Timberland

www.timberland.com

Timberland Reviews

Updated Jul 12, 2014
Timberland – UK – “EHQ atrium”

Timberland – UK – “EHQ atrium”

Timberland Vice President, VF Corporation and Group President, Outdoor & Action Sports Americas Steve Rendle

Steve Rendle

I giant waste of time and effort.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThe people, the people absolutely made it for me, they became a second family to me. To be honest these wonderful (but crazy people who have stayed there so long) are the only reason I have been able to stand it there for so long. I hope they escape someday...

ConsMinimum wage for an often tiresome, chaotic and stressful working environment/job. (Either first or second best money making store in Europe often consistently).
    Consistently asked for more for less or nothing at all.
    Management could be disorganized/lazy/moronic in their decision making and often on the shop floor for no more than 45 minutes max in a full day.
    Ever since VF have owned the company it has gone downhill: Less holiday time, discount is now only 20% and there are no signs of considering the ones who are actually making the money lower down the food chain.
    Promises of change never kept.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the ones who worked at my store, listen to the sales assistants they are the most involved in the moneymaking aspects of the business and communication needs to desperately improve. Don't make promises you cannot keep. E.g pay rises and opportunities for positions and development.

To the management above them who I consider the biggest set of monkeys I have ever heard about and have unfortunately met, you need to come down off of your high horses, work in one of the busiest stores in Europe and seriously ask yourselves: would I ever do this for minimum wage for 40 hours a week? As far as I know they only care for the digits they get emailed at the end of the day for how well we had done compared to how many customers had entered the store. I trully hope I never have to involve myself in such a stingy non-cooperative company such as VF again.

The Swartz family should never have handed their brand over to that addled bohemoth I know as VF.

There is a good chance no one from head office or anyone in management under Timberland will read this, but for god sake you've got to listen to the people you work with and strive for change, otherwise people are simply not going to work for you or want to work for you. Please change for the better.

At That Location, There where

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPayed every week
    fun environment

ConsMangers Suck
    more hours needed

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep Family problems out of the work place

Terrible

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Ellesmere Port, England (UK)

ProsFriendly staff who are easy to get along with on a personal level but not business wise, made some great friends

ConsAfter having started a new job i realize how bad of company this is in regards to staff treatment. Managers do not care about staff who are part time only full time workers were treated with respect and consideration, Guilt tripping in regards to taking holidays and made to feel bad for requesting holidays and after a former colleague booked a holiday 3 months in advance he was forced to leave the company as the area manager quoted to him 'if you don't work it, you know where the door is' i found this completely inappropriate and completely unfair as he was a hard worker . . They do not work around other commitments such as college/university having agreed to do so in interviews and would work you into the ground given the opportunity. It was discussed with many different store workers that the area manager was rude, smug and definitely did not have staffs best interests in mind. Overall i would never work for this company again and all staff who i worked with felt the same had they not money commitments and while i worked there 3 people walked out of this job and 6 people quit in the short time i was there and one lady only lasted one day.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo take in to consideration what kind of people you are employing to run your shops as much of what takes place goes against numerous HR Regulations and fair treatment to staff.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good, very informative and a lot of technical information

Fashion Consultant (Former Employee) Pune (India)

Prosgood, technical, technology, winter wear, new fashion merchandise, accessories, shoes, very nice store layout in India.

Consunder reliance in India,

Advice to Senior ManagementIndian market: no marketing done, market potential can improve if marketed well. NO PR done, price bracket too high for the Indian Market. Target audience not justified in India. Targeting premium customer is not the way to go about for timberland. Timberland caters to different social catogeries depending on what intent the product is being purchased for

Four years experience with Timberland, read my review!

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Woodbury, NY

ProsGreat discount. You are taught everything and it is an easy job to start at. After about two weeks, I knew exactly what I had to do every time. A lot of regular customers so sometimes they begin to recognize you, feels good belonging. Also the fellow sales associates are very cool, made some life long friends working at the company. Casual and relaxed dress code, for stock you can even wear sweats/basketball shorts. I never needed to use them so im not exactly sure, but my fellow employees told me the benefits were great for part timers. Very easy to get requested time off. Very environmentally friendly.

