Tocquigny Reviews

48 reviews filtered by
4.0
Yvonne Tocquigny

Austin Advertising Over the Decades

I have been working at Tocquigny

Pros

*Tocquigny longevity, they have been in business since the early 80’s
    *Tocquigny team members are some of the most capable I have ever known, bring your a-game and be prepared to collaborate
    *Full service shop(wide range of clients and projects)
    *FBF@3:30 (aka free-beer-friday)
    *Nice office, spacious with an amazing view
    *Yvonne

Yvonne sat me down after my first month and told me she wanted 4 things from the company, exceptional creative product, the highest level of client satisfaction, to operate with integrity and at the end of the day have projects remain profitable. I never told her, but she won me over that day.

Cons

Cons are a product of the advertising industry in general. Agency work is demanding, time sensitive, exciting, and requires your best. If you are in advertising, you know the culture and accept the challenges.

If I must, I always give the same advice that has made the biggest impact in my life, the list of 7. It leads to quality people, which in turn make great, lasting teams. The cornerstone of a great company.

Be true to yourself
    Help others
    Make friendship a fine art
    Drink deeply from good books
    Build a shelter against a rainy day
    Give thanks and ask for guidance
    Make each day your masterpiece

2. Great work; not for everyone.

Former Employee - Account Service in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Account Service in Austin, TX

I worked at Tocquigny full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed being surrounded by bright, creative people who were able to work together to produce some amazing work. The variety of work offered an array of work experience. No two projects/clients were ever the same, offering unique opportunities for growth.

Cons

There was a fear mentality. Everyone was afraid to get too much attention for fear of being targeted as you'd ultimately disappoint and fall out of favor. From this and 100% turnover, it was difficult to get work done. Absolutely no work/life balance.

Provide an on-boarding process to set expectations, teach processes and clearly define goals as well as ensure quality hires are made to get more out of employees rather than a culture of fear.

Tocquigny Response

Mar 22, 2015President

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Together with our department heads we have in the past year created a formal on-boarding process that includes scheduled orientation sessions ... More

You learn two things at Tocquigny

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Tocquigny full-time (less than a year)

Pros

At most companies, you learn two things regardless of your position level: your professional skills and interpersonal skills. Tocquigny is a place where you will find highly professional and intelligent co-workers. By working with them and the management, you learn both.
    The company has a very open culture. The management team shares both good and bad news with every member immediately as though we are a family. And they care about their employees genuinely with personalized events and benefits. A really good bonus is that you get to attend paid seminars and trainings to grow your competency constantly.
    One more pro, Tocquigny is willing to experiment with new initiatives and fun ideas. And the management team listens to those ideas from all levels of employees, which makes every employee a Tocquigny history creator.

Cons

Sometimes multiple projects come together. You have to work overtime in order to keep up quality since the manager won't sacrifice the work quality. But that's the heritage of a great agency.

The CEO and the president really care about their employees' well-being and spotlight each individual's contribution whenever possible. Please keep doing that because this means a lot and makes people feel motivated. Also try encouraging every employee to present good practices or ideas or anything worth sharing during all-hands meetings.

Great company to gain some real-world agency experience

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at Tocquigny full-time (more than a year)

Pros

When I joined Tocquigny, I was at a critical point in my career where I was transitioning from a generalist to a specialist. I jointed the interactive marketing department and quickly enjoyed the camaraderie, processes, and workflow of the team. I was able to improve the quality of my work by applying highly organized processes and planning into my workflow. I also enjoyed that the company made it a point to recognize individual's contributions to big client projects.

Cons

The only thing I would say that is that sometimes client ask for too much and the agency is willing to comply in order to keep clients happy, however in my last six months I could see that the agency was making large strides to keeping all projects within scope and ensuring that employees weren't responsible for items that weren't already agreed upon with the client.

Continue to honor individual employee's contributions and keep the flexible work atmosphere to keep a strong life/work balance.

