Timegate Studios

Timegate Studios Reviews in Sugar Land, TX

2.1

Adel Chaveleh

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Not Much to Complain About.

Current Employee - Employee  in  Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Employee in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Timegate Studios full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Laid back atmosphere.
    - Coworkers are the nicest and most helpful people anyone could hope to work with.
    - Despite what some say, management really tries to come up with ways to keep everyone happy, with surprise activities, free soda/gourmet coffee/dinner, pitchfest, social activities, etc.
    - Competitive pay. IMO, slightly higher than industry when taking in to account the cost of living in Houston.

Cons

- Senior management has unrealistic expectations considering Timegate's status in the industry. Because of that, their attitude seems to be "my way or the highway".

To upper management-

First off, come to work. When you are out of the office as many days as you are in, it gives off the message that you don't want to be there, you don't care about the success of the projects, you expect the employees to work harder/care more than you, and that you're just there for the paycheck. If you do happen to come in, try and make it for more than a couple of hours. 12:00 - 4:00 does not count.

To mid-upper management-

Reality check. Despite what you think it WILL hurt you to lose us. Considering the fact that no one in senior management has ever had a job outside of Timegate, and they really don't have any talent, accomplishments, or skills aside from years ofecterience which ultimately led to their high-ranking titles. Coming in on a weekend during crunch time to ask what you can do to help (or just being seen trying to help) would go a lot further than dropping off food.

To job hunters-
    If you are a self-motivated worker, then Timegate is the perfect place to work. If you get your work done, you can pretty much do whatever you want. If you're the type that needs constant direction, recognition and validation (like the other Timegate Glassdoor reviewers) you will most likely end up unhappy.

Extremely Poor Management and Low Morale

Former Employee - Game Designer  in  Sugar Land, TX
    Former Employee - Game Designer in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at Timegate Studios full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

* Because turnover is so high, it was relatively easy to get promoted quickly
    * Free soda in the breakroom and "free" dinner if you work overtime

Cons

* Management is incompetent and refuse to try to improve themselves. Instead, they push all blame onto the employees and others.
    * The company mantra is "process over people" and they view all employees as replaceable. One underpaid employee was even told after asking for more money that they should "be thankful they just have a job in this economy".
    * Turnover was approximately 50% annually, which is extremely damaging to the dynamic of the team.
    * Positive feedback is nearly impossible to receive unless a process was done "correctly" (even if the end result was bad).
    * The company is constantly in legal disputes with other companies and is often accused of being fraudulent.
    * Mostly entry level employees are hired (cheaply), which can be fine, but there's little to no training after they join.

* Take some responsibility for yourself and realize that almost every manager underneath you mimics your management style, which hurts the company greatly.
    * Please don't give yourself $45k bonuses and continue to fly first class and stay in Presidential suites after the company lays off employees.

Only good for getting into the industry. Nothing else.

Former Employee - Employee  in  Sugar Land, TX
    Former Employee - Employee in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at Timegate Studios full-time for more than a year

Pros

-The devs. Best and most talented group of people I have ever worked with. If it wasn't for them I would have left long ago.

Cons

-Upper management.
        -No one ever knows anything until a decision is made. No dev input whatsoever.
        -Majority of management have only worked at TG. Only know the "TG" way.
        -If you criticize anything you are ostracized and let go.
        -Kill any chance of there being a "culture". If it wasn't their idea to begin with, it isn't happening.
    -Have to uproot your life and come to Houston? Don't. There are no other studios nearby and they are notorious for laying off staff in droves. You will have to relocate yourself again.
    -Moved one dev across the country only to offer them a position that does not involve making video games. (offered position with a sister company) Game industry pay but not making games...
    -Unless they dump upper management they will always create mediocre products.

Unless you are in dire need of a job or really wanting to get your foot in the door avoid this studio.

Open the floor up and let the studio in. Only coming forth when you are announcing something or laying a ton of people off is not acceptable. You will only continue making mediocre products and word of mouth will continue to be "the guys that made section 8 and the hack job Aliens game".

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Only good for getting your foot in the door, if that.

Former Employee - Designer  in  Sugar Land, TX
    Former Employee - Designer in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at Timegate Studios full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free soda.
    Free dinner if you work late.
    Sugar Land is a great city to live in.
    They promote from within often because of high turn over.

Cons

Pay is terrible.
    This is a production run studio, and what they say goes.
    Departments don't collaborate much with each other, as it isn't encouraged.
    Play tests aren't important to the studio (though they say otherwise).
    Constantly left in the dark about studio progress and development until something good happens.
    They hire cheap "talent" over actual talent.

Just be open to the employees about what's going on. Don't cover up the fact that the studio is struggling to find income.

Let the design team run things and stop promoting QA to fill positions that they aren't qualified for.

Good days and long days

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Timegate Studios

Pros

-Free soda!
    -Free lunch and dinner!
    -Great coworkers
    -Get to make video games!

Cons

-Crunch time
    -Communication could be better

Wasted Potential

Former Employee - Web Developer  in  Sugar Land, TX
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at Timegate Studios

Pros

Overall talented peers and individuals - artists, designers and programmers alike
    Free beverages
    Due to the turnover rate, one takes on new roles and responsibilities quickly

Cons

Management needs anger management, I've personally been threatened 5 times with HR write ups for missing deadlines on tasks that were to my knowledge completed. His attitude successfully robs you of any sense of accomplishment, so it feels very much like a Death March week to week, iteration to iteration. I'm already past burn out.
    Policy enforcement seems very here-say and voluntary, especially when Management violates the same Policies it enforces - still not out of the woods from that. Or when conflicting to policy orders come from the President himself, such as pushing out marketing changes to the sites and portals.
    The salary no longer satisfies the 50-60 hour work weeks and the level of drama as of day-to-day.

