Tilt.com Reviews

Great Company in an Exciting Problem Space

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Tilt.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As an engineer, you work closely with business people - it's a small company so you're always working on things that are really core to the product. There is a pressure to deliver results but the product teams have begun to stress aspects like quality and simplicity. This dynamic creates a positive work environment - you're always working on something important, but shipping matters. You won't be working on projects that don't see the light of day - you'll be delivering code to our core users that really impacts their interaction with the product.

For their web products, Tilt uses a CI/CD model for deployment which allows developers to quickly deploy their code to production. As a member of a customer-facing team it's really gratifying to develop a feature in the morning and see it live on the site in the afternoon.

The engineering team is still small enough that as a member of the team you have a lot of choice in how to get your job done - you aren't locked into one set of ideas or frameworks and new members have the freedom to introduce new tools and practices (assuming they can convince their respective team of course).

The company finally has a 401k program (added recently)

Cons

Tilt was originally built on a Perl tech stack. While I don't expect this to always be the case, the Perl community doesn't have the breadth of other communities like Python or Java. If you're a newer engineer you probably won't notice this as much but as an experienced engineer it's frustrating to sometimes have to reinvent the wheel in order to install something that's an off-the-shelf solution in other languages.

The engineering team is pretty young - there are a lot of people who are just building something at this scale for the first time. If you're a young engineer expect to grow a lot in what you learn - if you're an experienced engineer expect to grow a lot in your mentoring/coaching/project management. I expect this to change as the company continues to grow - the opportunities in the crowdfunding space should provide plenty of technical challenges.

Advice to Management

Continue to maintain a high bar for new hires and continue to ensure that teams have the right people on them. Work to build a solid candidate selection process for evaluating new hires. Building a great team is mostly making sure that the right peopel are on board and we can't get to the point where we are just hiring bodies!

One of the best companies I've worked for

I have been working at Tilt.com full-time

Pros

Great pay and benefits
    Smart coworkers
    Cool product
    Huge impact
    Sweet office

Cons

High pressure
    Less autonomy
    Political teams sometimes

Advice to Management

Be honest about people who leave or are let go

An enthusiastic, hardworking team building a product for collective action

Current Employee - Growth in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Growth in New York, NY

I have been working at Tilt.com part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've seen a lot of early-stage startups (having worked at several), and Tilt has one of the best company/office cultures I've ever experienced. This is clear in meeting the team members, who are all genuinely nice, helpful, smart, and outgoing people. If the most important part of a job is the people you work with, Tilt scores very highly in that regard: everyone is down to earth, yet has some impressive knowledge/experience under their belt. It's a company where people genuinely enjoy going into the office every day and seeing each other -- hanging out outside of work is very prevalent too.

Another area in which Tilt scores highly is the product and mission of the company. I think it's rare to get the chance to work on an online tool that is actually used to make people's lives better (or plan better parties), as none of my previous jobs were anything like that. But Tilt has this in spades: every single day there's a new story about someone doing something amazing on the platform. If you care about having a real societal mission to the work you do, and that being a motivating factor for working hard, Tilt is a great place to be. The CEO and managers operate with this mindset as well: they are clearly inspired by the stories that Tilt is helping make happen, and the culture is mission-driven.

The leadership has been very supportive of my personal growth goals as well. Personal reasons behind changing up my schedule and working remotely were completely understood and supported by the organization. Because of this transparent, supportive leadership, I've personally recommended several friends to join Tilt who have ended up joining.

Feedback and honest conversations about the product, team changes, and company finances/etc are frequently had right out in the open. The founders and managers do something called "Keg Thursday" where they sit down and have an optional open hours, where absolutely any question can be asked anonymously. They've answered some really tough questions to the best of their ability publicly, to a degree I haven't seen at any other companies.

Cons

With startups at this stage, the company's success is never a sure thing. Tilt has a lot going for it: a loved product that is growing fast, excellent investors/advisors, an great team as mentioned above. But the crowdfunding space is competitive, and it's early days for the company.

Tilt has a fast-paced and hardworking environment, and things can change quickly: team changes, product changes, etc. This is all par for the course with a startup, but important to think about that and see if it's right for you.

