Toll Brothers

Updated September 23, 2014
2.7

Toll Brothers CEO Douglas C. Yearley, Jr
Douglas C. Yearley, Jr

Pros
  • The company has great people to work with and great benefits (in 4 reviews)

• The best part of working there was project reviews, when we had the opportunity to speak directly with senior management (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Employees undermine each other, and upper management does nothing to create a healthier work environment (in 7 reviews)

• mandatory to work every weekend, safety in model home, long hours, lack of fair compensation (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

FANTSTIC!

Current Employee - Graphic Artist  in  Horsham, PA
    Current Employee - Graphic Artist in Horsham, PA

I have been working at Toll Brothers full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people, Great office location, Great benefits, Down to earth, Training, and anything else you could wish for in a job!

Cons

The bathroom is far from my desk.

Keep it up!

Assistant Project Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Project Manager  in  Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Toll Brothers full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fair pay. Good coworkers. Corporate sounded very interested in making the transition smooth and develop long lasting relationships.

Cons

Poorly managed integration of CamWest into Toll Brothers. The technology options were terribly outdated. It negatively affected my productivity. Too many "programs" intended to make project management easier, but made the team very ineffective.

Make the full merge into Toll Brothers.

It's competitive, but everyone I've worked with has been extremely nice and they want to see you succeed.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Toll Brothers

Pros

Other employees are great, they want to see you move up, and they provide good training. Pay is what's to be expected.

Cons

Although they do want to see you move up, things can be very slow moving. You have to really prove yourself, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you're in sales you have to work weekends.

None

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pay plan was very low in comparison to industry standards

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Toll Brothers full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The benefits were somewhat good

Cons

Training was poor, was extremely difficult to get time off for family, the company structure was not conducive for growth from the sales side

Change the structure so that the sales side has the opportunity to grow upward and in to upper management positions.

Good experience

I have been working at Toll Brothers

Pros

love the exercise and the food

Cons

no cons , nothing, everything was nice

TBI Mortgage ***beware*****

Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Specialist  in  Horsham, PA
    Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Specialist in Horsham, PA

I have been working at Toll Brothers full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's hard to think of a pro here. I would say the only pro is that you have a constant stream of business coming in from the builder (Toll), however that pro turns out to be a con. "Toll wants their cake and to eat it too"
    Benefits are fair to good.

Cons

Too many chiefs, very top heavy with too many senior management roles. Old school mentality. Technology challenged. Isn't run like a mortgage company. Comp plans are unfair. Too much ego, not enough "get-it-done" attitude. Turnover is outrageous, over 50% this year alone. They feed lies to their employees and give false expectations to any new hires. You have been warned!

Check your egos at the door!

Poor leadership from management. No growth opportunity.

I worked at Toll Brothers full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's been a steady job and I like a few of my co-workers.

Cons

Low salary and no growth opportunity. Despite going above and beyond and regularly receiving glowing reviews year after year I was still not given a significant raise or promotion. "It's just not in the budget" was a common excuse, yet the upper managers were still collecting their bonuses. The financial bottom line is all that management cares about. They cut corners by paying their direct employees poorly and hiring the cheapest contractors available. The amount of warranty requests because of shoddy workmanship speaks for itself. Managers also have the worst communication I've ever experienced. No one knows what anyone else is doing so a lot of time is wasted by multiple people all doing the same thing. My direct manager puts on a show of "making himself available" but in reality he is never really available. I've had to have the same conversation, with the same information, numerous times because my manager just doesn't remember anything. Waste of time. There are several senior VPs who are downright verbally abusive yet no one ever addresses this with them. It is just accepted that that's how they are. Like it or leave it. This is probably why the turn over rate is so high.

Treat your employees with respect!

Great place to learn.

Former Employee - Assistant Project Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Toll Brothers full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you are new to development this place is great to learn. They have enough money behind them that they aren't as concerned with the little mistakes as they are with keeping the machine moving.

Cons

There are a lot of software programs specific to Toll that will take time to learn. There are a lot of systems because they are so large, it can get messy with paper work.

PM's bonus should be based off of how many homes they close.

In the dictionary: "Toll Brothers Employee: Overworked and Underpaid"

I have been working at Toll Brothers full-time

Pros

Learning that a name behind a company means nothing....the people could make or break a reputation of a company. Learning leadership is a value that can not be generated with salary or title. Learning that people value themselves proving there is an 'i' in team. Learning that perks are not a free lunch...there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Cons

Overworked and underpaid. Organized chaos. Bully behaviors in the whole company. Inflated egos and not caring about the customers or the salespeople. Without them management wouldn't have a job. The commissions are nothing short of a joke. Selling a million dollar home and it would be lucky to pay half the grocery bill for 2 weeks. Mandatory meetings without pay driving with traffic after a long day is a crime. Guess a corporation is not fearful to be sued. The benefits? Have a job to lose everything else in life....is that a benefit? Unless you are willing to play mean girls or men in a locker room becoming so ugly with jealousy...this company in this state will always be forever known as a bunch of crooks ruining the name behind the man who started the company. They don't care about anyone but themselves...lower and upper management will throw a baby under a bus just to walk over them and get their afternoon coffee faster. Breaking laws is a common practice on so many levels. If a tester gets hired, resume/references/dedication shines and a good-looking woman....they'd hit the lotto.

It's a job. It's a professional career. Grow up. Jealousy isn't a good look. Learn it's a working environment not a competition or a locker room to bully and humiliate your team. Dragging down a person doesn't build anyone up. Learn about self respect so you may respect others. Learn salespeople are the heart of the business, without them you wouldn't have a job. The board members want numbers, well let sales do their job and sell. Instead of treating them like slaves to jump up and down, in circles for hours for nothing short of entertainment purposes and instant ego booster. Have meetings with a purpose of having a meeting; and not a weekly mandatory meeting just to see our faces after a 10 hour day of organized chaos and having to drive long distances in to it. Leaving customers without a way to buy a home...losing customers losing company numbers. Chasing tail is the name of the game with this company. Compensation improvement? Selling a $3.5 billion home and walking away with $100 check should be a crime. Giving credit where credit is due is something a good manger would do. Learn personal accountability and not ask others to lie or cover up for you. Learn integrity.

Less than accomodating

I worked at Toll Brothers full-time for more than a year

Pros

Loved my job and customers

Cons

self serving for company without thought to negative circumstances

Provide more work balance and listen to what employees have to say and provide positive work environments

Worked for Toll Brothers? Contribute to the Community!