Tilly's Reviews

Updated September 20, 2014
Updated September 20, 2014

Daniel Griesemer

Pros
  • Its a great first job for some in high school or just getting out of college (in 9 reviews)

• Fun environment, coworkers were like family, learned a lot about sales and merchandising (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay was minimum wage which was horrendous for the amount of work that I was required to do (in 5 reviews)

• If there is more than one assistant manager on the team, don't expect the pay to be even and fair (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent first job

I worked at Tilly's

Pros

Great Customer service, fun atmosphere and no dress code

Cons

Constantly have to harass customers

The best job I've ever had

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Tilly's part-time for less than a year

Pros

The atmosphere, schedule flexibility, growth and developmental opportunities, friendly workplace

Cons

Workplace and coworkers are always changing, headset communication is difficult

New headsets, more stably assembled management team

Tilly's has always been a great employer. I have learned a lot about sales, operations and training others.

Current Employee - Lead Sales Associate  in  Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Lead Sales Associate in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Tilly's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Always opportunities for advancement.
    Great selling culture.
    Positive, upbeat environment for both customers and employees.
    Offers awesome products with good value.
    Hours based on performance and therefore there are always great sales associates working peak hours.

Cons

Must be flexible for changing schedules and hours cut due to bracket needs.
    Sometimes too many seasonal associates employed for BTS and Holidays.

Promotions often take a while.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tillys

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Cherry Hill, NJ
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Cherry Hill, NJ

I worked at Tilly's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Overall they cared about advancement opportunities. Although not technologically advanced in certain areas, they continued to integrate better technology every other month.

Cons

They overwork you for what they pay. A lot of underage kids get hired and you have to deal with all the drama, including steady call-outs every other day.

Disappointing. I wanted to work my way up but in the end it was a waist of my time.

Former Employee - Lead Sales  in  Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Sales in Fresno, CA

I worked at Tilly's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

We had an OK discount 20%.40% during certain seasons. And the coworkers were amazing. Many of them I consider family.

The new commission they are incorporating is kinda nice. It's .5% you just need a certain SPH (sells perhour) threshold.

It has a cool vibe. Laid back dress code. Fun when it's not peak.

If you make good sales AND the scheduling manager likes you you get good hours.

Some of the managers are amazing. They are hard workers and respectful to the team. They are the ones who get you through a stressed out peak when all you want to do is walk off the job.

District manager was amazing for the most part. She even came in one Saturday to help run shipment. I have a lot if respect for that.

Cons

First off I want to say that I really did love my job at one point. I believed in the company and had every intent of working my way up as a long term employee.

As a lead a was given a time frame from our DM to have a job as a manager. My time came and then the store manager hired an outside assistant. That's the whole reason I left. I worked my butt off for 3 years. Went through all my management training. Excelled at it an not to mention in the month of August alone I brought in 29k. Then to add to the annoyance, my store manager asked me to help train the new girl who had to learn everything. Again even if it was some one else in our store other then me, doesn't it make most sense to just promote some one who knows the job instead of waist in payroll to train a whole new outside employee?

I would say very little to no employee appriciation. They have a "tillys shout out" used to be called "rtp's" but essentially it's a stupid piece of paper that they use as a reward. Same with employee of the month. They used to give gift cards to the employee of the month but stopped.

They are "competitive" with pay but only when they hire from outside. When you get promoted up they don't offer as much as when recruited in.

Sales stealing from cashiers. There have been many a day when cashiers have taken other employee sales and nothing was done about it. the store manager in fact still kept giving the girl tons of hour based off her sales, when the majority of her sales were other associates.

Please focus on promoting your workers, aswell as better compensation. If you want long term employees treat them better. And more importantly apriciate them. It could do a lot of good to keep your managers in the family.

Store managers need to work more directly with new hires before deciding to keep them. In our store our store manager kept all but 2 of the BTS hires, but she didn't work enough with them. Many of them were and are horrible workers and sellers. And as a result of keeping so many seasonal the good employees. The good sellers ended up getting hours cute to a pathetic amount post peak.

*Smile more.

Two years down the drain

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Tilly's part-time for more than a year

Pros

laid back environment, moderate dress code, strong focus on customer service in store, you learn how to create customer connections and will meet loyal customers. Awesome focus in visual merchandising as well as on the job training, and steady hours during peak season as well as steady hours for workload teams if dedicated (shipment, visuals, transfers, markdowns, etc)

Cons

No values whatsoever. The managers can be completely biased as well as extremely unfair. Some employees get considered "favorites" and in the good graces of management you can expect to have steady and long hours. For those of us that went to school, our manager would get furious when we would have to leave for class, or couldn't come in because we were scheduled during our class time. She never followed our written availability so be sure to take pictures if your manager is this way because I guarantee your documents will "get lost" or someone will claim to "not have seen them." Not a great place to work if you're a single parent, because your childs needs will never be important enough to come before the needs of the business. If you work hard and management notices you may be considered for a promotion, but only as a verbal promise, no actual follow through. You will be required to do more work than what is worth your pay. Terrible floor management as well as short staffed for the location. Minimal coverage on peak days leaving the whole team crippled and causing workload team to shift from shipment responsibilities, to selling time in order to fit the needs of traffic

Providing a better discount, and taking time to get to know your managers personally before you hire them. Listen to the needs of the employess and sales associates as well, because management isn't always honest about what goes on behind the scenes when DM's and regional managers aren't present.

expect a lot for little pay

I worked at Tilly's

Pros

work life balance was great

Cons

horrible pay, expect a lot with little to no recognition

follow through with training

Tillys

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Oceanside, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Oceanside, CA

I have been working at Tilly's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great staff, environment. Great discounts and clothes.

Cons

pressure in up selling. poor management

Horrible

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Tilly's part-time for more than a year

Pros

the music is good. for the most part.

Cons

Horrible managerial staff
    Sales are always stolen by whoever is working the register or they give them to their friends on the floor and managers don't believe you because they play favorites
    Raises are ridiculously bad
    If you get sick once in a blue moon the managers get all huffy and PO'd at you like it's the end of the world and think you're just faking it. Unless you're one of the favorites. Then it's A-OK and they'll just call someone in for you instead of making you go through and call your fellow associates yourself begging them to cover for you.
    Discount sucks

Stop playing favorites.

Great for kids out of high school. Not worth it once you're in college and beyond.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Doral, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Doral, FL

I worked at Tilly's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Depending on manager, your work schedule is very flexible.
    20 % Discount on their cloths (although they are super overpriced)
    Seasonal 40% Discount.
    Friendly atmosphere
    Perfect for high school students.

Cons

Call in policy is terrible
    Cant use discounts on meaningful items ( Levis,watches,etc)
    Managers are very unprofessional and favoritism is at a ridiculous level. ( i speak for the store i worked in located in Doral,Florida)
    No growth opportunities if you start as a sales associate.
    Pay raises are terrible ( 37 cents every 6 months if you are a perfect employee)

Consider your system for hiring managers. They are the image of your company to its customers and employees. Managers should be able to lead and empower you. Some of those managers don't even know where they stand.

Worked for Tilly's? Contribute to the Community!