Tishman Speyer

Tishman Speyer President and CEO Jerry I. Speyer

Jerry I. Speyer

Great place to Temp

Temporary Receptionist (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe name of the company holds a lot of klout in the industry. It looks great on a resume. They treat their temps very well and are quick to promte them to permanent positions. I sat at the reception desk and was honestly able to get a lot of my own work done while still performing all that was required of me. The people are in general very nice and they are willing to work around your conflicts.

ConsThere is some level for growth within the company but there is a cap; especially for administrative work. It is a very corporate environment, one that has not changed in about 20 years. The office is extremly quiet and sometimes the people can be caddy. Do your work to the best of your ability and you souldn't have a problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter organization when it comes to integrating new employees. There is not a lot of interaction between employees. It is all very autonomus work. Which is fine, but does present a problem when you need to deliver a project to someone or have a specific question.

Unprofessional and understaffed. Very high turn-over.

Associate Level (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsTS is well-known in the real estate field so it is not bad if you want to build up your résumé.

ConsTS wants to be a big player in the industry but it acts in a very amateurish way.

No in-house training of any type, nor employee consideration. Structure is very senior heavy while they are very reluctant to hire more junior staff.

Pay and bonuses are lower than in other NY firms, as well as career path. It is just a decent way to get some experience and run away. Turn over is very high.

Company obsessed with appearances (i.e. spending tons of money in fancy contemporary art) rather than in their employees.

Great Company to work for

ProsYou will learn a lot from this company. The staff will always support you and anything you would like to do.

ConsOne of the cons about this company is that you only get paid twice a month. I would prefer every two weeks.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Atmosphere

ProsGood mobility, great working environment

ConsNone that I can think of

It was a great experience working with Tishman Speyer as a security officer for Rockerfeller Center.

Security Officer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsI got to work with wonderful people. Met a lot of tourist and learned great experience.

ConsThat it is a seasonal job.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of your mangers do have favoritism. And let them get away with more

No stability or growth

Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsFamous company in the field.

It is a nice name to have on your resume. Good to learn the perks of the business.

ConsEverything else.

Employees are treated like utilities. TS loves to move employees from one office to another (including different countries), but once you are not required... you are let go at any time any where you are (even if you are abroad). You need to have a B-plan from day 1. Turn-over is extremely high, no wonder why.

Blatant Racial Discrimination.

Compensation is average / below average. Benefits are definitely not good.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees are not utilities.

Outstanding leadership, they take care of their employees.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThey are one of the leading real estate companies. Endless resources and they offer opportunities for growth and advancement.

ConsDid not experience anything negative during my employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementExcellent training and mentor ship from upper management.

The worst of a family company and a major corporation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsWell-known company in RE, it shouldn't hurt your resume to look for greener pastures afterwards.

Pay is on average for real estate, better than CRE, but worse than other PERE firms or IB.

Buildings are interesting. Chrysler, Rockefeller... are part of their portfolio. Good buildings abroad.

Great location in main Manhattan office.

Work/life balance not that bad; definitely better than IB.

ConsZero investment in their employees.

Zero job stability. Employees made redundant right and left to create fear among current workers.

Family company so don't expect the compensation perks that you have in major corporations. It is your salary and be happy about it. Salary increases tend to be on the low side as well as bonuses.

Tons of politics. Less meritocratic than major BBIB companies... everything depends on who likes you or whom you befriended. Immature management. Some clearly discriminatory practices against minorities that you can notice after a while.

Very volatile culture (Google "Stuyvesant Town Tishman"). There are other major developers that haven't gone in such risky practices to grow.

Little growth opportunities. If you want to advance quicker in RE there are other developers growing faster in the NY area or overall in the US. You are better off with those companies for development or with PERE boutique firms for portfolio/investment management that will pay as well if not better and you can place yourself better in the mid to long term.

I would only recommend TS if you are at an analyst level (and maybe associate if you are coming from anything other than RE), want to break in the field and you don't get anything better (read faster-growing PEREs; you will always be better off working for TS than for the likes of DTZ, CBRE or JLL in terms of prestige and resume-building).

You don't need to be a genius to notice that some of the short yet 5-star reviews here are not probably written by former employees...

Employee appreciation enhances company growth

Staff Accountant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsWorked for Tishman Speyer only for about 3 years until Nov - 2003. Tishman Speyer name brand is very attractive to job seekers. Back then, they offered free brakfast almost everyday. they also offered free lunches at least once week. that helped save on commuting cost.

ConsEmployees are overworked with limited opportunities for minorities to advance or receive promotions. Back in 2003, minorities were mainly at the staff level which is one of the reasons why I had left the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementInteract more with the staff and show appreciation for work well done.

A supportive, energetic company that continues to succeed

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Washington, DC

Pros-young, energetic workplace
    -endless support from upper management
    -realistic expectations
    -excellent benefits, vacation, company events
    -"summer Fridays" : office closes at 1pm
    -very professional environment based on honesty and integrity

Cons-job growth is limited due to economic times

Worked for Tishman Speyer? Contribute to the Community!