Tom James Company

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sergio Casalena

Pros
  • Get to work with successful people and build great connections(in 6 reviews)

• Sales techniques learned in a direct sales organization(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of the hard work you'll be doing your first 3 years in the business will be(in 7 reviews)

• It is a lot of work, long hours, and endless rejection, but so is every other sales job in the world(in 7 reviews)

I have enjoyed the personal growth tremendously and at the same time enjoyed great success financially as well.

Senior Sales Leader (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsThe people are fantastic always encouraging and helping me improve as a person

Consa persons success has a ton to do with there own intestinal fortitude

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to those in the field they have great ideas.

Bait and Switch

Sales Professional (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsControl over your schedule, you own your own business, within the company. You eat what you kill.

ConsLack of training with the clothing and necessary skills as a clothier, this is overlooked completely. They focus on personal goals like "I want to buy a 2015 Maserati" instead of teaching the fundamentals of the job. If you start to under-perform, they basically just cross their fingers that you'll quit so you don't take away from their stock. Also, The lack of the market for this product is a huge stressor. When you're on 100% commission, with no experience, it's hard to survive in this industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement? There is no Management. It's Salespeople running Salespeople and the lack of middle management is very obvious in the high turnover. They have a shotgun approach in hiring..attractive young men and women with zero savings and zero experience. It's like throwing pasta on the wall hoping it sticks. This has to improve or TJ will no survive.

Amazing Experience my employer was awesome

ProsFlexible with time, great co-workers, always a friendly environment

ConsYour working with salesmen and theres strict deadlines

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My brief experience in a cult

Salesperson (Former Employee)

ProsNice to be out of an office most of the day, training trip was at a nice location.

ConsWhere do I start? This was a miserable experience I wouldn't wish on anyone. Very poor leadership. Was required to buy $1,000 suits to wear...not to worry...they take it out of your check. My best day was my last. Would be interested to know the turnover. My guess is 90 percent.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm laughing at all the March brainwashed reviews. Clearly encouraged by tj headquarters.

Great opportunity for someone who wants to earn their success

Sales Professional/Professional Clothier (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsOne of the best things I can say about this company is the culture they instill from the top down. The company really does believe in their mission of "building salespeople and our salespeople build our company". During my time here, I've seen the ups and downs of working a direct sales job, and I can say from experience that everyone (even people who are not directly impacted by your performance) really does want you to do the best you're capable of.

Without giving away too much, Tom James is a privately help company that believes in having the stakeholders of the company being the sales people that help build it.

I think of this mostly as a "pro", but at times it was definitely a "con"...The majority of how you get paid is based off your sales. The earning potential is literally only limited by how many sales you can make in a given month. The reason it was a "con" for me at times is that how little you earn is also directly related to your sales. When I started and even now, they do offer a "training assistance pay" to close the gap between what you sold and what your "base" is. This period lasts 24 months.

ConsBeing a direct sales job, THIS JOB IS NOT FOR EVERYONE. I cannot stress that enough. The job requires a lot of self motivation and a lot of overcoming of obstacles. While the leadership all the way up the chain will always be there to help you with your thinking along the way, no one can MAKE you do that habits required to be successful...that's up to you.

The "ramp up" period of building you book of clientele can take as long, or as short as you make it take. While building my clientele, I'm spending more time in the office than those with established books of business. Some due to my not being as time-efficient than others, and some due to the nature of what it takes to generate new business. Your leaders will help you where they can and definitely help you get started, but it's up to you to keep the momentum up...I didn't do that.

You have to be bought into the idea of delayed gratification. A lot of the hard work you'll be doing your first 3 years in the business will be hard work in the trenches. It's sometimes hard for me to keep sight of the fact that once I have my book established, it is quite the opposite.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing and focusing on the development of your sales people.

Try harder to scare people away during the interview process. That'll help retention I think.

