Timken

Timken Reviews in Canton, OH

Updated Jun 1, 2014

Timken President, CEO, and Director James W. Griffith

James W. Griffith

Pros
  • Pay and benefits are competitive and the upper management is very conservative with money(in 8 reviews)

• Very strong core values of ethics and integrity, quality, innovation, and independence(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management leads by threats, intimidation, and filthy language(in 4 reviews)

• Not sure if upper management will ever come out of glass bubble and recognize all employees are part of the same team(in 4 reviews)

41 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

a good working experience at Timken

Metallographer (Current Employee) Canton, OH

ProsA professional work environment with plenty of opportunity for growth.

Consi have nothing negative to say

A company deeply rooted in its core values and highly recognized as one of the top US 100 ethical companies.

Sales Engineer (Current Employee) Canton, OH

ProsAs an intern I learned a lot in a couple different corporate departments and the pay was awesome! Overall, had a really great experience in the summer internship program.
    Now as a full-time salaried associate, I receive a wonderul benefits package and some great perks because I am in sales.
    The company is a very good ethical place to work!
    The new headquarters building in North Canton, OH is outstanding! Much better than the older office buildings.

ConsThere are too many "policies" and legal hoops that have to be overcome in order to get some things done.
    Most projects tend to take much longer than originally estimated.
    The office environment does not promote collaboration. The office is VERY quiet and if it weren't for the low cubicle walls you wouldn't know anyone was there working.
    Many times, the excuse as to why things are not done differently is "We have always done it this way and it works." So no real interest (on average) of people trying to work "smarter not harder".

worst 3 years of my life

Water Blast Operator (Former Employee) Canton, OH

Prosbig paycheck, excellant benefits, perks working a 4 turn, 7 days on, no time on the weekends for family

Conspoor training, lack off supervision, supervisors and middle management, do anything to pass the blame on to the workers, machines break down constantly management on you constantly, have to be a maintenance man want machines running 24 seven

Advice to Senior Managementupper management a joke always on you for more production

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Traditional company leading with innovation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Canton, OH

ProsInnovative R&D, strong steel business and other international segments. Great place for getting global exposure.

ConsLarge company can be difficult to navigate and complete projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement does a good job of promoting within, they should continue that.

Great place, great people

IT Intern (Former Employee) North Canton, OH

Prosgreat work place, open door policy. AMAZING intern program

Consdidn't have an open position after internship was over

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work, try to create at least one open position graduating interns

30 years a maintenance person

Mechanical Maintainer (Former Employee) Canton, OH

ProsGood people to work with great pay.

Consbottom to middle management is lost , they all have their degrees but are moved around so much they don't try to make improvements . if your not in the circle you not going anywhere , I've been at fsp for 5years and have not seen my plant manager once !

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiding problems from upper management .

A company that is being forced to grow up.

Principal (Current Employee) Canton, OH

ProsCompany can provide interesting work and challenges to employees who are willing to work hard.

Company does provide excellent training and educational benefits to employees to help them with their work and careers.

ConsToo much politics from the top of the organization down.

There are some good people in middle and upper management positions, but most of the people should not be in those roles and simply got into those positions because they are a member of Timken's "old boys' network".

The company does not do enough to retain good talent or provide good upward mobility. Succession planning is only done for top positions, but not mid-management levels.

With the forced upcoming split of the company, most employees are told what positions they are going into and do not have the ability to have a say in whether they will go into bearing or steel and what they will do. Some do not even know what their titles or salaries will be when they are forced to work in steel.

The company does not rid of employees who behave unethically. Their helpline, organizational advancement / HR and ethics departments are useless.

Advice to Senior ManagementRid of bad management and bad employees and replace them with those are able and willing to do things right.

Become more transparent and straight forward with people.

Walk the talk when it comes to a poor attempt at ethics.

Solid, ethical manufacturing company

Strategic Intelligence Specialist (Current Employee) Canton, OH

ProsFinancially stable company who invests a lot in the local community and who is known for brand quality. Hard work is rewarded.

ConsOld-school management style; extremely conservative culture; recent activist investor actions have shaped company strategy.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace change and adapt with the times.

20 years solid, but declining since 2009

Corporate, Salary (Current Employee) Canton, OH

ProsLots of great people committed to making the company successful.

ConsLeadership that mostly cares about themselves

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage employees, they want to contribute if you allow it.

Given lots of responsibility and opportunities to learn new skills.

IT Intern (Current Employee) Canton, OH

ProsThe reputation Timken has from the outside is exactly what you will find on the inside. Ethics is number one here.

ConsThe recent company split may make the next few years a confusing time to be at Timken.

Worked for Timken? Contribute to the Community!