Tom James Company Reviews

Updated April 17, 2015
90 reviews filtered by
3.6
Sergio Casalena

Pros
  • Get to work with successful people and build great connections (in 7 reviews)

• Sales techniques learned in a direct sales organization (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of the hard work you'll be doing your first 3 years in the business will be (in 7 reviews)

• Know that you can start off strong BUT you will be working long hours with little time for vacation (in 7 reviews)

Hard work, long hours

I worked at Tom James Company

Pros

Excellent training, benefits and compensation for meeting sales quotas. The company is a great place to learn and grow. Good looking / great people

Cons

Cold calling long hours expensive products. I was in a small saturated market hard for quick growth. 100% commission after 10 months

2. Decent place for get a start

I worked at Tom James Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, always interesting day to day.

Cons

Limited pay for alot of work, no opportunities outside of sales. The company has a very clicky.

3. Client rep support

I worked at Tom James Company

Pros

great company to work for

Cons

their are no cons for this company

Advice to Management

Continue great work

Outdated company with no room for development

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Tom James Company as an intern

Pros

There are some really great people working at Tom James who will take the time to truly get to know you and help you to be the best.

Cons

The company overall does not seem like it's adapting to the changing environments and thinking about improving for the future. They are very stingy and don't seem to invest in research and development.

Advice to Management

invest more in your company and think more about the future. adapt to the changing environment.

While working here I gained experience and knowledge of the inner workings of the corporate world; no room for growth.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Franklin, TN
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Franklin, TN

I worked at Tom James Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Diversity, never got bored, opportunity to learn about any department you want to.

Cons

The pay is terrible, especially considering how much responsibility you have.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, not only give them the opportunity to move up within the company - encourage it!! The pay is terrible, especially for an established company such as this.

Great opportunity, poor local leadership

Former Employee - Professional Clothier in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Professional Clothier in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Tom James Company

Pros

Make your own schedule, working with C-level executives, great perks for hitting goals

Cons

Poor management of local office

8. Whoa

Current Employee - Professional Clothier in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Professional Clothier in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Team members want you to succeed. Sr leaders are top notch people.

Cons

Very weird approach to cold calling ~ if you don't like cold calling move along. You WILL NOT make much money your 1st year. You WILL COLD CALL everyday and see busy successful people.

Advice to Management

Be honest when hiring ~ leaders mislead to on bard..

Unless you like being someone's ticket to building there business once you quit, I would choose a different company

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Tom James Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The clientele. You get to work with some of the TOP people in your city that you most likely would have never worked with.
    The meetings twice a year are always in cool locations.

Cons

It is a common response when asked how to build your business for a LEADER to say, just hire a bunch of people and wait for them to quit. You can just take their clients after that.

Advice to Management

Make it more difficult for people to get into leadership. Hitting numbers does not make you a good leader.

In 1995 I came to Tom James to buy a suit. I bought a great suit and got a 20 year career!

Current Employee - Sales Leader
    Current Employee - Sales Leader

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love working at Tom James! I have been blessed beyond what I would have ever imagined when I started. I came to Tom James in in 1995 at the age of 23, I was mentored by some of the wisest men I have ever met. I had the opportunity to meet with our division leader, president and CEO as much as I needed to. These leaders helps me uncover my goals both personally and professionally.

I bought in early to the opportunity. When I had been at Tom James for 18 months I was allowed to open my own store. For 18 years I have hired and trained other sales professionals. Because of their success in selling I have made over 1 million dollars in leadership pay alone. My cumulative earnings have now surpassed 2.5 million dollars over 20 years. Having met many business owners over the years I have met very few people who could earn what I have earned and made no capital investment in their business. My investment was in time and energy alone.

I also subscribed to the stock. It has been an amazing investment. Having contributed to 401k and other outside investments over the last 20 years it has far surpassed anything else I have participated in. My stock is currently worth over 1 million dollars also. Last year my dividend was 15,000 dollars.

While the compensation has been extraordinary, it's not even the biggest benefit. I was raised by a single mom in very poor economic circumstances. Having worked alongside the principled leaders in our company I have been mentored on how to be a better business person, husband and father. Without the mentors that I had at Tom James I am scared to think where my life would be today.

Forbes magazine published an article in the December 1997 issue about our founder Mr. Spencer Hays. That month Forbes profiled companies with a share the wealth philosophy. Tom James was one of the featured companies profiled by Forbes because of the generosity of Mr. Hays. The unlimited opportunity, the ability to earn stock, the chance to be promoted based on merit alone, profit sharing, etc... Have all been true In my tenure. As I have seen my college friends and contemporaries move from job to job I have stayed where I was planted. And I have been richly rewarded for it.

