Timmons Group Reviews

Brian Bortell, PE

1. Good company; average pay

Current Employee - Geospatial Applications Developer in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Geospatial Applications Developer in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Timmons Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to work on good exciting projects; great peers

Cons

The pay is average and this may lead to attrition for a great company Timmons is..

2. Good company to work for.

Current Employee - Technician
    Current Employee - Technician

I have been working at Timmons Group

Pros

Great people to work with, good communication from the top management at the monthly meetings. Interesting projects.

Cons

Diversity is lacking. Old white men that lack respect for younger employees, especially women. Many times "boys club" has been used to describe some of the events that are sponsored.

Advice to Management

Needs diversity training.

3. Unbelievable

Current Employee - Party Chief in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Party Chief in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Timmons Group

Pros

Exceptional coworkers to work with. Good pay and benefits.

Cons

Get it in writing. Don't move, especially long distance, on the promise of a job. I moved 800 miles for three years of work and was out of work in 2 months because they lost the contract.

Advice to Management

Get better survey managers.

Fun company with opportunity to work on interesting projects.

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Timmons Group

Pros

Interesting projects, management is fair, great work-life balance. I really enjoy the company events and have met some great people.

Cons

Communication across offices was a technological challenge but has gotten better in last few months. Also, the free coffee is awful, I recommend getting into a Keurig club with one of the groups.

Advice to Management

I like the amount of information that is shared at the lunch sessions. Please continue.

6. Great people and tremendous opportunities

Current Employee - Principal in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Principal in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Timmons Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Timmons Group is full of great people working on exciting projects. It is a values-based business with a focus on growth but within a family-friendly work environment. Folks work hard to meet the needs and goals of our clients, taking a lot of pride in the work they accomplish. At the same time, we offer flexible work hours and encourage our employees to develop a healthy balance between their work responsibilities and those at home.

Cons

Our branch offices are on the small side, and most of the managers at the corporate office are many years away from retirement, so there may be a perception of limited (individual) growth opportunities.

Philosophy of mutual success with heavy emphasis on life balance = Great Company

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Timmons Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My tenure with Timmons Group has weathered several economic downturns, leadership changes, and the same ups and downs as most companies likely have experienced. While no company is perfect, I believe that Timmons Group is truly one of the best companies I could have possibly chosen to work for. Corporately, there is a really strong blend of service offerings that keep the business financially stable and successful. Personally and professionally, I believe that TG is a great place for folks who are career oriented but are also looking to have some balance between work and family. I have always found Timmons Group to be focused on client satisfaction, which in turn has made the company financially stable, which has in turn enabled people like me to thrive professionally as well as personally. I believe that most people here generally like to work here, and many long standing friendships and relationships have been developed as a byproduct of the great company culture. I am very proud and grateful to be part of the Timmons Group family.

Cons

I do not have much to say that could be considered negative. I think employees "get what they give" at Timmons Group. Mutual success is a byproduct of performance - if someone is the type of employee that expects immediate reward and gratification as a condition of hard work, they may be disappointed here. Work hard and get rewarded - it's a simple equation that has work for the best and most successful companies and their employees for a long time.

Advice to Management

I would continue to focus on open communication, community involvement, and employee recognition. One of the cool things that happened recently was a video contest put out to employees to describe why Timmons Group was a great place to work. Not only did the company reward participation (financially), they REALLY reward those folks that were selected by their peers as for best videos. I think a company is really well sized to do these types of things - things that pull people together and make them feel like valued. It's good business practice.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Project Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Timmons Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very interesting projects. Timmons Group is involved in every type of project. Schools, hospitals, subdivisions, local projects, national projects, civil engineering, surveying, GIS/ software development, environmental projects, water and waste water projects, transportation, etc . . . I love the fact that i have had an opportunity to be involved in so many different types of projects. They are a values based leadership company and i really appreciate that they care about the employees.

Cons

They have a "work hard, play hard" mentality and have high expectations of everyone. This may not be for everyone. If you are looking for a 9-5 job, probably not the place for you.

Advice to Management

The president/ceo of the company (Brian Bortell) spends tons of time meeting with employees to get their input/thoughts, having lunches to inform everyone about what is going on, being a cheerleader at company events, keeping everyone focused on the company mission. my advice - keep it up.

Civil Engineer

Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Timmons Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Love working at Timmons Group. They are very focused on employees, provide excellent training, lots of great events like company golf, monthly socials where they recognize individuals. Top management does a great job of letting everyone know what is going on with the company, company financials, providing yearly raises and profit sharing at the end of each year. Very community focused and interesting and diverse projects to work on.

Cons

Seems like Timmons Group is involved in every significant project in the RVA area. I have had my friends ask me about a project (like Amazon) and i did not know we were working on it until it hit the papers. I think upper management has some restrictions on being able to tell us about some projects until they area announced. Great to be involved in them. I bet we will played a role in Stone Brewery coming to town as well.

Advice to Management

Great job. Keep doing what you are doing.

10. Interesting job with work environment changing daily.

Former Employee - GIS Field Technician in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - GIS Field Technician in Richmond, VA

I worked at Timmons Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked independently surveying. Worked 10 hour days, so Friday's were always free. Resume booster.

Cons

Led on to believe there was a office position after project ended (8 month duration), there wasn't. Compensation was rough - 40 hours a week every week, but only part time employee - no benefits.

Advice to Management

Project Manager wasn't clear in his training of the field techs. He changed surveying collection details 4 months into the project.

Great place to work with amazing people!

I have been working at Timmons Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Timmons Group is an amazing place to spend your days. The people are amazing. The work is fun. Leadership while not perfect does their best to create a great employment experience. We enjoy what we do each day and who we do it with. From free goodies at 12 days of Christmas, the frequent free lunch events, wii tournaments, Kudos, and many other events there is never a dull moment! The flexibility to have a career and a family is amazing! One of the reasons I am still here.

Cons

Timmons is open to feedback and leadership wants to hear you and make changes. So when there is a con it is taken care of.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

RSS Feed </> Embed