Professtional Clothier

Professional Clothier (Current Employee)

ProsThe people you work with are second to none. Not only are your partners great people but your clients will become some of your best friends. If you do well, the sky is the limit as to how much you can make. The product is the best in the industry and you will learn how to create good habits. They are not just growing sales, they are building people.

ConsYou need to be willing to work hard and get your teeth kicked in. For the first year you will work late and on weekends. After that, you are still a slave to your clients. It eventually is worth it but this is not a job to just "try out". You need to commit and make it a career.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with what the expectations are. Do not constantly talk about activity. Hold people accountable, as well as yourself.

This career has changed my life in the past decade. I'm a better man, Christian, leader, sales consultant, colleague.

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsTom James is all about building people, and letting those people build the company. I've been given so many books, hours, 1on1's, belief, confidence, training, financial guidance, stock options, corporate meetings, national conventions...ALL centered around making the sales force become the best person they can be. Oh, and it just so happens you get to make a six figure income in the process! I've made upwards of $135,000/yr and this year will be over $200,000. My company stock has grown over 14% annually! and I've gotten handsome dividends each year. It's by far the most incredible opportunity on the planet.

ConsA faster delivery time on custom clothing

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to build people. Lay the vision as to what people can have, do and be.

Amazing company

Salesperson (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe potential to earn is limitless. Tom James is incredibly supportive in every aspect of the job- their goal is to foster a career for you, so they really invest in each individual. The training program is excellent and really gives you the resources you need to be successful in every stage of your career. For me, the most important aspect is the happy, positive people who do their jobs with such integrity each day. This keeps you moving forward even on days you are struggling. I've been in luxury sales for years and this is without a doubt the best company I have ever worked for.

ConsWe are all given a lot of responsibility, but also opportunity. We run our businesses as if they were are own and certain times it can be difficult. In order to earn and for the job to be really fun, you have to work extremely hard which can be overwhelming at times.

A place to Thrive

Sales Professional (Current Employee) Tulsa, OK

Pros-There is a culture of growth and advancement here. My leaders continue to invest significant time into helping me with every part of my career even after four years of being with the company.
    -Working with a higher end clientele can really be a rush. There's not another job where I can imagine getting to see clients' art or car collections on a regular basis.
    -I choose who I call on. I have chosen to work with a some doctors, but mostly company executives in my area, and several attorneys.
    -Fantastic incentive trips and company meetings
    -Bonuses are continually more lucrative
    -Stock, 401(k), great health coverage and profit sharing
    -Company operates from a fiscally conservative stance--great for stock growth and long term company health even through recessions.
    -"retire with dignity" is a motto that is frequently used. There are many people I know retiring as millionaires despite never being in upper management.
    -Commissions can be big. I get paid what I'm worth. I make more in my mid 20's than my parents do combined.

Cons-put lots of miles on my car
    -I've gotten several parking tickets
    -In order to grow I have to work on my weaknesses, which is a challenge sometimes.
    -It's not an easy career. If someone is looking for that they should not consider it. Be ready to go to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep making systems smooth--the last few years have been great with training enhancements and technological improvements such as team training and iPad implementation.

Best place to become the best person you can be

Outside Sales Rep/Sales Trainer/Recruiter (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsI love the people I get to work w/ both my colleagues and my clients. My income is directly affected by the amount of effort I put in and there is no earning cap. My territory is based on the referrals I ask for so I don't have to worry about it getting taken away or reduced if I am doing too well or someone new comes onboard. If you want to be in leadership, you can be. There are so many incentives through stock, benefits, 401k matching, vacation and clothing allowance, and trips I can't imagine working anywhere else. I am almost 30 yrs old and of all of my friends have only 2 that have ever said they "love" what they do. After 7 years w/ the company I can say without a doubt I absolutely love my career.

ConsIt is hard work. You have to put a lot of sweat equity in to get out of it what you really want. Every job comes with it's ups and downs, but the benefits of Tom James far outweigh the negatives.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Tom James Company? Contribute to the Community!