Tim Hortons

Updated Mar 18, 2014

Tim Hortons Chairman and Interim CEO Paul D. House

Paul D. House

12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fun and culturally diverse workplace! Funny Coworkers make a difference to your day!

Store Front Position (Current Employee)
Richmond, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Tim Hortons part-time for more than a year

ProsClose working atmosphere with other coworkers. Flexible and accomodating shifts.
At my location, everyone gets along. Coworkers spend time with eachother outside of the workplace and there are always new stories with our returning customers. I am lucky to work at a good location, coworkers are friendly, usually good customers and good management.
Business is good, its always busy so time goes fast and there is always something to do. To me it is a pleasure to be part of the staff because I like to stay engaged with customers all the time and keep in touch with the other employees around me.
Since I have worked there for 2 years, I understand what customers want and I know whats going on in their minds and communicate and we work cohesivelly as a Timmy Family.

ConsThe only downsides I could think of if you are a Baker who works in the back, you have to experience cold freezing temperatures while staging the baked goods from the freezer. It is freezing even when you wear your winter jacket. Bakers sometimes do not have the time to get breaks, because Tim Hortons is usually always busy that the baked goods on muffin/donut/cookie racks run out pretty fast. This is very stressful which causes the baker to make many baked goods at once, trying to multi-task working in the back alone that they hardly get time to take a break. Bakers have a choice to have a break but most of the time they are dedicated to their tasks and chose not to take one because they do not want to fall behind.
If you work in the back and not in store front is the only stressful part I could think of.
Anyways, I think this is a great for anybody to start their first job and to meet customers, make friends with coworkers.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement could scheduele several bakers during the same shift to reduce stress for busy periods and allow break time and job rotations for employees.
Bakers have strange shifts and sometimes start 4AM in the morning that they must dedicate to alter in their lifestyle, so they deserve a little rest here and there.

Flexible Hours

Team Member (Current Employee)
Surrey, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Tim Hortons full-time for more than a year

ProsIt's really flexible company, good hours, partially good management, and a good experience for beginners

ConsNo opportunities for advancement, fluctuation of pay, no raise , and not enough training

Advice to Senior ManagementStore needs improvement in handling their "workers".

An OK work environment

Student Worker (Former Employee)

I worked at Tim Hortons part-time

ProsEasy job, good manager, clear scheduling,

ConsCan be very busy some times, tedious work

May be Not going back

Tim Hortons Team Member (Former Employee)
Victoria, BC (Canada)

I worked at Tim Hortons full-time for less than a year

ProsIts good to have Donut and coffee free

ConsLong standing hours, minimum wage

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing to say about it

Disorganized Company

Store Clerk (Former Employee)
Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Tim Hortons part-time for less than a year

ProsAttracts a lot of fun and nice people to work there, atmosphere is quite casual, they offer a lot of hours, district managers come in regularly to oversee things

ConsDespite efforts from management, the state of the store was very disorganized. Everyone is constantly running around and staff are asked to be constantly extremely busy. Immediately after training you are expected to be able to work entirely on your own, and people assigned to train you are often unsure of how to do so, leaving you confused and uncertain of your tasks.

Not bad for a first job; experiences vary with different owners

Restaurant Team Member (Current Employee)

I have been working at Tim Hortons full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- The work isn't physically demanding
- Depending on your owner and location, discounts or even free food and beverages
- Good place for students, flexible schedules and easy to book days off
- Free uniform

Cons- Shift managers, supervisors, and managers don't get paid enough for all their work
- They'll play around with the schedule (for example, my friend worked a double shift 4 - 12 am one day then 12 - 8 but didn't get paid extra because they were 'technically' different days)
- Pretending everything is super fresh
- The hair net (I really don't like hair nets)

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't overwork your managers or supervisors! They'll end up resenting it.

Fast food atmosphere but better then Mc Donalds

Store Front Cashier (Former Employee)
Nanaimo, BC (Canada)

I worked at Tim Hortons part-time for more than a year

ProsFree Coffee (If you actually like it), Free donuts and timbits on shift (if you're into that), free uniforms

ConsSupervisors didnt do their jobs properly, owner of the store was very strict in enforcing quality control, so as not to waste anything, not even a paper cup. Some shitty customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so hard on your employees and maybe pay them more.

Offshore hiring wages

Tim Hortons Team Member (Current Employee)
Langford, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Tim Hortons full-time for less than a year

ProsQuality of their foods, enjoy working with the public, a company that cares about children, ie the Tim Horton camps etc.

ConsA disgruntled Philippine employee broke her confidentiality clause to tell someone the wages about they receive, housing & cost of flights are far above what the Canadian employees receive in same employ. Also there are unemployed Canadians qualified to fill those jobs that the offshore employees get.

Advice to Senior ManagementA certain Manager should learn to communicate with employees in a better manner. She should learn to praise her employees for what they do well to lift their spirits,. Not just criticize their shortcomings. ie constructive criticism bodes well when coupled with praise for areas of a job well done.

It's a very social and fun environment!

Server (Current Employee)

I have been working at Tim Hortons part-time for more than a year

ProsIt's a very social place to work in and your always on your feet.

ConsLong work hours at a time and benefits such as health and dental could be better.

Advice to Senior Managementadding some more health benefits like dental benefits.

Pouring lots of coffee!! :)

Customer Services Representative (Former Employee)
New Westminster, BC (Canada)

I worked at Tim Hortons

ProsGreat, fun atmosphere to work in. Always busy so there is little opportunity to get bored. Additionally there is a very loyal customer base, with many regulars whom you get to know personally!

ConsCan become quite repetitive after awhile. After all how many coffees can a person actually pour in one day before you lose your mind!! Some customers can be very particular about "bagels" LOL!

Worked for Tim Hortons? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tim Hortons reviews and ratings in Vancouver, BC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Tim Hortons CEO Paul D. House. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Tim Hortons employees.