Tillster Reviews

Updated October 17, 2014
Updated October 17, 2014
1.9

Perse Faily

Definite upswing. great time to join

Current Employee - Marketing in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Tillster full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company is on a real roll. Its customers are pushing it to go to new markets and add new products. Big revenue increases have happened since I came. the products are getting bigger and are being used broadly.

Cons

Still some growing pains, but definitely better. When you speak up, company actually listens, but shouldnt have to speak up. There has been turn over, but some of it is good

So much potential. So little chance of success.

I worked at Tillster full-time

Pros

- great group of employees
    - competitive compensation
    - good market share
    - leader in the QSR/fast casual space
    - lots of opportunity in the market

Cons

- CEO
    - CEO
    - CEO
    - no empowerment from management
    - no trust from management
    - weak corporate culture
    - weak vision/strategic direction

Quit. This company has huge potential which will never be achieved with the current CEO.

Very Poor Leadership

I worked at Tillster full-time

Pros

-Good PTO
    -Reasonable Comp
    -There are a few talented people here truly trying to make a difference

Cons

Leadership, from CEO to mid-management, is awful. It permeates the culture. The leadership makes every day at Tillster (fka EMN8) less and less engaging. They've lost some great employees to opportunities that allow them to better leverage their skills in a less soul-sucking company.

A company with great innovative ideas

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Tillster full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Great group of people to work with everyone works hard
    - Innovative ideas
    - Lots of opportunities to grow the business

Cons

- Poor management
    - No company culture
    - No professional growth
    - No Performance review plan at all

This company can be so successful, it has a great team of developers and talented individuals, but the constant over promising to customers causes an inevitable vicious circle of problems and stress leading to a complete failure to deliver functional and quality solutions. Complete new management is needed urgently

One of the most difficult places to work and poorly managed.

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Tillster (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay and decent benefits. The relationships with people I worked with made a difference in the daily grind. There really aren't any other pros for working at this company.

Cons

Dysfunctional, poor leadership, minimal resources, overworked, and what you give is never enough. Everything is negative, nothing is ever good enough. Poor execution and poor communication. Processes are terrible.

Sell the company or bring in new executive team from the top down and let them run it the way a technology company should be managed.

Poorly Managed, Big Opportunity

I worked at Tillster full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are few pros at EMN8/Tillster but the pay is competitive. The market opportunity that Tillster/EMN8 is going after is quite large and potentially rewarding.

Cons

A work environment that values activity over results. A company where all decisions are made by one person and any input is ignored or worse derided. This environment is very detrimental to anyone's mental health. The turnover rate here seems way above normal and in a job market like San Diego that is saying something, if Tillster/EMN8 had to exist in a competitive job market like Silicon Valley or NYC they wouldn't last a month.

Think long and hard before you bet your career on this company, it is not now nor will it ever go anywhere. Look at the track record, they have been around for 10 years and the results (not activity) but actual results are limited at best. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere.

No need to share advice that will be ignored.

Disorganized and dysfunctional

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Tillster full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is competitive with other tech companies. They have some big contracts that should result in strong recurring revenue for the company for years to come. They have parties once in a while, and provide lots of PTO. Everyone is generally friendly. Nerf wars are almost a daily routine.

Cons

Atmosphere:
    Cynicism and stress. Tillster is in pretty deep.

Most of the LA office is dead weight. The toxic atmosphere from LA emanates into the other offices (no pun intended- tillster used to be called EMN8). Employees who challenge executive decisions risk being yelled at or worse.

Deadlines:
    As a result of always being deadline-driven, Tillster's wounds are self-inflicted. If we could slow down long enough to do things right, maybe not every project would be ladened with technical debt.

Management:
    Executives and sales force seem to have a distorted picture of our solution.

Mid level managers are constantly battling over "resources," because most engineers are either gone or burned out. They also have to fight the endless stream of requirements that seem to flow in from every direction. This can be especially difficult when most of the requests are in conflict with the concept of a scalable product.

Hiring practices:
    Tillster affixes "Pre-IPO startup" to each open job posting, presumably in an effort to attract better talent. After several years, they still haven't gone IPO. Someone also posted some bogus positive reviews here on Glassdoor a while back.

Provide an atmosphere that fosters creativity and quality, not chaos and lies. Grant power to competent leaders. Be honest with your staff. Stop being deadline driven. Come up with a product vision, and then execute and expand upon that vision.

This was a great place, once upon a time

I have been working at Tillster

Pros

This was a really fun place to work. We worked really hard, and had lots of fun. We played nurf in the office, and worked on servers/code/performance constantly. It had a really cool .COM feel, we even had movie posters on the walls. It was really sick in terms of culture.

Cons

We got bought by a really bad company. The senior leadership for Tillster did not take care of our leaders, and now they are all gone. All products are suffering because of it. There just is not any more hope here. In fact, I fight off the urge to quit every day, but just have not gotten up the nerve yet.

I don't have any, and even if I did, you wouldn't listen.

Crazy year of technology and stress and stress and stress

Former Employee - Tech in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Tech in San Diego, CA

I worked at Tillster full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Best reason to work there? Technology, you get to play with some great stuff. The people are great (as long as they are not caught up in the politics). You are able to grow your skill level and really expand your depth of knowledge.

Cons

Challenges? There are plenty, lets start with absolutely no work-life balance.

There are no weekends until you burn out. If you let them they will have you working 7 days a week and 12 hours a day. I was regularly working 16 hour days and consistently being pushed to complete more. I was under utilized for my skill set and experience and in the end was just another engineer doing the day to day grind because they would not staff properly.

Management? more like a drill sergeant barking orders and if you actually have ideas that are contrary that is great - as long as you end up doing it their way anyway. Managers are good but most are to involved in politics and showing off fancy cars and planes.

Support? Peer support is great, the employees band together and help each other where they can, but there is always a deadline pushing long nights and weekends of work to reach a goal set by someone hundreds of miles away who rarely even gets involved to the level they should.

Actually invest in your people - not your deadlines. You could do so much more if you push back on the deadlines and reward your people with solid support. You shouldn't wait for an employee to burn out and basically "call in sick" just to have a day off. When the majority of employees have been there less then 2 years, that should tell you something. The people are good, figure out how to utilize them better before you have to go ask daddy war bucks for even more money to waste.

Low point of my career. Depressing, stressful, and disappointing.

I worked at Tillster full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I guess a positive side effect of working in a place where everyone is so miserable is that you can sometimes bond with people and develop lasting personal friendships, since you need the moral support to make it through the day.

Cons

No direction. No process. No communication. Executive team can be surprisingly mean. I've seen them shame and blame employees for failing to read their minds or spin gold from straw.

Just be honest. Talk to your employees. Trying to paint a rosy picture of "enormous worldwide opportunities and clients who consider us their most valued partner" to the very people working on those projects and dealing with furious, frustrated clients on a daily basis just doesn't work. The reality is in front of our faces. Your people might actually rally together and try to overcome these challenges if leadership would just humble themselves and admit to them. Otherwise, it just comes off as delusional or, at best, out of touch with reality.

Tillster Photos