Tokyo Electron

3.4

Terry Higashi

Good company

I have been working at Tokyo Electron

Pros

Good company to work for fair and the training is good.

Cons

some user applications are confusing

Started as a good company. Went downhill through bad management.

Former Employee - FSE in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - FSE in Boise, ID

I worked at Tokyo Electron full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Technically advanced systems and technology.

Cons

Management. Through lack of understanding and being bullied into submission by Tokyo, management does not handle employee relations well. Boise has gone by he wayside by being out in the frontier. Austin HQ has pushed the Boise office off to the side and let the local managment use nepotism to fill its ranks with people that are less than techinically sound, but will say yes when asked. Safety is not the primary concern. When a another company had a system explode, we were informd that that is the way the industry operates, and we will just have to suck it up. They waited ever a year to publish an OSHA report, and by then most employees that were involved were no longer employed. Training is hit or miss, and is not given over need. It is given per relationship to the supervisor. Again, nepotism. I worked there 10 years and the system never changed. They have now been bought out by Applied Materials, a company that most of the FSE group left because of their employee/management policies. HR is more concerned with getting out of work before 2 PM on Friday than anything else. They have 10 managers and 2 workers. How can that be? Managers manage people. This is backwards at best! This HR group could be mepanaged by 2 people. One for HR and one for benefits.

Replace middle managmenet in most US locations. They have no way for upward mobility and will fill the ranks with friends and relatives as a result. Replace your training methods. The mechanics that work on your sports cars have better training and are higher paid. Reduce HR to 2 people. Lack of interest in employees is well served by 2 people.

Interesting Technology

Current Employee - Test Technician II in Chaska, MN
    Current Employee - Test Technician II in Chaska, MN

I have been working at Tokyo Electron full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working with such a variety of technology in one machine. Four day 10 hour work week. The best benefits package in the semiconductor tool industry. Semiautonomous work environment yielding a feeling of ownership of the quality of the produced machine. Plenty of stressful, must work operations with the resulting pleasure of accomplishment. Never ending learning.

Cons

In the middle of a great restructuring.

Continue to standardize the machine layout.

Great place to work

I worked at Tokyo Electron full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits. Starts you out at 4 weeks of pto. Work life balance. Opportunity to advance.

Cons

The business is so up and down lay offs are a common thing.

Good job despite flaws

Former Employee - Field Service Engineer
    Former Employee - Field Service Engineer

I worked at Tokyo Electron full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay. Good Job. A good semiconductor industry experience.

Cons

Procedures are difficult to get a hold of. Thrown in the first day with no prior training. Going to training in Austin is hit or miss. I was in the job for well over a year before I was considered for a training class. At this point I had a lot of experience on the tools. Knowing ANY information before being thrown in would have been extremely helpful. And since I have to do everything why can I not have procedures without a torturous search or without having to beg other employees to see a procedure?
    I had a problem with a coworker but said nothing for a very long time because I assumed I would not be taken seriously or that the boss wouldn't really do anything. When I finally did mention it because my boss was questioning my performance (I had to become completely withdrawn to avoid the unpleasant person) and I had to bring it up. I was then looked at by management differently and I was let go within 6 months. What I was let go for was nothing different than what any other employee there did. (Including management.)

Training.
    Learn from what employees are telling you.

Too much politics

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Tokyo Electron full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

None The cons outweigh the pros

Cons

Too much backstabbing, managers not reviewed, management not supportive

Review all managers

Overall Great Experience!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Tokyo Electron as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great compensation for intern program in a fun and friendly work environment!

Cons

Uncertain future with Applied Materials merger.

Upper and middle management are a pain, co-workers are nice friendly people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Tokyo Electron as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Great place to meet a number of people across a lot of different fields. Great extracurricular activities to get to meet others. Involved in the community.

Cons

Hardly any chance to move up the chain of command. Once you are in a permanent position you do not move up the chain but instead gather more responsibilities and no new title or a large pay grade raise. Middle management is everywhere especially where it seems unnecessary. Loads of red tape! Very conservative environment. A dress code that is out of date and enforced very strictly. Loads of marketing buzz words thrown out in place of real solutions to problems that arise in relation to human resource issues. I can't speak for all departments but it seems to be a trend that "yes men" are what is desired. Those who speak up too loudly are usually discouraged.

Restructure to get rid of all the middle management. Work more closely with your teams and less with each other. Communicate issues with less fluff and more directly. HR is pretty inefficient at anything not regarding beneficial extracurriculars. Rely less on favors.

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Lab Tech in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Lab Tech in Austin, TX

I worked at Tokyo Electron part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great pay benefits good company

Cons

Job security due to semiconductor industry volatility.

Good

Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I worked at Tokyo Electron full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great environment to work.

Cons

Lack of communications between the workers and the supervisors

More communications to workers