Tires Plus Reviews

Updated September 28, 2014
Updated September 28, 2014
2.5

Stuart Watterson

Great opportunity, great people to work with

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Tires Plus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Helping customers, developing relationships with co-workers and customers

Cons

retail hours; however there are times for over time

keep up the great service

Egomaniacal management beyond reproach, with a corporate system that cares little about the lower level employees.

Current Employee - General Service Technician  in  Ponte Vedra, FL
    Current Employee - General Service Technician in Ponte Vedra, FL

I have been working at Tires Plus full-time for more than a year

Pros

Gain experience with a wide variety of vehicles, employee discounts are decent, they pay for ASE certification.

Cons

Managers are left to run their store how they see fit, so if you get a manager with a superiority complex and mood swings (like my manager) you will be at the mercy of someone who is never wrong and willing to argue and threaten your job on a daily basis. The sales staff and management have very little automotive knowledge, but all have the ability to threaten you with termination as they see fit. Add that to low pay, a schedule that changes without notice, and a laundry list of other problems and you are left with an idea of what it's like to work for Tires plus. And don't even think about calling corporate about unfair treatment, your concerns will fall on deaf ears.

Hire sales staff and managers with prior (verifiable) experience in automotive and sales. 2 years selling groceries does not qualify.. Teach managers to treat their employees better and take employee grievances more seriously. You will retain a higher caliber of employees this way.

They gave me a job when I couldn't find anything, although pay was rockbottom

Current Employee - Mechanic  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Mechanic in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Tires Plus full-time for less than a year

Pros

They never asked me about my felony conviction from ten years ago, never came up in the interview. Schedule is semi-flexible, and my coworkers are some real laid back people, easy to get along with. Having ASEs automatically bumps you up to a higher pay grade.

Cons

Dirtiest shop I've ever worked in. Not the most professional atmosphere, even for a auto repair shop. Worst part is the pay. In working for half what I was paid in a different state, and the shop last out made it impossible for me to reach my peak efficiency

Streamline the business model. More training. Invest in the shop. Building and equipment.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you like being taken advantage of this is the company for you.

Current Employee - Sales  in  Dubuque, IA
    Current Employee - Sales in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at Tires Plus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a job and I offers insurance.

Cons

They treat employees like cattle with no regard to their personal or family lives. Make promises and back out. Force employees to work overtime and extra days with the veiled threat of losing their jobs. All because they are incapable of hanging on to management.

Show your employees some respect. Honor your promises

Great training, but horrible hours and absolutely no support from corporate management for retail employees.

Former Employee - Service Manager  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Service Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Tires Plus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The high level of sales and product training they provide makes this a decent place to learn skills to get into the automotive or sales worlds.

Cons

The "good old boy" culture is deeply ingrained in all levels of management. Advancement is not based on success, dedication, or quality of service, but rather on how close you can get to the people above you. This creates a bunch of little cliques vying for the attention of those above them who can advance their careers. Backstabbing is so common place that it has come to be expected and most managers will throw employees under the bus to save their own skin. As a result, employees do not trust their managers. Store managers are highly pressured and overworked (all mangers in my area worked 60-90 hour 6-7 day workweeks), shop employees are grossly underpaid for a position that requires a technical skill set and employee-provided tools, and front-line employees receive no support from corporate in the cases of customer complaints, no matter how legitimate or illegitimate. They are open all holidays with the exception of Thanksgiving and Christmas, and it appears events are in motion to be open on those days, too, within the next few years. Most employees received no annual review and pay increases only became available in the event of a promotion or when threatening to leave for the competition. Managers are frequently bounced from store to store in a vein attempt to fix issues that are, in truth, deeply ingrained at the corporate level. Few store managers stay more than a year or two at a particular location, creating anxiety among long-term customers. There is absolutely no work-life balance; if you are scheduled you must show up. I was told on two separate occasions to come to work, even though I was sick, once with pneumonia. Payroll is squeezed so tight that there are not enough employees to handle the workload at most locations, creating wait issues for customers and overworking employees. This also allows for little to no consistency in scheduling. It is common for employees at all levels to be scheduled to close one night and open the next morning. Working at least one weekend day is expected from everyone but district corporate staff, and many stores run with only one front counter employee on Sunday, meaning they do not get a lunch or any breaks during that 8 hour shift (plus the time it takes to open and close the store).

Take a long look in the mirror.

Typical retail sales grind. Your only as good as your production today. More, More, More

Current Employee - Service Manager  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Service Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Tires Plus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent resources and tools available to you for sales skills and management skills for a retail sales atmosphere. Resources make it very easy to learn automotive side of job quickly.

Cons

Tough hours and expectations are expected very quickly and are expected to be continually surpassed on a monthly basis. No exceptions yesterday doesn't matter what did you do for me today. Also a lot will be promised in the beginning with a later realization that those goals are so few and far between.

If you are extremely self motivated, and can handle the daily grind of customers, teammates, and management constantly breathing down your neck, then there is an opportunity to excel at a management position with the potential of $100-$150k a year.

"Sales cure all ailments" and You better be a superstar brown noser!!

Current Employee - Manager  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Tires Plus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay, good customer ethics, great training, descent benefits for the tire & car repair industry, best pay in the business for skilled hard working technicians.

Cons

Big pressure to produce sales, high turnover for management, you can be transferred 50 miles away from home without notice, you better make important friends in high places to get promotedat

Back your management when customers lie, don't ask employees to do anything you wouldn't do. If you think you are better at the job then your subordinates, show them! No condescending remarks about how when they ran a store they were better then you.

Great Bunch of Guys

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Duluth, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Duluth, MN

I worked at Tires Plus part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great guys
    Flexible hours
    Easy training regimen

Cons

Phone shops are horrid. Nuff said.

none at this time

Stay away unless you really need a job

I worked at Tires Plus full-time for less than a year

Pros

good for entry level techs

Cons

worked here fir 7 months had work, little pay, management is horrible, dont care about you what so ever. would rather loose an employee than a customer. everyone is unhappy, lots of free commission jobs, very stressful environment, management will throw you under the buss just to clear them selves. oh and they keep the tips instead of giving it to the deserving tech/

open your eyes

Its a roller coaster ride

I have been working at Tires Plus

Pros

Pay is descent and have good benefits. Atmosphere is friendly and you can get allow with fellow technicians without a problem.

Cons

Poor management can often affect morale and lead to poor enthusiasm to do work. Hours are inconsistent and the expect you to bend over for them without question

Sales/Service numbers look good for your end, but quality service/store managers who can communicate with their technicians are equally important.

Worked for Tires Plus? Contribute to the Community!