Tim Hortons

Updated December 14, 2014
3.2

Tim Hortons Chairman and Interim CEO Paul D. House
Paul D. House

Pros
  • good job for high school students, flexible hours, lots of locations (in 37 reviews)

• Fast paced environment means you're never bored on the job, which is definitely something I liked (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • minimum wage, can be very demanding sometimes, lots of customer complaints (in 24 reviews)

• Need lots of patience to handle rude customers (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to start working. Friendly environment

I worked at Tim Hortons

Pros

Very fast pace makes the day go faster. Meeting new people every day. Lots of friendly people. Great training as well

Cons

The wages are not that great but that's to be expected it is a fast food restaurant. It can get very heated sometimes with the ruSh of customer

Great start for someone looking to start.

Current Employee - Team Member in East Aurora, NY
    Current Employee - Team Member in East Aurora, NY

I have been working at Tim Hortons part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast paced environment means you're never bored on the job, which is definitely something I liked. Different rotating positions each time you come in with a constantly evolving environment. No grease as apposed to many fast food locations. Great customer service opportunities, while challenging sometimes.

Cons

Draining for 8 hour morning shifts. Rude customers often tear you down a bit, but because of the expectations of the company, you just need to take a chip off your shoulder. Sometimes they are more interested in profits than people.

Put more workers on and treat your people better. More benefits and mandatory yearly reviews with potential raises.

Horrible, draining and belittling!

Current Employee - Manager in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Tim Hortons full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers and some customers other than that there are no pros for this company! I do not recommend this company at all!

Cons

Owners are horrible people that only care about the money not the ones making it for them. TDL has way too many promos come out at once!

I was the only manager out of the three locations that actually work with the team on the floor to get the job done and help! I stood up for my Co-workers and was disrespected because of it! The higher you move up the more disrespected they treated you. The owner are disgusting human being and would speak to you like you ment nothing to them! I got NO perks for being a manager. My staff are over worked and under paid. Some havnt received raises for years no matter how hard I fought for them.

The owner was the spawn of satan!!!

Current Employee - Storefront in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Storefront in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Tim Hortons part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Second job
    Night shift
    Good hours at first but overworked feeling works in..
    Free donuts and coffee !

Cons

Management is all good but the franchise owner makes me not want to represent this brand .. He's demanding, he screams at his workers to the point they run out historically crying and never come back .. One lady never even showed up for her first shift because she felt so intimidated at interview ... The owner also is very loose on his standards in the restaurant and makes everyone's life more difficult ... He needs to be consistent with procedure ...whatever that procedure maybe be .... Very unprofessional to the point we have had no night supervisor for Atleast 6 months because the fact is managers get the shortest end of the stick from the owner .. It's gotten to the point I have no clue how he has been in business for so long when his standards are the equivalent of a jungle ... The brands training videos are so out of touch from storefront operation ... It's a sad sad place to work with crappy donuts. Sorry not sorry

Do more investigating with your owners because he is a prime example why most Tim hortons cannot keep employees ... He screams and yells makes employees feel like a pile of dirt to the point you can't bite your tongue any longer .. And I am not afraid of anyone who sits back and doesn't do work besides updating his Facebook status .. I have no clue how he has been in business for so long when his standards are the equivalent of a jungle

Work Experience

Current Employee - Barista in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Barista in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Tim Hortons full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good work atmosphere at tim hortons

Cons

Pay is not great at this store

Treat workers fairly

Great Company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Tim Hortons

Pros

The love people have and give to this company and always have.

Cons

All the news about Burger King and all the speculation. Need facts first before people guess what is happening.

More communication on Burger King and what this means to all the employees and their future roles in the company.

Low pay as well as being treated poorly.

Current Employee - Supervisor in Amherst, NY
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Amherst, NY

I have been working at Tim Hortons full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule especially if in school or working as another job

Cons

Managers treat you like garbage, low pay

Great job for high schoolers, but nothing to make a career out of

Current Employee - Tim Hortons Team Member in Erie, PA
    Current Employee - Tim Hortons Team Member in Erie, PA

I have been working at Tim Hortons part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free coffee, food discounts, and a positive atmosphere. Plenty of opportunity to improve problem solving and people skills. If you have a good crew you're generally going to have a good day at work. Management is friendly, patient, and helpful and owners are good too.

Cons

Pay Is just a hair over minimum wage and will likely stay there for younger workers. Lack of consistent management and major lack of communication. Can also be slow so prepare to clean. A lot.

Communicate better, leaving notes isn't an effective tool. Also some supervisors are too lazy. When they don't do their job right it hurts everybody. When there is a task that only supervisors can do and we start our shift and it's not done it makes it really difficult to get things done

Disapointing

Former Employee - Overnight Front in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Overnight Front in Rochester, NY

I worked at Tim Hortons full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was very easy to get the job. The interview was more just being told about the position.

Cons

Only 2 people on for overnights, no training, no support. I worked the front, was hustling all 8 hours to get the cleaning done and taking customers while the other employee was doing the baking. The other employees were rude to me and the customers, the store was FILTHY, there was no support at all. Even the customers warned me that no one who cared ever lasted long. It was truth, I quit after 2 weeks.

A little bit of caring would go a long way. I loved being on my feet hustling, and loved working overnights so close to my house, I could have been a great employee if anyone there gave the slightest care about the store.

Listless people making coffee

Former Employee - Crew Member in Marysville, MI
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Marysville, MI

I worked at Tim Hortons part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get a half off discount.

Cons

Owners were horrible, people walked out every day, the managers were driven to tears by owner every day... I couldn't take it. The window time is 6 seconds during peak hours, which is fine for just coffee but the food items that need preparation take a bit longer, so that should be taken into consideration. Other locations may be ok , but the stores in our area were horrible. I have never worked in such a sad place.... and I used to do hospice. I'm not kidding, it was that bad.

Keep a better eye on your store owners!

Tim Hortons Photos