Advice to Management

Continue keeping the bar as high as possible for new hires. The most special part about working at Tilt isn't the general startup perks, it's the people. Also, keep soliciting feedback and keep things transparent.

Rapidly growing product + a truly committed team

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Tilt.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very objectively, Tilt is the best place I've ever worked.

On the people: my peers, managers, and the founders consistently blow my expectations out of the water. I've built close, personal friendships with many of my co-workers. It's the kind of office where everyone says hello or high fives when they pass by each other and genuinely mean it.

On the product: rapid growth, rapid iteration, and the founders / product managers understand two things very well: simplicity in design and allowing engineers to take the time to architect scaleable apps / improve legacy code.

On engineering: truly a top-notch team from top to bottom. The VP of engineering is one of the most respected people in the company alongside the founders. Strong security culture.

Other items of note:

Lots of transparency -- no questions are off-limits. "How did the last board meeting go?" and "What's the latest on burn rate / cash in bank" are common questions posed and answered at bi-weekly town hall meetings.

Unlimited vacation policy with a minimum number of required days off each year -- there are no excuses made for not taking time to chill outside of the office (pairs well with the round trip plane ticket to anywhere in the world given on your one year anniversary).

Operations staff and office managers are truly top-notch and constantly improving upon things that I didn't even know could be improved. Perks like massages in the office are nice, but I'm constantly surprised by even more substantial things like no-cost upgrades to our base medical, vision, and dental plans that I've never experienced at any other company.

Cons

The pace of growth at the company and high energy levels of employees make it difficult for those who want to work strict 9-5 hours to fit it with the broader, high-achieving, "do whatever it takes" team.

Stressful, political, and deceiving

I worked at Tilt.com

Pros

~Great office and catered food
    ~Amazing investors
    - Fun social gatherings
    ~Job starts off great for the first few months

Cons

~Working at Tilt was the most stressful time of my life. Every few weeks colleagues were let go, making the feeling worse and worse. We never hear why someone was let go. Management ignores the conversation, pretends like nothing has happened, and do not discuss any reasons why. We eventually find out a coworker is gone by gossiping.
    ~C-level Management is extremely manipulative and likes to make peppy speeches about how fast the company is growing when they are still trailing behind as the 4th or 5th app in the space. You don't truly know what to believe. Impossible to trust these guys when they hype the role & company when they interview you and you'll soon notice they fire people ruthlessly and quickly. Management does not honestly talk about why someone was terminated. Churn and burn!
    ~I'm resentful and regretful that I left my previous high-paying job for this job. If I knew what the culture was truly like and how poorly you regarded people, I would have never joined. Be honest!

Advice to Management

Treat people much much better. You hurt people. We're people, not numbers or a mere means to achieving your numbers. It would make sense to give written feedback to employees and a REAL and genuine opportunity to work on developmental areas.

Very dedicated team, compelling product stategy

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Tilt.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Passionate team (you see this right when you meet them)
    -Good office vibe
    -Fun people
    -Fast growing product that impacts people
    -Free meals

Cons

-The team and leaders, many of which are first-timers in their roles, are going to have rookie mistakes. When I left, they still hadn't hired an HR manager, which is a must for a fast growing company.
    -The compensation is good but not great. I was making more at my previous job, but that is to be expected at an early stage startup.
    -This is kind of a con and kind of a pro, but people work their butts off late into the evening. I would regularly see others in the office or in chat until midnight. At my current startup, people leave at 5-6, so there are trade-offs, but work-life balance is really important to win in the longterm.
    -Not the best cross-team communication on what's going on in current sprints, what's coming up in the roadmap, or when a team member has been let go for whatever reason.

Advice to Management

Enjoy the ride guys. Keep learning from mistakes and aiming big. Focus on one thing above all others: the people!

Shady Management and Leadership, Lies and Deceit, Negative Culture

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Tilt.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's free food and the startup is funded by top investors. The crowdfunding industry is fast-growing and interesting. Talented people are around you working their tails off.

Cons

When you read most of the reviews on Glassdoor for Tilt, take notice that most of the positive reviews are from current employees and not from former employees. I wouldn't recommend joining Tilt to any of my friends after what I observed there.

