Time

Updated Jun 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Joseph A. Ripp

Pros:
  • "Good work life balance, benefits (which is changing with the spin-off), nice people"
    in 25 reviews
  • "Great benefits, great brands, some really smart people under certain brands like People"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very traditional, upper management organization isn't clear, constant downsizing"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Senior management can't make decisions so nothing has happened in 2 years"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

The quality of your manager largely determines your experience

Reporter/Researcher (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGood benefits, work environment accepts casual attire, interesting work.

ConsMany managers are inept, have weak egos and take it out on their staff. Check out the lawsuits filed (and won) for racist promotion policies. Few opportunities to advance within your title. Nepotism determines promotions. Very low level of diversity at the top. Top-heavy salaries yet it was always the hardworking, innovative and committed low-level employees who were frequently let go by the dozen. Management is clearly out of ideas with regard to digital, and will not acknowledge younger/more junior staff members' ideas regardless of how terribly their own projects fail.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your more junior staff people with ideas about digital. Stop using the old model of promotion based on whose father golfs with management, and instead promote people based on their work ethic, value to the brand ($) and ambition and dedication. Get rid of middle managers whose negative attitudes toward their own staff belie their own insignificance. Realize the real benefit of diversity (not just racial, also economic, ethnic, background/lifestyle, age, gender, etc.) - fresh ideas that can be backed up by market research.

Horrible

Management (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThe only reason I worked for Time, was because I was promised a bunch of potential opportunities in the future as they had the number 1 magazine in the world.

ConsThey had no plan for digital platform, The company had no diversity, The company culture was more about being rude than respectful. The Regional Managers were more concerned about making bonus than caring for their employees. If you were on their good side they loved you, if you had an opinion on how to make things better you were looked down on and made to be the bad person.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at your Field Senior Leadership as they are not what they appear to be. There are many things going on in the field that the Senior Leader would not want to hear. An example would be adultery at the highest level, racism and sexism at the highest level. Many of the people that were let go over the past two years were good people, however did not fit the profile of the ones making the decisions. So you have to ask yourself why a company with great brands is struggling?

A good experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people, reputable brand, very good benefits.

ConsThe company was going through a lot of change and re-orgs during my service there.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall the culture was a poor one to work for, many employees not happy and management not concerned with morale

Manager (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsWorking with great titles and really good brand managers

ConsLack of diversity, Lack of respect, and the senior management at the regional level does not care for all their employees only the ones that they tend to engage.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at your regional VP's and Directors and understand that without diversity, and without a true caring for you employees you will never be the great company that you seek to be.

The times are changing as this is not the same company it was just a few years ago

Senior Director (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsExciting technology; relevant media company; brands that you know. With the new senior leadership in place there seems to be movement to try a lot of things all at once and try a lot of new things.

ConsThere are layoffs weekly. Its a scary place to work when your job could be eliminated at any time. Many projects do not sound promising from the concept phase yet senior leadership blesses them anyway without thinking through the true ROI. Some proposals are so out of whack its comical.

Advice to Senior Managementif there are going to be layoffs, get it over with quickly and do it all in one fell swoop. This concept of a few this day and a few more another day is worrying a LOT of good people, moral is way way way down. I do not see movement as there is a lot of restructuring going on right now.

Decent salary, benefits and people, but in a declining industry

ProsHuge brand name prestige
    Decent people
    Decent salary & benefits

ConsDeclining industry
    Hidebound old school company

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline decision making

I enjoyed my time at Time

Information Technology (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat Benefits. Work Life balance is excellent. Encouragement of managers to actually use vacation and truly be 'out of the office'. Fun co-workers. They don't expect work to be your life. Free magazines, both in print, online, and on mobile.

ConsThe spin-off from Time Warner has introduced a lot of uncertainty. They top brass has all been reshuffled and changed. Which while I think it's a good thing, as things needed to be shaken up, the endless unknowns are difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange is happening, and it's happening fast. We all understand that. However please try and provide us something to boost morale. For instance let us know early if we are going to get Summer Fridays or not.

I left not because I was unhappy per se, but when another opportunity comes along, and you have know idea whether you'll have the same benefits or even a job in the next year, you take the other job.

A lot of strengths and a lot of challenges....

ProsFairly good pay. Good work/life balance. Generally, the people have good values. Strong brand equity that is underleveraged due to attachment with and myopic view of print magazines.

ConsHard to buy into digital strategies that aren't being communicated like they are with other (growing) digital companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll of audience development needs to be reporting in to consumer marketing, especially given how much consumer marketing is doing to evolve the business model. There is a lot of immoral, unethical decision-making at the director level. Keep only the people who truly support the ad sales AND consumer marketing businesses.

Great company, but lagging behind

Senior Front End Developer (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsIconic brands, lots of good people working there. I enjoyed working there until a bunch of us fell victim to the first round of layoffs this year.

ConsI saw the company change it's approach and strategy and it looked like people were just groping around. It changed leadership several times in four or five years. It's still lagging behind, and eliminating people who have deep knowledge and passion of the company was baffling and most would say it's a poor management move to improve the books before the spinoff. Will miss working there, but I'm not looking back.

The other common complaint is the lack of transparency. The really senior management was never known to share what's happening in the company even to relatively senior management at the director levels as well. We find out about layoffs every year through outside sources, like the Post, which is just funny.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend time in the trenches instead of just talking about how things will change from a podium. For middle managers, get your people more involved, as apathy and insecurity can run rampant if people feel left out.

Circling the drain

Finance Director (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsNone...company is going no where but down

ConsManagement has run out of ideas on how to slow the decline of sales. Politics have taken over as everyone scramble to keep their job and try to escape the next round of layoffs. And layoffs are happening every year.
    Because of this, it's just do more with less. People have become miserable. I started there 9 years ago, and although it was a tough place to work, you could be rewarded and generally be happy. Not anymore.
    Time is now going to become a separate public company, and will saddled with debt. There is no future here, just pain. Benefits continue to be cut, there have been several years with no pay raises. All with the threat of layoffs constantly looming over your head.
    Just stay away, find a company that at least has a shot at a bright future.

Advice to Senior ManagementStand up for your employees and have respect for yourself. Stop being so arrogant.

Worked for Time? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Time reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Time CEO Joseph A. Ripp. All 182 reviews posted anonymously by Time employees.