TitleVest Reviews

Updated March 12, 2014

2.8

TitleVest President & CEO Bill Baron
Bill Baron

Provides excellent exposure to real estate for those new to the NYC market

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at TitleVest full-time

Pros

Employees who take initiative and work long hours are recognized, promoted, and eventually run the company. Provides exposure to lots of different types of transactions (residential, commercial, vacant land, and construction sites). An excellent warm-up for those interested in working the NYC real estate market but need some basic exposure to transactions and the companies behind the work. Lots of opportunity for those with operational leadership to guide the formation of new processes and fix processes that no longer make sense. Young culture.

Cons

There is a growing crowd of people who say "that is not my job," and it affects morale and work culture in a negative way.

Host monthly all-hands meetings to keep every employee on the same page regarding new business, changing business, new policies, departmental changes, and new rules. This will help prevent employees from feeling blindsided.

If you enjoy tedious intern-level tasks for sub-intern pay THIS is the job for YOU!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at TitleVest full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Dress code is casual, most coworkers are nice, and the hours are rarely set in stone.
    - It's very easy to coast along, but with the frequent substantial layoffs I wouldn't recommend it.

Cons

- The pay is terrible. Don't expect exceptional reviews or a high-volume/high-quality work pace to translate into more money. As a result people sandbag their work to rationalize (because doing less work for the same pay kinda feels like a raise) and abuse overtime offerings (where they still phone it in).

- I rated the benefits poorly for the following reason: During my time hourly employees were given 3 (THREE) sick days annually. Once the new NY labor laws are enacted in 2014 employees will receive 5 (FIVE) sick days annually, but only because it is law and not because TV wanted to exploit them less.

- Employees are mostly viewed as just warm bodies to put near a telephone. A few are cherry picked (as favoritism runs rampant) but TV has the outlook that it's easier to hire new employees at discount pay than to have fairly paid personnel that have earned it.

- If you work in any type of customer service capacity (as I did) be prepared to eat a healthy amount of dookie from both clients and management. Essentially I was paid to say "This is my fault. I was wrong. Someone smarter will fix this."

Get on the ball with top-to-bottom communication and organizational structure. Also, work on at least pretending to be sincere at times.

#1 cause of depression is from working here.

I worked at TitleVest full-time

Pros

- Most co-workers are easy to get along with
    - Free fruit (Although most of the time they are not fresh)
    - No dress code (T-Shirts, Jeans, Flip Flops and anything else your heart desires)

Cons

- Company is poorly run. Recently the company was on a surge of issuing title policies for closing done as far back as 2011... Not just one or two missed policies it was SEVERAL. It's alarming that a title insurance company can't stay on top of issuing policies on time.
    - Compensation is low and raises are a joke (About $1 raise after a year of working there maybe a little bit more if your lucky)
    - Communication is done primary with email which leaves things to be misinterpreted.
    - You are forced to be extremely fake when replying to clients. using "!" any chance you get to show your "enthusiasm" in helping the client. (I have no problem with people that sincerely are very cheerful and would like to use ! but, being forced to use it as a company standard is another deal)
    - The positive reviews written here were mostly requested by management since previously they had such low ratings. It's upsetting management would rather create an illusion this company is great rather than fix the problems to truly make this a great company.
    - Top management will never be held accountable for blunders, no matter how big the mistake however, the grunts of the company will get called out on small details which are occasionally done through mass e-mail.
    - During your interview process you meet with several managers 2-5 people. This is a ridiculous amount of people to be interviewed by for a position that pays $13-$15 an hour.
    - There is a constant struggle between departments on who's responsible for certain tasks. This just shows that the work flow structure is abysmal.

