Toll Brothers

Updated February 16, 2015
3.4

Toll Brothers CEO Douglas C. Yearley, Jr
Douglas C. Yearley, Jr

Pros
  • The best part of working there was project reviews, when we had the opportunity to speak directly with senior management (in 5 reviews)

• The company has great people to work with and great benefits (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Employees undermine each other, and upper management does nothing to create a healthier work environment (in 7 reviews)

• mandatory to work every weekend, safety in model home, long hours, lack of fair compensation (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

19 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

TBI Mortgage

Former Employee - Underwriter in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Toll Brothers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Different than all the other Mortgage shops I’ve worked at. Since I was in the corporate office, I had the other departments on site with me. Made my life a lot easier with LO’s, Processors, and Closers all on site. It’s constantly busy, which makes for a fast day. Be prepared to work hard. Perhaps what was best, was knowing how stable the company was. About the only shop I’ve been at that didn’t have layoffs.

Cons

- We didn't have a digital paperless system- but that was changing when I left
    - October was very long days (year end, but received OT)

Toll is the real deal.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Toll Brothers full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I love working for a Company that just gets it. "Toll treats employees like adults and trust them to do the job you hired them to do". This is an environment that people can excel and shine. A Great Place to Work.

Cons

We should have more meet and greets. We are growing so fast that it is hard to get to know everyone.

Toll Brothers is a GREAT company to work for where hard work pays off.

I have been working at Toll Brothers full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Stable
    Family Culture
    Growth
    Benefits/401K w/ a match
    Bonuses

Cons

Busy and growing so it can get hectic...not really a bad thing though!

Keep promoting from within!

Under staffed.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Toll Brothers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Team work. Casual office environment.

Cons

Red tape in order to get anything decided on. Decision depends on a small few.

Pay to hire good people. We would all be happier and more productive with more staff.

I have been working at Toll Brothers full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good and easy to manage. Other departments ither than mortgage seem to be enjoying themselves.

Cons

There's a borderline gang mentality. If you're not in the clique, you need to watch your back. Stupidity and immaturity wins. It's embarrassing.

TBI mortgage management vps are great at managing the chaos and CYA to keep things the same but will never improve.

Typical Corporate Setting - Architecture Dept.

Current Employee - Studio Associate II in Horsham, PA
    Current Employee - Studio Associate II in Horsham, PA

I have been working at Toll Brothers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is very large, and as a result, is resilient to most economic downturns. The benefits packages are standard for most larger companies as are the salaries. There are many opportunities to acquire extra pay through overtime, and occasional incentives for increased production beyond the yearly bonuses. The overtime is optional which means that there is a very fair balance between work and life but if you choose to participate, you can make large sums of extra money. There are always new initiatives for employee satisfaction to increase morale in this department.

Company (not department specific) Perks:
    On campus gym
    Game/Break room
    Lots of friendly people
    Holiday celebration contests/parties

Cons

The work is monotonous and will largely go without any type of accolade. Because there are employees that have been here for a while and plan on staying around, there is slim to no chance of upward promotion. The promotions are, as far as can be discerned, not based on any objective data but rather seem to be handed out in terms of year of service or at managers subjective discretion.

Architecture Specific: When implementing large scale updates to the product, allow time for employees to fully finish what they need to before implementing another. The backlog of outdated work will only hurt the company in the end.

Allow lower level employees to experience more of the company operations outside of the office environment.

FANTSTIC!

Current Employee - Graphic Artist in Horsham, PA
    Current Employee - Graphic Artist in Horsham, PA

I have been working at Toll Brothers full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great people, Great office location, Great benefits, Down to earth, Training, and anything else you could wish for in a job!

Cons

The bathroom is far from my desk.

Keep it up!

TBI Mortgage ***beware*****

Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Specialist in Horsham, PA
    Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Specialist in Horsham, PA

I have been working at Toll Brothers full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's hard to think of a pro here. I would say the only pro is that you have a constant stream of business coming in from the builder (Toll), however that pro turns out to be a con. "Toll wants their cake and to eat it too"
    Benefits are fair to good.

Cons

Too many chiefs, very top heavy with too many senior management roles. Old school mentality. Technology challenged. Isn't run like a mortgage company. Comp plans are unfair. Too much ego, not enough "get-it-done" attitude. Turnover is outrageous, over 50% this year alone. They feed lies to their employees and give false expectations to any new hires. You have been warned!

Check your egos at the door!

Great company

I have been working at Toll Brothers full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Talk about a company that gives back. Very impressed with corporate culture and the way employees are valued. A fairly forward thinking company for being over 40 years old.

Cons

Unfortunately not everyone can afford a Toll Home, they make a great product.

Continue to hire great people, you can train skill, you cannot train personality and determination.

Terrible Place to Work - Don't Accept a Job Offer!!

Former Employee - Property Manager in Horsham, PA
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Horsham, PA

I worked at Toll Brothers full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There were a few nice co-workers.

Cons

I was a property manager at Dreshertowne in Horsham, PA, and I accepted this position after ten years with another organization. You feel as though you must walk on eggshells around everyone, because there is so much gossip and ill--will amongst employees, who should be working together as a team. Employees undermine each other, and upper management does nothing to create a healthier work environment. Additionally, upper management is very unreasonable with work load, way too demanding and hard on their employees. They are not knowledgeable about the day-to-day operation, and spend way too much time nitpicking every little detail, in the midst, loosing the big picture. Regional manager, who is new, instead of working with the property manager, constantly undermined her. Nasty comments They have no respect for their employees or their customers. If you have other options for employment, go for it, but, whatever you do, do not work for Dreshertowne in Horsham / Toll Management. Horrible!

Fire Yourselves and Start Over! Eventually your business will deteriorate because of how you treat your employees and your customers.