Tim Hortons

Updated August 21, 2014

3.2

Tim Hortons Chairman and Interim CEO Paul D. House
Paul D. House

Pros
  • Flexible hours, learning new skills, working with a diverse team (in 31 reviews)

• Good job to learn how to urea a customer and help develop customer service skills (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Could be quite stressful at times, especially for a minimum wage job (in 18 reviews)

• fast-paced environment , coffee culture (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

braker

Former Employee - Braker  in  Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Braker in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

Pros

It is not a very difficult job, easy inverveiw , but can to make money

Cons

the job is too hard, one person need ot three person job and get the lowest pay, need to get up very early

The review that I have at tim hortons is not a great experience and it is fast food industry

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  Halifax, NS (Canada)
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Halifax, NS (Canada)

Pros

the pros of tim hortons is that you can move up in the company and they have great scheduling.

Cons

There are an exceptional amount of cons at tims but the worst is the very low rate of pay

I would not recommend this company to anyone

Pros

I have nothing positive to say about working with this company

Cons

Unorganized and extremely unprofessional in virtually every aspect of a business.

Management requires better etiquette and need to demonstrate more professionalism.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

OK for a short-term job, work there for longer than a year and you'll probably lose your will to live.

Former Employee - Store Front/Cashier  in  Scarborough, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Store Front/Cashier in Scarborough, ON (Canada)

Pros

EXTREMELY flexible scheduling. I worked part-time on weekends while going to school full-time and there was no schedule conflicts.

If you're nice and respectful most customers are wonderful and respectful to you - you get what you give in this case. I've rarely had to deal with rude customers and I met quite a number of wonderful people there.

If you're lucky to have decent co-workers like I did it makes building up teamwork skills easy and fun.

A free hot drink per a break.

Cons

Highly underpaid. The pay is simply not worth the amount of stress and hassle you have to put up with. It's even worse when you realize that Tim Hortons is such a popular and successful franchise- at least they could have some of the profits reach the staff that work hard in-store. They managed to raise the price of the goods every few months but the salary of the workers that help make Timmy's a successful business gets raised once a year, if at all.

-Under-appreciation for all the work you do. Don't expect to get any positive feedback ever on a job well done but you can count on getting yelled at for things that are usually out of your control (such as a customer in line counting change or not knowing what they want to order slowing down the speed in which you move through a long line-up).

-Expect to be assigned an ungodly amount of time doing janitorial duties like wiping all the windows and doors throughout the building, picking cigarette stubs and cups outside, emptying outside bins swarming with wasps and cleaning up unmentionable body waste in bathrooms.

-Terrible uniforms ( I refuse to believe that an actual qualified fashion designer had a hand in designing the current batch of brown and vomit green-trimmed garb. A simple black dress shirt like what the managers wear would more than suffice for all staff).

-Only 15% discount off food items for staff and you're not allowed to take home any leftover goods without paying a marginally reduced price for them. Employees often just stole items as a result.

-Turnover rate for staff was a bit high (considering the cons it's not surprising).

Honestly there are a lot more cons but working there was such an awful experience that I think I blocked out a most of it. You could do better to find a part-time job elsewhere, but for those with no job experience or looking to make some pocket change Tim Hortons is a great place to start and it does look good on a resume.

Work on treating your employees better, motivating them, and boosting morale because working in an environment such as TH tends to be a soul-crushing experience.

Team member

Pros

The customers are the best part of this job, you see people from all walks of life and you develop good friends. People in general are polite.

Cons

If you want to work for tim hortons stay away from the bakery

I wish I could give less than one star...

Former Employee - Crew Member  in  Rochester Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Rochester Hills, MI

Pros

most of the customers were very sweet and a pleasure to work with, also there was a handful of funny, smart, and kind employees that worked here too.

Cons

The owners and management is ridiculous! They gossip, they yell, they're rude, they treat their employees like dirt. They except perfection out of you, and if you mess up they either fire you, dump your hours, or yell at you; and all this you're dealing with for a measly minimum wage (by the way, theres no way you're getting a raise). I clearly remember how I once puked at work, and had to sit there till the owner showed up for 40 minutes (mind you while I was still puking), and only then did they let me go home, and to add to that they cut my hours to only 8hrs a week, because the manager told the owner that i was "faking puking" ... I was afraid to leave work when I found out that I had a case of the flu, so i had to work through it, I can't even imagine how many people i got sick there, and they saw me coughing and unwell, and still said nothing about it: I think its really unprofessional when your customers have to be subjected to your employees illness.
    Oh, and don't except to get any time off, I had Christmas plans with my family and I asked for a few days off 3.5 weeks ahead of time and the owner flat out told me "no!" ... even though the policy is that if you give 2 weeks notice its acceptable, and then I got punished even more and she even cut my hours down to nothing.
    And to add to all this working there during the actual shift was hell! They were so disorganized I had to run back and fourth several times to grab donuts because the showcase was often empty and some of the donuts weren't even placed in it to begin with; all this and while taking other orders and making sure that the cars got through the drive through in under 30 seconds, which is totally unrealistic especially if people get for example a mocha latte and a breakfast panini (all time consuming things to make) and then I got yelled at for voiding things on the POS, because while i was running around sometimes I wouldn't be as careful (on a bad day maybe 10/400 orders, thats 2.5% ON A BAD DAY! )
    Overall the job would have been just fine had it been slightly more organized and owned by somebody else, and that did't seem to be happening, so after 6 months I quit.

Act like professional business owners and adults (gossiping, yelling, snide remarks, rudeness, and disorganization is not part of that)

Very impersonal

Former Employee - Store Front/Baker  in  Erie, PA
    Former Employee - Store Front/Baker in Erie, PA

Pros

Good hours and competitive pay make it an alright place to work. Co-workers are also pretty awesome most of the time.

