Tilly's

Tilly's Reviews

Updated January 24, 2015
Updated January 24, 2015

Daniel Griesemer

Pros
  • Fun atmosphere loose dress code cute clothes (in 11 reviews)

• Its a great first job for some in high school or just getting out of college (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • You want to do a ridiculous amount of work for minumum wage (in 5 reviews)

• If there is more than one assistant manager on the team, don't expect the pay to be even and fair (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun staff, not much growth

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Tilly's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

It is really fun to work retail with your peers, but it doesn't open up for much more beyond that.

Cons

Some staff aren't well organized or train, but it is really the growth.

Show clear examples of ways to join corporate.

Wow

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Tilly's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Employees are young and fun. The Store carries cool products.

Cons

For starters you get a terrible discount. They only hire gay guys, so if your a straight male dont bother. Manager shows up hung over 80% of the time. Any question is a dumb question and they will make that clear. They don't respect the sales associates whatsoever. Managment talks to employees and customers like they are retarded. VERY emotional and moody managers . If your not Mr.popular you will get zero hours and zero respect. If your not apart of the party scene you'll be the butt of everyone's joke.

Hiring manager needs to stop being sexist against straight dudes. (I'm a girl fyi)
    Store manger should stop bringjng her 15 boyfriends into work every day and take her job seriously.
    The turnover rate for tillys at Coronado wouldn't be so bad if the managers would focus on keeping employees happy rather than creating a hellish work envirment for them.
    In all seriousness this place is a joke.

Indifferent

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Tilly's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Tilly's is nice environment to work in, fun coworkers, casual dress code, and you get a discount on great merchandise.

Cons

You are most likely to be hired during seasonal months, meaning depending on your performance, you could be looking at short-term employment or low hours. Like any other retail job, you'll be harassed with policies and employee requirements..

Management could have a less intimidating demeanor.

cultish and exhausting. micromanaged to death.

I have been working at Tilly's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

set schedule for visual. paid time off, health insurance, gym discount. base pay is negotiable with experience (if i would have known this i would have asked for more). seasonal 40% discount.

Cons

company CULTure is very insular, undermines individuality and has no regard for diversity, no values. Primarily hire pretty and popular kids based on looks and what they refer to as "branding"....i see these guys going down the same route as abercrombie & fitch or american apparel with their hiring practices. get the lawsuits ready! its creepy when you meet women who are well into middle age acting and dressing like teenagers to uphold this image.

everything is inconsistent. directives, marketing, floor updates are all unclear and confusing when they shouldn't be. all you are doing is looking at a picture and setting what is on it. you rarely ever get to use your merchandising skills and are reprimanded when you make a decision that impacts your business because its not the tilly's way. you are actually told NOT TO BE CREATIVE. There are zero display standards so you will have to put ugly, wrinkled clothes on mannequins according to poorly photoshopped directives that aren't even reflective of your store.

very little room for growth. unless you want to be a store manager. you only get a raise once a year while associates are eligible for it twice. visual merchandisers and visual managers are not eligible for commission or bonuses either even if you make sales.

inefficient and demanding. there are too many "hands in the pot" so to speak, often there are at least 4-5 people who want the same thing executed in different ways so you are constantly doing and redoing, doing and redoing when you don't have the payroll or hours. visual department has no idea what stores even look like or what product you have in it. all the daily routines are so inefficient....they have a bunch of useless checklists and vague guidelines that everyone interprets differently. again, inconsistent and micromanaging. they will literally change things at the last minute to comp or appease stockholders. you are also responsible for everything back of house so half of your time is spent managing freight teams or operations (hire a stock or logistic manager for this!)

my district manager was super stuck up, judgmental and catty. i can't even.

constant teenage drama. most associates are high school or college age with zero experience or responsibility.

and the computer systems? don't get me started. everything is painfully slow and never works. they will run a promotion and can't even get it to ring up on the registers....then your assistant managers will get all pissy that they have to do price overrides or when customers start complaining! huh, that's your job as a manager dude!

if you have any visual or management experience, pass on this. you won't learn anything here and you will just end up frustrated.

