Tim Hortons

Updated August 17, 2014

3.2

Tim Hortons Chairman and Interim CEO Paul D. House
Paul D. House

Pros
  • Flexible hours, learning new skills, working with a diverse team (in 31 reviews)

• Good job to learn how to urea a customer and help develop customer service skills (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Could be quite stressful at times, especially for a minimum wage job (in 18 reviews)

• fast-paced environment , coffee culture (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

101 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

good

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

good customer serviceI believe I will do this job very well. I have adequate experience and skills for this responsibility. I’m enthusiastic and very dynamic, I am willing to learn and will improve my qualification for such a greater benefit.

Cons

My long-term goals is growing with a company where I can continue to learn, take on additional responsibilities, and contribute as much of value as I can.

I like to make sure that my work is perfect, so I tend to perhaps spend a little too much time checking it. However, I’ve come to a good balance by setting up a system to ensure everything is done correctly the first time.

Good place to work but too much micro managing from owners and corporate.

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Hamilton, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

Pros

Flexible hours, great team environment depending on the store, making it right for the guest and seeing the gratitude afterwards.

Cons

More work for less money, depending what owner you work for. unrealistic goals set by corporate harder to achieve when they keep adding new products, owners come in once or twice a week for 1 hour to bring down their management staff without any kind of help from them, customers have gotten very rude and disrespectful lately and complain about the smallest things, like ketchup! people order huge amounts of stuff in drive thru and the person behind orders one thing.

Get rid of interact, tim card and credit through drive thru, this has led people to think that they can order 50 dollars worth of food through drive thru on a busy day. Owners, help your staff out more often and see what they go through on a regular basis and show them great leadership through positive reinforcement. Stop adding new machines and processes so its easier for people to do their jobs. It may work in your testing facilities, but not all Tim Horton stores are the same.

Dissatisfied as a employer for personal reasons

Former Employee - Tim Hortons - Store Front/Baker  in  Oshawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Tim Hortons - Store Front/Baker in Oshawa, ON (Canada)

Pros

create you own schedule as long as it fits owners needs

Cons

Owners and Managemet need to be screened they just suck

Better screening of Owners or Franchisese

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

extremely fast paced

Former Employee - Store Front/Cashier  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Store Front/Cashier in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

Nice people, flexible hours, usually busy.

Cons

TOO busy at times, customers can be extremely rude, tried to short me on paychecks.

Too much work for little pay

Current Employee - Store Front/Cashier  in  Brampton, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Store Front/Cashier in Brampton, ON (Canada)

Pros

Somewhat flexible hours, good staff

Cons

No encouragement, too many rules, no raises, high expectations for no compensation.

Be more realistic and more consistent.

very quick pace, high expectations & standards

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Hamilton, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

Pros

good training, incentives, discounted food & drinks, supporting local charities, decent tips, most customers are nice & friendly, most staff friendly and eager to successfully complete assigned tasks

Cons

dealing with miserable customers who brow beat and argue attempting to get free items, dealing with theives, hours can be discouraging, limited stat holidays as 7x24x364 busiiness

be consistent, hire hard dismiss easy

Have to be in the right store with the right owner

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Hamilton, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - General Manager in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

Pros

Started low as a Baker on nights and when I left was a GM. Great potential to be a leader of some sort but depends on the owners drive for success.
    Pay was okay, Bonuses made it better until it became harder to get the full bonus.

Cons

Not working fork a good owner you could have trouble being heard making it harder to grow.
    After GM your stuck, no room to move up from there.

Every Tim Hortons should run as the ones I worked for (all the same owner) listen to your employees more, they do the work everyday and can tell you what is possible and not.

Good for a first job.

Former Employee - Storefront Employee  in  Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Storefront Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Pros

- It's really easy (just making food and coffee).
    - Training is very helpful (not to mention paid).
    - 50% off food.

Cons

- Nightshifts were inconvenient at times.
    - Work on holidays.
    - Schedule isn't very flexible.

Customers Good, Staff Mediocre

Former Employee - Store Front Cashier  in  Pickering, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Store Front Cashier in Pickering, ON (Canada)

Pros

If you want to gain experience or confidence interacting with people then this is the perfect place to work because you come in contact with so many people during a single shift at work.

Time tends to fly by because it's a fast-paced working environment.

Cons

The managers were nice in the beginning but it seemed like the more experience you got the worst they treated you.

I worked the overnight shift and the morning staff were the worst people on this planet. They were NEVER satisfied with the work the overnight staff had to do and it was seriously the hardest position. Our tim hortons had a cold stone and a drive thru with only 2 people working. It's hard to clean the WHOLE store when you have people coming through drive-thru, the front of the store, and cold stone with only 2 people working. The morning staff was just full of the most ungrateful people on this planet. You could have everything done but accidentally forget to put in new small cups and all hell breaks loose.

Poor Management Poor pay catty staff not worth your time

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Haldimand County, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Haldimand County, ON (Canada)

Pros

Very easy to get full time hours and will work with your schedule which is nice

Cons

minimum wage, 70$ for one really ugly uniform that doesn't fit at all and you end up spending another 30 to get it altered so you aren't completely uncomfortable all day. That stupid visor hat fits poorly always slides in my face and just in general annoys the crap out of me. Staff can be really rude to new people and make you feel completely incompetent after 3 shifts. They expect you to arrive 15 min prior to shift start but you are not paid for it. Health benefits don't start till 6 months and it is only 50% first year. You get crap breaks at least at my location, 2 x 15 min and 1 x 10 min in an 8 hour shift!!!

Stop playing obvious favorites it is scaring all your new staff away.

Worked for Tim Hortons? Contribute to the Community!