Tom James Company

Updated Mar 29, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sergio Casalena

Pros:
  • "Get to work with successful people and build great connections"
    in 6 reviews
  • "The training program is excellent and really gives you the resources you need to be successful in every stage of your career"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "I would just say get ready to work and put the time in to build YOUR business"
    in 5 reviews
  • "It is a lot of work, long hours, and endless rejection, but so is every other sales job in the world"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

This career has changed my life in the past decade. I'm a better man, Christian, leader, sales consultant, colleague.

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time for more than 10 years

ProsTom James is all about building people, and letting those people build the company. I've been given so many books, hours, 1on1's, belief, confidence, training, financial guidance, stock options, corporate meetings, national conventions...ALL centered around making the sales force become the best person they can be. Oh, and it just so happens you get to make a six figure income in the process! I've made upwards of $135,000/yr and this year will be over $200,000. My company stock has grown over 14% annually! and I've gotten handsome dividends each year. It's by far the most incredible opportunity on the planet.

ConsA faster delivery time on custom clothing

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to build people. Lay the vision as to what people can have, do and be.

Be willing to grow yourself personally and you'll find a way to get what you want.

Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere are a lot of great things I've experienced in a couple years with Tom James and the opportunity it's provided for me, but I really think the best part is the individuals I get to work with everyday. Unlike what I've seen in a lot of organizations, my leaders and the people around me care more about helping me reach my goals and develop the kind of person I want to grow into than any company I've worked for. The pay can fluctuate a bit and some might see that as a con, but it's really a huge pro - I'm in control of what I make, just like any sales role. The more I grow myself, the more I grow my income. And I've grown tremendously throughout my time here. As long as you are willing to be challenged to work on yourself, this is an incredible career.

ConsIf you'd like to sit behind a desk all day being paid less than you think you're worth by someone else, you'll see the hard work and challenges you are guaranteed to encounter as a negative. But as an owner in my company, the time, effort, work and challenges are completely worth it.

Best place to become the best person you can be

Outside Sales Rep/Sales Trainer/Recruiter (Current Employee)
Austin, TX

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI love the people I get to work w/ both my colleagues and my clients. My income is directly affected by the amount of effort I put in and there is no earning cap. My territory is based on the referrals I ask for so I don't have to worry about it getting taken away or reduced if I am doing too well or someone new comes onboard. If you want to be in leadership, you can be. There are so many incentives through stock, benefits, 401k matching, vacation and clothing allowance, and trips I can't imagine working anywhere else. I am almost 30 yrs old and of all of my friends have only 2 that have ever said they "love" what they do. After 7 years w/ the company I can say without a doubt I absolutely love my career.

ConsIt is hard work. You have to put a lot of sweat equity in to get out of it what you really want. Every job comes with it's ups and downs, but the benefits of Tom James far outweigh the negatives.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An opportunity that reflects your skill and commitment

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time for more than a year

ProsTom James has created a culture and an opportunity that encourages and incentivizes your success. Run by high caliber individuals who really care about building you as a person, Tom James offers stability (in business since 1966), a great track record (there are a lot of wealthy individuals here who have benefited from their hard work, loyalty and willingness to 'stay'), and an opportunity to take your character driven work ethic and turn it into a great career!

ConsI can't think of any. It's sales. If you don't like cold calling, sales is not for you. If you don't like long hours, success is not for you (Successful people have learned the skill of doing those things that unsuccessful people do not like to do). If you don't like covering your own expenses, or eventually being on straight commission, don't go into sales, because the careers that have the most calculated risk, also have the highest reward.
 And the reward for working hard up front and investing your time into your career, is a fulfilling and financially satisfying future.
Tom James offers stock and dividends and profit sharing, along with a 401K match. That might be hard to value if you are just out of college, but Tom James has many people with a long tenure - that proves something! Work hard, stay, and be rewarded!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. There are few companies in this industry (or in today's financial climate) who can boast of double digit growth and expansion. I truly cannot wait to see where the next 10 years takes us!

Amazing company

Salesperson (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time

ProsThe potential to earn is limitless. Tom James is incredibly supportive in every aspect of the job- their goal is to foster a career for you, so they really invest in each individual. The training program is excellent and really gives you the resources you need to be successful in every stage of your career. For me, the most important aspect is the happy, positive people who do their jobs with such integrity each day. This keeps you moving forward even on days you are struggling. I've been in luxury sales for years and this is without a doubt the best company I have ever worked for.

ConsWe are all given a lot of responsibility, but also opportunity. We run our businesses as if they were are own and certain times it can be difficult. In order to earn and for the job to be really fun, you have to work extremely hard which can be overwhelming at times.

