Time

Updated December 22, 2014
Updated December 22, 2014
3.3

Joseph A. Ripp

Pros
  • The work-life balance and benefits were both reasonable in my day (in 32 reviews)

• Great benefits (gym reimbursement & paid time off) (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Very traditional, upper management organization isn't clear, constant downsizing (in 12 reviews)

• Senior management does not value employees and the attitude is they should be lucky to have a job (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent place to learn about the world of journalism and the challenges it faces today

I have been working at Time full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very friendly, encouraging atmosphere. Intelligent, driven staff. Interesting assignments. Rigorous, thorough work.

Cons

Sometimes a lack of transparency about salaries and career progression; general uncertainty about future of editorial platforms.

Quickly becoming a shell of it's former self.

I have been working at Time full-time

Pros

Current Technology & Product Engineering (formerly IT) employee

Not many.

Location for now. At least we are moving downtown instead of NJ. Although IT (yes IT Colin) will be greatly reduced and shoved under the stair case based on the floor charts shown to the company.

4 weeks vacation (if you get to take it) with no rollover!

Summer Fridays. Oh wait. Those are gone.

401K with reduced matching.

Health/Dental. Was sold as better now we are separated from Warner. That's true if you are single.

Cons

Obvious disdain for the U.S. engineering team by CTO Colin Bodell. He is more interested in updating Yammer with his photo ops with celebrities than the welfare of the U.S. staff. This is made abundantly clear by his frequent trips to Bangalore where he takes employees out to dinner for personal chats. Also, I have personally witnessed him doting over a single Bangalore employee who was visiting the U.S. and asking what they thought about the U.S. staff and operations. Don't get me wrong. I work with the Bangalore team every day and the people I deal with are good, hard working, intelligent people. But so are the U.S. engineers. How about asking us what we think is wrong with what is going on in the U.S.? Not all of us are left overs from the previous Time Warner owned debacle.

The plan is to greatly reduce the U.S. team and bulk up in Bangalore definitely and Seattle most likely. All under the cover of "follow the sun". The idea is sound but it's implementation is lacking. Absolutely no chance or consideration is being given to the NY team.

Clueless upper management in IT. Yes, Colin, I referenced that forbidden acronym. You would think to be a VP or SVP of a technical area you would have an understanding of the technologies in that area. Nope. Not here.

Backstabbing and finger pointing is rampant among VP and SVP level. Only the negative is ever accepted. No chance is given to enlighten the misinformed because the negative is all that is accepted.

Motivation is getting a little rubber duck and your name on a poster.

No work/life balance if you actually get work done or care about what you are working on.

The employees only source of good information seems to be gone because Keith J Kelly from the NY Post has not written about the impending layoffs yet.

I will not waste my breath because the are too pompous to listen to the little people. My advice is to the workers instead. Get your resume in order because layoffs are coming.

Company without direction, jaded top managers who are stuck in print era.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Time

Pros

Office location, immediate colleagues who were smart and hard-working.

Cons

Top managers all come from other media companies or they've been at Time Inc. for close to 10 years. Innovations don't happen when you are stuck with good-old traditional media.

Some people were doing absolutely nothing for the past 5 years, and others were working long hours to cover up for the company, but they don't get rewarded. And these talented colleagues left because the work-life balance was extremely poor.

Constant layoffs without sending company-wide communication. The company hasn't made any new business channels, and the company focus has been cost reduction. Some jobs moved to overseas and employees were working longer hours to make that work.

Stop spending 90% of your work cutting the operational cost. Focus on inventing new business model instead.

Time Inc Circ Promo

I worked at Time

Pros

Worked with a good team.

Cons

As f/lancer, not included in group discussions.

A good company facing lots of challenges

Current Employee - Photo Editor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Photo Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at Time full-time

Pros

The company is working hard to shed its stodgy image and be a modern media company. There are excellent brands to build on.

Cons

Editorial often feels squeezed for resources, and there is lots of uncertainty about the future with seemingly endless rounds of layoffs.

Good company but not so good managers.

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Time

Pros

Super cool culture, Flexible work hours and leave policy.

Cons

Some of the managers and senior managers desperately clinging on to power by not giving any chances to the subordinates.

Weed out the useless managers.

Great perks working there

Former Employee - Finance in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Finance in New York, NY

I worked at Time full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The Summer Fridays were fantastic! They also offered a lot of flexibility, benefits, work/life balance. Also free magazines were available to all employees!

Cons

The compensation was ok, however I felt that there was no movement in my department (aside from lay-offs). After being there for 6 years in the same position it was time for me to leave.

Encourage employees by rewarding them for their hard work during lay offs. Promote from within rather than seeking externally.

Decent co-workers, room for own initiatives.

Current Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Time full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work / life balance, good benefits.

Cons

No bonuses, past couple of years raises are low or on hold.

Had a wonderful experience as a Time Inc. intern.

Current Employee - Programmatic Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Programmatic Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Time as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing work environment, surrounded by amazing people. Great room for personal growth and development.

Cons

The spin-off of Time Inc. has led to some chaos and uncertainty within the company.

Consumer Marketing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Time full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent strategies for operations with a veteran staff who understands the business and care about the products they work on. Excellent benefits and compensation. Average Holiday, but good time off for vacation and sick days.

Cons

Young marketing staff with frequent turnover.

Top management should concentrate on investment in employees. Too much outsourcing of departments that are basically the glue holding the workflow and process together. Best practices will be lost for temporary savings that will be costly in the long run.