VALUES! straightforward communication skills. hire at 18 instead of 16. respect diversity, creative expression. how can you tell your staff to not be creative when you sell brands that embrace "celebrating the difference", individuality and freedom? get regional, district and store level teams on the same page. figure out the role visual is to play in this company. hire stock/logistics managers for high volume stores so visual can focus on doing visuals, not running back of house!

Great

Former Employee - Sales Associate in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Tilly's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

fun, young management, great first job, good hours

Cons

pay, computers could use an update

Decent first job

I worked at Tilly's

Pros

Great Customer service, fun atmosphere and no dress code

Cons

Constantly have to harass customers

Great employees

I have been working at Tilly's

Pros

I love working here love it

Cons

Non Great environment and hard working

Have fun

Tilly's has always been a great employer. I have learned a lot about sales, operations and training others.

Current Employee - Lead Sales Associate in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Lead Sales Associate in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Tilly's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Always opportunities for advancement.
    Great selling culture.
    Positive, upbeat environment for both customers and employees.
    Offers awesome products with good value.
    Hours based on performance and therefore there are always great sales associates working peak hours.

Cons

Must be flexible for changing schedules and hours cut due to bracket needs.
    Sometimes too many seasonal associates employed for BTS and Holidays.

Promotions often take a while.

Overworked , underpaid.

Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in San Diego, CA

I worked at Tilly's full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Decent music , customers were great.

Cons

4am mornings for visuals.
    overworked and underpaid,
    only 20 % discount for employees.

Disappointing. I wanted to work my way up but in the end it was a waist of my time.

Former Employee - Lead Sales in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Sales in Fresno, CA

I worked at Tilly's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

We had an OK discount 20%.40% during certain seasons. And the coworkers were amazing. Many of them I consider family.

The new commission they are incorporating is kinda nice. It's .5% you just need a certain SPH (sells perhour) threshold.

It has a cool vibe. Laid back dress code. Fun when it's not peak.

If you make good sales AND the scheduling manager likes you you get good hours.

Some of the managers are amazing. They are hard workers and respectful to the team. They are the ones who get you through a stressed out peak when all you want to do is walk off the job.

District manager was amazing for the most part. She even came in one Saturday to help run shipment. I have a lot if respect for that.

Cons

First off I want to say that I really did love my job at one point. I believed in the company and had every intent of working my way up as a long term employee.

As a lead a was given a time frame from our DM to have a job as a manager. My time came and then the store manager hired an outside assistant. That's the whole reason I left. I worked my butt off for 3 years. Went through all my management training. Excelled at it an not to mention in the month of August alone I brought in 29k. Then to add to the annoyance, my store manager asked me to help train the new girl who had to learn everything. Again even if it was some one else in our store other then me, doesn't it make most sense to just promote some one who knows the job instead of waist in payroll to train a whole new outside employee?

I would say very little to no employee appriciation. They have a "tillys shout out" used to be called "rtp's" but essentially it's a stupid piece of paper that they use as a reward. Same with employee of the month. They used to give gift cards to the employee of the month but stopped.

They are "competitive" with pay but only when they hire from outside. When you get promoted up they don't offer as much as when recruited in.

Sales stealing from cashiers. There have been many a day when cashiers have taken other employee sales and nothing was done about it. the store manager in fact still kept giving the girl tons of hour based off her sales, when the majority of her sales were other associates.

Please focus on promoting your workers, aswell as better compensation. If you want long term employees treat them better. And more importantly apriciate them. It could do a lot of good to keep your managers in the family.

Store managers need to work more directly with new hires before deciding to keep them. In our store our store manager kept all but 2 of the BTS hires, but she didn't work enough with them. Many of them were and are horrible workers and sellers. And as a result of keeping so many seasonal the good employees. The good sellers ended up getting hours cute to a pathetic amount post peak.

*Smile more.