Tobi Reviews

Reset
2.8
Kenneth Chan

1. Tobi .

Pros

Pros : The working environment is breathable. There isn't much micromanagement so there's room to breath but, everyone also does get their own work done. It works out.

Cons

Cons : Is there enough room to actually grow ? Plus, are we getting enough pay for the amount and effort put into work? & lots of changes constantly ... To be honest there are pros and cons to every company. That is all I will say...

Advice to Management

Helping and paying more attention to each individuals personal growth and not just the companies growth. I think that would help.

Great place to grow!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Tobi (More than 3 years)

Pros

Tobi is a great place to get your foot in the door and grow within! The people are awesome and so are the happy hours :) Great work/life balance and encouraging management support. A laid back, open environment with profit sharing, free breakfast, and shuttle!

Cons

The business has taken a few re-directions over the years but the outlook is definitely promising!

Advice to Management

Keep finding ways to better Tobi and continue to lead in the right direction.

3. Go Tobi.com!

Pros

There is real opportunity to grow within the company, yearly bonuses, free breakfast on Thursdays, encourages learning and provides free books, supports and sponsors sports teams, employee discounts and free sample clothing, and all the support you need from your peers and superiors.

Cons

Sometimes I feel like our dresses are not appropriate for the younger shoppers that we target, but if they feel confident in what they wear and their parents approve with it then no judgement here :)

5. Company expansion has led to internal disappointment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Most coworkers are amazing, lax office environment (depending on department)

Cons

horrible pay, dramatic and catty management, no room for growth / promotions unless you threaten to leave, no brand focus or direction, lack of creative freedom over time

Advice to Management

whole company needs to be compensated fairly for the work that's put in and compared to other fast fashion companies salary here is a joke

6. Build on what you have

I have been working at Tobi full-time

Pros

Good job to start with and build as the company grows.

Cons

Management needs to compensate the employees for the hard work that they put in.

7. My work experience at Tobi

Current Employee - Maxine in Daly City, CA
    Current Employee - Maxine in Daly City, CA

I have been working at Tobi part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast paced ,fun, well organized warehouse to work.

Cons

All work is done, no more work to do.

Advice to Management

Make sure all warehouse team members have work to do to keep busy.

A little hectic, a little crazy, but a fun place with ambitious goals

I have been working at Tobi full-time

Pros

I'm not really sure why all the negativity, but think it a lot (if not most) have come from laid off employees, so a lot of negativity bias. There's been a lot of upheaval lately, but the good kind that comes with any growing business. My experience has been that it is a very collegial place to work, it's profitable and growing, the product is fun and tangible, the work you do moves the needle, the people are good to each other, and the work life balance is great. Its a unique mix of family company and start-up "leanness"...its managed tightly and well, which is why its profitable and able to share some of those profits with all ees, even when competitors are burning VC money like crazy. I've had a great time at Tobi and look forward to growing with the company.

Cons

Its been a bit hectic, things change, directions change, etc...that can be frustrating, but its a small and growing company and that stuff is bound to happen. Communication downward could be better but I think its getting better.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the recent sharing of the vision and the plan, much appreciated.

Save Yourself!

Former Employee - Anonymous in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Tobi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I met some cool down-to-earth people who actually knew what they were doing. But that was like 2 out of every 15 people.

Cons

-Upper Management makes any and all decisions and they usually already have their minds made up by the time you bring up any new ideas or processes. -Company was started by a man who got "bored" with working in the Tech industry so he called up the most well-dressed girl he knew and decided to start a fashion company. -CEO/President/Head Buyer etc all have zero fashion industry experience -Unless you are 50% Asian of some kinda and up you probably won't ever advance to management or get the respect you deserve -I came to the President about a harassment issue with a manager and she told me she "doesn't have time for drama" and that I should just "work on communicating" - No real Human Resources department (the President's husband was supposed to be HR for the LA office) this is why things were so corrupt and unjust -Very bad pay! They are quick to pamper their friends with zero industry knowledge/experience and leave the rest of us behind. -They Purposefully hire people with no experience so they can "train them up" and get away with paying people terribly -Their Brand identity apparently is to be "Like TOPSHOP but cooler and LA" that alone should tell you they have no idea what a brand is. -They also tend to mull over the insignificant complaints of certain employees. I got a talking to by the President because someone on my team felt like I was "gossiping" about her but for some reason when I came to discuss HARASSMENT the President turned me away because apparently that was "drama". This same person also got a raise/promotion immediately after complaining about half the people on our team. I only stayed for a yearish in order to build my resume and then found a job where I can actually grow and gain real industry experience fro a company that runs professionally. At the end of the day go to a company that will pay you what you deserve and runs smoothly.

Advice to Management

Resign or actually listen to the people you have hired (AND THAT HAVE DEGREES)

Look elsewhere first

Former Employee - Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Oakland, CA

I worked at Tobi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work/life balance is good, but that is likely to change. Coworkers are fun and friendly.

Cons

Believe the bad reviews. The few good reviews are from an company sponsored campaign to counter the bad reviews. One of the best reviews is written by the internal recruiter who couldn't hire because of the bad reviews. Honestly its surprising the company is doing well at all given how its run, but theres no accounting for luck and being in the right place at the right time. This place has serious trust and control issues in upper management. There are people with a title of 'Product Manager', but they have no actual say or ownership but just take dictation from the upper management. If they hired you to do something expect that it will get micromanaged and controlled to the littlest detail. Its super disorganized with very little cohesive vision or direction. Much of your work will never see the light of day. Projects that come in will get worked on for weeks or months, and even with multiple checkpoints with the president, theres a good chance your project will get killed before shipping.

Advice to Management

Be leaders. If you hire someone for a job, trust them to do that job. Honestly the best advice for management might be to hire your replacements and step away.

Best company I've ever worked for !

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Tobi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly co workers , great management.

Cons

Can get a bit hectic .

RSS Feed </> Embed