Tilt.com

CEO

Experienced Developer Still Learning at Rapid Pace

Current Employee - Front-End Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Front-End Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Tilt.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I came in with lots of industry experience yet I am still walking home every day amazed that I am still learning so much. This is a tremendously smart crew and working here is both humbling and invigorating.

The young component of the company is something every experienced developer should seek out. I love the size and dynamic we have that we're sure to grow even faster in the year to come. Leadership is pushing us in all the best directions, both for the individual's personal and intellectual growth as well as the business' long-term success.

Leadership is outstanding and encourages us to not be afraid of failure.

Cons

We work hard and push boundaries. You have to be willing to live at the edge of your comfort zone sometimes. For me, that means picking up new skills and sharpening existing ones. We do this by moving fast and not being 100% ready for the excitement but I think this adds to the fun of being around an amazing team.

It is better to lead from behind and to put others in front, especially when you celebrate victory when nice things occur. You take the front line when there is danger. Then people will appreciate your leadership. —Nelson Mandela

Shady Management and Leadership, Lies and Deceit, Negative Culture

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Tilt.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There's free food and the startup is funded by top investors. The crowdfunding industry is fast-growing and interesting. Talented people are around you working their tails off.

Cons

When you read most of the reviews on Glassdoor for Tilt, take notice that most of the positive reviews are from current employees and not from former employees. I wouldn't recommend joining Tilt to any of my friends after what I observed there.

Behind the idealistic mottos about altruism painted on the headquarter's walls, the startup motivates people by creating fear among their employees. Tilt has suddenly fired and laid off more than a dozen of talented staff members in the last few months. They fire without good reason when the truth is that they are not growing fast enough and the CEO is hiding it. When you're doing a good job, they'll find ways not to give you shares that you earned and terminate you when you least expect it. Those who have been fired recently were there 1-3 years too. No loyalty towards employees. Tilt is great at over-selling candidates and saying anything into getting you to join, but don't risk your career. If you're already in a stable place, do not join Tilt.

They're having the toughest time hiring developers.

Stop duping people into working for your company when your intentions are to take advantage of new hires and suddenly dump them at a moment's notice.

Tilt.com Response

Dec 15, 2014CEO

Employee departures at any company are always painful, especially involuntary ones. Our ability to succeed as a lean and fast-growing startup depends on outstanding execution. This means we have to ... More

Fast-paced learning environment, freedom to innovate, and a super-smart, nice team

I have been working at Tilt.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best thing about Tilt is the staff. Senior management strictly enforces a "No A-Holes" rule and it shows: more than any place I've worked, I look forward to interacting with coworkers on a daily basis. Everyone's smart, cares about their work, generally takes criticism well, and is overall fun to work with. They feel like a real "team".

As an engineer, I have freedom to work across departments and to find projects that interest me. On a weekly basis I'll work with the growth team, marketing, sysops, other engineers, customer support - pretty much every department. I've been mentored by more experienced developers, and after the "new-guy-on-the-block" growing pains/learning curve I feel like my opinions and effort are respected, considered, and acted upon.

Work/life balance is pretty well-respected, with ample opportunity to work remotely and to take time off when needed.

And of course, the office is really sweet - it's exactly what you expect from a modern tech company office. Catered lunches/dinners, ample snacks, great equipment, etc.

Cons

Compensation is good but not top-of-the-industry. If you have friends who work at Netflix, you may occasionally feel pangs of jealousy, but you'll also have free time and won't be going bald from stress.

The company structure is flat and getting flatter, and overall Tilt is pretty small, so advancing title-wise seems unlikely. (Although it does happen.)

Be more positive! Happy minds are more creative and productive, and bring out the best in others. It takes trust, but every team at Tilt has individuals and leaders capable of preventing the abuse of that trust.

Surround yourself with the best and great things will happen.

I have been working at Tilt.com full-time

Pros

Company lunch and dinner, awesome office, and great co-workers. If you want to work beside some of the best people I've ever encountered, look no further. Tilt is all about executing and getting things done. Work hard, get stuff done, then take a break. Repeat.

