Tom James Company Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.5
Sergio Casalena

Pros
  • They were undoubtedly the most successful people developers in the country (in 7 reviews)

• Sales techniques learned in a direct sales organization (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of the hard work you'll be doing your first 3 years in the business will be (in 7 reviews)

• long hours, you have to put in your time the first couple years to build your clientele (in 7 reviews)

1. Wonderful People and personal growth

Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful People, positive culture, great income potential, great incentives, flexibility, personal growth, serve successful clients. lots of support from TJ to help you succeed. Great leadership

Cons

Really challenging when you start, a lot to learn, must be self motivated.

2. Tom James Review

Former Employee - Administrative Sales Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Sales Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Tom James Company (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Tom James Company was an awesome place to work.

Cons

I have no cons to report.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

3. Administration

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Tom James Company

Pros

I'm in an administrative role at Tom James (we are a small minority compared to the larger sales force). I think it's crucial to have insight as to how a person in an administrative role is treated in a company as they are often the unseen and unheard tireless workers that keep the trains running on time - a crucial cog in the larger mechanism. That said, I've been with Tom James for several years now and have steadily moved up in rank and pay. Not because I've paid my dues, but because I've worked hard and proved myself. This is something that Tom James regards highly and a principle that can be seen throughout the company, no matter the position. Tom James has been a great place to work and will continue to be for many years. I have room to grow, as much as I want. My reality can be as big as my dreams.

Cons

Cons: that Glassdoor makes me write something in here :-\

Advice to Management

Move forward with technology. We're getting there slowly, but i think there's some technology infrastructure that we can improve.

5. Sales Leader

Current Employee - Sales Leader
    Current Employee - Sales Leader

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Tom James provides a fantastic work environment for both personal and professional growth while selling a fun product.

Cons

You need to be a self motivated individual because the job is straight commission after a ramp up training period.

Advice to Management

Continue to look for ways to improve the company and the opportunity.

6. Office Professional

Current Employee - Office Professional/Sales Assistant in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Office Professional/Sales Assistant in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Tom James Company (More than 8 years)

Pros

Co-workers are wonderful. I have been here 9 years. Nice atmosphere to work in, small and quiet. Work without much supervision.

Cons

Position not full-time, if you are looking for full-time.

7. Personal Assistant

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time

Pros

Very flexible work environment, good colleagues. Kind boss, steep learning curve, a very high energy, high trust environment

Cons

Always a very early start, 7:30 am. Completely sales and performance driven, so a lot of stress every 4th week of the month while people try to mak quota

Advice to Management

Support staff are often over looked when it comes to office rewards and bonuses, despite the fact that without them orders wouldn't be uploaded and sales partners would not succeed

It is a cult and a pyramid scheme. OK if you have literally no other option.

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people you work with usually are pretty good. It's a very positive environment. 50% discount on the clothes, which is still pretty expensive but better than full retail.

Cons

The pay sucks, the hours suck, the cult attitude sucks, the micromanagement sucks, the daily phone calling and reading from a script sucks, the wear and tear on your vehicle sucks, having to wear a suit every day sucks, the whole thing just sucks. It is a massive pyramid scheme. If you don't buy in to their cult attitude and drink the kool aid, you will not make it.

Advice to Management

Don't be so greedy. Pay your employees.

9. STRESS!!

I worked at Tom James Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Divisional leaders and CEO are very nice and helpful people. They are very accessible and will actually listen to you if you need help with anything.

Cons

Unethical business practices, tons of lying to clients, very greedy leaders. Anyone who can sell well can be a manager, which doesn't make any sense. Just because you sell well doesn't mean you are suited to be a manger. You have to have zero schooling or experience to manage and it shows with people who should just stick to sales. Lastly, money money money money sales sales sales. If you want something deeper or more meaningful in your job this is not the place. If you want to be a robot and do the same thing over and over and over again and are willing to give up the vast majority of your "free time" then this job can definitely make you a ton of money though. However, this company will make you very materialistic.

Advice to Management

Try to be more aware of the business practices going on. You shouldn't trade more sales for loss of ethics IMO.

10. sales associate

I have been working at Tom James Company (More than a year)

Pros

Your able to create your own schedule

Cons

Stressful if you're not doing well

Sales Leader

Former Employee - Sales Leader
    Former Employee - Sales Leader

I worked at Tom James Company (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice clothing. Excellent benefits for the family. Nice reward trips.

Cons

Leadership is terrible. They say one thing and they do another. It's almost like a pyramid scheme. You have to pay for everything from your business cards, your gas, your cell phone. Pretty much everything. Leaders only care about themselves. It's dog ear dog and survival of the fittest basically. your accounts and referrals will get taken from you. You get lied to routinely. The majority of the company makes less than 60,000.

Advice to Management

Stop reading leadership books and start leading. Start practicing what you preach. Stand on your character and your morals.

RSS Feed </> Embed