Tishman Speyer

Updated December 15, 2014
3.4

Tishman Speyer President and CEO Jerry I. Speyer
Jerry I. Speyer

Prestigious firm sets people up for success elsewhere; limited upward opportunity and significant nepotism at firm.

Former Employee - Associate - Real Estate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate - Real Estate in New York, NY

I worked at Tishman Speyer full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Tishman Speyer was a great firm to start off my career in real estate. Their leadership development program is well regarded and provides a challenging and meaningful role to young professionals. I firmly believe that my experience at TS set me up for a positive trajectory in real estate. However, after a few years of working at the firm, it was clear that it was difficult to direct the path that you were interested in pursuing (as is often the case at larger firms). The most incredible aspect of the firm is the people that I worked with - a group of ambitious, talented, and motivated individuals, many of whom have remained my close friends.

Cons

The challenging part of the firm is the ability to progress or move around to experience other 'groups' or departments. While in theory, the leadership development program was set up to do just this, in practice, there was a lot of turnover throughout the firm and this made executing the rotations a lot less transparent and limited in nature. Furthermore, it was clear that those who were connected with the firm were promoted quickly or had disproportionately higher pay. While this is the reality of the world, the level of nepotism and its affect on morale/others was a detriment.

Expectations were set very high from the start and the culture is not one of empty rewards. While I was comfortable in this demanding and fast-paced environment, everyone is not made out for this environment. Hours could be extremely long, and their pay was substantially under market. There is also significant title inflation at the firm without commensurate pay increase.

Exciting

I have been working at Tishman Speyer full-time

Pros

Bonuses and Raises, location and atmosphere

Cons

Politics, politics, politics and more politics

Stop being political

Professional from afar but far from professional

I worked at Tishman Speyer

Pros

Nice office, CEO seems to be the most personable in upper management

Cons

HR and office management is extremely catty and unprofessional. When I started I was constantly warned from coworkers just how unprofessional HR was, especially the head of it. The turn over rate in most departments is extremely high. Very stale atmosphere. Employees are under appreciated.

Stop spending money on disturbing art, stale bagels and diet soda and up your compensation/bonuses. Also, get a new HR department.

Management has a lot to learn

I worked at Tishman Speyer full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Talented people work here for short times.

Cons

Leadership is unqualified, clique oriented and petty.

Professional,talented staff

I have been working at Tishman Speyer full-time

Pros

Very professional organization with talented people.

Cons

Upward growth can be challenging

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Producer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Producer in New York, NY

I worked at Tishman Speyer as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent communication and follow through

Cons

Work not as consistent as would be best

A few false starts on projects were not the best

Great place to Temp

Current Employee - Temporary Receptionist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Temporary Receptionist in New York, NY

I have been working at Tishman Speyer as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The name of the company holds a lot of klout in the industry. It looks great on a resume. They treat their temps very well and are quick to promte them to permanent positions. I sat at the reception desk and was honestly able to get a lot of my own work done while still performing all that was required of me. The people are in general very nice and they are willing to work around your conflicts.

Cons

There is some level for growth within the company but there is a cap; especially for administrative work. It is a very corporate environment, one that has not changed in about 20 years. The office is extremly quiet and sometimes the people can be caddy. Do your work to the best of your ability and you souldn't have a problem.

Better organization when it comes to integrating new employees. There is not a lot of interaction between employees. It is all very autonomus work. Which is fine, but does present a problem when you need to deliver a project to someone or have a specific question.

Unprofessional and understaffed. Very high turn-over.

Former Employee - Associate Level in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Level in New York, NY

I worked at Tishman Speyer full-time (more than an year)

Pros

TS is well-known in the real estate field so it is not bad if you want to build up your résumé.

Cons

TS wants to be a big player in the industry but it acts in a very amateurish way.

No in-house training of any type, nor employee consideration. Structure is very senior heavy while they are very reluctant to hire more junior staff.

Pay and bonuses are lower than in other NY firms, as well as career path. It is just a decent way to get some experience and run away. Turn over is very high.

Company obsessed with appearances (i.e. spending tons of money in fancy contemporary art) rather than in their employees.

Great Company to work for

I have been working at Tishman Speyer

Pros

You will learn a lot from this company. The staff will always support you and anything you would like to do.

Cons

One of the cons about this company is that you only get paid twice a month. I would prefer every two weeks.

Great Atmosphere

I have been working at Tishman Speyer

Pros

Good mobility, great working environment

Cons

None that I can think of