Tolt Service Group

Mark Slaven

Repair Technician

Current Employee - Repair Technician  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Repair Technician in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Tolt Service Group as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Not recognized for the skills you have but recieve a check every week for only 40hrs.

Cons

Training ,tools,parts. nonexistent. Favortism throughout the company. More concern about rate even if yu don't have the proper training,parts,tools,soldering tools to do the job sufficiently.

No personal growth due to lack of training,tools, show favortism to certain employees. Make promises about getting hired but only want contract to go though the cyle because they don't want to spend money to hire or for that fact anything to make the job easier.

Dismal

I worked at Tolt Service Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Customers, paychewck on time, 401K, vehicle, gas

Cons

too much work, too many things to master, screwed up mgmt. organazation

treat your techs better, have a direct communication channel to NC mgmt. staff, stop micro-managing your people

Thanks, but no thanks!

Former Employee - Regional Deployment Installer
    Former Employee - Regional Deployment Installer

I worked at Tolt Service Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company vehicle, laptop & phone. You get a check every other week and work alone most of the time.

Cons

No time for personal life. Absolutely no room for advancement. You have to give up so much personal time that it is not worth it.

Re-evaluate everything!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Field service engineer

Former Employee - Field Engineer  in  Canton, MA
    Former Employee - Field Engineer in Canton, MA

I worked at Tolt Service Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hours were flexible but too many days are long

Cons

Too many calls and too little time tonresolve

Better balance to work and home life

OOPs, I thought they had great ideas, BUT

Current Employee - Regional Service Technician I  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Regional Service Technician I in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Tolt Service Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

All the usual reasons for field techs. Vehicle, and the tools to do the work.

Cons

OMG here comes the take over. Looks like some college kids with daddies money need some toys to play with.

Micro management that has no experience in the field.

Technical abilities and customer satisfaction means nothing if you don't make the numbers and don't have the necessary administrative skills.

As if they would read this?!
    Maybe I am a dinosaur or Prima donna. But Walmart greeters get more respect.

24/7 but no overtime

Former Employee - Field Service Tech  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Field Service Tech in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Tolt Service Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay check clears
    Company provided van and gas card
    Company provided laptop and phone
    I can not think of much more.

Cons

You are on call 24/7. If your co-worker does not take his calls, you are called in the middle of the night. Good parts are few and far between. Management takes on new contracts and then does not have the money to supply enough parts. Upper management is more interested in micro management then fixing the real issues. If you can find another job, I would suggest it. No upper mobility. Extremely expensive benefits. No 401k match.

Try putting some employees that actually have worked in the field in management positions and know what it takes to get the job done instead of kids of former companies that you bought out.

Just looking for a way out

Current Employee - RST II  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - RST II in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Tolt Service Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Paycheck clears every two weeks

Cons

Too Many to list so I will not waste my time

They are not going to listen anyone so why bother

Disorganized from the top down. CEO has his head in the sand.

Former Employee - Human Resources  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Tolt Service Group full-time

Pros

Individual Contributors really care about their jobs
    Lots of potential
    Internal Promotions are available

Cons

Dysfunctional Environment
    Concerns are never appropriately addressed
    Senior Management has openly made comments about how they have to "take care of themselves"
    High Turnover

Take stock in your leadership team. Your employment practices make you susceptible to legal action if employees wise up. You have great employees there who don't deserve some of the shameful treatment they receive.

Circling the drain...

Current Employee - Technician
    Current Employee - Technician

I have been working at Tolt Service Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company vehicle, laptop, mobile hotspot, cell phone, fuel card.

Cons

The HR department rules this company with an iron, yet schizophrenic fist:

- Upper-level management isn't allowed to make simple decisions like hiring or termination.

- The HR department creates policy at whim, and without any oversight whatsoever. This policy is only communicated verbally, as the company handbook hasn't been updated in 3 years. Failure to comply with this verbal policy will result in termination.

- The idea of bolstering employee morale is openly laughed at by management.

- Almost all promotion opportunities are filled from outside the company. Promotion from within doesn't exist.

- Employees are threatened with thinly-veiled, quasi-illegal threats. For example: "The company is on an overtime freeze. We have service calls that need to be closed, but you will go into overtime if you go close them. The calls need to be closed, but remember no overtime allowed..."

- The benefits are barely "beneficial", and are incredibly expensive.

- Training for any role within the company whatsoever is non-existent.

- People who go out of their way to achieve are utterly ignored.

My advice? Start over. Fire the CEO, fire the board, fire the HR department, and start over with a group of people capable of executing a coherent business plan. Build a company culture where people actually feel compelled to exceed expectations. Hire a HR department who is capable of acting in the best interests of both the company and its employees. In short: respect people as human beings. It's that simple.

“Poor career decision detriment that was a complete waste of the many years working here.”

Former Employee - RST II  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - RST II in Tampa, FL

I worked at Tolt Service Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company car dispatched from home.
    Company paid gas card.
    Pay checks do not bounce.
    Direct deposit.
    difficult to find 20 word minimum on Pros.

Cons

Several years with this company and a complete career mistake. Always completing high call volume, great customer reviews, excellent performance reviews with one salary increase, one pay cut, 3 no increase years.
    You can expect to be a senior guy within 6 months due to the high turnover rate.
    You can expect your manager to tell you he’s working hard to get your promotion / raise but hands are tied then will put you on an escalation team causing you to put in more time off the clock managing response to after hour calls so the manager isn’t bothered on his day off.
    You can expect to receive NO compensation for moving for the company to another service are to help the company do a better job for their customer. The move will be on your own, at your expense and on your time or get threatened with layoffs.
    You can expect to hear complaints from many employees with managers that patronize you with very high technician turnover rate. Your manager also has never been in field service and has no clue as to what you need to do to get your job done, he only knows how to read a report and has no clue as to what is behind the number he reads on a report. You’re expected to be on call 24/7 with no compensation.
    If you go work all day, get home, have a midnight service call, there is no overtime compensation. Your reward for getting out of bed in the middle of the night and leave your family is to get your hours cut later in the week to keep you at or under 40 hours although your expected to stay available 24/7.
    Expect to have an extreme micro manager at least in my area. He is so insecure, when he goes on vacation he will tell you to be sure you and everyone is working because the company is looking at our area for layoffs.
    Expect when calls are lite you will only get paid for time traveling time and time on site.
    Expect a 50% DOA rate on parts received accept if it was repaired by an outside vendor. Also expect if you submit a DOA part using the system provided will start a finger pointing match on who is at fault.
    Expect when there are calls to run but getting close to 40 hours you’ll be expected to run those calls off the clock. The conversation will go like this:
    Emp: hello manager, I’m calling ahead of time to let you know there are calls to run and I will go into overtime to complete. MGR: Well, we need the calls completed but overtime is not approved. EMP: Travel time will put me over 40 so if I run the call it will put me over 40 hrs. MGR: I understand but they’re looking at layoffs and can’t approve overtime but need the calls completed. EMP: if I run the call I will go into overtime. MGR: Well, I can get someone else to run the call but won’t have any input when they have layoffs. RESULT, Employee runs call in fear of losing his job. Sends an email to his manager later stating he forgot to punch out and have his manager put time that keeps him under or at 40 hrs. Calls mysteriously get completed…

Expect an even higher turnover rate when the economy turns around.

Worked for Tolt Service Group? Contribute to the Community!