Cons

Fairly competitive environment might not work for everyone but seems to be working well so far as I can tell!

Keep doing what you're doing. Stay open and transparent (good job so far).

It's all about the team

I have been working at Tilt.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people are fun and funny, crazy and dedicated and intelligent. The teams are small, so everyone has the opportunity and the obligation to make an outsized product impact. Lots of agency and decision-making power throughout the team. All of the standard SF startup perks: food, "unlimited" vacation, happy hours and activities, etc. The hiring standards are really, really high, but not in the traditional respect. Lots of college dropouts, or people who went to non-Ivys, but everyone is extremely driven, community-focused, and great at their job; those that don't get left behind quickly (yes, that's a pro). Company is growing very quickly and promoting from within (current engineering team leads were all either first members of their team or promoted from within). Very strong engineering org in general. Despite healthy funding, founders are still 2 of 3 board members. Lots of transparency re: growth, runway, targets, 12-month and beyond roadmap.

Cons

Lofty goals in a competitive vertical. That means working "startup" hours on a pretty regular basis. To me that's part of the deal and part of the reason why I like working here: to push myself harder than I would have in a more well-established company, but I know that's a con to a lot of people. When you need a break or are feeling worn down, you'll need to stand up and make yourself heard. It's a well-funded growth-stage startup, and stereotypes tend to be stereotypes for a reason.

Amazing and Inspirational Place to Work

Current Employee - Head to Talent in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Head to Talent in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Tilt.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Team members are encouraged to challenge themselves and to raise the bar in everything they do. Leadership makes employees feel like they have a stake in the company's success and we celebrate wins in meaningful ways. The company has amazing perks/benefits including catered lunch/dinner, Tilt Parties, Anniversary Gifts, Gym Stipend etc.

Cons

At times, you may feel as though there should be a little more structure. This is due to moving super fast.

Keep hiring amazing people that share their vision

Building amazing things with people I truly enjoy working with

Current Employee - Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Tilt.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The most meaningful job I've ever had with the compensation and perks to match. Extremely competitive pay, catered lunch and dinner, bi-monthly happy hours, and monthly team outings (go karts, rock climbing, etc.). Merit-based promotions come often and many executive roles (VP of Technology, COO, etc.) have been filled from within. There's also opportunity for lateral movement in roles: eg: designer -> PM, engineer -> PM, etc.

Cons

There are some times when a great opportunity pops up and needs to be jumped on outside of normal working hours. The general culture of the company is to get it done, but it might not be right for those aiming for a 9-5 role.

Amazing team and world-changing product

Current Employee - Growth Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Growth Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Tilt.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working at Tilt is the best! It's truly amazing to come to a job everyday where I have the opportunity to work with a brilliant team on a world-changing product. I feel blessed to work on a product that my friends and family use everyday to make their lives better and more memorable. There's a infinite career growth and I feel like my manager cares about what I want to work on and how I want to improve. Lastly, I love that we have awesome startup perks (gym subsidy, ping pong table, video games, open bar, free lunch and dinner, snacks, etc) and a solid health plan.

Cons

None so far. If you do your work and the results are solid, you're all good.

Keep up the great work. :)

Hyper Growth Startup

I have been working at Tilt.com

Pros

- The culture really embodies the mission of the company - to make amazing things happen. Everyone is super unique, driven and is playing a crucial role in growing the business
    - Flexible work schedule and org structure - you work on what you feel like is going to create the biggest impact
    - Great investors and advisors

Cons

- You get what you sign up for in any startup (could be a plus to some people) : uncertainty of the future, shifting priorities, no formalized review process.

Amazing team and product!

Current Employee - Customer Love in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Love in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Tilt.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The team at Crowdtilt is comprised of incredibly intelligent, dedicated, creative and friendly people. I've learned a ton in a relatively short time and love working with such a cool product that helps people make amazing things happen. I feel like my ideas are heard and that my opinion truly matters. Great environment overall.

Cons

Get ready to work hard, but it's worth every minute.