Tolt Service Group

Add Photos

Tolt Service Group CEO Mark Slaven

Mark Slaven

Small Company Mentality struggling to survive in the Major Leagues

Executive Account Manager (Current Employee)
    Charlotte, NC

ProsFull Time employment and Flexibility

ConsPoor management from Top Down
    CEO is concerned about himself and not the employees
    Expensive benefits
    Crab in the barrel Mentality
    Very Low Moral and dissatisfied employees

Advice to Senior ManagementStop posting surveys and start implementing some of the suggestions
    Show some appreciation for your employees
    Take some tips from your competitors on how to survive in the POS industry
    Rake through some of your long time employees with a fine tooth comb. Everyone hanging around for 10 years is not always a positive asset for your organization

Completely unorganized company from top to bottom

Regional Service Technician I (Current Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsCompany vehicle, gas card, lap top, and cell phone

ConsZero overtime, constantly asked to work days off. Hardly getting 40 hours a week. Raise was 20 cents after 2 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart completely over with everything. Respect your employees more. People do not work for pats on the back and "good jobs". Need a better raise/bonus program

Disorganized from the top down. CEO has his head in the sand.

Human Resources (Former Employee)
    Charlotte, NC

ProsIndividual Contributors really care about their jobs
    Lots of potential
    Internal Promotions are available

ConsDysfunctional Environment
    Concerns are never appropriately addressed
    Senior Management has openly made comments about how they have to "take care of themselves"
    High Turnover

Advice to Senior ManagementTake stock in your leadership team. Your employment practices make you susceptible to legal action if employees wise up. You have great employees there who don't deserve some of the shameful treatment they receive.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Circling the drain...

Technician (Current Employee)

ProsCompany vehicle, laptop, mobile hotspot, cell phone, fuel card.

ConsThe HR department rules this company with an iron, yet schizophrenic fist:

- Upper-level management isn't allowed to make simple decisions like hiring or termination.

- The HR department creates policy at whim, and without any oversight whatsoever. This policy is only communicated verbally, as the company handbook hasn't been updated in 3 years. Failure to comply with this verbal policy will result in termination.

- The idea of bolstering employee morale is openly laughed at by management.

- Almost all promotion opportunities are filled from outside the company. Promotion from within doesn't exist.

- Employees are threatened with thinly-veiled, quasi-illegal threats. For example: "The company is on an overtime freeze. We have service calls that need to be closed, but you will go into overtime if you go close them. The calls need to be closed, but remember no overtime allowed..."

- The benefits are barely "beneficial", and are incredibly expensive.

- Training for any role within the company whatsoever is non-existent.

- People who go out of their way to achieve are utterly ignored.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice? Start over. Fire the CEO, fire the board, fire the HR department, and start over with a group of people capable of executing a coherent business plan. Build a company culture where people actually feel compelled to exceed expectations. Hire a HR department who is capable of acting in the best interests of both the company and its employees. In short: respect people as human beings. It's that simple.

Was nice in the beginning and now it's a downhill slide for employees

Regional Deployment Installer II (Current Employee)
    Milwaukee, WI

ProsCompany vehicle, gas card, laptop, cell phone, mainly work weekdays, paid travel time, customers appreciate you

ConsNo rise in pay like it should be for good workers. Told that we are over paid now as of lately. Completely unorganized chaos at all times with all projects with all customers. No training of any kind, no documentation of any kind for most project work. Outsource most all jobs nowadays. No way to make up hours if no projects available. Forced to take unemployment when this occurs. Benefits costs are now outrageous after a few years working here. Nowhere to move up and no hint of how to.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should respect your good employees that take care of your paying customers well and provide some form of a raise on a yearly basis if the CEO claims we are doing better every year in his wonderful videos. Otherwise, try to keep people around better. Your turn around rate is dramatically horrible.

“Poor career decision detriment that was a complete waste of the many years working here.”

RST II (Former Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsCompany car dispatched from home.
    Company paid gas card.
    Pay checks do not bounce.
    Direct deposit.
    difficult to find 20 word minimum on Pros.

