TinyCo

Add Photos

Suli Ali

Was Great at First, But Then Became Meh

I worked at TinyCo full-time for more than a year

Pros- Flexible work hours
- Good benefits
- Catered dinners
- Friendly coworkers
- Monthly happy hour events

Cons- Too many meetings
- Lack of tools
- Too many PMs

Advice to Senior ManagementHave faith in your teams and the products that are being developed.

Surprised TinyCo Survived 2013

Product Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at TinyCo full-time for more than a year

ProsFree snacks, flexible work hours (10am -10pm instead of 7am - 7pm)

ConsCEO thinks he is the next Steve Jobs, but in reality he is just an arrogant and greedy co-founder with no creative talent or management skills. There is not really any other "management" to speak of, just a bunch of minions who do whatever the CEO tells them to do. In 2013 TinyCo revenue dropped so significantly that the workforce had to be cut almost in half. This is due to two main problems; first, they don't know how to market the existing games and second, not a single new product was launched in 2013. All future hopes for the company rest on the launch of one new product that was supposed to launch 6 months ago but keeps getting delayed.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind real management talent and try to be creative rather than just copying other successful games.

Backtracking, distrust, and broken process weigh TinyCo down.

I have been working at TinyCo full-time

ProsTinyCo provides benefits to employees that allow them to care for themselves effectively. When the collaboration works right the job can actually be fun.

- A loose organizational structure and poorly defined roles means lots of opportunity to make of the job whatever you want, and to learn new skills. (No official training)
- Projects are fast and ever-changing, you're unlikely to get bored.
- Friendly free-speaking coworkers and a highly collaborative space.

- Snacks provided. Catered dinner too, if you like to work late.
- Health benefits, dental, vision, tax breaks for parking and public transportation.
- Neat building in the financial district surrounded by yummy places to eat.

- Drinking culture could be a pro, if you're into it.

ConsTinyCo is full of people who are well qualified to work at better jobs. Collaboration and trust is often soured by scores of indecisive management.

- A loose organizational structure and poorly defined roles means stress, confusion, and constantly facing conflicting demands with only a vague idea of what takes priority.
- There is bickering between people of authority and few arbitrators or official channels for decision making. Backtracking over decisions multiple times is not uncommon.
- Broken process cause of many problems.
- Between job stress, overwork, and feeling devalued, there is a high turnover rate.

- CEO fluctuates between under-engagement and over-engagement with the employees. Often reluctant to trust the expertise of his employees / sometimes seems to have little understanding of what the employees responsibilities are.
- CEO seems to want to be approchable and do some of the talking himself; as a result ends up saying many things that sound very nice but are not backed by actions.
- Apparent distrust at the top seems to trickle down.

- Drinking culture could be a con, if you like to do something else from time to time.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more producers to cut the bickering short and prevent habitual backtracking. Focus more sharply on improving the process which is at the heart of many problems. Find some way to foster trust between those who make the things and those who tell them what to make.

Company in Quick Decline with Poor Management and Lack of Direction

Product (Former Employee)

I worked at TinyCo full-time for more than a year

Pros- Free Dinners
- Quality people at the lower levels of the organization
- Talented Engineering, Art, & Product Teams
- Upper Management has at least admitted to many of their shortcomings

Cons- Upper management hasn't spent the time learning how to manage. Trying to catch up, but costing good employees in the meantime.
- Companies direction changes about every 6 months
- CEO micro manages and can't scale to run a company of this size
- Recent inability to actually ship games
- Promotions were almost non-existant for years until recently
- Too many levels of organization for such a small company. 5 levels of Product, 3 levels for Art, etc.
- Hours are ridiculous even for a mobile gaming company. Colleagues at similar companies laugh at the number of hours required by most employees.
- Steadily bleeding employees and morale at all time low

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in someone more experienced to run operations of the company and have those good at creative and new game design actually work on game design. Focus on execution and actually moving games out the door.

copied zynga

I worked at TinyCo

Prosfree food and drinks are there

Conslot of competition, and managment

Advice to Senior Managementship out

No faith in the company, very superficial upper management

I worked at TinyCo

ProsGreat art folks, late night dinners and snacks and happy hour times.

