Tillster Reviews

Perse Faily

1. Good experience

Former Employee - Installation Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Installation Specialist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Tillster full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very family oriented, fun work place, motivated teams, on the cutting edge of the industry in what they do.

Cons

Poorly organized, bad management, misuse of funds, some managers won't do what is best out of fear

My manager never told me good job only talk to me when I did something she didn't like. A worrier to the extreme. Many others told me what a good job I was doing but never her. I worked there for 8 yrs in 3 different building, the one they are in now is the best but they don't keep the teams organized to be able to help each other better.

Won't be in business for much longer

I have been working at Tillster full-time (more than a year)

Pros

CRO is a great guy; trying to hold things together; Monday lunch is catered in

Cons

no leadership; fragmented team; no positive energy; everyone thinks company is a joke

n/a

3. The Perfect Storm

Former Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Tillster full-time (more than a year)

Pros

PRODUCT: The product is incredible. I truly believe in the goals for the product and the company. If the opportunity presented itself to return and push forward for the product, I would be hard pressed to say No. I believe it is going somewhere.

MANAGEMENT: Although there are a ton of negative statements/reviews about management, I found the management to be above standard. Management by default always has an issue or two. They have crazy insane ideas, push for crazy insane deliverables but particularly in a small company trying to grow - they have a plan set forth by a visionary at some point. So although management may "appear" to be insane, they have a vision not everyone has seen.

TECHNOLOGY: The company is not afraid to invest in new technology. They don't mind spending money if you can sell the purpose to the uppers. It does take some effort to push items through, but once they are - the company will spend.

STAFF: I found the staff to be standard small company, start up types. It was a young company with young people at all levels. It is a tough place to stay, so I developed admiration for the staff members who've been there for a long time( 4+ years). Some of the staff may need to move to a different company just so they can see what the real world is like. Tillster is NOT the real world, that is for sure.

Cons

LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION: During my tenure, the company moved. That was the prime time for the company to evaluate the location for this year and the next 5 years. They did not do this. Working in the Devil's Technology Triangle ( 805 and Sorrento Valley ) at a company in which the hours are all but standard - is well - a nightmare. From 3pm - 7pm daily, Sorrento Valley and the 805 is a 2 hour, 3 mile traffic disaster. Tillster management could have scored a ton of points with the staff and QoL by doing a bit of research an locating the company HQ on a different freeway and location. Working a 9 hour day in the Devils Triangle immediately turns into a 14 hour day with traffic.

QoL: QoL Index = 4 out of 10. A company that is pushing employees the way this company does, needs to have a decent Quality of Life index. Things like LOCATION, Flex Days, Fun days, and any other things to increase the Quality of Life for the staff.

COMPENSATION: Compensation was a little low for all the hours and hats a person wears. Improving QoL is just mathematics. If location is poor, increase something else. COMPENSATION or TIME OFF or BONUS'es or.....

IMPROVE QOL: Improving Quality of Life. Have regularly scheduled All Hands on Deck meetings. Schedule these at least every quarter if not more frequent. Discuss the state of the company and use this meeting to bring up all the small wins accomplished over the last X months. Develop some rewards program to benefit the employee. Rewards like an all expense paid trip to Las Vegas for employee and spouse. Tickets to a concert. Tickets to Disneyland, Sea World, Six Flags, etc...

TEAMMATE AWARENESS: Figure out how you as management can make the staff feel more "a part of". Start recognizing them by name. Have a monthly or quarterly contest for making suggestions to the upper management on improving our product. In a company this small, attempt to know everyone's name.

YEARLY STATE OF THE COMPANY: Have an annual State of the Company gathering. Bring all of the outlying team members in to San Diego, have meetings, tour HQ, Events, STATE OF THE COMPANY address, meal, activities. Night on the town. The expense incurred by doing this will be minuscule compared to the value it will add to the company, the team and the cohesiveness of everyone.

Worst experience, EVER, don't do it! The positive reviews are nothing but LIES!

Former Employee - QA Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Tillster full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and pay, that is all you get here. The pros do not outweigh the cons, just don't work for this place or you will regret it. You won't last, you will either quit or be fired.

Cons

Executive team, is a HUGE con. Dysfunctional doesn't begin to describe how BAD they really are at managing this business. The most consistent commentary is that workers have NEVER seen anything like it, EVER. You will have to detox after working in that environment, it is beyond toxic.

Leave the company or sell it if you want to see it succeed. You will never take it to any other level.
    Culture? Don't bother, it is terrible. The executives are abusive and tear people apart. Try listening to suggestions and actually use them.
    ZERO workalike balance, it doesn't exist. Get rid of PTO, it isn't used anyway.

Read the reviews and take heed...

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff

I have been working at Tillster full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As others mentioned, there aren't any pros except getting a paycheck

Cons

THE MANAGEMENT TEAM. They micro manage everything. There is no product roadmap. It's a bunch of one off apps sold into fast food companies in the hope they might get a contract for more than a test. This company sells itself as a tech start-up when it has been in business for more than 10 years, with no profitability in sight. There is nothing revolutionary here, just a company creating one off apps for restaurants, which could be outsourced to an agency or created in house. No IP. No innovative tech. No vision. Finally, you have to be on call 24/7--it's one of those places where if you don't answer email right away, even on vacation, you get in trouble.