-Communication is horrible, fix it.
    -Consider incentives to keep star employees instead of being content with the high turnover rate of the company. (It's a down economy with high unemployment yet still people leave the company frequently)
    - Be more hands on with the work output of EACH employee and re-evaluate employment for those that are lazy or unwilling to work as a team.
    - It's not a crime to pay your employees. This will give them an incentive to keep their job and do their very best.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mediocre job doing mediocre work for mediocre pay

I worked at TitleVest

Pros

Convenient location downtown with good train access. It's a job that gives you money to pay the bills. Nothing particularly horrible about it except certain people in upper management like to talk to everyone like schoolchildren. Two weeks paid vacation and a couple paid sick days, which should come standard, but nowadays some people act as if the company is doing them a favor.

Cons

Nowhere to go professionally. There is a clear distinction between a few in upper management and everyone else below being a worker managed by their peers that really don't make much more than them. Regardless, those in management still have a bloated sense of self importance and authority. Nothing particularly interesting about the job unless you like talking to bankers and attorneys and so forth about title insurance issues and if you do would make you just as uninteresting as the job, in which case you would like it. Rather than raises and real incentives they distract workers with gimmicks such as the occasional (rare) beer at the end of the day or leftovers from corporate client strokings.

Try and loosen the atmosphere in the company. Give workers more than a few hours notice when laying them off en masse. Distribute bonus's as cash rather than gift cards because the workers will pay as much in eBay fees selling them as they would in taxes that at least benefit our country. Invest in some higher quality pizza for parties.

A poorly run company with seemingly no goals

Current Employee - Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at TitleVest full-time for more than a year

Pros

- most employees are fairly nice and easy to get along with
    - customer service strongly emphasized

Cons

- there is almost zero communication between management and staff
    - management is largely too young and inexperienced to handle their jobs
    - employees have little idea what company is doing or in what direction it's heading
    - turnover is shockingly high
    - there are no meetings or check-ins with teams in some departments
    - training process is oddly lax, yet employees still blamed for likely unavoidable mistakes
    - company seems headed into the ground due to poor management at times
    - owner of company rarely on premises yet seems to make all decisions from another state (this is my perception)
    - general lack of trust for employee decisions or discretion. feels like being a fifth grader.
    - staff morale is pretty low and people obviously - from my view - dislike their jobs b/c the work is menial and there is almost no trust or learning beyond menial tasks
    - supervisors and higher-ups regularly shuffled around office with no explanation
    - no transparency with decisions and constant surprise decision announcements
    - one day your supervisor is there, next day you're not sure who you answer to
    - management seems to favor good personality over people who actually help company
    - no feeling of job security... at all...
    - employee talent mostly wasted on menial tasks despite numerous professionals and grad-educated types working there... no allocation of that talent in any way that could help company innovate or improve... it's like they have no idea they've got some some diamonds within their workplace who will one day quit and they'll just have to poorly train a new guy/girl
    - owner seems to miss the fact that treating employees with little respect or value will only burn bridges with those employees who go on to become potential clients in this very industry!
    - management reviews are a sham and it's disheartening to sit through a review with a manager who literally has no idea what you do during your day - so they just come up with a guess of your performance... you hope they guess correctly.
    - employees seem fearful of speaking up due to lack of job security and poor economy.
    - supervisors communicate in secret with managers, so no opportunity for staff input
    - volatile work environment with constant changes and instability in seating, tasks, and assigned roles... no one is told that their manager is being reallocated to different work or
    - company obviously exploits workers to max in shitty economy
    - turnover rate is shockingly high
    - pay is very low relative to NYC standard of living
    - good work is not rewarded, but small mistakes are heavily remembered

Ask yourself: Am I doing the right thing? Is this the example I want to set for my children? Should I work at a company where I don't feel secure in my work? Will I look back and say, "That management salary was worth the way I bullied others or ignored others... I feel like I did well in my life."

Horrible Horrible Horrible and Horrible

I have been working at TitleVest full-time for more than a year

Pros

The environment is young so it feels like a nice place to work until you begin to get to know everyone.

Cons

Immaturity, lack of ethics and morals, no employee loyalty. Managers are extremely too young to handle their positions, especially in Accounting.

Make sure that your "supervisors" are mature enough to handle their roles. The turnover rate is high for a reason.