ConsUpper management has this "fratboy" mentality, So many unnecessary drinking parties. Very stingy with raises no matter how hard you work for the company. They don't have an idea with what they want creatively or what kind of identity they want for the company. Tribal mentality amongst workers, it almost has a high-school mentality of socialism. Mostly young, very few people with many years of experience. People's ideas are shot down just because they don't meet the company's status quo and instead will only go with what works with other companies or whoever kisses up the fastest

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to treat everyone equally and don't be too loose with your rules. Too many folks say inappropriate near sexually-harassing things on the job and just because someone is attractive and demanding doesn't mean they are right for the job. Reward for hard work, it means the worker really wanted to do a good job for the company. Also if it doesn't look good in the beginning don't go with the project because every mobile company is doing the same thing! This company has the makings of a good company don't squander it all on booze, squander it in fostering good ideas, creativity and fun with the workers to inspire them not get them drunk and have them socially fight one another. Also when a supposed potential project comes up don't let anything out in the company until the deal is signed on the dotted line.

A "Networking Experience"

I have been working at TinyCo full-time for more than a year

Pros*The people that aren't part of upper management. Absolutely incredible, everyone was so close and bonded well.
*Daily Dinners
*Lots of Happy Hour events

Cons*Upper management which specialized in SELF interest and less about recognizing the people who REALLY do the work.
*Management continues to Micromanage issues which ruined any sort of actual work efficiency.
*Salary is a toss up, you have folks who get paid extreme amounts for their first job than you have senior level employees getting paid way less than they should.

Advice to Senior ManagementDO NOT! Non-nonchalantly brush off people who leave the company in masses as nothing to worry about. Clearly there is something wrong when people are leaving WEEKLY!
Recognize people with actual industry experience as something of value instead of focusing on silly things like Seniority and EGO decisions as a more value. Trust your people, we took a long time to hire them why are we so good at driving them out?

Good friends, good connections, bad games

Full Time Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at TinyCo full-time for more than a year

Pros- Fun environment
- Interesting coworkers
- Catered dinners/stocked snack pantry

Cons- Management exempt from responsibility/liability
Prepare to be steamrolled by management, have no choice but to implement a bad idea, and then be blamed for their mistakes. It rolls downhill, even at this small company.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to make good games, not let monetization lead game design. The management doesn't understand why people would voluntarily monetize in a game without a pay wall. It's a bad sign.

Great Team, but a Tough Road Ahead

I have been working at TinyCo full-time for more than a year

Pros- Team: Some amazing people at the company. Smart, fun, talented, and creative.
- Perks: Dinner every night, gatherings, good benefits, a relaxed atmosphere.
- Tech: Great engineering team and engineering leadership.
- Strategy: I think the company strategy seems to be shifting a lot to something that will work
  but this is also a potential Con.
- Learning: Still a lot of opportunities to learn a ton of you are aggressive and want more
  responsibility

Cons- Indecisiveness: A lot of chaos, things going in a lot of different directions, too much change
  and without order.
- Management can be very heavy on product side and doesn't really motivate or lead
  strongly enough
- Teams don't have enough say in products or chance to shine enough.
- Could be more aggressive on salary

Advice to Senior Management- Give your teams better processes and stronger leadership, then let them surprise you!
- Have confidence in a product strategy and know how you are going to make it work.

Creative Talent Unappreciated

I have been working at TinyCo full-time

ProsGenerous PTO
Snacks/meals provided
Amazing creative spirit amongst non-management staff
Very friendly artists

ConsDisorganized
Complete lack of focus
Constantly changing business strategy
Leaderless
Untrustworthy CEO

The CEO is shady, pure and simple. Everything he says should be taken with a massive grain of salt. He is a classic used car salesman, who unfortunately is surrounded by management who inflate his sense of self-importance. Do not trust anything that comes out of this man's mouth.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop behaving as though you know what is best from a creative standpoint. Start paying your creative staff salaries that are consistent with what the Analytics team is making. The imbalance in pay for your artists and animators is embarrassing.

It's a shame. This company is packed with amazing talent, but is run by self-important finance 'experts' who don't have the slightest clue what they're doing. Let the creative members of this company start making decisions. You have been losing people on a weekly basis. It's not rocket science why people are jumping ship.

Worked for TinyCo? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TinyCo reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for TinyCo CEO Suli Ali. All 24 reviews posted anonymously by TinyCo employees.