Stop micro managing us and let us do our job. Listen. Don't talk just to talk. Focus on creating a product roadmap that can expand and scale. Take one last round of funding and if it doesn't work, call it a day and shut down.

I worked at Tillster

Pros

You get paid decently.

Cons

Not for a lack of trying on some of the staff here, but none of the products that are being created are unique, innovative or even that well executed. This is mostly due from leadership that is stuck in the stone-age and their unwillingness to really listen to their staff and a real lack of any real resources, definitive or clear direction. The main problem is leadership has not evolved with the times and they suffer from their own narcissism. Everything is micromanaged within an inch of its life.

Not only is the executive leadership bad and frankly just plain odd. The absolute worst thing for anyone as an employee there is middle management (Directors, PMs), who either can’t do their jobs or refuse to do their jobs or a little of both. These people should be doing their best to shield their staff from the horrific bad executive team and keep the teams motivated but they do the opposite. Do not expect your boss to go to bat for you. Absolutely do not expect your boss to try and create a team that fosters thought leadership, comradely and productivity. In fact there is more of a separation and animosity amongst everyone. Every man for themselves is how things function. The sense of smugness is palpable.

So what do you do when you need help or information to get your job done? You will hear, either nothing. Literally your boss will not answer your emails or requests to discuss something. Or even worse you'll get a curt response to dismiss you for asking for help, information etc. You’ll also hear things like "That is not part of my job”, or “I don't want to get involved" … an eye ball roll. They must think this management style makes them appear important (?) but mostly it is because they have no clue what they are doing and are trying to cover it up. So a lot of the rudeness can be chalked up to insecurity and being easily threatened(?).

To top it all off, there is absolutely no trust from your boss/leadership to get anything done properly. Regardless of a proven professional track record or even a passion and obvious talent to do so. It will not matter at Tillster. Coupled with absolutely no real process or respect to best practices nothing can get accomplished as it should. I could go on but I think the point is made.

Get consultants to help with reworking the company, but really listen to their advice. Admit you don't know everything and you are failing.

Definite upswing. great time to join

Current Employee - Marketing in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Tillster full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company is on a real roll. Its customers are pushing it to go to new markets and add new products. Big revenue increases have happened since I came. the products are getting bigger and are being used broadly.

Cons

Still some growing pains, but definitely better. When you speak up, company actually listens, but shouldnt have to speak up. There has been turn over, but some of it is good

How can a company be successful without the having right executive management?

I worked at Tillster full-time

Pros

Salary is paid on time
    Decent benefits
    Growing market opportunity

Cons

Simply speaking, the executive management is extremely dysfunctional and incompetent, like nothing I have ever seen in any other company.
    There is no vision, no objectives, no strategy, no processes, no guidelines, nothing!
    It starts with the CEO and other top executives (VPs). They are rich (Venture Capitalists) but totally incompetent at managing the business. However, they believe they are genius, super smart cause they got money, and believe they can overwork and throw any decent employee under the bus cause they own the money. They don't take responsibility for their mistakes and terrible management, but blame it always on the overworked and stressed out employees. They don't know how to run a growing business or even the basics for creating a profitable business. This business will never ever be profitable under the current management. They do not want to. That's clear in their decisions, day to day actions and deals. It goes so against conventional and rational business practices that after 10 years of private funding, it's really incredible they can still get funded. It's just hard to believe. However, good thing they do cause they can pay salaries for many overworked and unmotivated people.
    The unlimited availability of capital without business results and unbelievable support to such poor and deficient executive management, makes me think the board of directors are intentionally blind or in total denial.

Set aside to do your job as a VC (managing investments, not companies) and bring in professional executives that know how to take this company to the next level (creates a company vision, strategy and objectives, grow heathy revenues, manage to profitability, improve employee satisfaction, establish a strong service foundation and a real product platform to serve customers, etc).

The Till is Empty

Current Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Tillster full-time

Pros

Direct deposit of my paycheck is about the only pro I can offer up.

Cons

This isn't a start-up or a mature company, it's a money losing place that just makes one off apps for fast food and fast casual restaurants. There is no proprietary technology and nothing that will make us scale. The exec team are micro managers and have no vision whatsoever. It really don't get why this company keeps getting funding. They should have gone out a long time ago.

You need vision and IP for a company to have value. Right now, it's worthless.

Very Poor Leadership

I worked at Tillster full-time

Pros

-Good PTO
    -Reasonable Comp
    -There are a few talented people here truly trying to make a difference

Cons

Leadership, from CEO to mid-management, is awful. It permeates the culture. The leadership makes every day at Tillster (fka EMN8) less and less engaging. They've lost some great employees to opportunities that allow them to better leverage their skills in a less soul-sucking company.

Tillster Photos