Tim Hortons

Updated November 20, 2014
3.2

Tim Hortons Chairman and Interim CEO Paul D. House
Paul D. House

Pros
  • good job for high school students, flexible hours, lots of locations (in 37 reviews)

• Fast paced environment means you're never bored on the job, which is definitely something I liked (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • minimum wage, can be very demanding sometimes, lots of customer complaints (in 24 reviews)

• Need lots of patience to handle rude customers (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible, draining and belittling!

Current Employee - Manager in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Tim Hortons full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers and some customers other than that there are no pros for this company! I do not recommend this company at all!

Cons

Owners are horrible people that only care about the money not the ones making it for them. TDL has way too many promos come out at once!

I was the only manager out of the three locations that actually work with the team on the floor to get the job done and help! I stood up for my Co-workers and was disrespected because of it! The higher you move up the more disrespected they treated you. The owner are disgusting human being and would speak to you like you ment nothing to them! I got NO perks for being a manager. My staff are over worked and under paid. Some havnt received raises for years no matter how hard I fought for them.

The owner was the spawn of satan!!!

Current Employee - Storefront in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Storefront in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Tim Hortons part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Second job
    Night shift
    Good hours at first but overworked feeling works in..
    Free donuts and coffee !

Cons

Management is all good but the franchise owner makes me not want to represent this brand .. He's demanding, he screams at his workers to the point they run out historically crying and never come back .. One lady never even showed up for her first shift because she felt so intimidated at interview ... The owner also is very loose on his standards in the restaurant and makes everyone's life more difficult ... He needs to be consistent with procedure ...whatever that procedure maybe be .... Very unprofessional to the point we have had no night supervisor for Atleast 6 months because the fact is managers get the shortest end of the stick from the owner .. It's gotten to the point I have no clue how he has been in business for so long when his standards are the equivalent of a jungle ... The brands training videos are so out of touch from storefront operation ... It's a sad sad place to work with crappy donuts. Sorry not sorry

Do more investigating with your owners because he is a prime example why most Tim hortons cannot keep employees ... He screams and yells makes employees feel like a pile of dirt to the point you can't bite your tongue any longer .. And I am not afraid of anyone who sits back and doesn't do work besides updating his Facebook status .. I have no clue how he has been in business for so long when his standards are the equivalent of a jungle

Low pay as well as being treated poorly.

Current Employee - Supervisor in Amherst, NY
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Amherst, NY

I have been working at Tim Hortons full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule especially if in school or working as another job

Cons

Managers treat you like garbage, low pay

Disapointing

Former Employee - Overnight Front in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Overnight Front in Rochester, NY

I worked at Tim Hortons full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was very easy to get the job. The interview was more just being told about the position.

Cons

Only 2 people on for overnights, no training, no support. I worked the front, was hustling all 8 hours to get the cleaning done and taking customers while the other employee was doing the baking. The other employees were rude to me and the customers, the store was FILTHY, there was no support at all. Even the customers warned me that no one who cared ever lasted long. It was truth, I quit after 2 weeks.

A little bit of caring would go a long way. I loved being on my feet hustling, and loved working overnights so close to my house, I could have been a great employee if anyone there gave the slightest care about the store.

Awful

Former Employee - Team Member in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Team Member in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Tim Hortons part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free drinks only during breaks. Flexible hours sometimes

Cons

Too much work for a minimum wage. Some Filipino coworkers are bossy and desperate for higher positions!

braker

Former Employee - Braker in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Braker in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I worked at Tim Hortons full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is not a very difficult job, easy inverveiw , but can to make money

Cons

the job is too hard, one person need ot three person job and get the lowest pay, need to get up very early

The review that I have at tim hortons is not a great experience and it is fast food industry

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Halifax, NS (Canada)
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Halifax, NS (Canada)

I have been working at Tim Hortons full-time

Pros

the pros of tim hortons is that you can move up in the company and they have great scheduling.

Cons

There are an exceptional amount of cons at tims but the worst is the very low rate of pay

I would not recommend this company to anyone

I have been working at Tim Hortons

Pros

I have nothing positive to say about working with this company

Cons

Unorganized and extremely unprofessional in virtually every aspect of a business.

Management requires better etiquette and need to demonstrate more professionalism.

OK for a short-term job, work there for longer than a year and you'll probably lose your will to live.

Former Employee - Store Front/Cashier in Scarborough, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Store Front/Cashier in Scarborough, ON (Canada)

I worked at Tim Hortons part-time (more than an year)

Pros

EXTREMELY flexible scheduling. I worked part-time on weekends while going to school full-time and there was no schedule conflicts.

If you're nice and respectful most customers are wonderful and respectful to you - you get what you give in this case. I've rarely had to deal with rude customers and I met quite a number of wonderful people there.

If you're lucky to have decent co-workers like I did it makes building up teamwork skills easy and fun.

A free hot drink per a break.

Cons

Highly underpaid. The pay is simply not worth the amount of stress and hassle you have to put up with. It's even worse when you realize that Tim Hortons is such a popular and successful franchise- at least they could have some of the profits reach the staff that work hard in-store. They managed to raise the price of the goods every few months but the salary of the workers that help make Timmy's a successful business gets raised once a year, if at all.

-Under-appreciation for all the work you do. Don't expect to get any positive feedback ever on a job well done but you can count on getting yelled at for things that are usually out of your control (such as a customer in line counting change or not knowing what they want to order slowing down the speed in which you move through a long line-up).

-Expect to be assigned an ungodly amount of time doing janitorial duties like wiping all the windows and doors throughout the building, picking cigarette stubs and cups outside, emptying outside bins swarming with wasps and cleaning up unmentionable body waste in bathrooms.

-Terrible uniforms ( I refuse to believe that an actual qualified fashion designer had a hand in designing the current batch of brown and vomit green-trimmed garb. A simple black dress shirt like what the managers wear would more than suffice for all staff).

-Only 15% discount off food items for staff and you're not allowed to take home any leftover goods without paying a marginally reduced price for them. Employees often just stole items as a result.

-Turnover rate for staff was a bit high (considering the cons it's not surprising).

Honestly there are a lot more cons but working there was such an awful experience that I think I blocked out a most of it. You could do better to find a part-time job elsewhere, but for those with no job experience or looking to make some pocket change Tim Hortons is a great place to start and it does look good on a resume.

Work on treating your employees better, motivating them, and boosting morale because working in an environment such as TH tends to be a soul-crushing experience.

Team member

I have been working at Tim Hortons full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The customers are the best part of this job, you see people from all walks of life and you develop good friends. People in general are polite.

Cons

If you want to work for tim hortons stay away from the bakery

Tim Hortons Photos