Timken

Timken Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Timken President, CEO, and Director James W. Griffith

James W. Griffith

Pros:
  • "Timken has a total rewards philosophy embracing competitive pay and benefits"
    in 7 reviews
  • "They are very understanding about a work/life balance (at least the managers I worked for were)"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Not sure if upper management will ever come out of glass bubble and recognize all employees are part of the same team"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Middle management leads by threats, intimidation, and filthy language"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company and great people, but conservative and resistant to change.

Communications Manager (Former Employee)

ProsEthical Company

Resistance to Change
Ultra Conservative
Segmented Business Strategies
Desire to outsource all IT work to India

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are really good people at Timken, but the company needs to realize that the world outside is shifting from traditional brick and mortal principals and adjust accordingly. New technology is looked at with serious skepticism by some in the company. While some people get excited about opportunities that investment in technology brings, other downright say it's a waste of time as it's not the "way I do things". So far, Timken has not needed to change it's way of business because it has such a good product and good people. I wonder how long that can continue to sustain them?

Never know when the other shoe would drop

Production Associate (Former Employee)
Bucyrus, OH

I worked at Timken

ProsThe pay was excellent, until they lowered the scale for new hires. A lot of the associates are friendly and fun to work with...just beware of the gossips!

ConsNever told (honestly) what is going on...told to meet certain objectives and everything would be ok...we did, and they still closed Distribution Center, eliminating hundreds of jobs

Advice to Senior ManagementSuck it up and tell people the honest truth, even if it hurts...we are grown-ups here. Treat us like it if you want respect.

Where you turn..... when there is no one else left

Machinist (Former Employee)
Keene, NH

I worked at Timken

ProsFor the area the pay is ok, with limited skills needed to get in the door.

ConsThey used to have a really good tuition reimbursement program, now they have regulated it to the point where managers control who gets it and who doesn't. No room for growth or advancement. Good job, bad career.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake decisions.... Timken as a whole is a good corporation to work for, but the Keene facility needs to be restructured as there is too much middle management doing busy work.

Discouraging, long hours, massive lay-offs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Timken

ProsOne of the largest employers in the area
If you have the right degree, there can be multiple career options
Decent benefits

ConsBiased management, focus was always on reducing costs with no element of caring about people's lives. Economic downturn served as reason to cut pay, bonus, benefits, and 401k. Just 18 months later they posted biggest profit ever. Amazing.

Advice to Senior ManagementConduct an employee opinion survey, determine which managers treat employees well and which managers are causing turnover of good people.

Great Opportunity

Organizational Manager - Human Resources Manager (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Timken

ProsLack of experience of management

ConsUnion minded, policies reflect union enviroment even when not a union.

Well Recognized Manufacturing Company - Miserable Working Conditions.

Principal Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Timken

ProsA stable company that will be around for years to come. Although there was a lot of talk that the recession hit Timken business units hard and hence the reason for the massive layoffs in 2008 and 2009, Timken was never in any trouble at all. The layoffs were unnecessary and so were the forced furloughs that remaining employees had to endure (forced working days without pay). For years they had talked about reducing headcount to pre-year 2000 levels and used the recession as a reason to do so. The company now runs lean and mean. It's a recognized name. The company has properly positioned itself in key business lines which will require Timken specific products for decades to come. It's stock is proof that it is solid.

