Tim Hortons Reviews

Updated October 17, 2014
3.2

Tim Hortons Chairman and Interim CEO Paul D. House
Paul D. House

Pros
  • Flexible hours, learning new skills, working with a diverse team (in 35 reviews)

• Good job to learn how to urea a customer and help develop customer service skills (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • When you are hired, the starting salary is minimum wage and the raises are at (in 20 reviews)

• Need lots of patience to handle rude customers (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Current Employee

Current Employee - Team Member in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Team Member in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Tim Hortons part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's a good place to have your first job, its not too demanding and the people that work there are wonderful. Their first priority is the customer no matter what. They will do anything to make the company happy. It's an easy to learn job. Scheduling is very flexible, and they are very good with giving you time off.

Cons

It can get stressful, mainly during the morning shift. This is when it becomes difficult because (at least at my location) my managers are so concerned with the drive-thru times, they lack in hospitality. It is also difficult for the rest of the employees when our managers are constantly yelling about the time, I think it makes us less efficient.

I think they need to worry more about the needs of the employees and how they are treated. Customers are important but without your employees you can't serve the customers.

Great place to start working. Friendly environment

I worked at Tim Hortons

Pros

Very fast pace makes the day go faster. Meeting new people every day. Lots of friendly people. Great training as well

Cons

The wages are not that great but that's to be expected it is a fast food restaurant. It can get very heated sometimes with the ruSh of customer

Great start for someone looking to start.

Current Employee - Team Member in East Aurora, NY
    Current Employee - Team Member in East Aurora, NY

I have been working at Tim Hortons part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast paced environment means you're never bored on the job, which is definitely something I liked. Different rotating positions each time you come in with a constantly evolving environment. No grease as apposed to many fast food locations. Great customer service opportunities, while challenging sometimes.

Cons

Draining for 8 hour morning shifts. Rude customers often tear you down a bit, but because of the expectations of the company, you just need to take a chip off your shoulder. Sometimes they are more interested in profits than people.

Put more workers on and treat your people better. More benefits and mandatory yearly reviews with potential raises.

Great Company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Tim Hortons

Pros

The love people have and give to this company and always have.

Cons

All the news about Burger King and all the speculation. Need facts first before people guess what is happening.

More communication on Burger King and what this means to all the employees and their future roles in the company.

Low pay as well as being treated poorly.

Current Employee - Supervisor in Amherst, NY
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Amherst, NY

I have been working at Tim Hortons full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule especially if in school or working as another job

Cons

Managers treat you like garbage, low pay

Disapointing

Former Employee - Overnight Front in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Overnight Front in Rochester, NY

I worked at Tim Hortons full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was very easy to get the job. The interview was more just being told about the position.

Cons

Only 2 people on for overnights, no training, no support. I worked the front, was hustling all 8 hours to get the cleaning done and taking customers while the other employee was doing the baking. The other employees were rude to me and the customers, the store was FILTHY, there was no support at all. Even the customers warned me that no one who cared ever lasted long. It was truth, I quit after 2 weeks.

A little bit of caring would go a long way. I loved being on my feet hustling, and loved working overnights so close to my house, I could have been a great employee if anyone there gave the slightest care about the store.

Work Experience

Current Employee - Barista in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Barista in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Tim Hortons full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good work atmosphere at tim hortons

Cons

Pay is not great at this store

Treat workers fairly

Listless people making coffee

Former Employee - Crew Member in Marysville, MI
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Marysville, MI

I worked at Tim Hortons part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get a half off discount.

Cons

Owners were horrible, people walked out every day, the managers were driven to tears by owner every day... I couldn't take it. The window time is 6 seconds during peak hours, which is fine for just coffee but the food items that need preparation take a bit longer, so that should be taken into consideration. Other locations may be ok , but the stores in our area were horrible. I have never worked in such a sad place.... and I used to do hospice. I'm not kidding, it was that bad.

Keep a better eye on your store owners!

not what expected

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Tim Hortons full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you like to wake up at 5 am.

Cons

very little advancement opportunity because corporate jobs are few and far between.

Better pay for being on call 24/7

Great job for high schoolers, but nothing to make a career out of

Current Employee - Tim Hortons Team Member in Erie, PA
    Current Employee - Tim Hortons Team Member in Erie, PA

I have been working at Tim Hortons part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free coffee, food discounts, and a positive atmosphere. Plenty of opportunity to improve problem solving and people skills. If you have a good crew you're generally going to have a good day at work. Management is friendly, patient, and helpful and owners are good too.

Cons

Pay Is just a hair over minimum wage and will likely stay there for younger workers. Lack of consistent management and major lack of communication. Can also be slow so prepare to clean. A lot.

Communicate better, leaving notes isn't an effective tool. Also some supervisors are too lazy. When they don't do their job right it hurts everybody. When there is a task that only supervisors can do and we start our shift and it's not done it makes it really difficult to get things done

Tim Hortons Photos