Timken

Timken Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Timken President, CEO, and Director James W. Griffith

James W. Griffith

Pros
  • Pay and benefits are competitive and the upper management is very conservative with money(in 8 reviews)

• Very strong core values of ethics and integrity, quality, innovation, and independence(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management leads by threats, intimidation, and filthy language(in 4 reviews)

• Not sure if upper management will ever come out of glass bubble and recognize all employees are part of the same team(in 4 reviews)

Good company

ProsGreat company! 12 hours on 3-4 days 2-3 days off

ConsNone really. I would say everyone there is great

Advice to Senior ManagementGet off your high horse

a good working experience at Timken

Metallographer (Current Employee) Canton, OH

ProsA professional work environment with plenty of opportunity for growth.

Consi have nothing negative to say

Not a place to develop your career

Machinist (Current Employee) Manchester, CT

ProsFellow coworkers are nice.
    Easy to get to.

ConsMiddle management leads by threats, intimidation, and filthy language.
    Upper management doesn't seem to understand the product and how it's made.
    Overall the place is dirty, old, and the equipment is antiquated.
    While the website talks about taking classes and advancing there is little to no chance if you are a production worker.

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst, understand making transmissions is not the same as making bearings. Second, go through the management ranks and kick out the dead wood.

I'd also recommend people start to think rather than rely on an outdated database to tell them when to order/move parts - update your technology or go back to paper. Also, you have some very smart people on the production floor - use them as a resource, give them a chance to grow and contribute, show them some respect and throw them a bone now and then. FYI, the chance to pay for a company tee shirt is not a bonus.

Finally, ditch the term "Organizational Advancement." We are people - humans who are a resource. Treat us as such. The term OA is demeaning.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good local company

ProsThe company is local to me, has good values, and stays true to its heritage.

ConsIt takes a while to make a name and make career progression.

Industry Leader. Metric Driven.

Sales Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsGreat people to work with. Immediate peers and extended associate relationships keep me here. Leadership making sound acquisitions and managing a consistent global business plan that transformed company from an historic bottom quartile to top ten percent performer vs similar companies. High quality products. Acquired product lines provide competitive differentiated value. Ethics and integrity permeate the culture.

ConsExtensive reporting. Much content duplicated. Combined with work force reduction, translates into long workdays and weekend hours. Metric driven: anticipate a demanding environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementSAP implementation contributed to improved process control and overall efficiency related to supply chain, manufacturing, and related order management. It cannot and will never replace gaps in backend support. Hours required to keep up with extensive reporting and documentation compromise the capability to achieve superior performance in associates' primary job functions. Ensure that a pipeline of capable professionals are being trained to replace retirees, especially in the field.

Traditional company leading with innovation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Canton, OH

ProsInnovative R&D, strong steel business and other international segments. Great place for getting global exposure.

ConsLarge company can be difficult to navigate and complete projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement does a good job of promoting within, they should continue that.

Great place, great people

IT Intern (Former Employee) North Canton, OH

Prosgreat work place, open door policy. AMAZING intern program

Consdidn't have an open position after internship was over

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work, try to create at least one open position graduating interns

Fantastic internship experience!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe culture is amazing and the pay is very competitive! I interned for 1 summer and would go back to the company at anytime!

ConsThere aren't really any downside beside the fact that the coffee is not free. Not a surprise because it is a manufacturing company.

Overall, my experience with Timken was very positive. I was given room to grow and flourish and move my way up.

Manager Business Economics & Supply Chain (Former Employee) Altavista, VA

ProsPay and benefits are competitive and the upper management is very conservative with money. Good people at local plant level.

ConsLong hours at times, auto segment very stressful and driven to make some decisions which were not in the long term best interest of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember the people are the most important asset. Don't just say it, live it. Don't discount someone who has been there for a long time. They are valuable assets who deserve your praise and admiration.

30 years a maintenance person

Mechanical Maintainer (Former Employee) Canton, OH

ProsGood people to work with great pay.

Consbottom to middle management is lost , they all have their degrees but are moved around so much they don't try to make improvements . if your not in the circle you not going anywhere , I've been at fsp for 5years and have not seen my plant manager once !

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiding problems from upper management .

Worked for Timken? Contribute to the Community!