My folks once told me, if you can't speak in a constructive, positive, or polite and respectful tone, don't speak at all.

The TimeGate Way

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sugar Land, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at Timegate Studios

Pros

* Overall, full of very talented and intelligent people
    * Friendly and helpful coworkers
    * A great place to learn (always new challenges to solve)
    * Great location

Cons

* Very production and email heavy (process over people)
    * Lots of bottlenecks in the day-to-day process (very little trust placed in developers)
    * Purposefully little project visibility/direction given out
    * Direct communication to other departments is prohibited

I think TimeGate would do better if it went back to being a small company making amazing expansions or smaller titles. I don't think they currently have the right process in place for making AAA titles. As a result of this flawed process, I've seen an exceedingly high turnover rate and overall dissatisfaction among the employees. Instead of addressing the problem, the process has simply been updated to account for a high turnover rate. This is not how you keep your talented individuals (of which, there are still many), or how you ship AAA titles.

To their credit, I must say that I wouldn't be at the level I am now if it weren't for this great company. I wish TimeGate the best of luck on its next title, and salute each and every one of the amazing people still there, working their asses off.

Not a good place to be for long

Former Employee - 3D Artist  in  Sugar Land, TX
    Former Employee - 3D Artist in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at Timegate Studios

Pros

-Work along side creative and passionate coworkers.
    -Laid back atmosphere amongst employees
    -General low cost of living within the area

Cons

-Low employee morale.
    -Poor salaries and benefits. Worst I've ever seen in the industry.
    -Over micromanagement. Way too many producers for such a small studio. On a given day, more management updating and task management is done than actual development work by employees.
    -Upper management is out of touch with its employees and fails to recognize their faults.
    -Turnover rate is high, it's actually a goal to get out of there eventually.
    -The passionate, creative, and talented individuals, (even the senior level), are inhibited and suppressed by the management. The general attitude is to break the employees down to demonstrate superiority of upper management.
    -Management has a heightened sense of position within the industry.

-Keep the owner out of the development process. The only thing he did was bring morale down and belittle others to increase his self esteem.
    -Trust your employees. Let them do good work. Keep them on track of course, but let them do what you hired them to do.
    -Pay your employees what they're worth.
    -Less production staff and more development staff will increase the quality of your titles and in the end, increase the sales of your products.
    -Recognize that TimeGate isn't competing as a AAA studio, adjust the scope and expectation of the projects, and the quality will rise as well as the studio's renown.

Nothing nice to say. :(

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Timegate Studios

Pros

* Opportunities to pick up a lot of skills very quickly. (As a result of getting thrust into a bunch of different roles without much say in the matter.)
    * Able to work with interesting (and young) people.
    * Free drinks and 'free' dinner when you work an extra two hours each night.

Cons

* Management and process overload. Upper management is so convinced in the necessity for 'process' and 'protocol' that they can't see when it doesn't work and why it breaks down so easily.
    * Asinine minutiae: I've actually been yelled at for using a '/' instead of a '-' when typing a date out. Our corporate parent is some tight-assed healthcare company which burns through employees faster than we do, so we get a lot of our straight-laced nonsense from them.
    * Involuntary voluntary overtime - they can't *force* us to work 9a-9p, but the messaging is very clear: If you're not here, you're lazy and we'll fire you the moment we can.
    * Sycophants get ahead by filling seats, brown nosing with the bosses, and shadowing them.
    * God help you if you want to change anything. There's a very strong 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' mentality despite upper management's 'claims' of striving for continuous improvement.
    * The whole place feels like it's designed to churn through people like a machine. Get some kid fresh out of school, pay him an insulting salary, burn him out, then fire him and cite 'laziness' or 'a bad attitude'
    * You work far more than you're compensated for. I've known people at other studios to do one fifth of what an AP or Concept Artists here does and get paid 1.5-2x as much.
    * The production people who aren't senior look depressed every day and always have their heads down. it's depressing
    * Morale is low and they try to buy us off with token 'employee of the month' programs where people get (and I wish I was kidding) nerf guns as prizes
    * The company owners have a love affair with Blizzard's website and copy it whenever possible. Just open the new TimeGate site and Blizzard's home site in facing windows and see.

The single biggest piece of advice I can give to upper management is this: Take the power away from the brothers who run TimeGate and its parent company, Healix. They have no idea what makes a good game and they routinely run roughshod over anyone who speaks out and I've even heard they told the creative director 'Don't forget who signs your paychecks.' when he objected one of their particularly asinine 'requests.' (Design mandates, in other words.)

Also, it'd help to abandon the notion that TimeGate is a AAA studio. They aren't and they never will be. They're mid-grade at best and so long as they think they can make the next Halo or CoD, their products will always be rushed out, half-complete messes.

Overall Very Satisfied

Current Employee - Production  in  Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Production in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Timegate Studios

Pros

laid-back atmosphere, top projects to work on.

Cons

time constraints can be pretty hectic.

Overall, the system works for me and glad I work here.

Worked for Timegate Studios? Contribute to the Community!