Timmons Group Reviews

3.6

Brian Bortell, PE

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Project Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Timmons Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very interesting projects. Timmons Group is involved in every type of project. Schools, hospitals, subdivisions, local projects, national projects, civil engineering, surveying, GIS/ software development, environmental projects, water and waste water projects, transportation, etc . . . I love the fact that i have had an opportunity to be involved in so many different types of projects. They are a values based leadership company and i really appreciate that they care about the employees.

Cons

They have a "work hard, play hard" mentality and have high expectations of everyone. This may not be for everyone. If you are looking for a 9-5 job, probably not the place for you.

The president/ceo of the company (Brian Bortell) spends tons of time meeting with employees to get their input/thoughts, having lunches to inform everyone about what is going on, being a cheerleader at company events, keeping everyone focused on the company mission. my advice - keep it up.

Civil Engineer

Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Timmons Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Love working at Timmons Group. They are very focused on employees, provide excellent training, lots of great events like company golf, monthly socials where they recognize individuals. Top management does a great job of letting everyone know what is going on with the company, company financials, providing yearly raises and profit sharing at the end of each year. Very community focused and interesting and diverse projects to work on.

Cons

Seems like Timmons Group is involved in every significant project in the RVA area. I have had my friends ask me about a project (like Amazon) and i did not know we were working on it until it hit the papers. I think upper management has some restrictions on being able to tell us about some projects until they area announced. Great to be involved in them. I bet we will played a role in Stone Brewery coming to town as well.

Great job. Keep doing what you are doing.

Great place to work with amazing people!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Timmons Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Timmons Group is an amazing place to spend your days. The people are amazing. The work is fun. Leadership while not perfect does their best to create a great employment experience. We enjoy what we do each day and who we do it with. From free goodies at 12 days of Christmas, the frequent free lunch events, wii tournaments, Kudos, and many other events there is never a dull moment! The flexibility to have a career and a family is amazing! One of the reasons I am still here.

Cons

Timmons is open to feedback and leadership wants to hear you and make changes. So when there is a con it is taken care of.

Keep doing what you are doing!

Great people make a great company

Current Employee - Project Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Timmons Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Timmons Group has been a fantastic firm to work for. The leadership team seems to "get it" and the projects we work on are some of the most interesting/challenging in the industry. Because the firm is growing so rapidly there are many opportunities for career growth. I've worked in the industry for years and this is by far the best firm I have ever worked for.

Cons

Not much here. As always there are personalities in each division that can frustrate, but they seem to be the minority.

Boys Club

I worked at Timmons Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They have a great reputation in doing work for local governments. They are well known for their engineering department.

Cons

It appears there's no growth for female employees. Female employees are told their potential at the company depends on if they plan to have children.

Poor Leadership

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Richmond, VA

I worked at Timmons Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly colleagues, moderately nice office. Good place to develop skills.

Cons

They work you hard and then expect you to go harder. The management reaps the benefits while the employees receive their pittance. The CEO, Brian Bortell, is a total phony. He pretends to be a nice guy but everybody knows the truth -- and everybody has a "Bortell story" to tell. As one of the many, many layoffs in Spring 2010, I resented the pitiful two weeks' severance I was offered after five years of loyal service. In the meantime, the management lives large and opens up satellite offices where growth likely won't even occur.

It was a good place to learn

Former Employee - Applications Developer in Richmond, VA

I worked at Timmons Group as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

It's a great place for someone young to learn and get exposed to different and cutting edge technologies.
    There is an opportunity to do a variety of work and on different projects. The managers also offer flexibility on the work.

Cons

The morale was low, not compensated well for the work, there is favoritism

It's a great place to start but not to grow

Poorly managed, low company morale.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at Timmons Group full-time

Pros

A lot of nice co-workers

Cons

Upper management - especially the top 4 "executive committee" members - hoard the profits while handing out very meager raises and year end bonuses. They ask a lot of their employees and don't ask much of themselves. They speak a lot about company culture - they talk the talk, but those four guys definitely do not walk the walk.

It's time for some of the younger principals to sweep out the old guard, if only they had the courage to do so.

Gis Application Developer

Former Employee - Applications Developer in Richmond, VA

I worked at Timmons Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company to work for, even when the economy was bad they did pay attention to the technology department, and i had frequent raises, comfortable clear projects/goals

Cons

Too much changes /hesitation in management

Great company for land development and GIS...but...

Current Employee - Project Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Timmons Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great if you work in the field of land development or GIS comfortable work environment, friendly management

Cons

Too many disciplines (which is fine if you're into one of the few championed there), groups work like mini-companies (rather than "company as whole")