Tobi Reviews

Kenneth Chan

1. My work experience at Tobi

Current Employee - Maxine in Daly City, CA
    Current Employee - Maxine in Daly City, CA

I have been working at Tobi part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast paced ,fun, well organized warehouse to work.

Cons

All work is done, no more work to do.

Advice to Management

Make sure all warehouse team members have work to do to keep busy.

A little hectic, a little crazy, but a fun place with ambitious goals

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Tobi full-time

Pros

I'm not really sure why all the negativity, but think it a lot (if not most) have come from laid off employees, so a lot of negativity bias. There's been a lot of upheaval lately, but the good kind that comes with any growing business. My experience has been that it is a very collegial place to work, it's profitable and growing, the product is fun and tangible, the work you do moves the needle, the people are good to each other, and the work life balance is great. Its a unique mix of family company and start-up "leanness"...its managed tightly and well, which is why its profitable and able to share some of those profits with all ees, even when competitors are burning VC money like crazy. I've had a great time at Tobi and look forward to growing with the company.

Cons

Its been a bit hectic, things change, directions change, etc...that can be frustrating, but its a small and growing company and that stuff is bound to happen. Communication downward could be better but I think its getting better.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the recent sharing of the vision and the plan, much appreciated.

Save Yourself!

Former Employee - Anonymous in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Tobi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I met some cool down-to-earth people who actually knew what they were doing. But that was like 2 out of every 15 people.

Cons

-Upper Management makes any and all decisions and they usually already have their minds made up by the time you bring up any new ideas or processes.
    -Company was started by a man who got "bored" with working in the Tech industry so he called up the most well-dressed girl he knew and decided to start a fashion company.
    -CEO/President/Head Buyer etc all have zero fashion industry experience
    -Unless you are 50% Asian of some kinda and up you probably won't ever advance to management or get the respect you deserve
    -I came to the President about a harassment issue with a manager and she told me she "doesn't have time for drama" and that I should just "work on communicating"
    - No real Human Resources department (the President's husband was supposed to be HR for the LA office) this is why things were so corrupt and unjust
    -Very bad pay! They are quick to pamper their friends with zero industry knowledge/experience and leave the rest of us behind.
    -They Purposefully hire people with no experience so they can "train them up" and get away with paying people terribly
    -Their Brand identity apparently is to be "Like TOPSHOP but cooler and LA" that alone should tell you they have no idea what a brand is.
    -They also tend to mull over the insignificant complaints of certain employees. I got a talking to by the President because someone on my team felt like I was "gossiping" about her but for some reason when I came to discuss HARASSMENT the President turned me away because apparently that was "drama". This same person also got a raise/promotion immediately after complaining about half the people on our team.

I only stayed for a yearish in order to build my resume and then found a job where I can actually grow and gain real industry experience fro a company that runs professionally. At the end of the day go to a company that will pay you what you deserve and runs smoothly.

Advice to Management

Resign or actually listen to the people you have hired (AND THAT HAVE DEGREES)

Look elsewhere first

Former Employee - Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Oakland, CA

I worked at Tobi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work/life balance is good, but that is likely to change. Coworkers are fun and friendly.

Cons

Believe the bad reviews. The few good reviews are from an company sponsored campaign to counter the bad reviews. One of the best reviews is written by the internal recruiter who couldn't hire because of the bad reviews. Honestly its surprising the company is doing well at all given how its run, but theres no accounting for luck and being in the right place at the right time.

This place has serious trust and control issues in upper management. There are people with a title of 'Product Manager', but they have no actual say or ownership but just take dictation from the upper management. If they hired you to do something expect that it will get micromanaged and controlled to the littlest detail.

Its super disorganized with very little cohesive vision or direction. Much of your work will never see the light of day. Projects that come in will get worked on for weeks or months, and even with multiple checkpoints with the president, theres a good chance your project will get killed before shipping.

Advice to Management

Be leaders. If you hire someone for a job, trust them to do that job.

Honestly the best advice for management might be to hire your replacements and step away.

Best company I've ever worked for !

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Tobi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly co workers , great management.

Cons

Can get a bit hectic .

Stop chasing Nastygal...

