Timberlawn Mental Health System

Timberlawn Mental Health System Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

My experience has been "okay"

Tech (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsNo benefits, no perks, no positive feedback, no one gives you any credit for what you do well

Consobviously its a psych hospital and your working around psych patients (and their families)

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease security!

Dangerous

Registered Nurse (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsMost of the floor staff is great to work with.

ConsThis is a dangerous place to work. Expect to have 1 RN caring for 27 patients - with assist from 1 to 2 techs. Oh - and APOWWS (people brought in by police for evaluation) don't count in staffing so you could end up with 30+ patients including them. Training is 2 - 3 shifts with no real structure - and mostly with incompetent preceptors. They will constantly mess up your paycheck and short you - and don't forget the illegal "fake breaks" that they encourage - (but don't encourage with a wink ;-)) Upper management doesn't seem to care at all about employee or patient wellbeing - they are simply here to operate with the slimmest budget possible to retain the largest bonuses possible from UHS.

Advice to Senior ManagementPatient safety comes first, you should know that.

I had a very good time at Timberlawn

ProsGood place to work is Timberlawn

ConsNothing bad at Timberlawn it is a good job

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Low pay for high pay work

Mental Health Tech (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsYou get to have a job.

ConsThey expect you to work until they tell you too stop.

Highly Stressful Work Conditions and Discriminatory Hiring Practices!

Psychotherapist (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsNone that I know of. Timberlawn has high turnaround because it truly a dreadful place to work. Disgusting place to work!!!

ConsThe enviornment is highly stressful and the psychotherapists are cluttered together. Safety is another issue because escape attempts (adolescent unit) were not uncommon. The hospital should look into hiring qualified African-Americans and Latinos. Most of the patients in my area were either African-American or Latino but there were only White and Indian psychotherapists there to assist them. A parent commented on this to me. They have a spanish translator that travels between units because they have no Latino psychotherapists. Only White and Indian professionals are employed there.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your therapists
    Improve the overall work enviornment
    Make genuine strides towards a diverse professional staff

Safety Concerns

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsTimberlawn seems to have a decent tuition reimbursement program that will pay for your education in any related field (i.e. Psychology, Social Work).

ConsSevere safety issues. Also, hospital does not offer domestic-partner benefits and other basic privileges that other similar institutions in the area offer.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease pay for all staff, and offer domestic partner benefits and other progressive policies to pull in more diverse talent.

Unnecessary, extreme levels of stress due to poor management, not the work itself.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsEnjoyment from seeing the work you do make a noticeable difference by both behavioral changes in the patients and verbalization from the patients and families.

ConsVery poor working conditions (i.e., not enough space for employees to work, 3-5 people trying to use one phone, poorly updated reference material and procedures, very little training, etc.).

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement must model customer service excellence if they expect their employees to provide customer service excellence, with a special emphasis on internal customer service. Customer service excellence can only be achieved when management freely offers the mental guidance and support, as well as the physical environment and other working conditions to do so.

Worked for Timberlawn Mental Health System? Contribute to the Community!