Tom Thumb

Updated Jul 1, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Robert L. Edwards

Good company to work for.

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsEveryone I worked with was friendly. There was less chaos than you would typically find at other grocery retailers.

ConsThe management structure here was somewhat flawed. There should have been a better chain of command, but there was not.

Not worth the stress

Assistant Produce Manager (Current Employee) Irving, TX

ProsDecent pay, Good employee discount, fast promotion if chased.

ConsHigher managers are rude, most store directors are very rude, much is expected quickly, limited time to do multiple tasks that require more time (no overtime), shady management, corporate's way of running things or no way (even if it isn't good for a particular store.)

Advice to Senior ManagementHR needs to actually question employees about how the store is doing when involved, same goes out to district managers and 'higher ups'.

Not bad, but not a career

Cash Office Associate (Current Employee)

ProsGreat with working around a school schedule. They also do evaluations once every six months for part timers and once every year for managers.

ConsAlways seem to be cutting hours. No overtime is every allowed even though those who want to stay longer are the ones that deserve to be paid.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like people instead of cattle and perhaps you will get a workforce that desires to come to work everyday.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

So . . . So . . .

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSometimes management is great!

ConsOther times it's complete rubbish!

Advice to Senior ManagementStep up your game!

nice environment

Assistant Produce Manager (Current Employee) Plano, TX

Prosthe employees are so nice and helpful

Consmore Management than hourly employees

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Deli Clerk

Deli Clerk (Former Employee) Plano, TX

ProsEasy interview process, and a quick hire for a summer job.

ConsNot the best working conditions.

It is frustrating because of the lack of power at store level

Assistant Produce Manager (Current Employee) Grapevine, TX

ProsGreat products, nice and clean work environment

ConsUpper management does not listen to employees

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to each store individual instead of treating stores as a whole

Good place to start

Cake Decorator (Former Employee)

ProsThere are opportunities for those who wish to make this your career; education, training, etc.
    Company tries to create a sense of community with employees, but it's up to store management on the effectiveness of the company's effort.
    Tend to pay better than most for specialized jobs.
    Benefits are ok for those who work full time.
    Most of the upper management really do care and appreciate employees.
    Usually an enjoyable atmosphere.

ConsStore management can make or break the community feel.
    Managers tend to tell you what you want to get what they want, get important things in writing cause they tend to not recall otherwise.
    Coworkers can be very unprofessional, lazy, and immature; reprimands from supervisors are rare unless a customer complains, or they just don't like you.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fair, honest, and hold department managers accountable for their actions or lack there of. And for upper management, pay attention to what's really going on in the stores, "Undercover Boss" would help you tremendously. When everyone has to work extra hard and long before a management store visit, there's a problem; everyone should be able to work as usual; proper staffing would be one solution. Giving the departments what they need to get the job done properly and effectively would be a key part of the solution; most of the stores are understaffed due to hour cut backs and management trying to keep overhead expenses down to secure their bonuses.

Tom Thumb is a great place for me...

Cashier/Front End (Current Employee) Arlington, TX

Prosgood training; good management; great customers; able to determine days scheduled-Very accommodating to my schedule

Consbetter pay would be great but it is by no means horrible

Advice to Senior ManagementPolicy implementation should be consistent. Oftentimes different management personnel adhere to policy differently which can end up making the employee non-compliant in certain policies (out of state license approval, etc.).

A great first time opportunity to work there

Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) Richardson, TX

ProsIt is a great place to get a first time job and experience.

ConsThe times that I put to work may not reflect the time I have available. The schedule is random and unexpecting.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage and understand your workers if they do not have the time to work due to unexpected events and school.

Worked for Tom Thumb? Contribute to the Community!