Tokyo Electron America

Hiroshi Takenaka

Employee for 15 years.

Current Employee - Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Innovative and collaborative company. Probably the best company I have ever worked for. TEL is concerned for their employees and the community as well as the environment.

Cons

Not really any cons. Sometime there are difficulties with language barriers. Difficulties should probably be interpreted as opportunities to grow as an individual.

Keep doing a great job.

If you aren't in the clique, you are going NO WHERE in Malta,NY

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer  in  Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Malta, NY

Pros

Good pay, decent benefits, good work schedule

Cons

The office culture is much to be desired here in Malta. If you are not part of the clique here your chances of advancement are slim to none. Promotion and job opportunity seems to be based on how many beers you have with the managers after work. Seems to be a lot of people jumping ship here in Malta going to different places around the company. Managers here will definitely hold a grudge and they just can't seem to let minor mistakes go, especially around review time, gives them something negative to put on your review. You can bust your rear end all you want here unless you are sucking up to management you are going no where. Managers attitude places a lot of stress on FE's. FE's are afraid to do the work in fear of what will come down the line. You can get an atta boy one day and be written up for something really small the next. Some managers were put in this office to get them away from the rest of the company.

Remember this, Management doesn't make the team, THE TEAM makes the managers.

The company is flailing right now

Pros

Your coworkers will probably be great, and the pay is very good. No complaints.

Cons

It's an unstable workplace. You may receive an award from an executive one month, and get written up for a minor mistake the next month. It's hard to get reliable, actionable direction.

The company does not do a good job in getting the maximum value out of its employees. The current climate of zero tolerance for mistakes pushes genuine fear into the workforce; it's terrible for morale. The other key thing that the company must address going into the merger is that all levels of management have to manage up. Even a Sr VP has to manage up to Japanese executives and be able to tell them, "We're on the right course. It looks a certain way, but your perception is incorrect, and this is why."

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The atmosphere at Tokyo Electron was awesome and everyone was extremely nice.

Former Employee - Compliance  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Compliance in Austin, TX

Pros

Everyone at Tokyo Electron was friendly and welcoming. I really enjoyed getting to know a lot of great people. There were lots of extra activities that made it fun and easier to get to know people.

Cons

I was a temp worker and felt as if the department I was in would never hire me on as a permanent employee because it was too full already. The job I had was extremely tedious and boring.

Technical Support Engineer

Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Portland, OR

Pros

Paycheck every two weeks and PPL is decent.

Cons

No chance of advancement. A lot of Nepotism. Family members hiding sons and daughters at different sights. Advertised internal openings pre filled before being announced.
    Company very cliquish! The original good old boys club from the Varian days run and control almost everything.

Remove the cliques. Don't promote nepotism! Be more open and keep employees in touch with what is happening with the companies future.

Help to rush the Merger so maybe some of the underground culture disappears.

I loved the work I did. But not everything was a good experience.

Former Employee - Field Service Engineer
    Former Employee - Field Service Engineer

Pros

The pay was good, the 12 hours shifts were not bad with the days off. I enjoyed the travel when I went to other sites. The work is something I enjoy doing and I get a lot of satisfaction from doing it well.

Cons

The people I worked with were not helpful and did not try to increase my knowledge. Most of the people are ex military and I felt like they still had that mentality. The people in the company formed their groups and if you did not fit in you may as well quit or try for a transfer. The leadership focused on the negative and kept everyone stressed to the point it was NOT fun to work there.

Set up on the job training after getting back from the class training at Corp office to reinforce what you learned. Do not put people straight to work on equipment thinking that the class was enough. Partner new people with a buddy that is proven to be a good trainer on the job.

TEA -great place

Current Employee - Process Engineer
    Current Employee - Process Engineer

Pros

TEA Austin is a great place to work.

Cons

Remote company can be hard

Share more with employees

Great place to start out, experience as a woman mixed

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Very cohesive, good co-workers, feelings of accomplishment, good learning environment, nice soft benefits, HQ in Austin is a very nice facility.

Cons

Much of middle management are not good managers, just ex-engineers with no management training or business backgrounds; many "lifers" make it hard to advance; lack of viable growth opportunities; promotions primarily based on time not accomplishments; rampant sexism and a very low ceiling glass ceiling for female employees

Rethink the promotions / advancement structure, by insisting that employees have logged "x" amount of years before they will advance, you are ensuring young innovators will jump ship for a company that rewards their ideas and hustle while only retaining the employees that stick around the longest--there has to be a better balance. Do more to encourage growth and challenge: a management trainee program; a program to help the women at the company advance

It has been a great place to start my career

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer II  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer II in Hillsboro, OR

Pros

With our large customer contracts, job security has been great. With my experience there has been no micromanaging.

Cons

I think that they could put a bigger focus on training. About 95% of what I learned was from on the job training which works but a more organized training center could help develop newer engineers better.

Good company, uncertant future

Pros

I like the culture. A lot of good people work for this company. The policy of afety first is actually followed. Good training.

Cons

Some times people don't get fired or pushed aside quick enough. Pay is below industry standard.

Worked for Tokyo Electron America? Contribute to the Community!