ConsThere's little room for advancement other than a few small pay jumps. Most people stay at the same or near same level all the way through their career. Job titles are meaningless - they make them and eliminate them, just about any movement is "lateral" ... same pay, same responsibilities, different title. Management is hired from outside the company, so forget about the old days when you would rise through the ranks. To be a manager you have to be hired in as a manager. Same with education. If you are hired in with a, Associates Degree, BA or BS, if you get a Masters later on while working at Timken ... it won't help you either in advancement nor pay increase. You have to come in already with a Masters or PhD to get those salary levels. The medical benefits have steadily declined and gotten worse over the last 4 years. The good ol' boy network is still alive at Timken. Make sure you find and pony up with the "right people" when you're first hired or you will go nowhere. Keep good ideas to yourself, the business ethics internally at Timken are basically non-existent ... colleagues will and do poach each others' ideas and present them to management as their own in hopes of getting brownie points. And if you have a family with young children ... this is not the company for you. As I was told my first day, Timken comes first ... always. Your family life is a distant second. You will take work home. You will work weekends and holidays uncompensated. You will schedule your family's life around the needs of Timken. In this economy, Timken has no problem getting rid of those who do not adhere to this policy in the morning and having them replaced with someone else by lunchtime. In Canton, Ohio - Timken's will is law and Ohio is an AT WILL state. TImken can be a very hostile work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementTimken Management, for the 20+ years I have worked for TKR, has never been even remotely the best. The latest crop of managers are ones who don't even know the core products we make any more. They came out of business schools or financial firms and most have never seen the plant floor, let alone how a Bearing is assembled, Tube pierced, or how a Steel ingot is formed. Their office policy is a closed door Stanford School of Management policy - basically they tell you to jump and you ask how high on the way up. Question them, they won't come outright and reprimand you for doing so. Instead, they'll get you when you least expect it months later. Too much favoritism, nepotism, and an astounding lack of business ethics. CEO Jim Griffith simply looks the other way as long as investor dividends keep up with expectations.

Eventually the entire company will be located in India

Sales Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Timken

ProsGood benefits and they try to treat customers very ethically. Some of the greatest Engineering minds in America work here. They make some of America's best steel through long term experience.

ConsTimken is 20 years behind the times - but they are catching up slowly. Any job that can be moved to India either has moved or is going to be moved. They complain about foreign companies dumping bearings into their USA market but then they move jobs to China and India.

Advice to Senior ManagementJim Griffith - if you keep moving al the jobs to India, eventually you will have to move there yourself or perhaps they could just hire someone from there at a greatly reduced salary to replace you.

Senior Sales Engineer

Senior Sales Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Timken

Prosflexible hours, responsibilities, car, bonus, epense account

ConsHours, travel at poor times, responsibility, pressure.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen reducing the work force, remember to pay those who are still there fairly for taking on the role of 2 or more people.

So far, so good

I have been working at Timken

ProsI haven't been there long, but so far it's been a great environment. Learning and development are encouraged and managers try to make sure employees they find roles for employees that ensure they are challenged. I've sought out new opportunities within my role and haven't had any trouble getting them. I've been given a lot of responsibility, which I really like and which has given me exposure to upper level management as well.

Since the company is so large, there are plenty of opportunities to move around among different functional areas. In fact, that's encouraged because it makes a more well-rounded employee. Managers are supportive of these types of moves, or stretch assignments. I have found there is always an open dialogue about what I want in my career and what type of support I will need in order to get it. I feel very supported.

ConsCommunication could be better. The company is very conservative, so some areas of the business feel that they haven't been told about certain issues. The management team likes to keep things quiet, but as an employee, I would rather have a full understanding of what is going on so I feel more connected with the company.

In addition, since the company is so conservative, I've found that the culture isn't very diverse. At least that's what I've found in my building. I would prefer to find myself in an environment that is more culturally and ethnically diverse since that could lead to more well-rounded perspectives in decision-making processes.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to have more open communication with the employees. The more information employees have, the better they understand how their jobs fit within the business and, usually, the better they perform.

Try to place more focus on recruiting for a more diverse work-place.

Face time seems to be valued a lot. I value working smarter, not harder, so it can be frustrating that many employees work from home after the work day ends or over the weekend. It's also frustrating that that behavior is expected. Try to place more emphasis on efficient work rather than time spent on the work - you will attract better employees that way.

Still rolling along

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Timken

ProsChallenging work, striving for growth, ethics and integrity

ConsIn the quest for growth, has lost touch with the "human side" of the business. Feel more like a purchased asset vs a valued member of a team.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople are at the root of your success. Get back in touch with your people.

Worked for Timken? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Timken reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Timken CEO James W. Griffith. All 103 reviews posted anonymously by Timken employees.