Time

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Joseph A. Ripp

Pros
  • Good work life balance, benefits (which is changing with the spin-off), nice people(in 26 reviews)

• Great benefits, great brands, some really smart people under certain brands like People(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Very traditional, upper management organization isn't clear, constant downsizing(in 11 reviews)

• Senior management can't make decisions so nothing has happened in 2 years(in 8 reviews)

Racing to the bottom

Editorial (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsPrestigious editorial brand located in landmark midtown offices; many bright, curious journalists; free coffee, water and air-conditioning

ConsLow wages, poor benefits, little chance of advancement; feeble digital effort masks desperate, last-ditch struggle to save a magazine in decline; top-down leadership, cliquey, elitist culture

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more transparency on decision-making, empower newer digital talent to take initiative, enact change and be recognized for their abilities

Great Brands, Mediocre Company

Brand Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosvacation days, great brands, talented co-workers, great exposure

Consstressful environment, print business in decline

Advice to Senior Managementslow personal growth, not many promotion opportunities

Still got time for Time

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsTime still offers great benefits.

ConsSome challenges include training new personnel, which is constantly changing.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide clarity on goals & future changes.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work, but going through some changes

Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsTime-off policies used to be quite generous, recently we have seen some changes which have taken away some former priveleges. There is a rich company history/sense of legacy which sounds cheesey but is actually nice to be a part of.

ConsAreas are very silo-ed, not a lot of meaningful communication throughout the company.

Overall, great experience

Consumer Insights Intern (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsEven though the work I'm doing isn't completely interesting to me career-wise, everyone in this company is fantastic to work with. Everyone is nice/friendly, helpful, and they don't look down on you because you're an intern. Always free coffee, and my group has a social free food meeting every other Thursday. Every Time Inc magazine is available for you to read for free at anytime, and the location is prime near Central Park & Times Square.

ConsPay is low, there are no benefits, and the company is doing more layoffs than hiring because of the declining magazine industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage in more contact with interns, they could use your mentoring.

director

Director Finance (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThere is really nothing that could be considered a pro at this point in time.

ConsHorrible place to work. No vision. Senior management does not value employees and the attitude is they should be lucky to have a job. No strategic vision - all about cost cutting.

Advice to Senior ManagementLean how to lead and manage you human resources.

unique, full of knowleage

Senior Production Coordinator (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosthe atmosphere of teamwork, lots of things to do !!

ConsToo many chiefs not enough...... well you know the rest.

Advice to Senior ManagementDont spend too much time giving your employees paperwork for yearly reviews.

Great!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNurturing managers who want to see you succeed. Was an environment where others listened and considered my ideas. There was also solid work-life balance-- there were many extracurricular groups which met outside of work hours for social events and happy hours, and held seminars to educate about non-work related topics.

ConsPublishing industry is in decline, but Time Inc. has a strong vision and persistent leadership. Am curious to see how the company will do in coming years.

Really, really dysfunctional

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPrestigious brands and a high profile

ConsConfused, depressed, a decade to fifteen years behind the best companies in its knowledge of digital media. Poor communications, no attempt to reward top employees or do anything about weak ones.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire from outside NYC old-school media pool--more smart people from young, digital-only companies would be enormously helpful

fine

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood and fun people, office culture is fun

ConsNot very accepting to change, stuck in old ways

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is poor

Worked for Time? Contribute to the Community!