Behind the idealistic mottos about altruism painted on the headquarter's walls, the startup motivates people by creating fear among their employees. Tilt has suddenly fired and laid off more than a dozen of talented staff members in the last few months. They fire without good reason when the truth is that they are not growing fast enough and the CEO is hiding it. When you're doing a good job, they'll find ways not to give you shares that you earned and terminate you when you least expect it. Those who have been fired recently were there 1-3 years too. No loyalty towards employees. Tilt is great at over-selling candidates and saying anything into getting you to join, but don't risk your career. If you're already in a stable place, do not join Tilt.

They're having the toughest time hiring developers.

Advice to Management

Stop duping people into working for your company when your intentions are to take advantage of new hires and suddenly dump them at a moment's notice.

Fast-paced learning environment, freedom to innovate, and a super-smart, nice team

I have been working at Tilt.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best thing about Tilt is the staff. Senior management strictly enforces a "No A-Holes" rule and it shows: more than any place I've worked, I look forward to interacting with coworkers on a daily basis. Everyone's smart, cares about their work, generally takes criticism well, and is overall fun to work with. They feel like a real "team".

As an engineer, I have freedom to work across departments and to find projects that interest me. On a weekly basis I'll work with the growth team, marketing, sysops, other engineers, customer support - pretty much every department. I've been mentored by more experienced developers, and after the "new-guy-on-the-block" growing pains/learning curve I feel like my opinions and effort are respected, considered, and acted upon.

Work/life balance is pretty well-respected, with ample opportunity to work remotely and to take time off when needed.

And of course, the office is really sweet - it's exactly what you expect from a modern tech company office. Catered lunches/dinners, ample snacks, great equipment, etc.

Cons

Compensation is good but not top-of-the-industry. If you have friends who work at Netflix, you may occasionally feel pangs of jealousy, but you'll also have free time and won't be going bald from stress.

The company structure is flat and getting flatter, and overall Tilt is pretty small, so advancing title-wise seems unlikely. (Although it does happen.)

Advice to Management

Be more positive! Happy minds are more creative and productive, and bring out the best in others. It takes trust, but every team at Tilt has individuals and leaders capable of preventing the abuse of that trust.

Experienced Developer Still Learning at Rapid Pace

Current Employee - Front-End Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Front-End Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Tilt.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I came in with lots of industry experience yet I am still walking home every day amazed that I am still learning so much. This is a tremendously smart crew and working here is both humbling and invigorating.

The young component of the company is something every experienced developer should seek out. I love the size and dynamic we have that we're sure to grow even faster in the year to come. Leadership is pushing us in all the best directions, both for the individual's personal and intellectual growth as well as the business' long-term success.

Leadership is outstanding and encourages us to not be afraid of failure.

Cons

We work hard and push boundaries. You have to be willing to live at the edge of your comfort zone sometimes. For me, that means picking up new skills and sharpening existing ones. We do this by moving fast and not being 100% ready for the excitement but I think this adds to the fun of being around an amazing team.

Advice to Management

It is better to lead from behind and to put others in front, especially when you celebrate victory when nice things occur. You take the front line when there is danger. Then people will appreciate your leadership. —Nelson Mandela

It's all about the team

I have been working at Tilt.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are fun and funny, crazy and dedicated and intelligent. The teams are small, so everyone has the opportunity and the obligation to make an outsized product impact. Lots of agency and decision-making power throughout the team. All of the standard SF startup perks: food, "unlimited" vacation, happy hours and activities, etc. The hiring standards are really, really high, but not in the traditional respect. Lots of college dropouts, or people who went to non-Ivys, but everyone is extremely driven, community-focused, and great at their job; those that don't get left behind quickly (yes, that's a pro). Company is growing very quickly and promoting from within (current engineering team leads were all either first members of their team or promoted from within). Very strong engineering org in general. Despite healthy funding, founders are still 2 of 3 board members. Lots of transparency re: growth, runway, targets, 12-month and beyond roadmap.

Cons

Lofty goals in a competitive vertical. That means working "startup" hours on a pretty regular basis. To me that's part of the deal and part of the reason why I like working here: to push myself harder than I would have in a more well-established company, but I know that's a con to a lot of people. When you need a break or are feeling worn down, you'll need to stand up and make yourself heard. It's a well-funded growth-stage startup, and stereotypes tend to be stereotypes for a reason.