Times Publishing Co.

Updated June 17, 2014
Updated June 17, 2014
3.6

Paul C. Tash

Newspapers are failing becuase they missed the opportunity to bring themselves out of the dark ages 25 years ago.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Times Publishing Co.

Pros

The quality of the news reports are excellent.

Cons

Management does not respect or care about workers at the low end of pay the scale. Approximately 60% of total compensation goes to upper management. It is an organization that does like change. It is best to do as you are told and forget about expressing your opinion. If you do express your opinion and disagree with the establishment , it will cost you in the end.

Get rid of your middle managers that "brow beat" the employees.

Advertising Sales Rep-Outside

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Times Publishing Co. full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Company Values, Work/Life Balance, People, Integrity, Largest Newspaper in the Southeast, Bonus Structure, CEO, and upper management, flexibility and freedom, vacation.

Cons

Base salary, my direct sales manager led by fear, and was a bully, benefits are awful, they do not match 401K, no REAL training programs, no way to move up nor make more money, set unrealistic goals making it near impossible to make your numbers, no territory change over, always stuck with same old territory, award winning was political, and the same old people always won. Lots of turn-over with sales reps because unrealistic goals and low base salaries, and poor compensation on gas. Layoffs and loss of pay several times.

Make sure the sales managers are providing a atmosphere that is encouraging and motivating. Managing with fear tactics doesn't work. Create a development program so that there is something to aspire to be, and you will keep good talent. Figure out a way to increase the base salary at least into the low 40's.

Good company to start your career

Current Employee - Webmaster  in  Erie, PA
    Current Employee - Webmaster in Erie, PA

I have been working at Times Publishing Co. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Small company - you get to know almost everyone
    Opportunities to learn about how your role in the company affects the business as a whole

Cons

Not a lot of opportunities to advance
    Understaffed in many areas - IT, newsroom, marketing to be specific

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Times Publishing Co.

I have been working at Times Publishing Co.

Pros

The Staff is very helpful to new people. Great room for advancement, My first month there I was offered another job but declined to continue working up the department I am assigned too.

Cons

Staffer turnover rate is high partly because they will not start anyone full-time. The department I am in starts new people at 18 hours, but after you "prove" yourself a 1000 hour spot should be no problem.

Great Place for an Internship

Former Employee - Editorial  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editorial in New York, NY

I worked at Times Publishing Co.

Pros

As an intern, you can be given a lot of responsibility and opportunities to prove yourself. Also, upper-level employees are very supportive and willing to share career information and advice. One of the best features of the summer internship program is the speaker series, when various people from different magazines and positions within the company at large come and tell the inter class about their career paths, what's going on in the industry, and how to achieve what they've achieved. Another nice aspect of working at Time Inc seems to be that once you're within the company, it's fairly easy to move around between different brands.

Cons

This is the case in most of the magazine industry, but obviously the pay isn't amazing at the lower levels.

None

Worked for Times Publishing Co.? Contribute to the Community!