Tillster Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.0
Perse Faily

Bordering on a hostile work environment at times

I have been working at Tillster full-time

Pros

Some (a select few) are pleasant to work with. The pay is decent, and the benefits are also decent. It is nice to have snacks provided. In some ways it has a "start-up company" feel to it.

Cons

People will disrespect you just because they don't know your background. Some of them think they are just plain better than you for some reason. I am not sure how it started, but it's been perpetuated over time. Come on, people...we're supposed to be a TEAM! And I thought I finished high school years ago... For an example of some of this attitude, see the review titled “Wounded company hampered by old-fashioned leadership.” And to think that this person gets paid to work there. A real smile-to-your-face-and-stab-you-in-the-back type. I can see saying that you are unhappy with management decisions or something like that, but to talk behind your team mates' backs...bad form! Invite this person to a barbecue and they might show up and spit in your guacamole. Behind your back, of course. Hell, I have seen people who are downright insulting to work with get promoted. So it's not surprising that such a bad attitude is perpetuated. Plus, we have the whole open office thing. I guess that way we have a clear view of potentially duplicitous co-workers.

Advice to Management

Holding onto personnel who are catty isn't going to advance anyone. It will create a workplace that is unpleasant and drag down productivity. Team efforts should be encouraged. And not some exhibition of "team play" where you shoot a few Nerf darts and pretend that everyone likes each other because they're smiling. Again, one can smile and yet be a villain.

It's just ok

I have been working at Tillster full-time

Pros

The pay decent, but went several years without reviews until one within the past year. Healthcare and education reimbursement is nice. The technologies introduced can be a big winner if it was focused on correctly.

Cons

Communication, lack of cross training, flawed career path that leads to no promotion within the company. Their main customer accounts are leaving one by one as the company focuses everything on their next "big" thing which is released early, with lack of documentation and bugs.

Advice to Management

Actually communicate across the company. It has evolved so much the feel of the overall goal is cloudy due to technical constraints and poor account management to prevent additional customer loss

3. support

I have been working at Tillster

Pros

Coworkers are supportive and welcoming.

Cons

Limited duties curb growth and development.

Wounded company hampered by old-fashioned leadership

Current Employee - Engineering in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Tillster full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As you can see from other reviews, employee compensation (a benefit required by law) is offered via "direct deposit". This is apparently the most popular "Pro" employees are able to come up with.

Cons

Soul-crushing open office. Unparalleled management dysfunction. Not a single C-level officer possesses anything beyond a pedestrian understanding of software development or actually managing an engineering organization. No innovation or inventiveness here. Engineers spend most of their time in purgatory shipping the next set of fixes and minor improvements instead of exercising their full talents and creativity. There's a section of the office where relics of the bygone era of telephone support creep around. I swear some of them actually live there. Lackluster benefits.

Advice to Management

I dare you to take advice

Dont walk, but run away. This place will suck your soul away.

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Tillster full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get paid OK, and they have direct deposit and good benis. most of the engineers are good people and work hard.

Cons

The exec team is some of the worst i have seen. This is a very top heavy company with more execs then workers. The idea they have is great, but just doesn't work with how the execs act on it. be prepared to work major hours. it was not uncommon to work over 24hrs in a day. If they tell you that there is a work life balance they are lying. if you like being yelled at, overworked then this place might be good for you

Advice to Management

leave, most of the uppers need to leave and hand it off to people that actually know what they are doing. every good person that has been an upper that has tried to make changes end up leaving shortly as the CEO doesnt care.

Good experience

Former Employee - Installation Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Installation Specialist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Tillster full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very family oriented, fun work place, motivated teams, on the cutting edge of the industry in what they do.

Cons

Poorly organized, bad management, misuse of funds, some managers won't do what is best out of fear

Advice to Management

My manager never told me good job only talk to me when I did something she didn't like. A worrier to the extreme. Many others told me what a good job I was doing but never her. I worked there for 8 yrs in 3 different building, the one they are in now is the best but they don't keep the teams organized to be able to help each other better.

Won't be in business for much longer

I have been working at Tillster full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CRO is a great guy; trying to hold things together; Monday lunch is catered in

Cons

no leadership; fragmented team; no positive energy; everyone thinks company is a joke

Advice to Management

n/a

Worst experience, EVER, don't do it! The positive reviews are nothing but LIES!

Former Employee - QA Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Tillster full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and pay, that is all you get here. The pros do not outweigh the cons, just don't work for this place or you will regret it. You won't last, you will either quit or be fired.

Cons

Executive team, is a HUGE con. Dysfunctional doesn't begin to describe how BAD they really are at managing this business. The most consistent commentary is that workers have NEVER seen anything like it, EVER. You will have to detox after working in that environment, it is beyond toxic.

Advice to Management

Leave the company or sell it if you want to see it succeed. You will never take it to any other level. Culture? Don't bother, it is terrible. The executives are abusive and tear people apart. Try listening to suggestions and actually use them. ZERO workalike balance, it doesn't exist. Get rid of PTO, it isn't used anyway.

I worked at Tillster

Pros

You get paid decently.

Cons

Not for a lack of trying on some of the staff here, but none of the products that are being created are unique, innovative or even that well executed. This is mostly due from leadership that is stuck in the stone-age and their unwillingness to really listen to their staff and a real lack of any real resources, definitive or clear direction. The main problem is leadership has not evolved with the times and they suffer from their own narcissism. Everything is micromanaged within an inch of its life. Not only is the executive leadership bad and frankly just plain odd. The absolute worst thing for anyone as an employee there is middle management (Directors, PMs), who either can’t do their jobs or refuse to do their jobs or a little of both. These people should be doing their best to shield their staff from the horrific bad executive team and keep the teams motivated but they do the opposite. Do not expect your boss to go to bat for you. Absolutely do not expect your boss to try and create a team that fosters thought leadership, comradely and productivity. In fact there is more of a separation and animosity amongst everyone. Every man for themselves is how things function. The sense of smugness is palpable. So what do you do when you need help or information to get your job done? You will hear, either nothing. Literally your boss will not answer your emails or requests to discuss something. Or even worse you'll get a curt response to dismiss you for asking for help, information etc. You’ll also hear things like "That is not part of my job”, or “I don't want to get involved" … an eye ball roll. They must think this management style makes them appear important (?) but mostly it is because they have no clue what they are doing and are trying to cover it up. So a lot of the rudeness can be chalked up to insecurity and being easily threatened(?). To top it all off, there is absolutely no trust from your boss/leadership to get anything done properly. Regardless of a proven professional track record or even a passion and obvious talent to do so. It will not matter at Tillster. Coupled with absolutely no real process or respect to best practices nothing can get accomplished as it should. I could go on but I think the point is made.

Advice to Management

Get consultants to help with reworking the company, but really listen to their advice. Admit you don't know everything and you are failing.

Definite upswing. great time to join

Current Employee - Marketing in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Tillster full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company is on a real roll. Its customers are pushing it to go to new markets and add new products. Big revenue increases have happened since I came. the products are getting bigger and are being used broadly.

Cons

Still some growing pains, but definitely better. When you speak up, company actually listens, but shouldnt have to speak up. There has been turn over, but some of it is good

RSS Feed </> Embed