ConsSeveral years with this company and a complete career mistake. Always completing high call volume, great customer reviews, excellent performance reviews with one salary increase, one pay cut, 3 no increase years.
    You can expect to be a senior guy within 6 months due to the high turnover rate.
    You can expect your manager to tell you he’s working hard to get your promotion / raise but hands are tied then will put you on an escalation team causing you to put in more time off the clock managing response to after hour calls so the manager isn’t bothered on his day off.
    You can expect to receive NO compensation for moving for the company to another service are to help the company do a better job for their customer. The move will be on your own, at your expense and on your time or get threatened with layoffs.
    You can expect to hear complaints from many employees with managers that patronize you with very high technician turnover rate. Your manager also has never been in field service and has no clue as to what you need to do to get your job done, he only knows how to read a report and has no clue as to what is behind the number he reads on a report. You’re expected to be on call 24/7 with no compensation.
    If you go work all day, get home, have a midnight service call, there is no overtime compensation. Your reward for getting out of bed in the middle of the night and leave your family is to get your hours cut later in the week to keep you at or under 40 hours although your expected to stay available 24/7.
    Expect to have an extreme micro manager at least in my area. He is so insecure, when he goes on vacation he will tell you to be sure you and everyone is working because the company is looking at our area for layoffs.
    Expect when calls are lite you will only get paid for time traveling time and time on site.
    Expect a 50% DOA rate on parts received accept if it was repaired by an outside vendor. Also expect if you submit a DOA part using the system provided will start a finger pointing match on who is at fault.
    Expect when there are calls to run but getting close to 40 hours you’ll be expected to run those calls off the clock. The conversation will go like this:
    Emp: hello manager, I’m calling ahead of time to let you know there are calls to run and I will go into overtime to complete. MGR: Well, we need the calls completed but overtime is not approved. EMP: Travel time will put me over 40 so if I run the call it will put me over 40 hrs. MGR: I understand but they’re looking at layoffs and can’t approve overtime but need the calls completed. EMP: if I run the call I will go into overtime. MGR: Well, I can get someone else to run the call but won’t have any input when they have layoffs. RESULT, Employee runs call in fear of losing his job. Sends an email to his manager later stating he forgot to punch out and have his manager put time that keeps him under or at 40 hrs. Calls mysteriously get completed…

Advice to Senior ManagementExpect an even higher turnover rate when the economy turns around.

RST II

RST II (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsCompany vehicle, Gas card, company cell phone, company computer.

ConsNo pay raise , some defective parts. But things are improving

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep improving, keep listening.

Service Tech I

Regional Service Technician I (Current Employee)

ProsYou got a company laptop, truck, gas card, cell phone and had somewhat flexible hours so long as ticket SLA's are being met. The co-workers were pretty good and a good way to learn some things about troubleshooting.

ConsDuring my tenure I was underpaid, overworked and worked some really odd hours sometimes due to sev 1 or 2 tickets. Also the raises were horrible, there was no on call pay, no personal life most of the time (partly due to work ethic) and no overtime. Also, if your zone partner was off or useless you wouldn't always get a lot of sleep depending upon the zone.

Bad Parts, Poor Management, No Raises or Career Growth

RST II (Current Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsCustomers have respect for you. (If you know what you are doing...)

ConsThis company has ongoing issues with parts availability and defective parts.

Management appears to have never worked in the field or customer service industry and has little to no respect for the technicians.

There is absolutely no career path within TOLT. There are people that have been with TOLT for several years that haven't seen a dime in the way of a salary increase, bonus, or cost of living adjustment.

The company expects you to pull a 40 hour work week at their discretion and expect you to be on-call 24x7. You do get overtime if you go over 40 hours, but they try to regulate your daily hours so that you never can achieve over 40 hours.

The benefits are bare bones and they don't match anything with their 401K plan.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should take care of your technicians and address your parts issues before it is too late. Customers aren't blind and they will go with other service companies that have working parts and exceptional technicians. Provide your employees with a career path or at a minimum give them an incentive to stay with the company.

very hard company to work for.

Tech III (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

Prosvan and gas card.thats about it.

ConsIts who you know not what you know! Once you make a certain hieght your sure to get fired.There is no room for life in this company.I feed my kids and wife thats why I stayed.Parts don't work half the time. And the backbone of company (field Techs are totally not appreciated) If they can save money they will at all cost. I Must say there is alot managers that simply knew somebody and had no field experience I worked ten years got to as far as you can in field, then was fired they have all this policies in place for that reason. Its a real shame!!!

Advice to Senior Managementlook for ways to help the Techs better support your custormer. And make sure to actually talk to them when you are going to let them go so you can at least here from them on the circumstances. I hope things get turned around for all those techs I worked with for ten years. I truly do,God Bless!!

Worked for Tolt Service Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tolt Service Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Tolt Service Group CEO Mark Slaven. All 41 reviews posted anonymously by Tolt Service Group employees.