bribe you with free food or beer to clock out, the new CEO put a stop to that.
- They also do split shifts, so you'll have anywhere from 2-4 hours between your shifts. One day I opened and wasn't scheduled to come back until 6pm, I was cut at 12. Most of my money goes to gas expenses even with a decent amount of gas mileage (I drive a VW Beetle).
- They pool tips, which is very unfair, I've had girls come in and do absolutely nothing, yet they walk away with about $10 of MY money. Which apparently was MY fault because I "wasn't making them do anything," I was, they just wouldn't listen to me, yet managers told me to "just make them" when I asked for help.
-My managers made requesting off kind of a big deal, even if you were asking way in advance, they would make comments like, "well, I guess, but we're probably going to have to hire more people." Seriously? Just for me asking off for 2 weeks so I could spend Christmas with my family out of state?
-There's a saying that goes around the store, "it's not personal, it's just business" but when I tried to quit for another job as a CNA, my GM made me promises such as more hours and eventually moving up to a shift leader just so I would stay. He also made comments like, "I can't believe you could do this to us!" It made me feel very guilty for trying to advance into a career that I actually wanted! Very unprofessional from a company.
- They hire a bunch of young kids, so if you happen to be over 18, expect to get jerked around a lot, it means a little more hours everyday because minors can't work long shifts, but in my opinion they tend to be lazier and will just milk the clock for the tips.
- They brag about company benefits, like health insurance, but it's almost impossible to meet the expectations to get it.
- It's an okay job as a whole, but I've worked in the restaurant industry for a little over 5 years, and this is the only one where I've literally walked away crying at the end of the day and felt stupid and worthless. You definitely need to have thick skin to work here. As soon as the opportunity arises, I'm out, even with them pressuring me to stay.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate is good, they have good ideas and a good basis on how they want their company ran, the problem is with managers in the stores. Some of them work their way up the ladder into management positions when really they shouldn't be there. Promoting from within is great, but that's where you run into problems like managers being good at the paperwork, but very bad people management skills.

Worked for Tijuana Flats? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tijuana Flats reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Tijuana Flats CEO Brad Kaemmer . All 27 reviews posted anonymously by Tijuana Flats employees.