Tilly's

www.tillys.com

Tilly's Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Daniel Griesemer

Pros
  • Its a great first job for some in high school or just getting out of college(in 9 reviews)

• Fun environment, coworkers were like family, learned a lot about sales and merchandising(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay was minimum wage which was horrendous for the amount of work that I was required to do(in 5 reviews)

• If there is more than one assistant manager on the team, don't expect the pay to be even and fair(in 7 reviews)

Fun job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood first job, great environment and fun team

ConsCommunication could be better from management

Fun

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Bloomington, MN

ProsGreat employees, easy to deal with customers, hard work earns better hours

Consit is a non commission

Love it and hate it

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsAwesome atmosphere. Growing company lots of opportunity to move up I've been promoted twice. You can actually meet and communicate with your DM and DVM, even the RM and RLPM, they know who you are! Our district feels like a family I can call the other stores for help or w.e it is

ConsI know i get paid more than others in my position but it is still not that great for the amount of responsibility I have as an ASM.
    The SM is a moron and has no leadership skills. Management is NOT professional
    Lack of proper training for both associates and management.
    Lower volume stores asked to do the same workload but with less time (and less pay)
    No OT
    Whoever makes the visual updates is an idiot. Product is always very late. They want you to fold chiffon on tables. NO. And don't Photoshop it because you know that table is physically impossible.
    Promotions need to be more clear cut.
    POS is GARBAGE it is SLOW and my cashier's need help because it freezes and other issues
    Raises take too long. Retro takes too long. Get it together.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire professional managers with leadership skills who can train, motivate, inspire and develop!
    Stop the favoritism!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I'm going back

ProsReally great atmosphere, all about internal promotions, really puts your management skills to the test and helps you change them for the better

ConsSometimes can be to micro managed and because the team is so huge the pay for managers can be really low.

Advice to Senior ManagementI will say that this company really cares about your development and can be real stressful at times but it is a growing company and is going to do great things that's why I am choosing to return to the company and really push forward with my growth here as a manager. I might not agree with everything the company dies but I still feel like you guys are doing a great job!

Fun for starters but not long term

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsFun atmosphere loose dress code cute clothes

ConsHigh turn over rate dirt pay for all employees no commission, low discount, doesn't really care about the employees

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds better training and less people, stick to a few good employees that you treat well rather than a ton of employees thar no nothing and no one gets hours

So far my experience is fine.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Palm Desert, CA

ProsThe people I work with are nice. Retail unless it's on a major corporation level is not a career choice for me though. I feel sad for the people who are in their 20's & 30's who work at retail stores making 30,000-40,000k a year. I don't see them as friends like they see each other as too. I think that ties up to what I just said before. I'm grateful for this job/money now but I'm going into my senior year this 2014/15 school year and my 2 shift experience so far has me VERY VERY FOCUSED on my grades this year.

ConsBefore I began I thought the shifts where too short, which they are 4.0-4.5 hour shifts and you get 2 a week. But standing for 4 hours just kills your feet. The first 2 hours are pretty much fine then around your 10 minute break your feet & especially your back begin to ache. This pain last for the last 2 hours of your shift and for a couple hours after work. Shoes without an arch are terrible for your feet/back and I'm tired of dealing with this pain. Good thing I'm just a temporary sales associate for the back to school season. I'm doing well so they might try to keep me so I think I'm going to quit and work at Dks Sporting Goods right next door when I turn 18 this October. I'm going to buy a pair of Dr. Scholl's when I get my first check or whatever in the meantime.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire less. Fire the people who aren't selling as well as people like myself and give the people who sale alot more hours. 4 to 4.5 hr shifts are fine as long as you give out enough of them, like 5 shifts so I can get 20hrs/week and get at least $1000 a month on base pay alone after taxes. Enough of these 8-9hr work weeks.

Met some really cool people, as long as you perform well in sales you will do good in this company.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Davie, FL

ProsBeing a high school senior it was the perfect job for me.
    - Cool style
    - fun work environment
    - meeting and making connections with customers make the shifts go by fast
    - took me to warped tour to do some marketing

Cons- Employees need a larger discount
    - Hire less people so the ones that are actually good at sales get more hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees a slightly larger discount.
    Stop hiring so many people because the ones that actually perform good barely get hours.

Cool place to work but disorganized.

In Store Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) Braintree, MA

ProsPeople that work here are awesome. Great clothing. Great sales strategy.

ConsVery unorganized management structure. I had 3-4 different bosses telling me to do different things on a daily basis, this lead to me having to do many thing twice and three times over.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out management structure.

Good in-store experience, but problematic above the store level

Lead Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsVery easy job in a fun, relaxed atmosphere. Since employees (managers, leads, and associates alike) come and go, there is ample opportunity for promotion within the store if you take the job seriously.

ConsAbove the store level, the company seems run inefficiently. Will not see raises for months (although there is retro pay). District manager demands a lot from in-store employees without appropriate resources or benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to the in-store employees than just numbers.

Great place to start but not stay

Cashier/Sales (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsIts a great first job for some in high school or just getting out of college. The atmosphere is fun and it almost feels like working with a family more then just co-workers. good place to learn the ropes of retail.

ConsDepending which location you work at you can being getting 3 hour shifts. They hire too many people and give only a few hours out, The discount is only as much as the coupons they give out to the customers. Management is always changing and turnover for all associate are high. Its a good place to begin and learn but not grow and stay. I stayed there for almost 2 years and loved it but couldn't take management any longer. Mistreat associates always leave and then management hire three more to replace that one person. they only pay you minimum and you can only get full-time if you join management. Lead sales positons don't even get that great of hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire less people and give more hours to your associates, Treat your associates with care.

Worked for Tilly's? Contribute to the Community!