Tijuana Flats Reviews

Updated March 21, 2015
54 reviews filtered by
3.4
Brad Kaemmer

Pros
  • Great vibe, fun environment, always a good time (in 4 reviews)

• Cool Environment, Fun, Laid Back (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • They also do split shifts, so you'll have anywhere from 2-4 hours between your shifts (in 4 reviews)

• Very low pay, just above minumum wage (in 2 reviews)

1. Fun and Fast Paced Environment, Very "Homey" Work Place

Former Employee - Cashier in Weston, FL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Weston, FL

I worked at Tijuana Flats part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Cool and very different environment compared to most jobs. The dress code was very laid back and offers many opportunities for promotion.

Cons

Unorganized scheduling. Didn't get to work many hours and we were mostly over staffed for a large amount of time.

Focus more of hour management for employees, training was excellent, appreciate the non-discriminating attitude to body modifications when choosing applicants.

Mixed Feelings

I have been working at Tijuana Flats (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked for this company for several years, at multiple stores. I will say that they've been great with my schedule while I was going going to school; as long as you give them fair notice they are generally happy to work with you. The working conditions can vary from very easy and laid back to very hectic, but that's how it is to work in a restaurant most of the time. It's hard work sometimes, and other times it's hardly work. I moved for school and was able to transfer without a problem, and managers are more than happy to help you with that sort of thing.

Cons

The biggest Cons I can think of aren't necessarily because of the company, I know corporate is mostly just looking at sales figures, but I will say that managers seem to play favorites. Unfortunately this is a common problem in the service industry in general, but experience and work ethic are often overlooked when promotion is being considered. I've also personally seen FOH girls being hired by male managers simply because of how attractive they are (literally no work experience). It's unprofessional and it causes problems.

Promote from within, you have plenty of talent to work with.
    Listen to your staff. I've had District Managers who wouldn't even talk to me unless it was through my General Manager, this is the wrong attitude, everybody deserves to be heard and talked to face-to-face whenever possible.

A Fools Chipotle

Current Employee - Trainer in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Trainer in Miami, FL

I have been working at Tijuana Flats full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is nice to have 7 Holidays off a year. Food discount makes the food an acceptable value. You can receive the same amount of food from Chipotle for 2-3 dollars less with out employee discount. The fun hipster culture is inviting at first... and then your realize it is just a sweet frosting on a dry stale doughnut, but then again which restaurant is actually what they advertise. If you know how to play the favorites game you can make good stable hours... but you have to be in the top 5-6 employees because that is how many full time employees they are allowed to have by corporate demands.

Cons

You are routinely under paid, overworked, looked down upon and talked down to by management. Managers routinely try to motivate employees with promotions and never follow through on their promises. (Get your offered raises and promotions on paper signed and keep a copy in your file and in your house... they will try to remove it from your file.) You need to be smarter tactically than your superiors... don't worry it is pretty easy.

Management needs to brush up on their business ethics and be more transparent with their employees (honesty is the best policy). Do not preach Core Values and then do something completely the opposite.

5. A gradually worse work experience

I have been working at Tijuana Flats

Pros

Started off as a fun place to work, but that soon faded. Coworkers are pretty nice.

Cons

Work-life balance is impossible if you're working over 30 hours there, considering how they are split into 2 shifts a day. Low pay. Management is racist, sexist, and they play favorites. If you're okay with guests and management walking all over you, this is the job for you. Management wants you to treat guests like family and give them free sides, desserts, etc but every week they complain about food cost. It takes way too long to be promoted from within as well, so if you're looking to move up this company is not for you.

Keep bigoted views out of the workplace, don't undermine employees especially in front of guests when they're just trying to do their job, give raises where they are due.

6. A Peoples' Company

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Tijuana Flats full-time

Pros

This company's focus is people, not just customers, but employees. It's a fun company with a bit of a wild side. It's fast paced and demanding, but the culture is great, as well as the benefits. One is often recognized for hard work (at least in my experience) and if you're dedicated, moving up in the company is not hard. Of course, there are the usual pros of working in a restaurant, like free food. Coming from someone in management.

Cons

This company was started by a man with a great idea, but no experience. Therefore, it has been on a learning curve. That being said, one tends to feel a bit like a cat chasing its own tail. People are meant to be the company's main focus, but the numbers aspect and day to day operations often conflict with this. Also, hours are long; balancing work and life is often difficult. Coming from someone in management.

This company is on the right track. Stay true to your core values and find a better balance btunityetween the 3 areas of opportunity: people, operations, sales/labor.

7. Very fun crew to work with and also a serious one .

Former Employee - Line Cook in North Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Line Cook in North Miami, FL

I worked at Tijuana Flats part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Miguel the GM was an awesome boss and teacher willing to be very flexible and knew his role but wasn't scared to hop on the line and pop out dishes.

Cons

Too fast paced for my taste , others may enjoy it .

Keep doing what your doing

8. Great atmosphere and a great beginning job.

Former Employee - Front of House in Fishers, IN
    Former Employee - Front of House in Fishers, IN

I worked at Tijuana Flats part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The managers at my store were very flexible with hours. One of the best things was that they closed on all holidays so I got to spend the holidays with my family. It was a great summer job. They would let you work on all school breaks too. It was an inviting and laid back atmosphere and I really liked the people I worked with. Hard working, loyal employees do advance fairly quickly into higher roles as trainers or even management.

Cons

The biggest setback for front of house workers is that the tips are pooled. Given the nature of the restaurant, people order at the counter so no one is assigned tables to wait on. Everyone is responsible for everything and all customers. Depending on who was working, sometimes tips were better than others. In the end, you are dependent on others for tip money. I do think this helped create a bond between employees and strengthened team cohesiveness.

Keep doing what you are doing. You run a great restaurant chain.

9. Love my job, and guests... but Management needs work.

Current Employee - Cashier/Server in Pooler, GA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Server in Pooler, GA

I have been working at Tijuana Flats part-time (less than a year)

Pros

-50% Employee Discount
    -Great company
    -Always room to move up
    -Encouraging environment

Cons

-Management tends to be a mess
    -Managers dont communicate
    -Managers can be petty and will want to run the store their way instead of the company standard.

Talk to employees more on their opinions of the managers and what some of the common problems are. Make sure you're getting to know your Managers before promoting them to a GM.

10. Been with company 3 years and watched it go from being a people company, to a money machine. Changed for the worst.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at Tijuana Flats full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

7 holidays off a year plus great health insurance.

Met the most amazing people along the way.

Cons

Long hours, ridiculous expectations, very little help and motivation from area and regional management. Disorganized support center. New policies that do not fit in with established "culture" and "core values"

Get back to your people before it's too late.

11. Nothing great about working here..

Former Employee - Front of House in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Front of House in Clearwater, FL

I worked at Tijuana Flats part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Frindships
    Cool atmosphere..
    Customers usually laid back.
    I really have nothing more to say, this place is ok to work if you have no experience, but I work in a real restaurant now as a hostess making way more money with way less stress.

Cons

Way too much work.
    Front of House v. Back of House mentality - every one blamed each other.
    A lot of gender discrimination.
    Very poor management.

My managers always complained about helping "the girls" out front when things got hectic, but were always happy to help "the men" in the back. Also, a lot of sexist jokes and attitudes amongst the managers and BOF towards the girls up front. Managers would not let girls up front become cooks when they really wanted to. Just seems like fundamental ethics were missing from this place..