Current Employee Review

I have been working at TitleVest full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I’ve worked for TitleVest for over 5 years and honestly cannot disagree more with many of the reviews on this forum. There are a number of examples of individuals making their way up the company’s ladder. TitleVest operates in an industry that is results driven and requires similar results from its employees. If an employee gives it their all, they can find themselves in an supervisory position without all of the politics that surround promotions that you would find in large companies. Alternatively, TitleVest offers a number of positions for individuals looking to simply support themselves through grad school or while they seek out careers in the Arts.

I enjoy working with individuals that are smart, goal oriented and social. I don’t necessarily enjoy all of the work I do (I work in IT, so I enjoy most of it), but one of the things that drives me to continue working for TitleVest, I get to work with a great, diverse and social team.

When looking for a job, no one looks at whether they can make friends while working there. I’ve made many friends at TitleVest and enjoy the fact that I am not just a cog in the wheel. My opinion matters and acted upon when appropriate. I also take comfort in the fact that everyone, from the typists to CEO, is approachable and generally interested in me as a person.

Cons

Stress – There have been a number of posts on this forum that attribute their failure at this firm to stress. TitleVest is a small-medium sized company and expects accurate, on time results from its employees (something every for-profit company expects). Over the last few years, the bar has been set pretty high. It could be quite stressful to meet these standards, if you are new to an environment such as the one there.

Additional involvement in some of the backend politics that seem to exist in all companies - Reading through many of the posts on this site, it appears that many of them surround interactions or perceived neglect from supervisors or their peers. I do not propose becoming directly involved, but wish management would look to be made aware of situations where employees are unhappy working in a particular position or in a particular department and help resolve the situation.

The Real Deal

I have been working at TitleVest full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I’ve been with TitleVest for over three years now, and although I don’t usually comment on anonymous opinions about movies or politics or whatever, I read the reviews on this site and had to write in. I actually googled the company to make sure there weren’t two TitleVests, because a lot of these “reviews” describe a really different company (if not a different reality!).

When I started, I came in at the ground floor and worked hard, asked for more responsibilities and got them, moved up in positions, changed departments, and obviously got raises and bonuses too. It’s NOT a dead-end place. If you want to work up to a higher standard than probably you’ve ever had before, then you’ll succeed. If you’re sloppy and/or spend time surfing the web, you’ll eventually get fired. What’s so “horrible” about that?

The number of people working here has tripled in the past year, when lots of other places aren’t hiring at all or are firing people. It seems to me that these people complaining about getting into a growing company with good technology, laid-back, intelligent people, and higher-ups that seem to really care what’s going on, they must have been fired for slacking, or they’ve never worked here at all and they’re just trolling for drama.

Pros:
    Growth = Opportunity. A bunch of supervisors started out on the ground floor.

Casual dress code.

Smart, social people that work great together and hang out socially, too.

Upper management isn’t a bunch of gray hairs – they’re real and grounded. They do upper management stuff and also “regular people” stuff like taking new client orders, making copies, making coffee for other people, etc. You need a mentor, you get one.

Diversity: this is the most diverse company I’ve ever seen, from ground level up, people of different colors, ethnicities, sexual orientations, people from different countries.

Cons

Stress: High, high professional standard to meet, fast and perfect work expected. BUT, there’s no “one strike you’re out” rule. You get trained, ask questions, have mistakes pointed out so you don’t make them again, and you get chances to improve. There are over 100 people working here, so the standard obviously isn’t impossible to meet!

Pay: Hourly pay seems to start lower than you want, but reviews happen twice a year, and especially if you take on higher roles, you’ll see your pay rate rise. (Bonuses at the end of year, too.)

SPACE: SERIOUSLY cramped for desk space for almost the past year. Supposed to add another floor this fall, so hopefully that con will go away (with the added stress!).

Appreciation: Actually has gotten better over the last year, with free social things like bowling, holiday party at a local bar, etc., but also each person needs more personal appreciation. Sometimes the only thing you hear from a supervisor or upper management that week is critiques of what you did wrong. More “thank you’s” would be nice.

Worked for TitleVest? Contribute to the Community!