Lots of learning opportunities

Current Intern - Copywriter in Austin, TX
    Current Intern - Copywriter in Austin, TX

I have been working at Tocquigny as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

They have a lot of work to get done at once.

Cons

Once you're out of work to do, it gets a little slow.

More high fives. Also, let creativity flow out of every single outlet you have.

Amazing experience for any young professional.

Former Contractor - Media Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Contractor - Media Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Tocquigny as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Tocquigny does a great job of developing any talent that comes though the door. I started out at Tocquigny as an intern on the media team and ended up staying with the company for over two years. The management team is especially very good at further developing young talent and it is clear to see that the initiative comes all the way from the CEO, Yvonne. The culture is very relaxed and collaborative. Agency-wide communication is strong across media, client service, and creative teams. They company was very flexible with my school schedule while I was an intern and moved me to a contractor once I proved my worth. The company was always on top of industry trends. It was fun to watch the company shift with the constant changes in the digital industry.

Cons

It is a small company so the agency can run lean at times. This wasn't always the case though.

Keep developing young talent. Make contractors part-time employees if possible so they can receive benefits. Keep up Free Beer Friday.

Great Stepping Stone for Career

Former Intern - Executive Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Intern - Executive Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Tocquigny as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The people are smart, hard working and believe in innovation. My drive was immediately noticed during my interview and I appreciated the encouragement. Beyond innovation, the team appreciates design and creativity. Moreover, this was a great place to experience agency culture while working with smart, talented people - most of whom I've watched move onward to very successful careers. You have to get your start somewhere and Tocquigny is as good as any place. Plus, they have a great SxSWi party with a beautiful work environment.

Cons

Takes some time to get to know the teams and the company goals. Entry level pay is low.

Keep up the great work - it's a constant challenge.

Best internship I could have asked for!

Current Intern - Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Current Intern - Account Executive in Austin, TX

I have been working at Tocquigny as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Tocquigny was the most rewarding internship. I couldn't have asked for a better opportunity. As an intern at Tocquigny you will be treated like an employee working directly with the client. If you want to just put an internship on your resume, than Tocquigny is not the place for you. I worked on allocating the budget, going to meetings with the clients, and creating tangible products. This internship was the best experience. I couldn't be more grateful for what Tocquigny has taught me, this internship taught me more than any of my past three internships I have done combined. I wish I didn't have to leave this internship. I will defiantly be applying when there is a job opening available .

Cons

The miscommunication between employees. There was always a blame game if something went wrong.

Communication between employees and telling the employees to accept the responsibility of fixing the problem addressed rather than blaming another employee.

A Great Place to Get Your Feet Wet

Former Intern - Copywriter Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Intern - Copywriter Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Tocquigny as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

As an intern you are working on real project for real clients. It's not necessarily sink or swim but they do throw you into the water quickly. This may not be for everyone but it definitely benefited me greatly. No two days were alike so I felt like I was learning something new every day. Everyone was willing to give advice or help if you needed it. The entire company has a family atmosphere. This rings especially true during company outings or events. The CEO is approachable and speaks to you as an equal. Although my time there was short I really enjoyed everything I got out of it.

Cons

The clients aren't the most exciting in the world. You will occasionally have to be proactive to find something to do. That's not really a con but just a heads up to future interns.

Your internship program is wonderful and your office culture is amazing. Please keep it up.

Had Fun!

Former Contractor - Creative Director in Austin, TX
    Former Contractor - Creative Director in Austin, TX

I worked at Tocquigny as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Tocquigny has a track record of hiring very bright and talented people. It was a pleasure to work with them. I thought they paid very well, which is good.

Cons

Like any agency, you deal with demanding clients. You have to be able to deal with that kind of pressure with a sense of humor and grace.

Have regular off-site gathering outside of the office. Celebrate your success. Make sure the creative director has real people skills in addition to talent.