Toll Brothers Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014

2.6

Toll Brothers CEO Douglas C. Yearley, Jr
Douglas C. Yearley, Jr

Pros
  • The company has great people to work with and great benefits (in 3 reviews)

• The best part of working there was project reviews, when we had the opportunity to speak directly with senior management (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Employees undermine each other, and upper management does nothing to create a healthier work environment (in 7 reviews)

• mandatory to work every weekend, safety in model home, long hours, lack of fair compensation (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

ANTIQUATED!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Upper Marlboro, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Upper Marlboro, MD

I have been working at Toll Brothers full-time for more than a year

Pros

Beautiful enviroment although noone is happy! The company sets the stage for employees to be competitive and backstabbing because they fear for their jobs!!

Cons

Walmart business ethic! Nonone is valuable to them. You are replaceable! Do t hink you are not. Continue to look for a job while employed with Toll Bros, they have a high turnover rate.

You ALL NEED DIVERSITY TRAINING!!!

a cog in a very large and efficient machine.

Current Employee - Studio Associate II  in  Horsham, PA
    Current Employee - Studio Associate II in Horsham, PA

I have been working at Toll Brothers full-time for less than a year

Pros

In Toll Architecture, the work environment at corporate is very good. They take care of their employees, there is a lot of firm culture, and there is plenty of room to grow to some degree.

They really support young staff to pursue professional registration.

Cons

you are essentially pushing out a product that you will never see again. you are also a part of a very long assembly line, just upstream from the TIS facility.

Also, the "third floor" only cares about numbers. There is some new stuff happening, but its slow and regurgitated.

Up's and Down's with Toll Brothers

I worked at Toll Brothers full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

For the most part, the homeowners, office staff and construction staff are good to work with.

Cons

Upper management doesn't have good people skills and can be much too demanding most of the time. * hours is not enough...10 hours is not enough...12 hours is not enough. Always want more than you can give. That's why many very good managers and other staff have left.

Be kinder and gentler to your quality staff members, regardless of which area they work in. Yes, you CAN always hire new people, but retaining your current staff who are good at what they do should be your priority, and when I worked for Toll, that was not an option. Now however, I understand all the nasty upper management have either left or were asked to leave. THAT is a good thing.....too bad I no longer live by Toll Brother communities or I would love to go back to work for them.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best of the bunch

I have been working at Toll Brothers full-time

Pros

Good company to work for with dedicated and smart management

Cons

Compensation lags a little behind competitors

Hire more people

Great Members, Good Managers, and Poor Pay

I worked at Toll Brothers part-time

Pros

Members of the club treat the staff very well. The tips help to make the pay more reasonable, and management is flexible with hours.

Cons

The hourly rate is more than most servers make, but Toll Bros charges a service charge on all checks, which doesn't go to the servers. 12 hour shifts are the norm, and breaks are few and far between.

My experience fit the Job Description

I have been working at Toll Brothers

Pros

Pleasant environment to work in.

Cons

None that I can think of

Worst job I've ever had

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Toll Brothers full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked as a sales associate at three gorgeous, very high-end properties (all homes $1 million - $5 million). Met some decent people working there -- lots of bonding over mutual hate and mistrust towards the organization.

Decent sales training, though the national sales trainer is HORRIBLE. While it is definitely cheesy, they do focus on relationship selling and the sales process, which is much different than other organization's training programs.

The best part of working there was project reviews, when we had the opportunity to speak directly with senior management. My division President was actually a great guy who was open to many ideas, but he was so far removed from the day-to-day (and several levels of management away from me) that he never saw how bad things really were, or that ideas he approved were never carried out.

Cons

Let me first say that I actually left on good terms with the company and have gone back to visit my projects several times (though my project manager, sales manager, and many others within my division have left since I did) -- so I'm not a scorned or fired employee, I just want people to have realistic expectiations for what they are getting into.

Working at Toll Brothers was literally the worst job I've ever had. However, due to the size of the organization, I think there is a big difference in your experience depending on what region you work in.

The company culture is just awful. A true example of being poorly run from the top down. Because I worked at some of the most prestigious projects, I had regular face time with Zvi, who was not at all nice. Bruce Toll yelled at one of our sales associate's for not immeadiately recognizing him (typical, do you know who I am?!). Everything is run by fear and demoralizing their employees. Definitely experienced yelling and cursing from senior management, and everyone is constantly terrified, ultimately causing blame to be shifted around endlessly.

Extreme understaffing -- management's demands were just unreasonable. Two sales people running two very busy projects cannot be expected to answer the phones (would not even give us a receptionist, or even a temp), show the models, write contracts, plan and attend events (required at least one per week), stuff brochures, send out postcards/do marketing, etc. Resulted in working 6-7 days per week. My sales manager also paid out of her own pocket to have someone come in and stuff brochures, file, and handle other tasks we couldn't get to.

Extreme disregard for your personal life -- vacations were virtually unheard of, worked late on Monday nights (generally 12+ hour days), and I was explicitly told on multiple occaisions that I was not allowed to EVER take a lunch break.

Way, way too much paperwork. Their contract database is extremely old, cumbersome and difficult to use.

Tons of red tape within the organization. Everyone is terrified to approve anything, so nothing ever gets accomplished.

Almost no room for advancement once you get to Sales Manager, but your salary could increase depending on what project you work at.

Sometimes you have to spend money to make money -- stop being so cheap with staffing, there are other ways to cut costs. You should let the sales people SELL, and not force them into so many other roles.

There is also a noticeable lack of concern for customer satasfaction, and too much focus on company dollars, that will ultimately lead to unhappy homeowners and failure of the organization.

America's OK luxury home builder .

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Toll Brothers full-time for more than a year

Pros

Comfortable work atmosphere, easy to use contracts, forms, letters, and company interface smooth and easy to use, coworkers were nice and interacted well between all levels of management and the building process.

Cons

Too focused on cheesy selling techniques and homebuyer functions that only brought the same people every time, always about the bottom line but the economy was bad and people were taking longer, "go sell something"- really?, switched sales managers between locations too frequently.

You would tell us to sell but then get in the way of closing a deal or would give too much to the potential homebuyer that made us look desperate. As a sales associate I called potentials and kept homebuyers updated on building process, but when I took over contracts and you didn't give any of the commission to me I wondered why I was doing my work at all. You also moved sales managers around the community so frequently it was hard for me to ever learn their methods for sales and instead had to focus on the way they organized files, contracts, etc. It was very frustrating because I felt like the higher ups were never happy with our numbers no matter how well we did.

Okay

I worked at Toll Brothers full-time

Pros

Found some enjoyable people. Pretty properties.

Cons

Typical company. Lots of red tape.

Good.

The worst company I ever worked for

Former Employee - Property Manager  in  Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Malvern, PA

I worked at Toll Brothers full-time for less than a year

Pros

None, run for the hills as fast as possible.

Cons

Everything you can imagine nightmare

Fire yourself

Worked for Toll Brothers? Contribute to the Community!