Former Employee - Creative in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Creative in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Tobi

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Donuts on Thursdays

Cons

Always trying to be Nastygal.

Lack of creativity in Brand + Media

No room for growth

Zero culture/ diversity

Each dept is so antisocial its crazy. Its like being in highschool.

Advice to Management

Hire employees/managers with a strong background. And that are current in todays market.

Stop hiring your friends.

Recognize those with talent and push for their success.

Push for better imagery. Think Nastygal just happened? No. They realized how important their connection to customers are through their imagery. Whats truly lacking here is creativity.

Stop the owner from making decisions about brand+media. The guy is a physics major working in fashion?!? Hire someone from a creative viewpoint.

Working in the warehouse on the swing shift was one of the best working experiences of my life.

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Tobi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are very friendly, working pace is very easy and laid back at times. But when it is during the sale season, can get hectic. Nothing a normal worker cannot handle though. Leads/supervisors are very friendly and will be lenient towards whatever you need.

Cons

At times, there is little to no work to be done at the warehouse. But still a great place to work and be productive during the busy season.

Advice to Management

Bonuses and raises should be given according to what is said under the employee handbook.

Good place to start out, heading downhill fast due to poor senior management.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Oakland, CA

I worked at Tobi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, the Oakland office was nice. Hanging out with coworkers playing darts and board games was really nice. No pressure to meet hard deadlines.

Cons

Poor upper management.
    Employees were not appreciated for their contributions.
    'Lean & Mean' was taken to the extreme when it comes to facilities and benefits.
    Compensation was well below market across the board, lots of false promises were made.

Advice to Management

I strongly believe that the company cannot find success with the current CEO in charge. If you can't replace him I'd hop on a lifeboat and let the captain go down with the ship.

Tobi: 50% Off Your Sanity

Former Employee - Janitor in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Janitor in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Tobi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Free Safeway Donuts every Wednesday
    -Running water in bathroom and kitchen
    -50% off discount all cute clothing! (Wait, I think I could get this discount even if I didn't work here)
    -Barely working laptop is provided

Cons

-I don't think anyone here knows what they are actually trying to accomplish
    -Everyone gets thrown under the bus before upper management takes the blame
    -Quite literally was one of the worst professional experiences of my life

*WARNING - If you considering leaving your current job DO not leave to take a position here. Your current boss might be a headache, your current pay might not make you comfortable, but rest assured, your potential future will be much work. Do not work here. Don not work here. I want to write it on the chalkboard a-la Bart Simpson so you get the idea. Unless you are very close friends with the CEO, his wife, or either president (Wait why would you be reading this if you were?) do not work here. If you are hired for a senior position, they will fire you within a year without any qualms.

Advice to Management

Hey let's try running a legitimate organization for a change.

I cannot imagine a place worse than Tobi

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Tobi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can't think of any... oh they let you drink at work sometimes...

Cons

Ownership is a word that is thrown around a lot here; but when it's time for REAL ownership, there is just a lot of finger pointing and shoving of the workload to other teams/coworkers. The executive managers in Los Angeles often hire their best friends and family members with no previous apparel experience instead of qualified hungry employees.

During the interview process and upon hiring, they preach how important it is to be outspoken and to share your ideas and opinions to better help the business grow. Do not be fooled; you are to only follow instructions and take the blame once their nonsensical ideas don't work. If you are not a yes-person, be prepared for rumors to be spread about you by the executive management if you ever try to take initiative.

The daily multiple time-consuming meetings, constant process and procedure changes, and unprofessional family members and BFFs running and skateboarding around make this place completely unbearable. After you’ve spent your entire day in meetings, you are still expected to move a mountain. When you cannot move thus mountain, you are quickly penalized. I’ve seen some of the hardest and smartest working employees here get demoted. Alternatively, many of the executive management's friends are promoted based solely on their relationship instead of merits. Many employees bring their work home and work until midnight to get work done without billing the company. This just shows that Tobi does has hard working and driven employees here. It’s a shame that so many people here are mistreated.

Advice to Management

Hire people that know what they are doing instead of putting people with no apparel background in high executive positions.

RSS Feed </> Embed