Time Warner Cable

Updated Jun 5, 2014

Time Warner Cable Chairman & CEO Robert D. Marcus

Robert D. Marcus

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good benefits. No room for advancement

CSSR (Current Employee)
    Columbia, SC

ProsBenefits such as medical, dental, 401k and tuition reimbursement are good (used to be better).

ConsIt is all about "who you know". Once you get into one position is really hard to move up, unless you know that "special person

Advice to Senior Management"Look at the skills of that person instead of hooking it up with your BFF."

Time Warner Cable overall is a good company; however, there are some unrealistic expectations.

Customer Solutions Agent (Former Employee)
    West Columbia, SC

ProsThere are many incentives and bonus opportunities.

ConsThere seems to be more focus on numbers than on level of service and integrity. It appeared, based on my experience there, that many who were regarded as high performers were not operating with the level of integrity that TWC claims to represent.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith the current compensation structure, there is greater a propensity of improper behaviors and "cheating the system". Consider changing to a higher base with bonus potential based on customer satisfaction perhaps, so that the focus is based on the customer.

Stone Age Management Style Bordering on Abuse

Direct Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Columbia, SC

Prosfree cable, ok health benefits, liberal vacation time (but they won't let you take it unless you meet certain conditions, free parking.

ConsI've been here as a DSR in sales for one year. The managers are a joke. But, what do you expect from door to door salespeople who get promoted to their level of incompetence? Their way of motivating people is scream, threaten, and crack the whip. And if that doesn't work do all three again, but harder. No wonder turnover rate is at 40%. They recently raised their prices beyond the ridiculous. The competition laughs at us. Customers just get insulted when they hear how much we charge. They are losing customers faster than they sign them up. The further up management you go, the more psychotic they get.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop assuming your salespeople are stupid, lazy and dishonest. We know you think that of us; your attitudes make that very clear. Listen to this: You currently do more to hinder sales people than help them. Here is a suggestion: from supervisor on up to director; take a month off. Sales will skyrocket. You people are pathetic.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I feel like a valued member at Time Warner Cable

Customer Care Professional (Current Employee)
    West Columbia, SC

ProsGreat benefits. Fantastic benefits for a healthy future.Many ways to earn more money.

ConsSo far I really cannot think of a negative for working there.

Management is unprofessional

Direct Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Columbia, SC

ProsMedical benefits are ok, nothing special. Time off is, in theory, very generous. In practice they won't let you take it. Parking is good. Direct deposit is nice.

ConsThis is a dishonest company and culture. No ethics whatsoever.

Harassment abounds. If you are a female, look elsewhere. If you like to be treated with respect, look elsewhere. If you are seeking professional guidance in your work, look elsewhere.

If you enjoy being harassed about performance, talked down to, berated over every negative thing they can find, and never congratulated for good work done, you have come to the right place.

They like to promote from within. And who gets promoted to management? The top salespeople. So, TWC loses on both sides. They lose a good salesperson, and gain a manager who knows nothing about how to manage or help their employees. All they know is how to crack the whip.

Advice to Senior ManagementTWC, if you really care (doubtful) stop promoting salespeople into management. They are driving your workforce out the door. Direct salespeople in SC are leaving like rats off a sinking ship. Either start hiring managers to be managers, or start getting serious about training managers in how to motivate and encourage, not berate and beat them down.

Disturbing Culture

Retention Specialist (Former Employee)
    West Columbia, SC

ProsNot many. They do pay well.

ConsThe most unorganized company I have ever worked for. The customers are not the first priorit, the share holder are. The company is fully aware of the short comings of their services and have no intention of improving on them even though they have the ability to do so. I suspect that alot of the billing issues the customers experience are intentional and definetly not a priority to be corrected.

Over all a positive experience

Supervisor, Retail Sales (Former Employee)
    West Columbia, SC

ProsGreat benefits, Lots of leadership training for Supervisors, Solid set of products, Easy to reach out to your boss's boss. Regional Restructuring created a number of advancement opportunities.

ConsI think the company as a whole could do a better job of sticking to their fairly new mission statement and Core Values. Sales positions sometimes have unrealistic goals given location and environmental variables, which makes Middle & Senior Management seem out of touch. I felt that key initiatives changed too often to be able to lead effectively.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communication about Company's direction, One size does not fit all meaning not all markets are the same, nor are all customers, Get back out with the people doing the work (sales, customer service) so you can know what they face and your customers want. Stop thinking short term and the share price of the end of that day, but focused on the share price at the end of the month, and year.

it was an interesting experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    West Columbia, SC

Prosgreat benefits (medical, dental, vision, 401k program), competitive environment, good recognition, big company with opportunities for growth within, excellent training programs

Consno good communication with upper management and employees, high churn rate, low employee morale, job security is questionable, a call center environment with all of it's prejudices

This is an awesome place to work.

West Columbia, SC

ProsThe benefits are awesome. Video at a discount, HSD free, and phone at a discount. Medical, Vision, & Dental at great rates to the employee.

ConsOffice politics are the worse. Gossip from co-workers. Management tries to nip it in the bud, but they can't stop all of it.

Run away Screaming into the night

Project Specialist One (Former Employee)
    Columbia, SC

ProsIts a sit down job, in the air condition, some of the employes are cool. and they have lots of food there and you get free cable services.

ConsYou are forced to make a 5% sales goal, but you are not put into the sales que, You are expected to make this goal even if the customer is satisfied with his or her services. You are expected to push the sale regardless.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to work on going back to the way things used to be done. Focus on the Customer and not the bottom line. When I started there seven years ago, it was customer first, last and always. Now its a bunch of clowns that is only interested in forcing a sale.

Worked for Time Warner Cable? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Time Warner Cable reviews and ratings in Columbia, SC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Time Warner Cable CEO Robert D. Marcus. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Time Warner Cable employees.