ConsI am not a fan of the company and would not recommend working with them. Was an employee for four years straight at two different locations and never got a promotion. Raises are one time a year, and if you get $0.20, that is very good. I remember people getting as low as $0.08, basically a slap in the face more than a reward. Basically, the stores have very poor management. The managers are very lazy and abuse their title. They will be doing nothing, and still ask the associate to go get a shoe or do some other very simple task they could easily do. Also, some stores do not allow their part time employees to handle cash at the register. This was also a slap in the face to me, for as a 20 year old college student who had been employed for years at the time, I felt i was more than qualified to handle cash. However, I was not. This also gave managers another excuse to be lazy as one would stay at the register at all times. Even if there were no customers, a manager would continue to sit at the register just doing nothing. Also, there was one security guard. When he would take an hour lunch, someone would have to stand at the front to greet and watch for theft in that area. More times than half, a manager would take this position. If only management can handle cash, and must supervise and MANAGE the store, why would they bound themselves to just the guard's spot in the front? Because they were very lazy. These are just two examples, but basically the managers were very lazy and would ask every employee to do even the smallest task (a 30 second task sometimes) before doing it themselves. Also, there is no room for growth as bad as the management was. I was an employee for two years, then transferred and was an employee for one year. While employed, a manager quit. I was very trusted and respected, and was basically running the stock room. It was q4 and we were short a manager, yet i NOR anyone else was promoted. Instead, the head manager decided to work the entire q4 short one manager, sometimes scheduling other mangers for open-close shifts right off the bat, and then hired a completely new manager from outside after q4. The list goes on and on, but as you can see, very poor management. Also, the stock room was often neglected. After a while I was basically the "stock lead". On my days off, nobody would work the stock room. The shipment would literally sit there untouched. Instead of having another person process it, it just waited till my next shift. So another con is the stock room is often very annoyed, and if you are responsible for stock the work load gets very heavy and you are still nott given assistance. Yet, although they knew I had 3 days of stock work to do sometimes, they would schedule me for short shifts like 11-4. So i would have to do 3 days work in half of a shift. Another flaw, lack of hours. During q4 you can get all the hours you want. After that, not a chance. The maximum amount of hours you will receive a week is 25, and thats usually the best employee or two as most part timers get 12-20. Some as low as less than 10 consistently. No raises, no growth, very poor management, and a large lack of hours. Strongly recommend finding employment elsewhere unless you are in high school and this is your first job as it is fun at first until you realize you deserve more.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being lazy. You guys are managers - lead by example and show us how its done. Do not use your title to be able to stand around and have the employees be your minions. Also, give some people a chance. Ive seen people work at stores literally from OPENING DAY for two years straight and get nothing but a twenty cent raise. Ive also seen people work this same amount of time and get beat to a management position by someone never employed by timberland. Basically, management has to start actually doing their job and using common sense.

Great Brand, poor retail managers

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Sunrise, FL

ProsGood benefits and employee discount

ConsPoor Management and training lacks. sink or swim

Simple retail position; easy

Sales Associate (Former Employee) King of Prussia, PA

ProsLeadership was cool and everything was straight forward.

ConsTypical retail hours and like any other retail position, favoritism exists. People who were cool with the store manger outside of work had more leeway to do as they pleased.

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch who you make your store managers. The manager was younger and not all that experienced with a managerial position.

Overall a good company to work for.

Store Manager (Former Employee) New Delhi (India)

ProsExcellent pay package. Flexible schedule.

ConsUnreal sale targets. Very high expectations from store team.

Assistant Store Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI liked working here it was fun and enjoying

ConsThe new manager really doesnt care about what may be going on with you outside of work

Great brand, passionate team, a chance to learn a ton because the direction changes a lot!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Stratham, NH

ProsOpportunity to:
    -- Work on a global brand with lots of consumer appeal
    -- Take on big projects from start to finish with limited oversight
    -- Live in Seacoast NH (near Boston, the mountains, universities)
    -- Balance work & life (true for most, but not all jobs here)

Cons-- Salaries are low (even by NH standards)
    -- Limited upward mobility

Worked for Timberland? Contribute to the Community!