Tom James Company Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.5
Sergio Casalena

Pros
  • They were undoubtedly the most successful people developers in the country (in 7 reviews)

• Sales techniques learned in a direct sales organization (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of the hard work you'll be doing your first 3 years in the business will be (in 7 reviews)

• long hours, you have to put in your time the first couple years to build your clientele (in 7 reviews)

1. Sales Leader

Current Employee - Sales Leader in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Leader in New York, NY

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time

Pros

The people, the net worth building opportunity, and the principles of the company.

Cons

LOW PAY for the industry we are in. There are many opportunities to compete with higher pay. Same pay for each city when markets such as NYC, LONDON, Washington DC all have higher costs of living. How are you going to recruit new people to work in NYC in the best office in the company but tell them they won't be able to afford living in that actual city?

Advice to Management

Look into ways to keep the retention high in NYC by listening to the employees biggest issues with Tom James which is pay. I would think its safe to say thats the number one biggest issue with employees in TJ NYC. The company needs to do something otherwise we will keep losing Presidents Club members and not growing.

2. Great Benefits, disorganized company

Current Employee - Office Assistant
    Current Employee - Office Assistant

I have been working at Tom James Company part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-benefits are great, even part time employees are offered them -Work is easy -Laid back atmosphere -Corporate is very involved -Pay is competitive

Cons

-Everyone is out for themselves, and blame the assistants for everything -Many racy remarks that if you report are not kept confidential -Assistants are ignored (when there is a bonus meant for the entire store, the sales reps use it all) -Assistants are mistreated (like maids around the office at times...it is not in my job description to do the dishes)

Advice to Management

I know that the sales reps are the most important part of the company, but pay more attention to the assistants. They are treated unfairly many times and not given credit for anything.

3. eh..... kind of a joke

I worked at Tom James Company part-time

Pros

a lot of free reign........ people are given lots of responsibility and trusted before they really should be

Cons

office by office basis...although the one i worked in was totally mismanaged...new interns ((which is supposed to be one of the highlighting features of the company)) were treated like crap and given errands to run instead of learning and "being in the people business" as they say. sales leaders are basically given free reign to run their offices as they wish ....usually by way of lying to corporate through misreporting figures and inventory. do your self a favor and look elsewhere

Advice to Management

keep your sales leaders in check. they are lying to you and manipulating the OM's to run their offices how they want to

5. Wonderful People and personal growth

Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful People, positive culture, great income potential, great incentives, flexibility, personal growth, serve successful clients. lots of support from TJ to help you succeed. Great leadership

Cons

Really challenging when you start, a lot to learn, must be self motivated.

6. Tom James Review

Former Employee - Administrative Sales Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Sales Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Tom James Company (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Tom James Company was an awesome place to work.

Cons

I have no cons to report.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

7. Sales Leader

Current Employee - Sales Leader
    Current Employee - Sales Leader

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Tom James provides a fantastic work environment for both personal and professional growth while selling a fun product.

Cons

You need to be a self motivated individual because the job is straight commission after a ramp up training period.

Advice to Management

Continue to look for ways to improve the company and the opportunity.

8. Office Professional

Current Employee - Office Professional/Sales Assistant in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Office Professional/Sales Assistant in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Tom James Company (More than 8 years)

Pros

Co-workers are wonderful. I have been here 9 years. Nice atmosphere to work in, small and quiet. Work without much supervision.

Cons

Position not full-time, if you are looking for full-time.

9. Administration

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

I'm in an administrative role at Tom James (we are a small minority compared to the larger sales force). I think it's crucial to have insight as to how a person in an administrative role is treated in a company as they are often the unseen and unheard tireless workers that keep the trains running on time - a crucial cog in the larger mechanism. That said, I've been with Tom James for several years now and have steadily moved up in rank and pay. Not because I've paid my dues, but because I've worked hard and proved myself. This is something that Tom James regards highly and a principle that can be seen throughout the company, no matter the position. Tom James has been a great place to work and will continue to be for many years. I have room to grow, as much as I want. My reality can be as big as my dreams.

Cons

Cons: that Glassdoor makes me write something in here :-\

Advice to Management

Move forward with technology. We're getting there slowly, but i think there's some technology infrastructure that we can improve.

Personal Assistant

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time

Pros

Very flexible work environment, good colleagues. Kind boss, steep learning curve, a very high energy, high trust environment

Cons

Always a very early start, 7:30 am. Completely sales and performance driven, so a lot of stress every 4th week of the month while people try to mak quota

Advice to Management

Support staff are often over looked when it comes to office rewards and bonuses, despite the fact that without them orders wouldn't be uploaded and sales partners would not succeed

11. Fear the Cult

Former Employee - Sales Trainer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Trainer in New York, NY

Pros

job to put on a resume

Cons

hire and hire and hire sales people but do not update the factories, so far from custom. It seems as if Tom James as of recent has asked employees in all aspects to post positive reviews on their behalf. The company is designed to fill the pockets of the top share holders. They will hire nearly anyone and do a terrible job of being transparent as to what the job truly entails. the "base' the offer to new employees is fake and predatory. Its a sliding scale/draw in which many cases you wind up owing the company.

Advice to Management

Fire employees who underperform.

RSS Feed </> Embed