Cons

It's disheartening to read about some people's experiences with Tom James. My experience was so much different that what has been described by a few people who left. I take the responsibility of helping people that are hired by Tom James to achieve success quickly. And to some degree the reviews of people who didn't achieve success at Tom James is a charge on me and all leaders in Tom James. I would love it if no one ever left. I would love it if everyone archived their personal and professional goals while they are here. I am thankful for forums like this as it will ultimately help us become a better company.

It hasn't always been easy. And yes at times I have considered leaving Tom James. Over the years we have experienced some growing pains. We have tried many different approaches to hiring and training. Some of them got great results and some didn't. Some people were hired and were not given the best circumstances. While others had leaders that didn't pour into them what my leaders poured into me. For new partners to achieve success their must be 100 percent accountability by both leaders and salespeople.

Currently the training program is as good as we have ever had. And we are greeting better results with our new partners now that when I as new.

Advice to Management

I would love to see us have more input from sales people on product decisions. A committee of salespeople who had input on product selection would be helpful.

Don't believe the "running your own business" within the business hype.

Former Employee - Sales Leader, President's Cabinet
    Former Employee - Sales Leader, President's Cabinet

I worked at Tom James Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pros are that when you are successful, people in the company will constantly tell you how great you are (That can be infectious because who doesn't like to hear what a winner he is?), and that a successful salesperson can earn in excess of $100,000.

Conceptually the business model is terrific.

Cons

I've heard the culture of Tom James Company described in terms of a cult-like environment, or drinking the Kool-Aid, and I absolutely agree. I was a salesperson and sales manager there for more than 12 years, and I received numerous sales and leadership awards (President's Club, President's Cabinet, Team Leadership Award, and many others). I did earn more than $100,000/year for about 10 years, and while I was still there, I didn't object very much to the brainwashing. In fact, as a team/organizational leader, I now see that I helped perpetuate that cult-like culture.

One of the primary ingredients in the Tom James Kool-Aid is to constantly self-promote. Everybody and every company must highlight their strengths, but Tom James takes it to a much higher level. They self-promote to the point of almost ridiculing the fools who work anywhere else. The leadership talks about how much more money Tom James salespeople earn than anybody else in the clothing business working elsewhere, and they harp on it A LOT. I realized after I left that it simply was not the truth.

Another important ingredient in the Tom James Kool-Aid is to require employees to sign a souped-up non-compete agreement, and it doesn't matter the circumstances. The latest one I saw was so restrictive that the purpose was to actually restrict a former salesperson from working in the same industry in any capacity in the ZIP CODES where his clients reside or work. The fact is that most long-term salespeople at TJ have clients scattered all over the place. One of my friends who left several years ago said that his client list included more than 65 zip codes he would have been prevented from working in for 2 years. As a result, many former salespeople ignore the non-compete, but when TJ wants to make an example out of someone, they will spend $250,000 or more litigating against the former salesperson.

Thirdly, the company promotes their privately held stock as if it is more valuable than gold and diamonds. Their own board of directors determine the price. The board of directors also determine the dividend, and they almost always over promote the potential dividend (It is always measly.). The company leadership encourages the salespeople often to project their stock value to grow to enormous wealth, and the gullible salespeople dream of buying their own islands and yachts upon retirement. The problem with that is that the board of directors and they alone get to decide when and if a person can sell his stock. They have been known to limit the buyback to $10,000 per year for several years. And if they don't want to buy it back at all because they don't like what a former salesperson does after he leaves TJ, then they just refuse to buy his stock back at all. The stock purchase agreement clearly states that there is no other market for the stock besides selling it back to TJ. Near the end of my career with TJ, I became convinced that the stock is a farce. I can't think of anyone who was ever "allowed" to cash in his stock and really retire. I can think of many people who after 25-30 years tried to retire and learned that their stock was still controlled by the TJ Board.

And that sums it up: Control. Tom James leadership tries to exercise control over every aspect of the lives of the salespeople. The Kool-Aid drinkers who allow that to happen LOVE the company. Keep that in mind when reading the reviews written by current employees.

Advice to Management

You have "eaten your own cooking" for so long, you probably cannot even recognize the truth in my review. So, you will dismiss me as a "loser." I think I have outlined some of the real reasons your company hasn't increased its sales force in 10 years in spite of your goals to quadruple it. I expect you will continue doing and thinking much as you have done and thought for 40 years. Too bad because the concept is great.