Tim Hortons

Tim Hortons Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Tim Hortons Chairman and Interim CEO Paul D. House

Paul D. House

Pros:
  • "Flexible hours, learning new skills, working with a diverse team"
    in 28 reviews
  • "Good job to learn how to urea a customer and help develop customer service skills"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "I got paid minimum wage for doing a lot of cleaning and dealing with customer complaints daily"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Long hours, Early hours, Stressful"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Its a job good starter

I have been working at Tim Hortons

ProsDecent hours, manageable work, not hard

ConsDealing with huge rushes in the morning

The American version is not so sweet.

Store Front/Cashier (Former Employee)
Lambertville, MI

I worked at Tim Hortons part-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexible part-time hours in respect to personal life

ConsLow wage
Poor management
Poor work environment

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen promoting employees to management positions please understand the qualities that it takes to manage a group of employees. The only benefits I received from this job was that I know how NOT to manage and treat employees. As far as my advice to the corporate headquarters would be I would highly recommend that they take a closer look at the individuals who own franchises and represent the Tim Hortons brand. Not only were my low, middle, and higher managers simply terrible but I've met numerous franchise owners who were just as bad if not worse. Please understand that these franchise owners represent you as a company and please take steps in correcting the actions of these poor business owners.

A satisfactory experience, but it would definitely depend what store you work at.

I have been working at Tim Hortons full-time for more than a year

ProsGood hours
Working with people as a team (as long as your coworkers are kind)

Cons-In the least racist way: LOTS of asian people speaking in their native languages in the workplace (management included)
-Majority female workplace= lots of drama (I wish this wasn't true)
-Constantly being criticized, and never appreciated for work well done

I would not recommend working at Tim Hortons.

OK place to work

Supervisor (Former Employee)
Norwich, CT

I worked at Tim Hortons part-time for more than a year

ProsThe location I worked at had a great environment. Most employees had a very positive attitude and management was fair to all.

ConsThe pay was not great, but that is to be expected in this line of work. I was moved to supervisor and was barely making more than the people I was supervising.

Advice to Senior ManagementWell, they were obviously doing something wrong because there are almost none left in CT.

Sad Cashier

Cashier (Current Employee)
Sterling Heights, MI

I have been working at Tim Hortons part-time for less than a year

ProsCoworkers were very friendly and nice

ConsManagement was horrible. They didn't care about part-time employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe nice.

Monotonous, most of the time, and zero incentive to work any harder than your hourly wage justifies.

Supervisor (Former Employee)
Erie, PA

I worked at Tim Hortons full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou'll work in close-quarters proximity, which can be both good and bad--good in the sense that you'll really get to know your coworkers. Also, you'll develop friendships with regular customers. The food is pretty good, especially compared with other fast-food alternatives, and as an employee (depending on your store) you'll get a discount on food, and free coffee while you're on the clock. Store-to-store working relationships will vary, as the stores are franchise-owned.

ConsYou will tire of rubbing elbows with the same people. If you don't get along with a coworker, it's impossible to get away, and even more impossible to not work as a team without antagonizing the relationship further. Once you're on the clock, the close-quarters environment forces you to put the drama away for the sake of the job.

The work gets horribly monotonous, but that's the case with any procedure-based work. There is plenty enough food to mix the work up, but only for a few months, until you've mastered putting together every possible order. The drinks, for example: grab a cup, put the sugar in, put the cream in, pour the coffee, stir, lid, hand to the customer. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Seeing the same customers ordering the same orders, hearing the same voices through the drive-though speakers, listening to the same phrases uttered by the same coworkers--all while the oven beeper rings, the iced cappuccino low-mix-level beeps, the meat warmers beep; it's enough to drive some people just a little crazy. Take it from me!

Oh, and there's little-to-no room for self expression: you wear the same uniform as everyone else (unless you're a manager or a supervisor--both of which have their own designated uniform), you must be clean-shaven, you cannot wear earrings (at least my store didn't allow it--said they can fall into food), you cannot have tattoos visible (pretty much a societal custom, anyway, but still). After you've followed all the formal regulations regarding uniform and appearance, there is little in terms of visual appearance separating you from your coworkers

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize that your underlings are, in fact, human, and make mistakes from time to time. Here's an additional tip for said recognition: try running a drive thru by yourself for a half hour and see if you can keep straight everyone's orders, maintain your coffee and food station, keep the registers in order without error. When you realize it's humanly impossible, go ahead an apologize to your crew for losing so much perspective.

manager

Manager (Current Employee)
Markham, IL

I have been working at Tim Hortons full-time for more than 8 years

ProsOverall good company to work for.

ConsLong hours but time goes fast.

Advice to Senior Managementstay open minded.

Give it a two years

Store Front/Cashier (Former Employee)

I worked at Tim Hortons part-time for more than 3 years

ProsPaid weekly
6 month raises
Easier job
Good way to get first job experience
Flexible work schedule
Can make some solid friends
Customer service expirence

ConsHigh school Drama
Anyone can become a supervisor
If you make the management aggitated they will change your hours, or not respect you
Management can take time to do raises or adjust your schedule

Advice to Senior ManagementAll the team members work harder than it may seem. Don't abuse your position, in full honesty you serve donuts and coffee, how seriously does it really need to be taken? Put more effort into deciding who supervises.

good working environment

Employee (Current Employee)
Richmond, CA

I have been working at Tim Hortons full-time for more than a year

Proslearn new skills, good benefits, free lunch, safe, meet new people

Constiring, hard work, no team work,

Tim Hortons review

Store Front/Cashier (Current Employee)
Lockport, NY

I have been working at Tim Hortons part-time for less than a year

ProsFlexible hours, friendly staff, not hard to learn the skills needed

Consnot the highest paying job out there

Worked for Tim Hortons? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tim Hortons reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Tim Hortons CEO Paul D. House. All 279 reviews posted anonymously by Tim Hortons employees.