Cons

The franchise owner for Erie (Jen) is very impersonal. I worked third shift and only met Jen 3 times over the course of one year. When my employment ended, I got a text message saying 'we will no longer we'd your services. Please return your uniforms to the store.

Talk to your employees In person, not through texts or nasty notes.

Horrible

Former Employee - Store Front Cashier  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Store Front Cashier in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

As much as I hated working for Tim Hortons under shitty management, you always get your hours.

Cons

Just a dead end job with no way to move up. Whether your a cashier or a manager, there isn't much of a difference in salary and manager always have to be available on call.

Need to respect and encourage their employees to stay there. I was there for 6 year and they really liked me, but yet they would not give me any increase on my salary nor flexibility on schedule. Instead gave me more responsibility on training new recruits and doing their management work.

Deplorable. Karl Marx is laughing down at you.

Former Employee - Tim Hortons Team Member  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Tim Hortons Team Member in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Pros

Very low bar to meet with regards to hiring people. It's quite basic in developing work skills you can use for other industries. Alright if you are a middle class high school student or an immigrant looking for a first job. Assuming you don't have a family to raise, or a spouse.

Cons

Absolutely atrocious raises and wages. The benefits do not create incentive and do not reflect what should be appropriate for Canada's largest fast food restaurant chain. When you are hired, the starting salary is minimum wage and the raises are at $0.15 every 6 months or more. Only if the manager really gets around to it. Your "training" largely involves sitting at a computer for a few hours and having to memorize and do several videos and online quizzes. After that you will be obligated to get some real experience, so then you are thrown into the coffee "department" and must fulfil every order to perfection. What i'm getting at is that new hires are not properly trained. It's a short learning curve, and mistakes are forbidden.

Even the management salaries are terrible. There is no incentive for employees to remain, and the high turnover rate only increases training costs. If salaries were raised (preferably for university students,supervisors and managers), then employees would be motivated to stay and feel as if the corporate ladder exists.

Employees are required to put on a plastic smile all the time, and constantly keep the workplace spotless, and put on this servile attitude towards customers. The supervisors are also severely undervalued, and underpaid and usually work over eight hours, to even thirteen hours a day. The manager makes a marginally decent living, yet has a very short collar on, and they are constantly jerked around by corporate in regards to any policy being introduced. They also have a shoddily designed office and this does make Tim Horton's look even more pathetic than it's competitors.

Raise the wages for immigrant workers so that they may have an actual living wage and be able to afford to improve their lives. Doing so they can get an education, and acquire more skills to move up into the corporation, this in turn will increase productivity and increase the bottom line profit margin. You could always "borrow" Costco's business model and increase wages, as they have dramatically increased profits in doing so. And as a side bonus, use that against your competitors.

As for high school/ university students, let the high school students have the minimum wage as they can (most likely) afford it, as it's pocket money for them. The university students should make ($14-15) an hour, and also be required and trained for more duties. They could be groomed for management positions, and you could create more supervisor/team leader positions. As for turnover, most university students have issues going into well paying positions in other industries, so a higher wage will retain them, and they can always move up the ladder. Ultimately promoting from within is more cost effective then headhunting or recruiting from other firms.

The latte's/cappuccinos/espressos should be made very similar to Starbucks, using milk and the best quality espresso beans. The coffee should function like Second Cup,with marked bins where customers can choose what brand of coffee they would like to have (Dark roast, Pike roast, Blonde roast, French Roast, etc). Also expand into other beverages, like create a similar beverage to the Starbuck's Macchiato, and Italian Soda's,etc.

The corporate culture largely is dependent on tradition and other vague, useless sentiments. I know this attracts the low income demographics and conservative demographics, yet you could expand more if you had a more modern approach. Change you slogan to something more urban.

As for the uniforms, change them into dark, dressy clothing, and remove the visors. They are grotesque and are repulsive to the general public. Aprons would be appreciated, think of it like Starbucks or Second Cup. Allow the cashier to have a stool, for health reasons given standing around for several hours isn't healthy. The other employees could be given a fatigue reduction mat, this can be set up before opening, or changed if the store operates at a 24/7 branch. Reduces stress and leg pain, employees won't be hampered by health issues and they can do their positions more efficiently.

The manager is vital in the success of any franchise, so redesign their "uniform" into more formal clothing, such as a suit, and give them 7 weeks off instead of the 5 a year. And increase the salary and give them more financial duties. By shaping your corporate policies after Starbucks and Second Cup, and improving the wage issue, you will have much larger profits and you will attract a wealthier demographic (upper middle class to rich).

Would not recommend

Former Employee - Team Member  in  Port Elgin, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Team Member in Port Elgin, ON (Canada)

Pros

I really like some of the employees and the customers are what kept me coming in everyday for 4 years.

Cons

Management at tim horton's is ridiculously unorganized...at least where i was. They have no consideration for employee rights and favoritism is out of control. They often won't give you breaks, or they make you work on your breaks. Make employees cry on storefront with belittling and criticism. Their only priority is paperwork and inspections. They even fake the paperwork. Just as long as it gets done and the DM sees it. It doesnt matter if ACTUAL food checks were done, just as long as it looks done. Constantly short staffed because the owners nickel and dime everything. They keep expired food and don't follow Tim Hortons regulations when it comes to food safety. They let people work alone all night long when there is supposed to be two people there. Even the police in town are concerned.

Corporate should have a better understanding of what goes on in some of their stores. Who the management team is and what they stand for.

Worked for Tim Hortons? Contribute to the Community!