A place to Thrive

Sales Professional (Current Employee)
Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-There is a culture of growth and advancement here. My leaders continue to invest significant time into helping me with every part of my career even after four years of being with the company.
-Working with a higher end clientele can really be a rush. There's not another job where I can imagine getting to see clients' art or car collections on a regular basis.
-I choose who I call on. I have chosen to work with a some doctors, but mostly company executives in my area, and several attorneys.
-Fantastic incentive trips and company meetings
-Bonuses are continually more lucrative
-Stock, 401(k), great health coverage and profit sharing
-Company operates from a fiscally conservative stance--great for stock growth and long term company health even through recessions.
-"retire with dignity" is a motto that is frequently used. There are many people I know retiring as millionaires despite never being in upper management.
-Commissions can be big. I get paid what I'm worth. I make more in my mid 20's than my parents do combined.

Cons-put lots of miles on my car
-I've gotten several parking tickets
-In order to grow I have to work on my weaknesses, which is a challenge sometimes.
-It's not an easy career. If someone is looking for that they should not consider it. Be ready to go to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep making systems smooth--the last few years have been great with training enhancements and technological improvements such as team training and iPad implementation.

People who are successful in life are successful because of who they become from the positive influence of mentors.

Manager (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros“I joined Tom James Company forty years ago full of hope, desire and ambition to be a success and fulfill my lifelong dream of becoming a self - made person. I chose to enter the world of “direct sales” because of the potential to earn unlimited income. However someone forgot to tell me it also has the potential of making no income. My decision to join the Tom James Company was due to the stellar reputation of Mr. Spencer Hays and Mr. Jim McEachern . They were undoubtedly the most successful people developers in the country.

Joining Tom James Company with very little understanding of a 100% commission job was quite shocking. Good news is TJ does not pay that way now. The first two months were acceptable because of a guaranteed base. The third month was when the shock was realized….my net paycheck was a grand $3.95!! Needless to say I was highly demoralized, deflated and disappointed. Then a call from Mr. Jim McEachern, CEO of Tom James Company, changed my life. Along with my parents, Jim has been one of my greatest mentors. He loaned me $250.00 which saved me from a financial crisis. Jim asked me to put my faith in following right principles and promised me that if I followed those success principles, my life would certainly change.

Tom James Company has provided me the opportunity to earn amazing income, build awesome net worth, win fantastic trips and make lasting friendships. However, more than the money and other perks, the principles taught and the culture we believe in, has shaped me into a better salesperson, leader, husband, brother and a friend. I would not be who I am today without my career at Tom James Company.”

ConsAny thing worthwhile in life is always challenging, difficult and demands resolve. Tom James opportunity is just like that.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease keep the same team building and positive culture. Although the rewards at TJ are tremendous, the real draw is it's culture and people.

You determine your success!

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIt's up to you to determine your success. There is a phenomenal training program, but ultimately it is up to you to succeed. Tom James gives you the skills and support to be very successful from the first day you start.

Senior leaders want you to succeed and will work with you over and over again if you need additional support; you just need to be willing to ask and be coachable.

ConsSales is challenging and that means it takes a lot of hard work to have a successful sales career. You will invest time (especially early on in your career), but you also reap the benefits of that time for the long term.

Great Company to work for!

Sales Professional (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time for more than a year

Prosyour co-workers really care about you and helping you reach your personal goals, lots of opportunity to make as much money as you want, you don't sit behind a desk all day, and you get to style your clients in high end clothing!

Conslong hours, you have to put in your time the first couple years to build your clientele

A tremendous opportunity to grow a successful career and also to develop yourself as a person

Boston, MA

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time for more than 10 years

ProsTom James is a company that greatly invests in their people. They truly live out their Vision that they Build People and People Build the company. They are built on principles and continue to make decisions from that perspective. The upside on both short term income and long term financial security, through Stock, 401K, and Profit Sharing, are really strong. The company spends of time and $ to help people build their career. you have the chance to build your business, and your clientele. There is no cap to how much someone wants to make. You have control of your destiny. This is a great place for someone who wants to "Make It Happen". If you are someone who wants no holds put on you and want to progress both financially and also with your career aspirations, it holds all your looking for.

ConsThis is not for someone who wants a salary, it is commission based, so you have to go out and make it work, but the support is there for those that want it, and need it. You have to invest in yourself at the beginning with your time, but any new business requires that, but once you have made that investments, you have a life that you have made.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue your focus on the principles you are built on!

Worked for Tom James Company? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tom James Company reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Tom James Company CEO Sergio Casalena. All 68 reviews posted anonymously by Tom James Company employees.